Diablo® III

Blizzard DEFINE RNG

12/05/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Saints311
There is no such thing as random with computers.

This... SO MUCH! I suppose only programmers realize this.

That's why OP is asking for clarification on what is used in that computerized RNG.

Even a dumb computer, coded with a poor RNG algorithim would not drop the same exact belt with the same exact name and only slightly different stats, on the same monster death.
Reply Quote
^I believe that was the name of the course actually hah.
Reply Quote
So, uh, do you play alone, or with other players? Because my friends and I definitely save unidentified Promise of Glory and Frostburn Gauntlets for trolling each other.
Reply Quote
View profile
My inventory gets filled with barb belts and most of my good drops (so far) have been barb or wizard as well.

True randomness doesn't seem random. Flip a coin 100 times and let me know what you got ;) Are you going to tell me there is a reason for your statistics?

If this is really the case why don't you make a thread asking for people prone to wizard drops to trade with you. Even if it is perfectly random you would still get applicants.

Dude where did you pull this out of?

College professor in a class on data/probabilities. Forget exactly the name of the course. Loved needing to take that to become a system/network admin!

Good catch ;) Most people don't realize it is simulated random (I.E. a random "function") and really there are variables on every level that would suggest real randomness is not achievable.

Somebody made an analog function once for some random function...I can't remember where...so even still it isn't the computer making things "random" but something else :S

Regardless though, simulated randomness is honestly enough though is it not?
Edited by fingrknitter#1794 on 12/5/2012 1:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 01:19 PMPosted by CakeM1x
There is no such thing as random with computers.

Actually, outside particle physics (and some argue this is simply due to a lack of understanding and methods to physically observe their behavior), "true random" doesn't exist anywhere. With enough iterations, patterns start to emerge.

12/05/2012 01:35 PMPosted by fingrknitter
Regardless though, simulated randomness is honestly enough though is it not?

To be pedantic, it's called pseudo-random.

And yes, it is. It's *more* than enough.
Edited by Seraphi#1863 on 12/5/2012 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
I noticed this a couple weeks ago, Although i have gotten some really good Barb items while playing my barb (IK Boots) Most good drops were for other chars.

Solution: Im lvling up every class so whenever a good legendary drops i can use it on atleast one of my chars.
Reply Quote
I noticed this a couple weeks ago, Although i have gotten some really good Barb items while playing my barb (IK Boots) Most good drops were for other chars.

Solution: Im lvling up every class so whenever a good legendary drops i can use it on atleast one of my chars.

Look at it this way.

Assuming drops were 100% even across the board, you're obviously going to notice drops for other classes more often than the class you're playing. Why? Because 4 > 1.
Reply Quote
View profile
o be pedantic, it's called pseudo-random.

And yes, it is. It's *more* than enough.

Please be pedantic

It is how we learn
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Jolly
So, uh, do you play alone, or with other players? Because my friends and I definitely save unidentified Promise of Glory and Frostburn Gauntlets for trolling each other.

HAHA - awesome.

I was playing with my roomate and he kept dropping a magic mushroom to fool me. After a few times I dropped a bad leg I found and he started yelling - Got one - long pause - you suck (after he saw it was already id'd)!
Reply Quote
View profile
12/05/2012 01:40 PMPosted by VinnyI82
Judging from these posts, we seem to have more knowledge about rng than the developers do...

I don't know about that. They do however (as all of society does) ignore those who think too much, everything is built around the proletarians so I don't really blame them.

Funny conversation though XD
Reply Quote

Look at it this way.

Assuming drops were 100% even across the board, you're obviously going to notice drops for other classes more often than the class you're playing. Why? Because 4 > 1.

^ This ^
Reply Quote
Most of the legendary items that drop are bad. That's because bad legendary items have a higher chance of dropping versus good legendary items.

Blizzard keeps increasing the number of rare/legendary drops while decreasing the drop quality, hence why we have inventories full of crap after a run.

Honestly, I'd rather have it the other way, where loot only drops if it's good...

+1

Players might even bother to pick yellows again if they did this.

+2
Reply Quote
Run 2 classes (opposite stats). I have many more hours on my Witch doc which was the same. I found nothing for my class. That said, I started my barb after finding more barb gear. IK drops with with the witch doctor and now zuni drops with the barb. Still had to drop out to the AH for better gear improvements. Occasionally get a good item that I can keep.

I think the barb and witch doc are some of the better classes to farm with. Witch doc has a good radius pickup with the frog mojo and barb WW build is fast. WD can have a decent farming speed also.
Reply Quote
I mostly play DH and i spent only 20M on my barb. So, yea, most of the items on my barb are found. And all the items on my DH are bought via AH. RNG = RNG... right... I'm starting a WD since I think I have a 1/2 full zuni's set.
Reply Quote
That's why OP is asking for clarification on what is used in that computerized RNG.

Even a dumb computer, coded with a poor RNG algorithim would not drop the same exact belt with the same exact name and only slightly different stats, on the same monster death.

That's not quite correct. If the computer is reset, it has high chances of dropping duplicated things.
Servers reset every week, so I highly suspect that that's where the problem lies.
Reply Quote
That's not quite correct. If the computer is reset, it has high chances of dropping duplicated things. Servers reset every week, so I highly suspect that that's where the problem lies.

On the same kill?

I understand a little about RNG, I've seen a lot of people on here try to explain it.
RNG in this case is only as good as the item lookup tables. We all know there are not nearly enough items. But that still does not explain 2 belts, same name, slightly different stats OFF the same kill. Many players have experienced this. Belts, Mojo, unspeakable thing. I personally think there are other variables we do not know about.

It's like when everyone on general was complaining that the monsters were dealing MORE damage, or at least the players were taking more damage a week after the Nerf patch when Blizz did it's tuesd. maint. 25 pages of players describing it, blue confirms nothing changed, then all of a sudden monster damage is not so bad anymore. There was not a hot patch, just next time you log in it's back the way it was.
Edited by Prology#1426 on 12/5/2012 3:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 03:21 PMPosted by Prology
On the same kill?

If you are talking about that bug, they said that it's fixed a couple of hot fix patches ago I believe.
Reply Quote
Got a crap shoulder not even i62 and more bracers and gloves which is only worth a brimstone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]