Diablo® III

Is D3 a good game?

He made a good game.

He didn't make a good Diablo game.

-st4cks http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7321712207

Someone wrote this in another thread, and I believe it to be the most succinct and correct opinion I've ever read on the subject.

An analogy I wrote to illustrate why I think it's a good game, but not necessarily a good Diablo game:

Jay Wilson was essentially handed a slightly rusty, slightly beaten up 1955 Corvette that he was supposed to restore to showroom quality (Diablo 2 LoD with YEARS of work put in on patches, fixes, and improvements).

Instead of hammering out some small dings while adding shine and polish to the great factory car already there, he decided to replace the bumpers and panels with custom models, strip the leather interior for his favorite mediocre fabric, gutted the dash board, threw out the floor mats, and added flame decals and a spoiler. Then he followed it up with a yellow-green with purple polka-dot paint job (Scrapped the skill and stat system, gave Diablo bewbs, updated the graphics but probably went overboard and now it's not dark enough. Also cut charms, runes, jewels, crafting sucks, there's no gold sink to help stabilize the economy).

For some reason, he decided to present the car as ready for the showroom with no wheels (no PvP, everyone moves rather slow), but promised everyone that attended the car show a month later via mail that the wheels are on the way - then had to text them and say, oops, wheels aren't on the way just yet (PvP blog/twitter thing).

--

And so there it sits in the showroom. It's pretty obvious that the car is a '55 Vette, but it's Jay Wilson's '55 Vette. All anyone wanted was that it look like a Chevy - the classic they all knew and loved, but with a shiny new paint job, no dings in the door, and some nice shiny new chrome on the wheels.

...dammit why doesn't this car have wheels?

This restored car is good. The engine works. You can drive it for days, and enjoy the ride. But it doesn't ride like you remember the 55 Chevy riding.

He made a good game...but not necessarily a good Diablo game.
Edited by innervation#1543 on 12/6/2012 9:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
D3 should have been a $15 game on Steam - 50% off ($7.50) for the holidays.
Reply Quote
See I wouldn't go that far...I played for hundreds of hours. I definitely got my money's worth, but I still fail to see why so many things that made 'diablo' 'diablo' were scrapped.
Reply Quote
Bump. I want jewels and runes back.
Reply Quote
If I could draw cartoons I would love to draw the Jay Wilson corvette
Reply Quote
its not a good game... its awesome
Reply Quote
Best game ever made. This game should cost 100 dollars. Maybe 80
Reply Quote
when has blizzard made a sequile where the new game is just a small upgrade from the old?

every new game they change the game a whole lot that each game is completly identifyable within them.

the warcraft franchise is a solid example of this
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 01:53 PMPosted by vexorian
Still a better love story than twilight.

You're not setting the bar very high.
Reply Quote
It has its special moments (paragon/uber), it has its boring moments (repetitive grinding), its a very good game overall, yet not great in many ways. Therefore, I do hope expansions in future will make the game even better.
Reply Quote
when has blizzard made a sequile where the new game is just a small upgrade from the old?

every new game they change the game a whole lot that each game is completly identifyable within them.

See but this was pretty much universally accepted as the 'most anticipated sequel ever'. The reason? Because D2 was so good. D2 didn't need a whole lot of change.
Edited by innervation#1543 on 12/5/2012 7:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
Pretty sure he left out the brakes, the steering wheel, and several other parts, but don't worry, future versions shall return them for a small fee!
Reply Quote

war1 and 2 were pretty similar. the interfaces were different but the game was the same (cept 2 had air and sea). 3 was drastically different with heroes introduced. anyway...im gonna go play some frozen throne on the west coast server @ ticklemepanda player name if anyone wants to join. pce.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 02:13 PMPosted by innervation
I still fail to see why so many things that made 'diablo' 'diablo' were scrapped.

It is call marketing strategy to milk more money aka expansions.
Reply Quote
I mean if you do the game right the first time all you have to do is add another act and ppl will buy an expansion.
Reply Quote
Is Diablo 3 a good game? Yeah, it's a pretty good game.

It's a god awful ARPG though, maybe the worst I've ever played.
Reply Quote
Is Diablo 3 a good game? Yeah, it's a pretty good game.

It's a god awful ARPG though, maybe the worst I've ever played.

I don't see how it's a good game in any respect. A game without customization, with woeful replayability, with nothing going for it whatsoever other than a brand name and nice animations? With built-in pay-to-win? With a seemingly deliberate downgrade in so many features to its predecessor? In which genre does it excel? As a screensaver? As a secondary source of income, from botting?
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Xuu
its not a good game... its awesome

mindless?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]