Diablo® III

Is it alright to use Autohotkey?

12/07/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Shelendil
A question about the ToS is something Blizzard should want to answer.

But never did =(
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:09 AMPosted by treZealot
its illegal, but almost impossible to detect.

not too sure if it's illegal or not but it's true that its almost impossible to detect.
warden is not allow to scan for active process and will not be able to find autohotkey.exe running. all it know is that someone if pressing 3 keys very fast and very consistently.

it has no grounds or prove to ban the said person.

I mean Blizz saying "Hey you press Key 1 followed by a .5 sec then Key 2 then another .7 sec then Key 3. And you repeated this consistently without any sign of fatigure. But I cannot find the prove that you are using a illegal software but I am gonna ban you anyway for being so consistent". It will be like charging a person for murder without ever finding the murder weapon.
Reply Quote
This is really several questions I think.

1.) Do the ToS and CMs say you could possibly be banned for this?

Yes.

2.) Can they detect it?

If you don't use a delay: yes.
If you do use a delay: maybe, but probably not. (Just don't get too cute with your macros.)
If you do use a delay and know what you are doing: no.

3.) Will they ban you for this?

Almost certainly not. See 4.

4.) Will they ban you if you get carried away and start doing nefarious things?

If the answer to 2 is yes, and the things are naughty enough. Multi-boxing is right on the line in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they start banning for this. They really just want you to be at your computer while you are playing...and multi-boxing still counts as "being at your computer", kinda. If you are careless and make your macros detectable and have an odd playing schedule or playing behavior, that's when you might get banned.

EDIT: And perhaps the most interesting question:
5.) Why doesn't Blizzard come right out and say this?

There's a difference between what a player is banned for officially, and the true reason he is banned. Players officially get banned for automating actions, because this is what Blizzard can prove. The true reason they are banned is because they automate a part of the game to happen while they're away from their computer. Inconveniently, this is much harder to prove. If Blizzard clarified this distinction they would be condoning the actions they are officially banning for.
Edited by Ramshackle#1917 on 12/7/2012 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Any Program that helps you gain a advantage that is not provided by blizzard is considered to be Breaking rules. So No i dont think its ok.

But i could be wrong, can you explain more about "auto hot key"
Does it require a program to be used? if it does then its not allowed.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.
Original Post for Leveling your Paragon Levels Fast!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7179478144?page=5

KrazyBosnians!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM1JBAsjedc

Keep on Gaming Diablo 3!!

The macro doesn't do anything that a person couldn't do on their own. It provides no advantage in game, only relieving strain on the player's fingers. This doesn't allow you to do anything outside of the abilities of anyone else.

Furthermore, the Steel Series Diablo 3 "co-designed by the creators of Diablo 3" comes packaged with software allowing you to map Diablo functions to your mouse, even things like illumination and sound. This doesn't allow you to do anything outside of the abilities of anyone in game (except bypassing certain menus).

Examples given by Blizzard when mentioning "gaining an advantage" are programs that allow you to do things that are not available to players in game, like pulling the camera back to view a larger gaming area, allowing some ranged players to target enemies from a distance that does not engage their AI. Loot alert is another possible example.

Of course, much like your post, this post is speculation and represents only my opinion and interpretation of things Blizzard has said in the past. Unfortunately, I doubt they ever clearly define their stance because the more the lock down their position, the less flexibility they have to take action.
Reply Quote

If the answer to 2 is yes, and the things are naughty enough. Multi-boxing is right on the line in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if they start banning for this. They really just want you to be at your computer while you are playing...and multi-boxing still counts as "being at your computer", kinda. If you are careless and make your macros detectable and have an odd playing schedule or playing behavior, that's when you might get banned.

I do believe Blizzard has stated their position on multi-boxing, and that it is specifically allowed. Provided you are running it on multiple accounts.
Reply Quote
I am playing a CM Wizard which is very button-mashy class. I have to constantly spam Frost nova, Diamond skin and Explosive blast to efficiently kill stuff and stay alive.

My question is - can I use Autohotkey without getting banned to macro my hot-keys to spam those abilities while keys are being held instead of constantly spamming them like in this Kripparians video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcewYKebsx4

I read a post once saying he got banned for using that. Some post in the wiz forum I think
Reply Quote

I do believe Blizzard has stated their position on multi-boxing, and that it is specifically allowed. Provided you are running it on multiple accounts.

I've heard this quite often, but people usually seem to be referring to a Blizzard statement regarding un-automated multi-boxing, which is, of course, totally legal. I was referring to multi-boxing through software, which I think is quite gray still, though please correct me if I'm wrong.
Edited by Ramshackle#1917 on 12/7/2012 12:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have a heavy rock.

I can put the heavy rock on my 1,2,3 keys and have the EXACT same effect.

Am I going to get banned for using a heavy rock? Because some of you can't afford a heavy rock?

You still have to move normally and push the button. And you can't just hold down the button, each time you do anything not on your single button it breaks the loop so you have to release the button and push down on it again.

It is not an unattended macro.

Unattended macros are what blizzard cares about. Not people trying to avoid carpol tunnel.

Also, as mentioned, some of us use the xbox controller to play. Although I am not an xbox guy so it did not work for me, but it was pretty cool to throw it up on my 55" LED and play while on the treadmill.
Reply Quote
Hey, OP.

What you could really do with is a solution that doesn't use scripts, 3rd party programs, macros or gaming hardware.

Try this, I use a generic, standard keyboard with no additional software.

You have 3 skills you want to fire as soon as they come off cooldown, the cooldown is reduced by crits so is short but not instant?

I don't play a wiz but I use this solution for my barb who runs a crit rend build where I have 3 skills which I would basically just spam for them to fire when they can, this is what I do.

In options > keybinds, set the secondary keybind for these skills to Number Pad 1 2 3.

To activate auto-fire, press the keys, Num 1 2 3 together and hold down.
While holding them down press and release Num Lock.
Now release 1 2 3.

The game now fires these skills as soon as they are able to be fired as if you are spamming the keys.

To deactivate, just repeat the activation steps.
Note, if you leave game or Alt-Tab, the auto-fire will have been disabled in game but still enabled on your keyboard, you need only repeat the activation/deactivation process to be deactivated in both.

While holding your left mouse, to run or use the skill bound to that mouse button, the 3 Num Pad skills will not fire, but will fire off immediately on release of left mouse, if they are out of cooldown, procced or otherwise ready, and will continue to fire when ready if/as soon as the left mouse is released. They will also fire off while holding down the left mouse button after you use your right mouse button skill.

I can stand stationary in any encounter using only my left and right mouse buttons and use 5 skills. Main skill constantly spammed, spender used when I wish, overpower firing on cooldown, revenge firing on proc and shout firing on cooldown. With no additional hardware, software or programs.
Edited by Anuhart#2131 on 12/9/2012 2:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Using any program or hardware that does any of the following is actionable by Blizzard (and the client can in fact detect this):

1) Performing more than one action with a single button press or click.

2) Repeating button presses while only physically pressing the key down once (the client receives multiple KeyDown/KeyUp or ButtonDown/ButtonUp signals with only a single button press/click). Note: This is different than pressing a regular non-macro or hotkey button in that on a normal keyboard or mouse button press the client gets only the KeyDown or ButtonDown signal and "holds" that ability's button until it gets the KeyUp or ButtonUp signal, thus resulting in only a single KeyDown/KeyUp or ButtonDown/ButtonUp sequence.

3) Using a hardware or software macro that introduces any time delay functionality.

4) Using a macro that enables one button to perform the functions of multiple buttons in sequence even if you are pressing said button once for each action. That distinction is critical, as making one button cast certain abilities in sequence is considered automated gameplay.

What it boils down to is this: If you cannot naturally achieve a set of actions using the game client itself, you cannot perform such actions via software/hardware macro or key recording program.

Examples of what you cannot do, each related to a specific numbered action above:

1) Create a macro that sets key "A" to perform key presses for key "B" and key "C" in sequence on its own.

2) Setting a key to repeatedly "press" the button or ability assigned to Diamond Skin over and over again so that it always gets pressed on cooldown or availability.

3) Setting a single key up with a macro that fires off Explosive Blast (Wizard; any rune except Short Fuse), and then firing off any other spell after a set period of time in order to "line up" the two abilities automatically.

4) Setting up a single key with a macro that presses Frost Nova, Diamond Skin, and Explosive Blast all at the same time.

TL;DR: If you cannot perform the desired actions via the in-game UI, you are not allowed to perform said actions via third party software as it constitutes automated gameplay.

Reply Quote

2) Repeating button presses while only physically pressing the key down once (the client receives multiple KeyDown/KeyUp or ButtonDown/ButtonUp signals with only a single button press/click). Note: This is different than pressing a regular non-macro or hotkey button in that on a normal keyboard or mouse button press the client gets only the KeyDown or ButtonDown signal and "holds" that ability's button until it gets the KeyUp or ButtonUp signal, thus resulting in only a single KeyDown/KeyUp or ButtonDown/ButtonUp sequence.

2) Setting a key to repeatedly "press" the button or ability assigned to Diamond Skin over and over again so that it always gets pressed on cooldown or availability.

But that isn't the case, though.

In Diablo 3, you can hold down any hotkey and the skill will fire when it is ready.
It is disabled only if the left mouse is pressed, and enabled as spam again when the left mouse is released.

You can do this by...
-manually holding down your hotkey with your finger
-spamming the hotkey with your finger (no real reason to spam though)
-placing a rock on the key (as a poster above said) or jamming the key with a wedge of paper
-or by simply assigning the secondary keybind to num pad and pressing-releasing num lock with the keybind/s pressed.

You are telling me that Blizzard are going to detect and ban for two of these but not the other two, because they are all doing the exact same thing, in execution and in detection.
Reply Quote
if its not alright, it should be. suffering carpal tunnel or early arthritis should not be a necessary part of playing a wizard. Macroing 3 skills into 1 button on a mouse or programmable keyboard is not "botting" or using a 3rd party program, its a HARDWARE MACRO and is the same thing as pressing all 3 buttons at the same time manually, but saves you from hand pain.

Not to mention, how could they prove you're using a hardware macro and not just mashing the buttons? its not the same as a automated 3rd party program that plays the game for you, you still have to be there and press a key every second, it just happens to be a key programmed to use two off-GCD skills along with your normal skill. its exactly the same as macroing off-GCD skills, trinkets and cooldowns into one key in WoW, so whats the problem?

Bottom line: If multiboxing & using a program to press a button on 4 accounts at the same time is allowed, this must also be allowed, no if ands or buts. The idea that its okay to play 4 accounts and use 4 skills at a time with 1 button, but its not okay to use 3 skills at once on one account, is utterly insane. People want to play wizards without getting crippling hand pain, so endorse hardware macros already.
Edited by Oldboy#1827 on 12/8/2012 11:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
12/08/2012 10:53 PMPosted by Anuhart
You are telling me that Blizzard are going to detect and ban for two of these but not the other two, because they are all doing the exact same thing, in execution and in detection.

The difference here is that creating a macro that just repeats the key bypasses the left mouse button cancellation limitation, something you cannot achieve via the in-game UI using a single button.

12/08/2012 11:13 PMPosted by Oldboy
Not to mention, how could they prove you're using a hardware macro and not just mashing the buttons? its not the same as a automated 3rd party program that plays the game for you, you still have to be there and press a key every second, it just happens to be a key programmed to use two off-GCD skills along with your normal skill. its exactly the same as macroing off-GCD skills, trinkets and cooldowns into one key in WoW, so whats the problem?

Wold of Warcraft has macro capability built into the game (with limitations such that you cannot cast two simultaneous spells that are on the GCD for example). Diablo 3 has no macro capability built in, and as such using any macro that presses more than one key at a time with a single button press is bypassing that limitation and gaining the player an advantage.

As for detection, the client can and does time your keypresses. Macro keys that are set to repeat do so at a constant rate and are remarkably easy to detect, as are macros that use a time delay.

You can split hairs all you want, but the bottom line is if you cannot do it via the in-game UI, it isn't allowed via third party software or hardware. Using circular arguments does not change the fact that by bypassing the game's UI limitations, which are there for a reason, you are violating the ToS and if caught, you're basically screwed.

Simple remapping of single keys to a single button to accomodate disabilities (like what I do for movement in World of Warcraft by mapping certain UI functions to my PS2's Dual Shock 2 controller) is not actionable, as it is still "one button, one action/function" with no automation at all. Doing any of the things listed in my previous post is in fact actionable.

Bottom line: If multiboxing & using a program to press a button on 4 accounts at the same time is allowed, this must also be allowed, no if ands or buts. The idea that its okay to play 4 accounts and use 4 skills at a time with 1 button, but its not okay to use 3 skills at once on one account, is utterly insane. People want to play wizards without getting crippling hand pain, so endorse hardware macros already.

With multiboxing, you are performing a single action per account per button press (when not using macros). Your control is, due to the nature of Single User Multiple Interface devices such as splitters to send the same signal to multiple devices, identical across all accounts. It requires very specific setups for each individual character to make one button press does what you want on multiple clients simultaneously, but you are still only getting one action per button press per account in use. That is not the case when you assign threee simultaneous button presses to one key/mouse button via macro.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 12/9/2012 4:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
this all could be very easily fixed if they reworked the skill system so its not so much a damn button smasher.

Reduce the cooldown times and increase the duration of many of the skills.

Its silly that in a hack and slay game skills work like in some strange MMO where some skills work only for like what 3 or 4 sec. ?
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 12/9/2012 4:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 04:05 AMPosted by TheTias
The difference here is that creating a macro that just repeats the key bypasses the left mouse button cancellation limitation, something you cannot achieve via the in-game UI using a single button.

Well yeah, Tia.
But the left mouse doesn't actually cancel the spam, it just suspends it.
Until either the left mouse is lifted..when all locked keybinds will fire instantaneous if the skills are ready.
Or the right mouse skill is used (even with the left mouse still down)..when again all locked keybinds will fire immediately after the right mouse skill is used and remain in an active mode (but suspended until either of these events happen again).

It's actually a plus to having a macro spamming skills no matter what and can be used to your advantage in many ways. With only the use of left and right mouse, I can suspend or allow another 3 skills on top of the two bound to the mouse or have them fire off in an instant.

This works great for me, as I rely heavily on my rend critting for heals and damage, I can either just let all skills fire off when ready by spamming left mouse or dumping fury on rend with right mouse frequently.. this is great for long fights where I will have +20% crit up constantly..
..or I can suspend overpower until I have a revenge proc and by simply lifting left mouse, then pressing right mouse I have just let revenge and overpower go off between, giving me an added 20% crit chance for rend before it is applied and all in an instant.

I really don't know why people look to third party solutions that might be a risk when the tools are available already and actually give you more control.
Reply Quote
I'm surprised these things constantly come up.

The fact that you were hesitant about macros is a big sign in itself. Of course it's not allowed.
You risk a deserving ban if you use them.
Reply Quote
CM wiz is almost impossible at higher MPs because it takes so long to kill elites. macro keyboard is definitely allowed but not a macro where 1 key = 3 actions. There is a blue post about this but I had trouble finding it.

For poor folks like me, AHK is the alternative. Blizz hasnt deleted my thread yet, but I did post an example:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350274982

3 keys = 3 actions, repeated about as fast as I can mash 1-2-3. Use at your own risk. I think blizz is leaving this vague so they can decide later to ban or not ban in case it proves to be a PvP advantage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]