Diablo® III

Well I am getting frustrated

So I have beaten the game. I have played pretty well up to Mp2 and feel my technique is good but really have a hard time mp4 and up. Can anyone see any huge mistakes I am making with my build or equipment? All of my equipment so far has either been found or bought through my hard farming work. I really dont have the money for large upgrades But I am tempted to spend some real cash to get about 100 mil in in game money but I am not sure that will help me that much. Most upgrades seem to be far higher if I want to see more than 5-10k more damage.

So anyways if noone wants to give suggestions or if anyone wants to then any input would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to totally change everything if needed. I have been playing around with builds to find one that works well with me but I am not stuck in any particular one.

One aside, I am upgrading to slotted weapons next. I have 80 crit gems ready. I also haven't invested in gems yet in my armor. that will be next.
Reply Quote
It might just be me but I think your resistances are a little low, may want to get that up another 100 or so. Also your DPS is kinda low, if you are putting in those crit gems for the sockets then you want to add more crit chance to your gear so you are more likely to crit that extra damage. I'd start by gettin 5%+ crit on your bracers and then try and get a better belt and ring (the cure one).
Reply Quote
Yeah I think I will have to sacrifice some dex for that since I am poor but I have been working on my crit. I actually have 6% from new bracers that dont show up there yet. My resistance I am also trying to figure out where to increase my resist at again without sacrificing too much DPS.
Reply Quote
I am currently crushing MP4. It's probably your resistances. Try dropping Overawe in favor of Hard Target for a while. Can't hurt.
Reply Quote
Resistance adds up to (220+261) = 481; which is way too low.

Aim for 600 AR.

Your dps needs to increase further - try to find weapons with socket then emerald them.
Whilst looking for weapons - worthwhile to look at Lifesteal weapons instead of LOH. You'll be needed LS for higher mp lvls against reflect affix.

So weapon - Lifesteal/Open socket/CD/DEX

For all your gear - try to get Crit Chance and Crit Damage - major upgrade to dps

I don't use Guardian's Path for dual weilding. I prefer Beacon of Ytar so i can use my serenity/sss more. Resolve or Pacism are also popular.

Just in case you look at my profile - I am doing the TR build at the moment.
Reply Quote
you have ZERO crit damage on your weapons? thats an issue. add me i have tons of old poison monk equipment. Also, no shame in putting in money dude. but don't buy from RMAH, buy gold then buy from the gold auction house. i put in 30 bucks which is about 75 mil and brought my dps up by 50k and run mp7 comfortably. My logic is, spend money on things that you're gonna keep using, as opposed to fast food and such.
Reply Quote
What do you mean by having a hard time? Do you constantly die? Or do you kill stuff too slowly? Or both?

Your crit chance is alright, so is your attack speed, but your crit damage is very very low at +87%. I know you'll upgrade your weapons soon, which will help a lot. Try to get at least 300% crit damage.

I think you could use a bit more sustain, so when you'll purchase your next weapon(s), consider having some ls/loh on em

The ring on the right could use an upgrade too; if you find one with good ave. damage, dex, crit chance and ias, it'll upgrade your dps by a lot. I don't know what's your budget, but I just checked on the AH and there are a couple of decent ones under 5m. Some of them have poison resist and loh too.

Try to find some gloves with poison resist instead of phys
Reply Quote
I'd just keep farming. I'm not sure how much you've spent on your current gear, but I feel like you could have probably optimised it a little better.
Reply Quote
You have some really good gear, and seem to have a pretty good idea of the stats you need to go for. That being said, there are a few changes that I would recommend that should have you performing a lot better:

#1: the 3rd best monk passive is beacon of ytar, you should replace guardian's path with this. the cooldown reduction gives you more uptime on blinding flash and serenity, which in turn gives you a lot more offence and defence.

#1A: Fire ally is not a good choice for your 6th skill. Your other 5 skills are perfect. Blinding flash blazing wrath is generally the best choice for your 6th skill, but there are still other choices that trump fire ally such as dashing strike, cyclone strike, or tempest rush

#2:You are a cyclone monk. Therefore:

2A: You need to get lifesteal on one (preferably both) of your weapons because cyclones and sweeping winds do not proc life on hit, and health globes and skills are not reliable enough for tough elites. [Incidentally, thunderclap procs a lot of life on hit, so you can also incorporate life on hit if you wish, but I wouldn't recommend relying on it completely as the lifesteal from your cyclones will generally out-perform even the highest amounts of life on hit ]

2B: You need to focus on spawning cyclones. You need attack speed and crit chance where ever possible. Get max rolls everywhere you can. If you want to keep your blackthorne's set, at least drop down to the 2 piece and get crit chance on the amulet.
Reply Quote
Grats for getting so far without spending money. I was no where near you when i was at 3k elite kills.
Start by getting your gear set up. Incorrect resist or no resist in 3 pieces, ring-helm-gloves.
With the way prices are you should be able to do this without too much trouble.
Reply Quote
the gear combination is similar to my monk's, i play in EU region with US version D3, so real money trading is a fairy tale to me, i was so crazy about farming and bidding, you'll see my achievement on gear, i had no problem within mp8. now my monk needs to upgrade my offhand wp by the one with LS so as to survive in mp9 &10.
Edited by Devastator#6867 on 12/4/2012 9:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wow thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I am tracking on the gear. Sadly it is budget right now. I am going to keep farming cash right now and perhaps spend some on RMAH to get some gold after a few weeks of farming if it doesnt work out. Pretty much any resists that dont match up are cause I sacrificed resist for more damage and other stuff was sacrifices as well.

When I state that I have a hard time it is basically a hard time relative to effective farming. I dont feel I should be slowing down while farming(slow down due to tough rolls on elites). If I have to slow down then I probably need to drop MP which is what I do. I have successfully cleared parts of MP 7 but I would never farm at that level(I spent more than I made).

Survivability is my new focus. I cant afford to upgrade both weapons atleast until I get gold on the RMAH but I will upgrade one to socket/lifesteal. I will also start working in Resists where I can. Most likely sacrificing somewhere. Sadly I am at my own personal fiscal cliff when it comes to improvements. I dont really want to drop more than 200 dex while doing this but I think that will be the most likely statistic along with about 5-10k of life.
Reply Quote
for crit chance and crit damage..

your crit chance is 28.5 + 5 = 33.5

to optimize your crit damage you need + 235 %

why

coz

5 + 5 = 10
2 + 8 = 10

but

5 x 5 = 25
2 x 8 = 16

get your res to 600 and add some LS then you'll be hundreds^^

edit: dont worry so much about dex you have more than me and i faceroll mp5. focus on the multipliers for now then add the dex later when it gives better returns..
Edited by juniorRC#2189 on 12/5/2012 3:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
The first first first upgrade for you is definitely Life Steal. Just by having 2.7% LS you are able to advance to MP4 easily. Rest of you gear are fine, for up to MP4, your armor is overkill, HP is overkill, AR is good, real DPS is good too. Alternatively getting 45+ LPSS and swapping GP for Transcendence works too. But LS is pretty much needed for MP6 onwards.
Please also note that the more offensively you're geared the faster you die from reflect damage affix in higher MP if your sustain stays the same. So before improving any offensive stat you need to improve you character's sustain first.

Skill wise, you should try to include Dashing Strike. It's basically Serenity without cooldown, with enough practice. Breaks free of Jailer and avoids ground hazards, and cannot be frozen while dashing too.

Most of the people that can handle higher MP not only they have better gear, but because they play for longer and hence more skillful. So take your time, enjoy the game, or, play a lot more :D

Lastly if you want to improve your DPS without spending a dime, there are already plenty of alternatives posting on this forum this week alone, they are all better than the current cookie cutter. Then of course I'd recommend my Tiger Strike lol:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aUSdbk!gZU!abccca

Way more DPS, way more sustain, way faster farming speed ;)
Reply Quote
Wow thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I am tracking on the gear. Sadly it is budget right now. I am going to keep farming cash right now and perhaps spend some on RMAH to get some gold after a few weeks of farming if it doesnt work out. Pretty much any resists that dont match up are cause I sacrificed resist for more damage and other stuff was sacrifices as well.

When I state that I have a hard time it is basically a hard time relative to effective farming. I dont feel I should be slowing down while farming(slow down due to tough rolls on elites). If I have to slow down then I probably need to drop MP which is what I do. I have successfully cleared parts of MP 7 but I would never farm at that level(I spent more than I made).

Survivability is my new focus. I cant afford to upgrade both weapons atleast until I get gold on the RMAH but I will upgrade one to socket/lifesteal. I will also start working in Resists where I can. Most likely sacrificing somewhere. Sadly I am at my own personal fiscal cliff when it comes to improvements. I dont really want to drop more than 200 dex while doing this but I think that will be the most likely statistic along with about 5-10k of life.

I'm going to be "that guy" and tell you that you wasted a lot of gold on set pieces / legendaries that aren't helping you.

You say you can't afford to upgrade your weapons ... yet I just looked in the AH and found a sword for 50k buyout that (assuming you are using that 80% CD gem) is a 5k dps upgrade over your EF (and it's not even completely black damage to take advantage of your WKL!).

Follow that up with replacing your OH ring with a 100k buyout ring that would raise your DPS by another 6k and has 34 vitality to boot (resists about the same).

Your resists are super low because you bought set items with rolls like 93 LpS, Arcane Resist, 43 str/40 dex, 21% extra gold, 13% extra gold, health globes grant 1797 health.
Reply Quote
I also thought that going poison was for people who wanted to use Andy's as a cheapo version of a mempo
Reply Quote
for crit chance and crit damage..

your crit chance is 28.5 + 5 = 33.5

to optimize your crit damage you need + 235 %

why

coz

5 + 5 = 10
2 + 8 = 10

but

5 x 5 = 25
2 x 8 = 16

I don't understand why 235% is the target. Please explain.
Reply Quote

I'm going to be "that guy" and tell you that you wasted a lot of gold on set pieces / legendaries that aren't helping you.

You say you can't afford to upgrade your weapons ... yet I just looked in the AH and found a sword for 50k buyout that (assuming you are using that 80% CD gem) is a 5k dps upgrade over your EF (and it's not even completely black damage to take advantage of your WKL!).

Follow that up with replacing your OH ring with a 100k buyout ring that would raise your DPS by another 6k and has 34 vitality to boot (resists about the same).

Your resists are super low because you bought set items with rolls like 93 LpS, Arcane Resist, 43 str/40 dex, 21% extra gold, 13% extra gold, health globes grant 1797 health.
The EF I actually recieved for free from my brother but Yeah I have alot of sets and legendary. I got them because they were really cheap at the end of timers and that was easier to follow for me than random rares. I have spent probably 5-7 mil total on my gear. I do have 800k for upgrades but I have been hesitating and wanted advice because I feel that I use the calculators, then buy and my calculations are many times wrong.
I actually really didnt even want this many set/legendary cause I didnt want to look like that guy but they were for some reason better values than rares at that same level.
Reply Quote
Now crushing MP5. Just started Act 2 and ran all the way to Maghda without dying. Four rare elite packs, eight champ packs, two unique elites (including Shatterbone, who hits hard enough to nearly one-shot me), and Maghda. It's your resistances, which includes Overawe. Switch it up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]