Diablo® III

Question about usage of FOT boost items.

Hello fellow monk brothers/sisters.

Recently I've come across some people using items like these; http://i.imgur.com/2UTPN.png

So i get one skull grasp and couldn't really feel the difference. As you see, head piece costs me alot of dps and health in number. Before i go for it, can someone experienced give me some info on this?
Reply Quote
Hi,

If you check my profile you will see one of my monks has 3 items with this kind of affix on it.

As you can see, i use crippling wave instead of FOT, but I feel that with all 3 items equipped (Stone of Jordan, Skull grasp and Madstone), that it makes a noticeable difference to the damage I deal.

Even though it doesn't show up on my character sheet, the extra damage is around 30% extra, so 60K becomes closer to 80K.

I also have tried swapping in different items with crit chance, attack speed etc. and am happier with my gear set up the way it is.

Hope this helps :)
Reply Quote
Just use a good damage calculator, you can get an accurate reading for all that stuff.
Reply Quote
Very interesting build eemee, i will definitely check it! and thanks for the damage calculator idea.
Reply Quote
View profile
Which damage calculator(s) figure in +% skills damage? I haven't used anything other than d3up.com in quite a while. I'm familiar with quite a few others though, just haven't used em in months.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 07:04 AMPosted by gotaplanstan
Which damage calculator(s) figure in +% skills damage? I haven't used anything other than d3up.com in quite a while. I'm familiar with quite a few others though, just haven't used em in months.

Yeah, if someone knows a place where you can accurately check those things, please chime in. I'm also very curious to see some break-down of my hidden damage boosters.

@OP
I believe that in your case, the Madstone is a wash between your previous and current DPS - if you lost about 11K of damage by equipping the Madstone, but then you gained 14% on top of your current 60K DPS, in terms of damage you're more or less back where you started, maybe even a little behind. I guess it becomes a toss between the remaining stats of your head gears - resistances, socket and such like.
BTW, that's a sweet Skull Grasp you have there. May I be so insolent as to ask how much you acquired it for? I'm thinking of upgrading mine somewhere down the line.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 06:10 AMPosted by eemee
Even though it doesn't show up on my character sheet, the extra damage is around 30% extra, so 60K becomes closer to 80K.

12/06/2012 08:03 AMPosted by Laurelynd
but then you gained 14% on top of your current 60K DPS

One thing I'd be careful of is how these bonuses interact with other +% bonuses in your gear and skills. Particularly things like Overawe, Combination Strike, Foresight, etc.

The hidden mechanics of Diablo tend to add all these bonuses together before applying to your damage. For example, if you have a weapon that does 100 points of damage unbuffed and use Overawe, Combination Strike, and Foresight, I think your damage looks like this:

100 x (1 + .24 + .08 + .18) = 150
instead of
100 x 1.24 x 1.08 x 1.18 = 158

Assuming that your +30% bonus to skill works in a similar fashion, let's say that you typically have overawe spammed as your only buff; then +30% to a skill actually only gives you effectively 20% more DPS on that skill. I'm running a whole lot of buffs in my build, so +30% bonus to FoT might actually give me only 16% more FoT damage.

Again, this is all assuming it combines with your damage the way that other skill buffs do.
I'm not actually sure that's how these things work for +X% bonus to skill or +X% bonus to elites. I'm currently trying to evaluate how affective SoJ really is, so if anyone has actually done the testing and knows how these affixes work in conjunction with the +% buffs from skills, it would be great if you could post a link.
Reply Quote
Bumping this thread in case anyone knows how +% bonus to skills and +% bonus to Elites work in conjunction with skills that supply +% to damage bonues.
Reply Quote
12/06/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Demiwraith
Bumping this thread in case anyone knows how +% bonus to skills and +% bonus to Elites work in conjunction with skills that supply +% to damage bonues.

And another bump for a worthy cause. Where are the Monk adepts when you need them?! LordRhaal, Druin, Nameless, Piffle, Vrkhyz - I summon thee!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]