Diablo® III

Should Blizz be more proactive like Riot?

Riot seems to be the #1 PC developer in the world due to how proactive they are with the community. They release new youtube videos almost daily, release new content bi-weekly, always adding features consistently, fan interactions on message boards, in depth replies compared to the typical mundane FAQ answers. They make their games for the people. You don't have that feeling with Blizzard games post-Activision. Theres little to no community interaction once you're in game.
Reply Quote
I like how they add new content every 2 weeks as well. The game must be much more simple then D3 to add such new content like new items and characters/models to the game ever 2 weeks.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 07:24 AMPosted by Why
I like how they add new content every 2 weeks as well. The game must be much more simple then D3 to add such new content like new items and characters/models to the game ever 2 weeks.

Doesn't it feel sad that the characters they create feel more powerful than a Diablo 3 class. For my monk, all I do is click sweeping wind and right click things down. Lee Sin feels more stronger than my monk and hes blind
Reply Quote
Take a look at this video for example...nearly 1 million youtube hits. Blizzard could do this but in a video format instead of a "blog post"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0HlZWjcAQ

it seems more personal
Reply Quote
youtube videos are so professional.

D3 broke sales during its release month and throughout the year. I don't think Blizz are looking for ways to copy to improve their sales...

If they wanna sell any of their 2 planned expansions they should start to step up.

With 10 million d3 copies sold they won't sell more than probably 2-3 million expansion packs.
Reply Quote
I will say that it seems that Blizzard is at least listening to the community in their updates to Diablo. Many things that the community has asked for have already been implemented.

However, you are COMPLETELY correct about the difference in communication between Riot and Blizzard. Blizzard could learn a lot from them for sure. They could settle so much qq just by being more open about their development strategies with Diablo. It's weird because they seem to have implemented some of Riot's way of doing things with WoW, watercooler etc...
Reply Quote
View profile
I like D3 ... I really do, but what has Blizzard done with this game in the past 7 months? Crunched numbers and tweaked stats. Kinda underwhelming compared to what other companies do with their games. The game has improved since launch no doubt, but the lack of any new content by now is a little sad.
Edited by the5rites#1313 on 12/5/2012 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 07:41 AMPosted by the5rites
I like D3 ... I really do, but what has Blizzard done with this game in the past 7 months? Crunched numbers and tweaked stats. Kinda underwhelming compared to what other companies do with their games. The game has improved since launch no doubt, but the lack of any new content by now is a little sad.

It's Blizzard, and its a b2p game, they will never make any big content uppdates for free.
Reply Quote
Meh, League is a good game, don't get me wrong, but of course they have more time for it--it is much simpler then any blizzard game, and they ignore difficult things that need to be done like error handling. Their error handling needs some serious work. About every 5th game 1 of the 10 people in a ranked game has their client crash for no reason, and that person now has to start the game 5 levels behind everyone else.
Edited by Tribulation#1649 on 12/5/2012 7:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
Did you mean Riot #1 PC Game Developer? LOL???

:NO:

Riot Games only has one Free To Play game, League of Legends, it's so unbalanced and the game is so simple, it's not like any Blizzard games /facepalm. . . they need to interact with the community almost everyday because they rely on people buying Riot points to buy Skins for their champions and also they need sponsors for tournaments so that they can rake the cash in.

Blizzard has a couple of games, Starcraft2, Diablo3, Diablo2, World of Warcraft, Warcraft and these games are not easy to make like LOL, WOW is subscription based with around 8M active players right now? or did it go up to 10M again? Anyway people play money for WOW because it has a lot of content and it's currently Blizzards main cash flow. The other games are one time purchases, SC2/D3 requires you to be online all the time to play, they have servers that needs maintenance.

Long story short, Riot Games only has one game compared to Blizzard, and LOL is a very different game than Diablo 3 so stop comparing the two.

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 07:45 AMPosted by Tribulation
Meh, League is a good game, don't get me wrong, but of course they have more time for it--it is much simpler then any blizzard game, and they ignore difficult things that need to be done like error handling. Their error handling needs some serious work. About every 5th game 1 of the 10 people in a ranked game has their client crash for no reason, and that person now has to start the game 5 levels behind everyone else.

There are sure to be some outroar for people who have problems loading the game but don't forget that its the most played game in the world where tens of thousands of games start every hour
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Loomies
There are sure to be some outroar for people who have problems loading the game but don't forget that its the most played game in the world where tens of thousands of games start every hour

I understand what you are saying, but would that really raise the amount of errors per-capita? I have yet to have a blizzard game shut down on me while I was playing, and I've been playing since warcraft 1.
Reply Quote
All the Blizzard fanbois saying LoL is far less complex than any Blizzard game obviously doesn't know how to play LoL correctly.
Reply Quote
All the Blizzard fanbois saying LoL is far less complex than any Blizzard game obviously doesn't know how to play LoL correctly

I believe that they mean that from a technical standpoint the game is simpler. They only have to manage three graphical map sets, Less assets to deal with.

It took them what, a year and half to address peoples concerns with twisted tree line? They more or less ignored that player base for so long, just recently revamping the map in hopes to balance it.

I have about 2000 games logged in LoL and I stopped playing recently because of their poor sense of balance. They release blatantly overpowered champions every two weeks to ensure people will buy the champion then nerf them in the following weeks. Their balance system is in such a state of flux it is incredibly frustrating to play the game at times.

LoL is a good game in its own right, but I would not say that Riot does a better job managing their game.
Reply Quote
Riot used to be kinda slow with crap. Prolong maintenance and server downs. They have a bit of a troll streak too. But now days their PR and customer feedback is x1000 times more solid than blizzards. Player2company relationships with blizzard is very, very awkward. Its like a car salesman who sits next to you on your computer all day, every day.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Setis
All the Blizzard fanbois saying LoL is far less complex than any Blizzard game obviously doesn't know how to play LoL correctly

I believe that they mean that from a technical standpoint the game is simpler. They only have to manage three graphical map sets, Less assets to deal with.

It took them what, a year and half to address peoples concerns with twisted tree line? They more or less ignored that player base for so long, just recently revamping the map in hopes to balance it.

I have about 2000 games logged in LoL and I stopped playing recently because of their poor sense of balance. They release blatantly overpowered champions every two weeks to ensure people will buy the champion then nerf them in the following weeks. Their balance system is in such a state of flux it is incredibly frustrating to play the game at times.

LoL is a good game in its own right, but I would not say that Riot does a better job managing their game.

Both companies shaft the players. But Riot does it a little better and actually maintains their public image through all the shafting. Diablo just sorta shafts you with no lube. And they throw you 2 bones in 6 months.
Edited by Dirtpoor#1202 on 12/5/2012 8:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
No, nor there is any incentive for them to do that aside from simply maintaining their brand value.

because we are talking about two different business models. Diablo and most Blizz games in general are mostly about the initial box sale, thus it is all about the first playthrough experience. That is why I don't expect myself to play any blizz game for more than a month from now honestly, their game are just not designed to play that way.

As for free-2-play, I think there will be a lot of "great" games coming out that will adapt this model. Simply because you can't fool people into paying the initial $60, in order to make a profit you must bet on the fact that people will be attracted to your game and will spend money on in game items. that alone guarantee that the game will be good.
Edited by reloaded#1370 on 12/5/2012 9:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 08:16 AMPosted by Graverobber
All the Blizzard fanbois saying LoL is far less complex than any Blizzard game obviously doesn't know how to play LoL correctly.

League of Legends is far less complex you dolt, playing the game correctly doesn't mean it's more complex! LOL is a simple game and revolves around 3 maps, the game is simple and has simple objectives. You cannot compare it to Diablo3, Starcraft2 or World of Warcraft.

As I said before Riot games, depends on people buying their Riot points and for sponsors to Tournaments that's why they are much more interactive with the community. As to Diablo3 and SC2 games, where it's a one time purchase and you get to play on their servers for free, forever, they won't care if you leave or continue to play, as a matter of fact it's much more beneficial to them if you leave. WOW is different and that's where Blizzards attention is concentrated on because it's a subscription fee game and they need to satisfy their 8-10Million + monthly subscribers.

And to answer OP's question, no Blizzard will not dedicate as much time or effort as Riot games interacting with their player base, because LOL is Free2Play and Riot needs their customer to buy their in game content(i.e. Skins, Rune Pages) and get sponsors or else they will lose money. Where Blizzard with D3/SC2 just needs to sell you the game the first time and that's done, there will be further Customer Support like forums and stuff, but they aren't really obligated to satisfy your needs, just be thankful they're even adding new content and balancing the game, making it better for all the unsatisfied customers that continue to whine in their forums.

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]