Diablo® III

Monk Questions

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I am working my way up with my monk and had a question about 2hander vs. 1hander. Is having a shield THAT big of a game changer?

I feel like if you have enough LoH and regen you should be good, especially with way of the fist and 7-sided strike and rocking Mantra of Evasion. Just curious on other builds out there or pros/cons. I'm a rookie when it comes to the melee characters.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
I use shenlongs, but sometimes I feel like an idiot when I'm doing later acts.
Reply Quote
i never really used a shield. except that one time i found lidless wall. then it was only because i found a cool new legendary to play with :p

anyway, normally i dual wield. i just like it better. however, i did almost get to 60 on the one 2h monk i had. his death was unfortunate, but completely my fault.
Reply Quote
I am working my way up with my monk and had a question about 2hander vs. 1hander. Is having a shield THAT big of a game changer?

I feel like if you have enough LoH and regen you should be good, especially with way of the fist and 7-sided strike and rocking Mantra of Evasion. Just curious on other builds out there or pros/cons. I'm a rookie when it comes to the melee characters.

Thanks!

Short answer: Yes.

That's not to say you can't play with a 2hander (or dual wield, which in itself is pretty different). But don't underestimate how much of a difference a good shield makes.
Reply Quote
Daibo Monks are fun, especially seeing the numbers you proc. xD. However, they're just too slow.

I personally like to dual-wield on my Monk, but that's because she needs the IAS to make Wave of Light even more efficient (from what I've seen, the IAS helps a lot).
Reply Quote
I tried dual and 2HD and went straight back to the shield... and that was in SC. Now in HC, there is no way in hell that I will dual or 2HD. Shields gives you a tons of stats if you find/buy a good one.

A good shield in 4oz of milk, is a good source of:

- Resist all
- Critical Chance to Hit
- Dexterity
- Vitality
- Socket baby! Socket!!!
- and the best of it all is that it blocks things... ya know!

All jokes aside... I am S&B. Always was, probably always will be.

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/5/2012 4:18 PM PST
Reply Quote

- Resist all
- Critical Chance to Hit
- Dexterity
- Vitality
- Socket baby! Socket!!!
- and the best of it all is that it blocks things...

Dual wield can give:
- +15% IAS
- Critical DAMAGE
- Dexterity
- Vitality
- Socket for LoH or Crit Damage
- LoH
- Spirit per second
- Resist All
Reply Quote
Shield with 1k+ armour and the block helps alot with your ehp so if you wanna stay alive use a shield.
Edited by Bloodthirst#6488 on 12/5/2012 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

- Resist all
- Critical Chance to Hit
- Dexterity
- Vitality
- Socket baby! Socket!!!
- and the best of it all is that it blocks things...

Dual wield can give:
- +15% IAS
- Critical DAMAGE
- Dexterity
- Vitality
- Socket for LoH or Crit Damage
- LoH
- Spirit per second
- Resist All

Yes brother, I hear you. But that is so end-game. It only applies to people that have really good gear to cover them for the loss of protection a good shield will provide. I do not advise anyone that is not top tier geared to go dual-wield. That is my opinion and it is worth only that... an opinion.

To your defense and against my own opinion, I have seen top players duel-wield and very seldom S&B. I don't consider myself top player even if I have a Monk in SC lvl 60 (49). Mind you, a lot of people in SC that miss me since I joined HC is because I could tank pretty much anything and just stand there, hitting like a mad man, taking damage like crazy and still survive and manage to go res people smack in middle of battles. But I'm slow at killing stuff. I deal less dmg. But I do stay alive.

Cheers mate!

IO
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/5/2012 4:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Top hc monks usually use shield sc ones dual wield
Reply Quote
My preferences:
Barb - Sword + Shield
Demon Hunter - Bow + Quiver
Monk - Dual wield Fist Weapon
Witch Doctor - Dagger/Ceremonial Knife + Mojo
Wizard - Wand/Dagger + Source
Reply Quote

Yes brother, I hear you. But that is so end-game. It only applies to people that have really good gear to cover them for the loss of protection a good shield will provide. I do not advise anyone that is not top tier geared to go dual-wield. That is my opinion and it is worth only that... an opinion.
Cheers mate!
IO

+1
I see quite a few monks suggesting dual wield and having dead characters in their profiles. HC is about staying alive. Of course this does not apply to godly geared players farming inferno at mp6+. But for the most of us, not buying sc gold and xfering it into hc, we'll never get that kind of equipment.

Stay alive,

Lab
Reply Quote
My preferences:
Barb - Sword + Shield
Demon Hunter - Bow + Quiver
Monk - Dual wield Fist Weapon
Witch Doctor - Dagger/Ceremonial Knife + Mojo
Wizard - Wand/Dagger + Source

Hehe, I prefer a shield on everybody BUT the barb!

(Merciless Assault + Rend >> Skorn)
Reply Quote
I have experimented a lot with monk builds and use a very non traditional 2 hander build that is very effective. I can easily farm mp1 content and guarantee i can do it faster than monks (or any class for that matter) that have twice my dps and effective hps. Friend me in game and I'll be glad to explain how it works.

Zeb
Reply Quote
I have experimented a lot with monk builds and use a very non traditional 2 hander build that is very effective. I can easily farm mp1 content and guarantee i can do it faster than monks (or any class for that matter) that have twice my dps and effective hps. Friend me in game and I'll be glad to explain how it works.

Zeb

Interesting build. Higher pool of Spirit and very high spirit regen (6.7 sps from equipment, 3 sps circular breathing, 2 sps CoR passive, 1 sps ES passive, 35% GP passive). I guess it allows you to spam WoL-EL at will (I really like this ability but it really hurts your spirit pool normally). 2076 lps regen is also quite high and must make you feel safe despite low life (39k!), although I prefer more balance between life regen - loh - ls. Nicely done.

Would you mind sharing how your previous and unfortunate monks died ?

Stay alive,

Lab
Reply Quote

Thanks!

If you are 'working your way up' then yes shield will be Huge since your damage will make it so that fights are longer anyway. Low level dual wielding damage bonus is not large enough to offset the armor and block of a shield.

Mid level 40s and you can purchase -lvl req items that do outsized damage. Of the -lvl req, 2 handers tend to be cheaper. When you can 1-2 shot everything then shield is much less relevant.

for builds search the Monk forums
Edited by BadUncle#1969 on 12/6/2012 8:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Mid level 40s and you can purchase -lvl req items that do outsized damage. Of the -lvl req, 2 handers tend to be cheaper. When you can 1-2 shot everything then shield is much less relevant.

max level req reduce is 18. making the level 42 where you can first get a iLvl 60+ item.
Reply Quote
Would you mind sharing how your previous and unfortunate monks died ?Stay alive,Lab

I lost 3 monks to disconnecting, 1 to a playing while sleepy and getting insta gibbed by the perfect storm of the fallen (oops), and one to a glorious death in an MP(1) group game where I just played exceptionally poorly.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Zebulas
Would you mind sharing how your previous and unfortunate monks died ?Stay alive,Lab

I lost 3 monks to disconnecting, 1 to a playing while sleepy and getting insta gibbed by the perfect storm of the fallen (oops), and one to a glorious death in an MP(1) group game where I just played exceptionally poorly.

Wow this D/C thing that everyone is mentioning is scaring me. Never experienced it...yet. I did however got rubberbanded twice this Tuesday, 2 X 5 sec where you watch your paused screen but you know the fight is going on...Was not in a middle of a hard fight though and hit BoH, Serenity while frozen just in case. That was the end of my evening of playing.

Playing sleepy is a no -no :D Just like playing drunk.

Stay alive,

Lab
Reply Quote
I've used one in SC as well as HC. Needless to say, yes. In SC, I used a shield for farming as a test. You can literally replace 3% LS with a shield and likely have more survivability. This was with a shield that had absolutely no defensive properties. 11% block, 300+ str, 10 CC and that's about all. No health, no extra block or armor. It was able to make that much of a difference.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]