So I just finished a full clear of Act 3 on MP6. Last night, I downed 35 packs and died 5 times; today, I downed 21 packs and died 3 times. So the final tally is 56 packs and 8 deaths, or 1 for every 7. (I died twice against the same pack in last night's run, so maybe "1 or more deaths every 9 packs" is a better description.)
The best fight of the bunch was against Blood Clan Impalers with Horde, Nightmarish, Plagued, and Frozen. (I won without dying.) If Plagued isn't the toughest affix in the game right now, it's right near the top.
My three deaths:
- Elite Succubi with Shielding, Molten, Mortar, and Arcane Enchanted (damn, those curses hurt)
- Elite Heralds of Pestilence with Shielding, Molten, Vortex, and Desecrator
- Occultists with Nightmarish, Plagued, Teleporter, and Desecrator (this fight was under control until I got roped by one of those turrets, and a lot of Stingers popped out of the ground—a couple bad hits later, I went from full to dead)
I killed Cydaea and Azmodan without swapping for any demon-specific gear. I've also killed Iskatu and an elite pack in Act 4 and plan to run through Rakanoth before heading out for dinner.
As part of this afternoon's run, I decided to track how often I'm using Ascension. Here's the breakdown:
- Overall, I used it in 10 of the 22 champ fights. (I didn't need it against Cydaea or Azmodan but did need it against Iskatu.)
- In 3 of those 10 fights, I needed it for something other than the pack itself.
- In one fight, I got stuck on something and couldn't move; there's a very small chance this was Nightmarish, but I wasn't running, and I didn't see an icon. Eventually, Serenity allowed me to retake control of my character.
- In another fight, I needed it because of all the curses being tossed by non-pack Succubi. Once they were dead, I completed the fight without using it.
- In the other fight, I needed it to handle a bunch of Impalers that showed up during the fight against some other elite Impalers. Once they were down, I finished the rest of that fight (not the Plagued Imaplers fight I mentioned earlier) without using it.
- My 3 deaths occurred in the 10 fights in which I used Serenity—specifically, in the 7 fights in which I needed Serenity for the pack, not some other factor.
Overall, then, I seem to be using Serenity in 30% to 45% of the fights, and I die in 30% to 45% of those fights anyway. Makes me think I should try dropping Serenity, not Foresight, for a Mystic Ally run. I'm leaning toward Earth Ally or Eternal Ally at the moment. The Earth Ally would instantly remove one champ from every pack, but the Eternal Ally's new damage boost is pretty good. I could literally activate that skill once at the start of the run and never activate it again unless I wanted to distract a nearby mob.
The fact that I had to use Ascension to combat non-champs in 2 of the 10 fights makes me think that Serenity is much more useful in a high-density area like Act 3 and less useful in a low-density area with slow mobs, like much of Act 1.
Anyway, back to Act 4!