Diablo® III

Tempest Rush - Meant for more than farming

note: If this has been posted before, I appologize. I realize I'm almost certainly not the first person to have done this. I just haven't ever seen it anywhere.

So I've been working on my tank monk for quite some time now. And I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much def you stack, at MP 8 and above, things like desecrator and arcane just can't be beat with raw defence.

So I've been working on taking it Mr. Miyagi style
"best way to block punch: no be there"

Normally, its best to move out of the way, but sometimes huge ammounts of enemies in the way really don't allow that.

So I've been trying a few lesser used skills for that.

Of course the first thing that popped into my mind was dashing strike. However I didn't really like it. It is way too hard to control and seems unreliable. It did the job of moving me out of the way, but never really let me choose where I wanted to go in a pinch, which often led to a quick demise.

Then I tried Lashing Tail Kick with Sweeping armada and scorpion sting. (I found sweeping armada most effective of the two). While this skill worked with careful planning, it didn't really get you out of danger quick enough since the skill didn't move you, so you remained stuck in the pools of death that are arcane and desecrator.
It essentially had the opposite problem of Dashing Strike. Lots of control, but no movement.

So I helped my friend power level on nightmare with TR and it occured to me: It gives you movement and control. I even discovered that there is a rune that deacreases damage you take as you are using it. Perfect for getting out of sticky AoE affixes like desecrator and Arcane. And since TR knocks back enemies, moving out of the way is never a problem. And because you move like normal when using TR, you have perfect control of where you go.

I found it to be incredibly helpful on high MP, but all I ever hear these days is how it only functions well on low MP.

Just my 2 cents on improving tank builds, and even offensive builds if you have problems with those types of affixes.
Edited by november1093#1906 on 12/5/2012 11:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
the biggest issue with TR is RUBBERBAND EFFECT, gets worst in higher MP. i have wrote details on how TR conflicts with the in-game HITBOX design but no words from blizz on correctly this issue.

the only way to stop it is by using WOL to stun / knock back prior to using TR which REDUCE 80% of the rubberband you will experience in higher mps. firechain has the WORST rubberband effect when using TR so do watchout for it.

Tempest Rush - Rubberband Issue: Please Support!!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6933833818?page=1
Edited by DEATHLOCK#1732 on 12/5/2012 11:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
the biggest issue with TR is RUBBERBAND EFFECT, gets worst in higher MP. i have wrote details on how TR conflicts with the in-game HITBOX design but no words from blizz on correctly this issue.

the only way to stop it is by using WOL to stun / knock back prior to using TR which REDUCE 80% of the rubberband you will experience in higher mps. firechain has the WORST rubberband effect when using TR so do watchout for it.

I did notice the rubber banding, and it was a lil annoying. I thought it was just lag though, but it still works better for me than the other two skills since the AoE affixes still can't do enough damage to me quick enough. So I can still get out in time with the reduced damage rune.

thanks for the WoL tip though, I'm sure that will come in handy.
Edited by november1093#1906 on 12/5/2012 11:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
I usually don't have problems with rubberbanding. It does happen, but very rare for me. I am always surprised at how people say it kills them constantly.

@OP I use to use TR in my high MP build for that purpose. There are several threads floating around here about DS vs TR for this purpose as well.
Reply Quote
Most people talking about TR are talking about xp/hr and leveling.

The problem with using TR outside of low mps though isn't that its not viable. It's (at least when using Slipstream) mechanics ARE incredibly useful in higher MP levels in theory... The real problem is that it takes up the most important defensive skill slot we have which is usually used on Serenity. And the most important mechanic that Serenity offers ISN'T invulnerability, its removing movement restricting effects.

You could argue that Slipstream + Pacifism is the perfect solution, and you'd be right that functionality wise it is. The problem (again) is that now Pacifism is taking up a passive slot. If you didn't need One With Everything you can make a bigger case that you could just replace it with Pacifism, but that still doesn't completely solve the problem. The problem is, is that Serenity is just flat out better because it only takes up 1 skill+passive slot.

Dashing Strike suffers from the same problem. The "problem" is that Serenity is too good lol. Perhaps if Pacifism ALSO reduced the duration the same effects it reduces damage against, lasted, it might actually be viable. But until something like that happens, unfortunately, it won't be.
Reply Quote
Most people talking about TR are talking about xp/hr and leveling.

The problem with using TR outside of low mps though isn't that its not viable. It's (at least when using Slipstream) mechanics ARE incredibly useful in higher MP levels in theory... The real problem is that it takes up the most important defensive skill slot we have which is usually used on Serenity. And the most important mechanic that Serenity offers ISN'T invulnerability, its removing movement restricting effects.

You could argue that Slipstream + Pacifism is the perfect solution, and you'd be right that functionality wise it is. The problem (again) is that now Pacifism is taking up a passive slot. If you didn't need One With Everything you can make a bigger case that you could just replace it with Pacifism, but that still doesn't completely solve the problem. The problem is, is that Serenity is just flat out better because it only takes up 1 skill+passive slot.

Dashing Strike suffers from the same problem. The "problem" is that Serenity is too good lol. Perhaps if Pacifism ALSO reduced the duration the same effects it reduces damage against, lasted, it might actually be viable. But until something like that happens, unfortunately, it won't be.

I dunno. I mean what you say makes a lot of sense on paper, and a week ago, I would have sided with you wholeheartedly, but the more I try TR over serenity, the more I like it better than serenity. I can survive arcane and desecrator now, and that's something I couldn't do before. It's true that serenity gets rid of problems like jailer and frozen and fear, but I don't have problems with those. I can still attack when jailed, and I am not getting hit a lot when feared, and I can just TR out of the way with frozen. If you give TR a bit of time to cool off before you head back into the fray (barely a little over half a second), the rubber banding goes away as well. I'm trying serenity in combination with TR now, replacing Exploding Palm - The Flesh is weak. Although I'm not sure serenity will be all that necessary for me in MP7 and below. But from what I got so far, I'll definitely like it over Exploding palm on MP8 and up in the future.

EDIT: I just tanked an MP10 desecrator E pack with total ease using the serenity TR combo (didn't die once :D). I'm definitely thinking it's the way to go for monks that have a defensive playstyle.

I certainly wont argue that its better for offensive monks. Y'all have that stuff pretty much nailed down to a science.
Edited by november1093#1906 on 12/6/2012 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
When I was leveling my monk, I was a huge LTK fan. I tried DS when I unlocked it, but I didn't like it. I eventually fell in love with TR, but the rubber-banding was causing roughly 40% of my deaths on Inferno per-1.0.5, so, sadly, I dropped it for DS.

I recently went back to TR, and the rubber-banding is noticeably better, so I'm sticking with it for now. You can see my build in my profile. I have never been a fan of farming ( my definition is "I failed to kill a particular boss three times with the best single-target items in my stash, So I'm going to play the best areas in this act to find some slightly better gear"), so I've always used it for mobility during combat. Love it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]