Diablo® III

installing WoW from start

Hi folks. I have just gone out and bought everything I need to install WoW and all its' expansions. This is from physical disc versions. I just would like some help. (posting here because I don't think I can post on the WoW forums yet as I haven't activated the game.)

I am trying to keep downloads at a minimum. Will I need to individually patch each expansion? Can I install them all at once and then patch the resulting installation? (I am assuming that would be less demanding on internet useage.)

Either way how large would installing all this be? Using the most effective method are we talking 1 gig? 10 gig?

Thankyou :)
Reply Quote
Installing from WoW 1.0 to MoP 5.1 will take forever. There may well be 50+ patches to install, both major and minor. Also you may well be looking at 30+ gigs worth of patches.

Install using MoP only, download the necessary patches and you are good to go.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794319982
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 12/6/2012 2:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
If I just use MoP install is the download smaller? (I have limited monthly internet use.)

How do I go about activating cd keys if only using the one?

thankyou!
Reply Quote
Vastly smaller than patching from 1.0. MoP on disc starts from 5.0 so you skip everything from 1.0 to 4.3.

To get to 5.1 (up to date) I would think 1 gig, 2 gigs tops (rough guess).

Activating WoW is the same as you activated D3 - through your battle.net account. I would think you start with the WoW Classic game key and work through to MoP.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 12/6/2012 4:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
mate you are very helpful! Thankyou.

However I cannot remember how I activated D3. :(

I just add codes until I have them all claimed?
Reply Quote
ACCOUNT at the top > Add Game Key

Perhaps you bought D3 digitally which means it was done automatically.
Reply Quote
I am Australian. Region? On some pages I have a choice between South East Asia or America. On some I get no choice.

If I have a choice which do I go with? I would like whatever gives me less latency.

Diablo 3 has pings about 200ms. D3 seems to run better than I thought it would with this.
Reply Quote
Last question I think...

When/how will the game want me to pay for the first month? (And then I get one month after that as well?)
Reply Quote
I am Australian. Region? On some pages I have a choice between South East Asia or America. On some I get no choice.

If I have a choice which do I go with? I would like whatever gives me less latency.

So am I and I'm sure all Aus and NZ players connect to the US by default. If otherwise, go with the US anyway since most, if not all, other Australians are connected there. Not sure where this SE Asia thing comes from but my WoW account reads "Americas & Oceania (US)".

When you log in you will find a tab for "Oceania" servers. They are tweaked to have Australian time zones but are physically based in the US. They are heavily populated with Australians but there are some US servers with large Australian populations like Proudmoore and Blackrock, ones I have played on.

12/06/2012 05:05 AMPosted by Vakyr21
When/how will the game want me to pay for the first month? (And then I get one month after that as well?)

Don't know how the first month thing works now. When I did it, I had to pay one month to activate WoW at all then the month free kicked in.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 12/6/2012 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
another question...

I have just opened the World of Warcraft Battlechest that has the Wrath of the Lich King expansion on the over. (I saw some others that don't have it on cover.) should have WoW, BC, and Lich king on the disks inside? I only have two disks. One is labeled Disk One and one Disk Two. No Disk 3?
Reply Quote
Don't know what's happening there.

If you need all the keys, you seem to be missing Cataclysm which is after Lich King.
Reply Quote
I had to activate the game as a US player. Seems to be ok. (I'm still working through things and haven't logged in yet as I need to get to the end and use MoP for the game installation and patching) Do I need to log in as US again for the other expansions?

My biggest concern is that when I activated the Battlechest it must have asked me for a account name that I don't think I supplied, as I didn't choose my user name and it has assumed one for me I think.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]