Diablo® III

Does Cold damage affect Sentry?

Specifically, I'm wondering if wearing a SoJ with +% cold dmg will cause my sentries to slow their targets. The description for sentry says "175% weapon damage" and not "damage as _" (fire, physical, etc.), so will it work the same way as Hungering Arrow, which DOES slow it's target?

If anyone could clarify this for me, I would be really grateful! :) thanks
Reply Quote
I didnt try it first hand, but according to http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004458672#2
Only Chain of Torment proc with everything.

Pretty sure the thread is still up to date with the current sentry.
Reply Quote
Woah.. that's my post >_<

Anyways.. yes.. Only Chain of Torment will benefit from SoJ.

ONLY Chain of Torment can proc EVERYTHING you can PROC except CRIT.
Reply Quote
^
even though sentries say "weapon" they will not get the cold damage effect from a pair of frost burns

chain of torment will - it is a decent way to passively "snare" things to activate Cull the weak
Edited by zoid#1554 on 12/4/2012 9:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think the reason CoT behaves like that.. is because it acts like YOU on a certain degree.. like.. an Enchantress wearing Maximus. They gain Fire Chain :)

You + 3 CoT = Fire Chains galore. Pretty fun to set stuff up like that and STRAFE around monsters >_<

EDIT: Due to CoT's nature, being the only RUNE of Sentry that procs LS(still not sure if other Sentry rune procs LS if Gloom is used prior Sentry placement, never bothered) and LoH, that's the only Sentry Rune I use when I got to MP8 and above. Stupid RD is stupid. Hahhaha.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 12/4/2012 9:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 09:52 PMPosted by Chrizzle
(still not sure if other Sentry rune procs LS if Gloom is used prior Sentry placement, never bothered)

it will not. the sentry is not you it just gets its damage figures from you, but it wont LoH or Leech (nor shadowpower) for you

only the CoT is "you"

shots will benefit from steady aim as it checks you for it's damage buffs each time it fires (ignoring crit) its damage and APS will even update according to what you have equipped while it is shooting

its shots will NOT gain cull the weak bonus if you snare things for it

however CoT will benefit from cull
Edited by zoid#1554 on 12/4/2012 11:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
You will be killed if fighting reflect mob with sentry, almost no way around them.

If you want BiS handbows there's no way you can obtain life steal, and even though loh works great, only CoT proc loh.

Sentry scales with your attack speed, that's the real benefit of of DW, but CoT doesn't scale.
It proc at every .5sec mark.

In short, attack speed, dex and base damage will increase the dmg output of sentries, the rest doesn't matter(for sentry). Big AoE damage has good synergy with sentry since all the weak ones die, leaving sentry to focus fire on the tough ones.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 10:55 PMPosted by zoid
(still not sure if other Sentry rune procs LS if Gloom is used prior Sentry placement, never bothered)

it will not. the sentry is not you it just gets its damage figures from you, but it wont LoH or Leech (nor shadowpower) for you

only the CoT is "you"

shots will benefit from steady aim as it checks you for it's damage buffs each time it fires (ignoring crit) its damage and APS will even update according to what you have equipped while it is shooting

its shots will NOT gain cull the weak bonus if you snare things for it

however CoT will benefit from cull

I know already everything you've said if.. you really quoted me for that ;) I've extensively taken a research on those Sentry while I did try Gloom > Sentry contradicting to my post, I tried that, didn't bother. LOL

Anyways.. that's why I said CoT is better for RD, it procs both LS and LoH.
Reply Quote
I tested something.
Multi-shot will slow with cold damage, hence by having Natalya's slayer as off-hand which will make your sentry hit fast, you can clear the trash with multi-shot leaving behind those high hp mob for your sentry to hit.

Since sentry don't crit (other than CoT), natalya low dps won't affect much, but for a off-hand and set bonus, it gave allot of dex and have high atk speed.

Give it a try, don't bother getting crit dmg on slayer though, it doesn't make much difference compared to pure stats.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]