Diablo® III

Gloom bugged?

I was keyfarming earlier with my usual DH build and I noticed that whenever I pop gloom rather than my health coming back up really quickly it just kept dropping for almost 10 seconds before it pops back up, this happened several times to me and caused a few dumb looking deaths, is anyone else experiencing the same problem?
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 06:21 AMPosted by PlayerX
it just kept dropping for almost 10 seconds before it pops back up

you know gloom only lasts for 5 seconds, right? lol

but seriously, 10 secs, no. 1 or half a sec? maybe. that's because my ball lightning was still traveling.
Edited by x0pht#1639 on 12/5/2012 6:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
[quote]you know gloom only lasts for 5 seconds, right? lol

but seriously, 10 secs, no. 1 or half a sec? maybe. that's because my ball lightning was still traveling.

Yes I know, 10 seconds as in my health goes back up after casting it a second time and that is at melee range because wallers and tight spaces.
Edited by PlayerX#1237 on 12/5/2012 6:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
What abilities were you using before you use gloom? If you lay spike traps or start using rapid fire or strafe, then use gloom, you will not get the life steal. You have to use gloom first, then start attacking.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 06:46 AMPosted by hellmonkey
What abilities were you using before you use gloom? If you lay spike traps or start using rapid fire or strafe, then use gloom, you will not get the life steal. You have to use gloom first, then start attacking.

I was using lightning ball holding down the right mouse button when I hit the key for gloom, it never bugged out like that for me until today.
Reply Quote
Yea, I feel gloom should work for all DMG after you use it and not just from the attacks. Currently, it seems to be that it is all dmg sent out after gloom is activated. So it may take a while for your health to go back up if the target is far away.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 07:02 AMPosted by Hifonics
Yea, I feel gloom should work for all DMG after you use it and not just from the attacks. Currently, it seems to be that it is all dmg sent out after gloom is activated. So it may take a while for your health to go back up if the target is far away.

Yeah but the delay seems to be affecting spells that should be instant hit at close range, I wonder if Blizzard servers are having problems
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 07:02 AMPosted by Hifonics

What seems to happen is when you attack, that attack is tagged with your LoH, LS, etc. Then when it hits a mob and rolls damage, those modifiers are then applied to give you the return of life based on that damage roll or proc rate of that skill. So if the OP is using ball lightning and then casts shadow power, then every attack made after that cast is going to be tagged with the LS from Shadow Power. Attacks before are already out there and cannot be retagged to say "also use these additional properties when you hit something".

Also, this means that if attacks are made prior to shadow power running out then those attacks are still tagged with the shadow power properties. So if I pop gloom then shoot bolas, and end the last bit of gloom with another bola, even though by the time it hits an enemy and then explodes gloom is long gone, I will get LS returned from that attack because it was in that window. This is why if you pop gloom before you use strafe, and keep strafing without dropping out of it you can preserve the LS effects of shadow power/gloom long after it has finished.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 07:35 AMPosted by DirkGently

What seems to happen is when you attack, that attack is tagged with your LoH, LS, etc. Then when it hits a mob and rolls damage, those modifiers are then applied to give you the return of life based on that damage roll or proc rate of that skill. So if the OP is using ball lightning and then casts shadow power, then every attack made after that cast is going to be tagged with the LS from Shadow Power. Attacks before are already out there and cannot be retagged to say "also use these additional properties when you hit something".

Also, this means that if attacks are made prior to shadow power running out then those attacks are still tagged with the shadow power properties. So if I pop gloom then shoot bolas, and end the last bit of gloom with another bola, even though by the time it hits an enemy and then explodes gloom is long gone, I will get LS returned from that attack because it was in that window. This is why if you pop gloom before you use strafe, and keep strafing without dropping out of it you can preserve the LS effects of shadow power/gloom long after it has finished.

Very informative. Thanks for that post, Dirk. I was not aware of these mechanics. Ive died more times than I can count because of how this tagging works expecting to get ls from my traps and such. Always just thought it was lag not executing my command for gloom.
Reply Quote
Did you recently switch skills? I just started using bola over hungering arrow. It took me a little while to get used to the delay when I pop gloom.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Torbjorn
Did you recently switch skills? I just started using bola over hungering arrow. It took me a little while to get used to the delay when I pop gloom.

I change skills fairly often so the DH on my profile may not be up to date.

I use bola shot when I am with my CM wizard friends doing ubers with DPS maximizing gear and I'm aware of the Bola shot delay mechanic when fighting siegebreaker and reflect Damage

When I'm farming keys at mp6 I put on tanking gear and I use hungering arrow which was when I was having my problems earlier today.

When I'm farming paragon levels I also use tanking gear but with shuriken cloud and strafe poping gloom and then perma strafing with punishment
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]