Diablo® III

What rares are worth your time?

So, I really, really hate IDing stuff. I'm not sure why, but it just really takes the wind out of my sails. So, I'm looking to decrease the amount of stuff I am picking up. As a wiz with decent gear, you are probably farming low MPs with great efficiency in archon mode or farming higher MPs with efficiency that rivals and potentially surpasses any spec in the game; of course, I'm talking about SNS. So that means, you are either plowing through droves of mobs with perma archon facemelt or enjoying slower fights with a bunch of free MF and bonus drops. Either way, you are getting lots of loot per hour, specifically lots and lots of rares per hour.

You may be at the point where you can maybe get some minor upgrades for under 50M or 100M but for anything major, you are looking at 100s of millions. So, we don't want to be picking up stuff that has very little chance of being valuable. We want the big ticket stuff.

Some people say only pick up 1hs and jewelry. Some say pick up everything as it is a decent, albeit boring, source of income. Should we be picking up all 1h ilvl 61 and higher? Should we be discriminating based on item type? A friend of mine said don't pick up any class-specific helms. Is that a good idea?

What I'd like to get going here is a thread about what rares are worth picking up and IDing so I (and others) can decrease time spent in town. Here is a list of what I'm currently IDing. Help me trim this down. I'm going to sort the list based on what ilvl I begin picking up the item type. Anything marked with an asterisk* I am seriously considering leaving on the ground for the goblins or giving it a higher ilvl threshold. (Item names are in parentheses listed from the lowest ilvl to the highest.)

armor
-Rings
-Amulets
-Gloves (Manifers, Warlord Gauntlets, Stranglers, Sovereign Vambraces, Archon Gauntlets)

other
-Enchantress relics (Oculus, Cauldron, Herb)
-Scoundrel relics (Diamond Razor, Brooch, Dust Satchel)

1h
-Daggers (Basilard, Piercer, Darkblade)
-Wands (Archmage Wand, Strike Wand, Desolator Wand)
-Swords(Saif, Conquest Sword, Rune Sword)
-Axes (Skartaran Axe, Galraki, Arch Axe)
-Maces (Goedendag, Crag Hammer, Demolisher)
-Mighty weapons (Chopsword, Massacre Axe, Slayer)

armor
-Pants (Schynbalds, Sovereign Tassets, Archon Faulds)

1h
-Hand xbows (Impellor, Exorcist)
-Spears (Vel, Centurion Spear)

armor
-Bracers (Armplates, Razorspikes)
-Boots (Sovereign Greaves, Archon Greaves)
-Wizard hats (Elder Hat)

1h
-Ceremonial knives (Veil Piercer)
-Fist weapons (Heaven Hand)

armor
-Shoulders (Archon Spalders)
-Shields (Sacred Shield)

2h
-Axes
-Maces
-Polearms
-Staves
-Swords
-Mighty weapons
-Bows
-Xbows
-Daibos

armor
-Spirit stones
-Belts
-Mighty belt
-Cloaks
-Helms
-Chest armor
-Voodoo Masks

other
-Templar relics
-Quivers
-Sources
-Mojos

Well, there you have it. Yes, I know, I'm picking up too much junk. I'll edit this post as we trim the fat. And hopefully, we'll end up with a definitive list of what's worth picking up guide after some debate.

edit: already started trimming some fat
working on awesome0's suggestion of putting the item names in case peeps don't know them.
Edited by ChangBooster#1510 on 12/7/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Wow your picking up A LOT of !@#$.

I got 1H - lvl 60+ swords/mace/axe - spear (sorta), monk wep 63, cerem knife 63, all daggers, 62+ wands. OFC jewerlley.

I dont bother with boots/belts/shields/2H weapons/sources/quivers etc
Reply Quote
I pick em all up only way i make money. Thought about picking up blues again.
Reply Quote
I just pick every rare I found for 3 reasons:

1- it's money anyway
2- I can't seem to remember what name = what lvl so I just take everything
3- I've had some really good rare drop even at lvl 60-61.
Reply Quote
1 handers

gloves

rings + ammies
Reply Quote
I pick up everything in solo play and stuff like Boozor's in group play, sort of.
Reply Quote
Yeah.. I absolutely pick up every rare based on that same premise that I need the money regardless. Also, if I am about to head to town for whatever reason, I fill up my inventory with any blues as well.

Awesome and very logical write up and I can see farming higher MPs and in groups being very selective on what you pick up as your inventory fills with rares instantly.
Reply Quote
Sorry forgot to add gloves.

All gloves.

Other armor not priority, maybe chests/shoulders are okay.

When you play archon and your trying to shave seconds off runs, you will leave the stuff on the ground.

I see 3k - 4k stacks of gold on the group. Thats worth more then rares I pick up. I leave those on the ground sometimes as Archon or CM too.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Boozor
Wow your picking up A LOT of !@#$

Yea, no kidding, lol
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Aimless
I pick em all up only way i make money. Thought about picking up blues again.

I see your point, it's getting difficult to sell anything for more than 1M...
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
I'm pretty similar Dought....

1-handers - if it doens't have a OS, its vendored
gloves - nice di and trifectas, with AR and All resis
bracers - 6CC with AR and All Resist can still rock
rings/ammy - obviously
Reply Quote
61+ 1 hand weapons/crossbow
63 hellion
63 shield
ring
ammy
follower pieces
chest, glove, bracer, pants, shoulder
wizard helm
barb belt
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Boozor
I see 3k - 4k stacks of gold on the group. Thats worth more then rares I pick up. I leave those on the ground sometimes as Archon or CM too.

So, if you have the philosophy (and I do too) that the time spent on IDing, plus extra town runs can be better spent killing a few more mobs and picking up that 3k gold pile, pretty much all 2h is pointless, yes? Skorn/WF/manti trumps all?
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:30 AMPosted by ChangBooster

So, if you have the philosophy (and I do too) that the time spent on IDing, plus extra town runs can be better spent killing a few more mobs and picking up that 3k gold pile, pretty much all 2h is pointless, yes? Skorn/WF/manti trumps all?

Correct.

Your hoping for a 10m+ rare item right? Ask yourself, when what you want a belt to roll to even hit 10m nowadays. 150/150/80/200armor ? That might be 10m. GL with that.

Or better yet, ask yourself what have you picked up that has EVER sold for that amount.

If you can imagine a stack of 2-3k gold on the group as a 63 rare. Get some damn PICK UP RADIUS and vaccum the gold if your hurting for income. If your so hurting for gold that you have to pick up and id every single rare to be vendored there is something wrong. Picking up gold is more efficient then this.

Skorn/Manti for 2hands. I've never sold a 2hander weapon. Period. Sold 1 xbow for 2m back in 1.04. I'm level 90. Noone looks/uses those anymore.
Reply Quote
All gloves and jewelry.
61+ shoulders, belts, pants, bracers (I know 58+ would make more sense here.)
61+ sword, dagger, mace, axe, wand, fist weapon, mighty weapon

no shields, no offhands, no class-specific armors, no relics, no DH/WD weapons, no 2h weapons, no spears, no helms, chests or boots

I try to trim my list based on what is available for common legendaries. Nearly all DH use manticore or windforce. The WD population is small, this makes their weapons too inexpensive to pick up. There's a profusion of legendary helms, chests, and boots, and these are dirt cheap at entry level. While a perfect rare could out-perform in these slots, the chances are so small it's not worth it.

Every month I go through my sold items, and if something doesn't appear, I consider dropping it from my pickup list.
Reply Quote
I think picking up bracers is a given due to potential amazing tankiness. But I am thinking that picking up ilvl 61 bracer and below might not be worth it just because your chances of getting a respectable armor roll are seriously diminished. The max base armor on ilvl61 is 199, which means you are going to need a pretty solid +armor roll on top of that to make it worth anything to a big spender.
Reply Quote
Your hoping for a 10m+ rare item right? Ask yourself, when what you want a belt to roll to even hit 10m nowadays. 150/150/80/200armor ? That might be 10m. GL with that.

OK. I see your point. So non-mighty belts are out for sure.
Reply Quote
Sorry I do pick up Razorspikes (63 bracers) as well.

I don't like spears, but they have the potential to make big dollars, even if less then the other 1Hs.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 09:41 AMPosted by ChangBooster

OK. I see your point. So non-mighty belts are out for sure.

Hell I don't know why someone would big up mighty belts either... IK belts are pretty affordable now and even on their base rolls out do rares.

Generally class specific items are tough tough tough sells because set/leg items for the class are so much better and are now more affordable.
Reply Quote
Gloves (all)
jewelry (all)
1h (61+)
2-h mighty weapons (a dumb one, but I relish the look of a behemoth in my barb's hands, if only it had stats to justify using...purely an aesthetic preference)
follower items

Honestly, except for jewlery and L63 weapons, I don't even backtrack for it if it fell behind my path. I occasionally pick up other L62/62 rares if it's convenient (i.e. very little time lost moving).

Most of the time, I end up feeling like a sucker looting at all (aside from legends and jewelry).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]