Diablo® III

Is D3 a good game?

View profile
12/05/2012 01:51 PMPosted by innervation
correct opinion

Correct opinion? I don't think you know what the term "opinion" means.

Regardless, I've played Diablo games since D1 on my Pentium 75MHz Packard Bell. I love Diablo 3 and I think it is an excellent game. Could it use some improvements? Sure, nothing is ever perfect. But I don't think it deserves even a small fraction of the blind hatred that it receives.
Reply Quote

This doesn't apply considering Blizzard has been off track since 2005 when they fired the whole North division.

Diablo 3 has been a farce for the past several development years and there is nothing Blizzard can do to fix the game - it is fundamentally flawed.

The only solution to bring the Diablo franchise back from the dead is for Blizzard to rehire key players from North, and bring out Diablo 4, the true successor to Diablo 2.

Yeah, because those Blizzard North guys have been making such awesome things since their departure. Clearly they were the brains of the operation.

um.. torchlight2 has been pretty awesome led by the schaefer bros & matt uelmen and doesn't have a forum on fire like D3.
Marvel heroes online led by brevik seems to be getting a good reception.
Clearly they all went their own ways and made their own titles without Blizzard behind them as the team. So...yeah that's pretty awesome.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 12/6/2012 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
12/06/2012 10:27 AMPosted by SIONG
Yeah, because those Blizzard North guys have been making such awesome things since their departure. Clearly they were the brains of the operation.

they fired or quit ?
if fired, why?

The short version is that Blizzard North's original plan was to make Diablo 3 an MMO, but that conflicted with Blizzard HQ because they were hard at work on World of WarCraft, so Blizzard North was asked to make some changes. Rather than complying, they sent a letter to the president of Vivendi and said, "Either give us more say in the overall direction of the company, or we'll resign." The president of Vivendi shrewdly called their bluff and said, "In that case, I accept your resignations."

Basically, they talked themselves out of a job. They then went on to create Hellgate: London, which was a terrible game by all accounts, and none of the former heads of Blizzard North have really done anything notable since with the exception of the Schaefer Bros. who were lucky enough to hitch their wagon to Travis Baldree at Runic.
Reply Quote
View profile
So for you it had to be a perfect copy of D2:LOD with prettier graphics and a different story. That would not have sold as well IMO, look if I wanted to play D2:LOD then I would install it and play it. When I bought this game I knew what I was getting and like what I saw. Sure I knew that there would be flaws that needed fixing the same thing happened to D2 vanilla.

I did not expect Blizz to just regurgitate D2:LOD with prettier graphics with a few improvements and maybe a different story. Tyrael said that the world would change, and I expected it to change.

I would really like to see everything that Blizz North was planning to do for D3. You might not have liked it as much as you think.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/07/2012 06:49 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
I would really like to see everything that Blizz North was planning to do for D3. You might not have liked it as much as you think.

Hellgate: London was essentially ex-Blizzard North's attempt to make Diablo 3 without Blizzard, and it was terrible.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 07:07 AMPosted by MountainMan

Hellgate: London was essentially ex-Blizzard North's attempt to make Diablo 3 without Blizzard, and it was terrible.

Oh look it's not dead.
http://hellgate.t3fun.com/News/Notice_List.aspx
Reply Quote
when has blizzard made a sequile where the new game is just a small upgrade from the old?

every new game they change the game a whole lot that each game is completly identifyable within them.

the warcraft franchise is a solid example of this

Perfect example of why warcraft 3 was such a huge fail...that's how I view it anyway. I hated heros being mandatory and crap. That was stupid.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 07:14 AMPosted by KainDraven
Perfect example of why warcraft 3 was such a huge fail...that's how I view it anyway. I hated heros being mandatory and crap. That was stupid.

I disagree, that's where dota1 spawned thanks to heroes. although yes it sort of existed on starcraft a bit but the hero-ing solidified the concept.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 12/7/2012 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
12/07/2012 07:07 AMPosted by MountainMan

I do not think so, the ones that failed the game was Flagship Studios. The game was a good game and it is back here in the States as you should already know.

12/07/2012 07:13 AMPosted by KradisZ

Oh look it's not dead.
http://hellgate.t3fun.com/News/Notice_List.aspx

Yeah I know it is not dead, that is one of the games that I use if I begin to feel burned out on this game and need a break for a while.
Reply Quote
you know, I got it for free with the annual pass, and I'm having fun with it. Sure it can be polished, but we have plenty of time and blizzard will keep making changes to it, and since it's free to play, we can comeback whenever we want and see what's happening. I'm pretty sure it's only going to get better, and they'll prolly throw an expansion at us, to get Adria and bring Leah back (we need a pokedex for Diablo IV) so I can only look forward to it. I enjoy it, a few hours at a time, and I have genuine fun :)
Reply Quote
This is the dumbest comment I've had the misfortune of reading. Why don't you just literally give all of mommy and daddy's money to Blizzard because you clearly lack any mentality besides that of a brainless consumer.
Reply Quote
The game is what you want it to be. So make up your own mind, if you got one !
Reply Quote
No.

D1 and D2 were good.
D3 is definitely not a good game.
Reply Quote
+1 to you OP
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 05:32 AMPosted by MountainMan

they fired or quit ?
if fired, why?

The short version is that Blizzard North's original plan was to make Diablo 3 an MMO, but that conflicted with Blizzard HQ because they were hard at work on World of WarCraft, so Blizzard North was asked to make some changes. Rather than complying, they sent a letter to the president of Vivendi and said, "Either give us more say in the overall direction of the company, or we'll resign." The president of Vivendi shrewdly called their bluff and said, "In that case, I accept your resignations."

Basically, they talked themselves out of a job. They then went on to create Hellgate: London, which was a terrible game by all accounts, and none of the former heads of Blizzard North have really done anything notable since with the exception of the Schaefer Bros. who were lucky enough to hitch their wagon to Travis Baldree at Runic.

Shrewdly called their bluff? Mm, ditching people who made by far the most loved ARPG in the world, defs "shrewd". Might want to look up the definition of the word.

We're all well aware of why Hellgate: London failed. That's another thing you might want to lock up.

Wait, this is MountainMan - thought I had it on ignore, so the forums might make a little more sense. Solved. Back on track.

D3 isn't worth the money, in my opinion. Sure, it's playable, but it's not rewarding, it's not challenging, it's not thought-provoking, there's no character customization, there's no PvP, there's no social aspect to it whatsoever. If you particularly want to stay at home and earn 4$ an hour or less making money selling things on its Auction House (y'know, the thing that every droprate in the game is designed around) then it might be your cup of tea.
Reply Quote
See but this was pretty much universally accepted as the 'most anticipated sequel ever'. The reason? Because D2 was so good. D2 didn't need a whole lot of change.

D2 built in the D3 engine with a few tweaks? Do you really think all the D2 super fans would play that game for another 10+ years? Why would someone spend 1/5th of their life playing pretty much the exact same game? I stopped playing D2 because I got bored of it. I played D3 because it was something different.

I'm getting too old grind my life away on one thing. Plus I'm mature enough to realize the fun and opinions I had when I was a kid were different then. I didn't enjoy Diablo 2 JUST because it was a great game. It's all about context. How many ARPGs I played before I played Diablo 2. What other games were available at the time. This is why that "rose tinted glasses" say is so absolutely true. Nothing will ever be as good as Diablo 2 WAS back then.
Edited by Connatic#1376 on 12/8/2012 9:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
D3 = Michael Bay movie.

It is REALLY that simple.

People farm because they think they will receive great rewards plus more gameplay. I WILL admit that the gameplay has at least improved with the introduction of paragon, uber, MP etc. Those modes should have been standard or at LEAST content that was on par upon release.

Blizz/Jiz Wilson better make good on the expansion or they actually might face worse commercial scrutiny.

Sorry J, it was too easy.
Reply Quote
It's as good and as fun as you choose to make it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]