Diablo® III

Why did not Diablo kill Tyrael?

I think you really need to pay attention to the story during your next playthrough. What does Leah have that Tyrael doesn't? What makes Leah unique among all the mortals of Sanctuary, Tyrael included? What does Leah have that all previous hosts of Diablo in the games have had?

Where is written, that he has to possess the members of a single family? In D2 Tal Rasha, a random mage, is the host of Baal.
In D3 Diablo's intention is to destroy heaven and I think it would be bitter irony if Diablo completes this with the body of Tyrael.

Is Baal Diablo?
Reply Quote

Where is written, that he has to possess the members of a single family? In D2 Tal Rasha, a random mage, is the host of Baal.
In D3 Diablo's intention is to destroy heaven and I think it would be bitter irony if Diablo completes this with the body of Tyrael.

Is Baal Diablo?

What a meaningful answer.
This whole thing with Leoric's family is since Diablo 3, only to include Leah. In D2 we have Tyrael as representative of the angels and main opponent of the prime evils. In D3 they degrade him to a puppet.
It would be much better if, after the scene with the fight between Tyrael and Imperius, instead of the scene with possessed Leah, we would have a second fight with Diablo in Tyrael's body, where Diablo says something like "Now I will rectify Tyrael's mistake. " and then he kills Imperius and transforms into his demon shape.
Edited by Bfler#2867 on 1/4/2013 10:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

Is Baal Diablo?

What a meaningful answer.
This whole thing with Leoric's family is since Diablo 3, only to include Leah. In D2 we have Tyrael as representative of the angels and main opponent of the prime evils. In D3 they degrade him to a puppet.
It would be much better if, after the scene with the fight between Tyrael and Imperius, instead of the scene with possessed Leah, we would have a second fight with Diablo in Tyrael's body, where Diablo says something like "Now I will rectify Tyrael's mistake. " and then he kills Imperius and transforms into his demon shape.

It is meaningful. The question was "Why didn't Diablo possess Tyrael instead of Leah?" and my reply pointed out something that every host of Diablo, former and current, have in common. Every one of them. You then brought up Baal. Baal isn't Diablo. Essentially "Baal hosts don't follow the pattern Diablo's do, why should Diablo's?" See how little sense that makes?

The whole thing with Leah's family dates back to the very first Diablo game. There was Leoric, then Leoric's son Albrecht, then Leoric's son Aidan, then Aidan's daughter Leah. All of the same bloodline.
Edited by TDW1996#1743 on 1/4/2013 10:37 PM PST
Reply Quote

The whole thing with Leah's family dates back to the very first Diablo game. There was Leoric, then Leoric's son Albrecht, then Leoric's son Aidan, then Aidan's daughter Leah. All of the same bloodline.

Hm, when I read in my Diablo 1 manual it states, that Diablo needed a mortal body to enter the world of the humans. Leoric was more or less a random choice, maybe because he was king or because of Lazarus and because Diablo couldn't control Leoric, he switched to his only (there is no Aidan!) son Albrecht. There is nothing mentioned, that it has to be Leoric's family.
The thing with Leah's bloodline is a pure invention of the new Diablo 3 team (and even in D3 there is no piece of lore which states, that it has to be this family) and that's why I said Tyrael would have been the better choice.
Edited by Bfler#2867 on 1/5/2013 2:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Leoric wasn't a random choice at all. If you go and read the lore, you'll find that Leoric was persuaded by Lazarus to make Tristram the new capital. Tristram is where Diablo's soulstone was kept, but Leoric did not know this. Lazarus, however, did know this, as he had been the custodian of Mephisto's soulstone. It was a setup, and the brothers worked to free each other.

Furthermore, the three each have host bases that have things in common. All of Diablo's have been of Leoric's blood, meaning royalty. All of Mephisto's have been of the Zakarum, originally a religion of light. All of Baal's (all one) have been of the Horadrim, an organization of great wisdom.

Terror from royalty, when royalty is meant to protect and to inspire through rule, not to terrorize through misrule. Hatred from religion, when religion is meant to unite the masses and lead to peace and acceptance, not to promote wanton bloodshed and human sacrifice. Destruction from wisdom, when wisdom is meant to create and preserve, not to be a tool for destruction. Each is a complete corruption of what the host should stand for, the direct antithesis. It's thematic.

The match for Tyrael would be Sin, not terror, as Justice can naturally cause terror in the unjust, but Justice is synonymous with righteousness, which is the antithesis of Sin.

EDIT: You want Tyrael to be the host because you think it would be ironic, and it would, but it doesn't fit the pattern. That's the thing...there is a pattern. Do you understand what a retcon is, and what it means?
Edited by TDW1996#1743 on 1/5/2013 3:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
You thoughts are completely spun together with no written down evidence in the game universe. It is not even logical and you can switch all the pairs e.g. terror also matches religion or did you forget 9/11 in the USA.
And to be honest, when I read the middle part at work yesterday, I wasn't sure if I argue with a Jehovah's Witness.

And I know what a retcon is, maybe better than you, because I also play other games like e.g. Dragon Age.

For the last time:
The story with Leoric's family was created by the Diablo 3 team, it wasn't present in Diablo 1. The ingame lore was changed for that (your retcon), e.g. in Diablo 1 Leoric didn't have a son called Aidan. And I said, that instead of such a mess they could have simply used Tyrael, the former good guy from D2, as Diablo's victim, like f.e. the pair Ner'zhul and Arthas in Warcraft.
Reply Quote
Alright, I tried. Thematic recurrences present in the current, canon universe that are clearly intentional and also consistent with one of the major overarching themes are illogical. Okay.

Look, I've tried to be polite. I've tried to be helpful. You've been obtuse and frankly obnoxious, and now, what, I don't agree and you toss out things like

And to be honest, when I read the middle part at work yesterday, I wasn't sure if I argue with a Jehovah's Witness.
?

My points have amounted to "This is why they did this, and why, given the story, the choice makes sense." Your points have amounted to "But it should be this instead."

I'm done arguing with you, and I'm done trying to explain things that should be obvious to someone who has played through the series (or even read the wiki).
Reply Quote

My points have amounted to "This is why they did this, and why, given the story, the choice makes sense." Your points have amounted to "But it should be this instead."

I'm done arguing with you, and I'm done trying to explain things that should be obvious to someone who has played through the series (or even read the wiki).

You have given a personal interpretation with no written evidence by the authors. Nothing else. And I don't know where your problem is with my "it should be".

And a wiki is user-created, also with personal interpretation, so I care little about it.

But as you have already said, it is pointless to argue furthermore.
Reply Quote
not a secret gay couple
Reply Quote
01/02/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Bfler
Question is, why does Diablo take possession of Leah and not Tyrael. I think the human Tyrael would be the much easier victim and it would be a greater punishment for the angels in heaven if the former angel of jusitice is now Diablo.

Because leah wouln't be destoryed and she was the daughter of diablo and she was the perfect victim.
Reply Quote
01/07/2013 12:16 PMPosted by TheChemicals
all her base are belong to me

lol
Reply Quote
He probably didnt recognize him
Reply Quote
Its been said in a few previous posts but it seems to have been ignored.

Diablo - Lord of Terror.
not
Diablo - Lord of Death.

Tyreal was afraid to lose the High Heavens, thus, making Diablo even more powerful.
If Diablo would have killed Tyreal, he would actually have been weaker.

Tyreal would have been easier to possess ?! So, the daughter of the man who had the soulstone of diablo himself in him who was also a GREAT warrior, and daughter to the woman who was corrupted by Diablo who was also a powerful sorceress, was NOT a better choice for a possession? Who also had a very rough childhood and would easily succomb to fear?
Over a still head strong and strong willed Angel turned mortal who knows his abilities and has killed millions and millions, if not billions of Demons ?

... right!
Good plan :p
Reply Quote
The same reason he did not kill imperius, he is as others have said the Lord of Terror, the book of cain and wrath points out that no matter what, whether he dies or gets captured etc, he is glad knowing how much terror he has sowed. He succeeded in all the games so far, the book of Cain mentions diablo cares little for physical conquests or something of that nature.
Reply Quote
28 Undead Warlock
12/06/2012 01:29 PMPosted by CrimsonFlowr
Why did Diablo spare Tyrael's life at the end of Act 3? I don't understand.... R they actually a secret gay couple?

.. and if they were !@#$%^-*!@ and secret lovers maybe a little more tolerance and a little less bigotry could have stopped an eternity of Strife.
Edited by MitkaFyodor#1572 on 2/6/2013 3:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
28 Undead Warlock
Why is HOM o Sektual censured? You know I think there are certain types of Censorship that intentionally promote bad spelling!
Edited by MitkaFyodor#1572 on 2/6/2013 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Why is HOM o Sektual censured? You know I think there are certain types of Censorship that intentionally promote bad spelling!

Never thought there was a censorship on a word that really has no business in mature discussions?
Reply Quote
28 Undead Warlock
02/06/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Rain

Never thought there was a censorship on a word that really has no business in mature discussions?

I never thought the word would be censured either. But to be clear the word !@#$%^-*!@ can be used in a plethora of mature context and amicable discourse. Why is it ok to use the word gay as oppose to #$%^-*!@#$?
Reply Quote
can't diablo terrify anyone even if they're dead? cause not even death can save you from him apparently
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]