Diablo® III

Is it alright to use Autohotkey?

I am playing a CM Wizard which is very button-mashy class. I have to constantly spam Frost nova, Diamond skin and Explosive blast to efficiently kill stuff and stay alive.

My question is - can I use Autohotkey without getting banned to macro my hot-keys to spam those abilities while keys are being held instead of constantly spamming them like in this Kripparians video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcewYKebsx4
Reply Quote
I'm wondering the same exact thing. It's kinda hard to know because you're still playing the game but you don't have to wear out your keys and fingers. Also, there are mouses that has scriptable buttons so how could those be forbidden?? Any1?
Reply Quote
Any Program that helps you gain a advantage that is not provided by blizzard is considered to be Breaking rules. So No i dont think its ok.

But i could be wrong, can you explain more about "auto hot key"
Does it require a program to be used? if it does then its not allowed.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.
Original Post for Leveling your Paragon Levels Fast!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7179478144?page=5

KrazyBosnians!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM1JBAsjedc

Keep on Gaming Diablo 3!!
Edited by NeLLy#1854 on 12/7/2012 8:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 key = 3 actions, you'll get banned I think
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't think so. If it's fully-automated then it would be. As long as the macro functions when a real person clicks it, its allowed. Why else would they be selling hardware over the online store that's capable to do macros if they won't allow it.
Reply Quote
I am playing a CM Wizard which is very button-mashy class. I have to constantly spam Frost nova, Diamond skin and Explosive blast to efficiently kill stuff and stay alive.

My question is - can I use Autohotkey without getting banned to macro my hot-keys to spam those abilities while keys are being held instead of constantly spamming them like in this Kripparians video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcewYKebsx4

using macros or anything similar is breaking the ToS so keep bashing the buttons
Reply Quote
View profile
... yet multiboxing is allowed...

Sense you no make.
Reply Quote
I use it. I could not play my wizard without it.

It is no different than if you mash 3 keys at the same time and you have a keyboard that can process the mashing properly. If you don't have this kind of keyboard, basically you are using a keyboard program to simulate a gaming keyboard.

No, this is not a violation of the TOS. In no way are you exploiting the game as this is a software driver for hardware that is available on most gaming keyboards today. It in no way allows you to do anything you could not do with a standard piece of hardware.

If people took broad strokes at "anything that gives you an advantage" than things like rich kids with money for the RMAH should also be banned. People with faster than normal reaction times should be banned. People with top gamings sytems should be banned. See where it could go?

Autohotkey is a keyboard macro that does not do ANY automation without input from the user. As long as the user is controlling that input manually, it does not violate TOS.
Reply Quote
Any Program that helps you gain a advantage that is not provided by blizzard is considered to be Breaking rules. So No i dont think its ok.

But i could be wrong, can you explain more about "auto hot key"
Does it require a program to be used? if it does then its not allowed.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.
Original Post for Leveling your Paragon Levels Fast!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7179478144?page=5

KrazyBosnians!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM1JBAsjedc

Keep on Gaming Diablo 3!!

Multiboxing is using a 3rd party program to play 3 accounts for you, how would autohotkey be not allowed then? Since all it does is play your account for you also.
Reply Quote
Autohotkey is a keyboard macro that does not do ANY automation without input from the user. As long as the user is controlling that input manually, it does not violate TOS.

dont bet on it. if you have a billion gold i would let a friend hold it for you so that if you do get banned, its not a total loss

holding down 1 key to press 3 separate keys many times a second is not in line with ToS
Reply Quote
I used XPadder to play with my gamepad and I'm still here.
Reply Quote
Wow.... you want to hit one key fast instead of several.... that sounds like a fun time. You must be having a lot of fun.

Perma-freeze ... I'd rather play puzzle pirates.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/07/2012 09:18 AMPosted by DeadRu
I don't think so. If it's fully-automated then it would be. As long as the macro functions when a real person clicks it, its allowed. Why else would they be selling hardware over the online store that's capable to do macros if they won't allow it.

Another person that has missed the age of reason. The macro can fuire off many skills faster than a person clicking.

As for the mouse blizzard named it D3 so what . They make more than D3 and it is not hard to imagine they wanted a mouse that could be used across the board. That has nothing to do with the games rules.

Don't they have the same ToS? No macro/bots allowed on any of their game? Why would D3 be any different? I'm not only referring to D3 hardware they're trying to sell.
Reply Quote
autohotkey is not allowed

there used to be a thread in the wiz forum that was full of autohotkey scripts

Blizz deleted the thread

why would they delete it if they had no problem with it
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 08:56 AMPosted by Rahan95

I think you'd never played with that. It isn't 1key 3actions, it's 1key 3actions ON LOOP.

To OP:

Every Wiz use it, it's essential for the build. If Blizz is serious about that, 1/5 of the players base would be disappeared.

It have nothing to do with power. Would I get banned if I use a touchscreen instead of mouse?

Blizz may or may not be able to detect it but its "don't tell, don't ask".
Edited by stefan#3330 on 12/7/2012 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote

I think you'd never played with that. It isn't 1key 3actions, it's 1key 3actions ON LOOP.

On loop or not, isn't it an unfair advantage compared to a wiz smashing those 3 buttons all the time ?

This a dead horse. Summary of the previous posts from the 6 previous months :

- No blue ever confirmed whether Autohotkey is allowed. Several players opened tickets and all got different replies.
- Some players claimed they got banned for using autohotkey but there was always a doubt in game macro was not the only thing they were using autohotkey for (AH bot for example)
- Common conscensus was autohotkey would be very hard to spot if used for MF gear swapping (action happening randomly) but fairly easy if used permanently (such as what OP is suggesting today)

Take your chances or not, your call. You wont get a clear cut answer on that matter
Edited by Rahan95#2902 on 12/7/2012 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
A question about the ToS is something Blizzard should want to answer.
Reply Quote
its illegal, but almost impossible to detect.
Reply Quote
From Terms Of Use
"DURING YOUR REGISTRATION FOR THE BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT YOU GRANT YOUR CONSENT TO THE FOLLOWING: WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER’S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE GAME. AN “UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM” AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE PROHIBITED BY SECTION 2. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, THE GAME MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER."

SECTION 2
"The license granted to you in Section 1 above is subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 1 and 2 (collectively, the “License Limitations”). Any use of the Game in violation of the License Limitations will be regarded as an infringement of Blizzard’s copyrights in and to the Game. You agree that you will not, under any circumstances use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the Game experience, including without limitation, mods that violate the terms of this License Agreement or the Terms of Use;"

Those programs as well as any program that macros is against the rules whether it is being used to bot or not

However you are in luck because apparently blizzard does not inforce the rules much at all or there wouldnt be macro bots all over the AH and pub games
Edited by Stealthe#1993 on 12/7/2012 10:32 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]