Diablo® III

11 Options to fix Reflects Damage

Community Manager
12/11/2012 05:12 PMPosted by kilmore
So what you're telling us is that you never even looked into RD?

No. That's not even remotely what I'm telling you. =/
12/11/2012 05:10 PMPosted by NeoIIGeo

Can you faceroll MP10? Can anyone here who QQ about this 'nerf' faceroll MP10.

*shudder* what did I just type :/

I don't need to be able to pass through MP10 in order to back up my statement.
Reflect damage returns 20% of the damage that YOU DO.
Does that number change in MP10?
I don't think so.

The point was that the statement "The game is already easy enough" is false if you can't yet handle MP10; the game is therefore NOT already easy enough and then 'nerfing' reflect damage doesn't affect you.

Only a very badly designed RPG would allow you to build a one-dimensional character without some drawback.

but that is basically what people do right now ... take twohand builds as example. Its skorn or nothing.

And many others just stack CC and CD.

Yeah. Only "badly" designed RPGS would create one-dimensional characters ...

Seriously. Items in this game are so expensive and require in almost every slot perfect stats and the right combination ... is it really that hard to accept that the playerbase is simply not really liking that concept?

What do you want. A game that is played only by a handfull of people, or something which many people enjoy? I know what I prefer. A game with many players.
As a monk I think the biggest problem of RD is that it cannot be dodged so it make tremendous damage on monks, too much more than other damage from the monsters. That's not a balance way and completely break the rhythm of playing experience. Suggestion: add strong visual effect for RD monsters, lower the % of RD in a reasonable rate or make them dodge-able again.

Glad to know your life depends on games to function the way you want them to. Or the fact that reflect damage should have worked that way to begin with you're just ignoring that's fine.

Actually no, my life depends on my job, my wife, my son. I just get the best of all worlds with the hours i work and i get to surf the internet, hence i can post at work. My life depends on the things i just listed. I play the game for fun, happens to be that i get a couple of hours per night to play and on weekends i never play until everyone is asleep. So im glad you like to assume, know what they say about people who assume right?

Actually if you take a look around the boards plenty of people do not want rd touched, so if you took a second to look around you would see i am not the only one. And question dont you like a challenge? Dumbing this game down anymore is just wrong, did you not watch the video that you would die alot in inferno? I guess your life depends on being able to face roll games with no chance of dying?

See what i did there? I can assume too :) you have a wonderful day.

^ That! Exactly!
Suggestion: add strong visual effect for RD monsters

Awesome idea bro.

The RD enemies could have some special aura to them, like fiery; or a red glow.
Edited by InquirerK#1189 on 12/11/2012 7:00 PM PST
dont listen to anything a Demon hunter, Barbarian or Monk player has to say because they have it easy. the problem is with wizard and witchdoctors, WTF is this reflect damage anyway standing a mile away out of the monsters range and some how his armor is spiking me when i throw a spell at him??

HERES THE SOLUTION !!! !!!! !!!! !!!!

CHANGE THE MECHANICS OF IT AND CALL IT THORNS AS IT WAS IN DIABLO 2!!!!
!¿!¿! ONLY !¿!¿! a mellee attacker should take damage !!!!!
you could also make it so spells like arcane orb will reflect damage to you (IF ONLY YOU ARE IN THE BLAST RADIUS) bit more realistic dont you think?

please repost this if you agree i want blizzard to see it... and realise WOW hes right...

NO,
sorry bro, but that's Absolutely wrong. RD was meant to be an anti glass cannon chars, or else everyone would make glass cannon ONLY.

RD is perfectly fine.

What is wrong is having barbs with permanent free 30%DR and almost free 3%LS, and having DHs with almost permanently 35%DR + 15%LS !, and to try to compare them to the rest of the classes.
Also having DHs and barbs possess passive or active skills that increase the CC hugely, while other classes like the WD have absolutely none of those.

There's an hippopotamus of a class unbalance there.
The inferno difficulty was butchered so hard that it has nulled its purpose, calling it inferno is a joke nowadays. I wish we had the old inferno back.

And now you are trying to nerf one if not the only thing that makes this game a bit more interesting?
12/11/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Stealthe
If he weapon has more dps but less or no life steal than it isnt an upgrade its a downgrade...I know this is hard for you to comprehend but theres more to items than just dps

My old weapon: 995.6 dps, 2.2 life steal -- Results: Never died in monster power 1-3

My new weapon: 1307.8 dps, 2.8 life steal -- Results: Die all the time to reflects damage on all monster powers

First action RPG where a strict upgrade punishes you.
hey blues,

maybe get rid of reflect damage, instead change it to debuff attack. (ie: if you hit, your dps immediately falls to 1/4 (ie: 400kdps drops to 100kdps) . that way, its almost like reflect, but not quite.

so the fight lasts longer, you end up needing more sustain instead of insta dpsing it to death before it hits you

(also the reason everyone hates blood clan summoners)

--
or cap reflect to a 5% per mob per second
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 12/11/2012 8:53 PM PST
2. I would rather give each class something different than the same damage reduction that melee classes gets. I would rather see Blizz take a page from a recently shut down game City of Heroes Freedom. Where they would design an inherent ability (like the Barbarians/Monks 30% damage reduction), that would be both useful and fit the class.
- Technical Support
View profile
12/11/2012 05:12 PMPosted by kilmore
So what you're telling us is that you never even looked into RD?

If you go back and carefully re-read Lylirra's threads, she mentioned that as of 1.0.4 RD was where it was designed to be, but once 1.0.5 came out, the plethora of player complaints right off the bat indicated that because the defensive capabilities were nerfed across the board for all classes and RD was still at its original potency, players were taking more damage than was intended, but it took some time for enough data to come in that there was a real problem.

In all honesty, RD can be easily brought back to its original design intent, at least in the short term as a temporary fix until the new design is out by lowering its reflected damage percentage by the same coefficient that the across the board class defensive nerfs took (25%), and easing up on the DH nerfs to be more in line with the rest of the class defense nerfs (DHs got a 35% and 65% nerf netting a 46% overall nerf, which is well above the 25% nerf all of the other classes suffered).

All RD really needs at the moment is rebalancing relative to current class defensive capabilities. Then we're back to 1.0.4 levels (relatively) and can once again manage it a bit more. The Health Link bug where we get only 1/3rd or 1/4th of our life steal back against those packs still needs to be fixed, but that is on the Known Issues list now and is a front burner bug to get fixed ASAP.

12/11/2012 10:33 PMPosted by TheTias
In all honesty, RD can be easily brought back to its original design intent, at least in the short term as a temporary fix until the new design is out by lowering its reflected damage percentage by the same coefficient that the across the board class defensive nerfs took (25%), and easing up on the DH nerfs to be more in line with the rest of the class defense nerfs (DHs got a 35% and 65% nerf netting a 46% overall nerf, which is well above the 25% nerf all of the other classes suffered).

OP here. Even I can agree with this. Reflects damage would be fine If:

1.) Reflect damage did the same ratio of damage as in patch 1.0.4 before the defense nerfs

2.) Fix the bug with health link making life steal grant only 1/3rd the healing.

3.) Fix the bug where reflect damage from minion groups do more damage than intended.

Can both sides agree that reflect damage is fine with original ratio of damage and without the bugs?
Posted by Animastyle
The inferno difficulty was butchered so hard that it has nulled its purpose, calling it inferno is a joke nowadays. I wish we had the old inferno back.

And now you are trying to nerf one if not the only thing that makes this game a bit more interesting?

So play with Monster Power, that's what it's for, or are you also one of those who faceroll MP10, because you DO faceroll MP10, right, and it's therefore you complain about the difficulty, yes?
Edited by Vresiberba#2940 on 12/11/2012 11:30 PM PST
replace rd with "triple suprise" where a substitute for 3 mystery affixes (meaning any mob with triple surprise has an effective 7 affixes..)

heh.

frankly, we need new affixes. getting stale/rote
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 12/12/2012 12:24 AM PST
all we need is blizzard to fix the bug, nothing else.

the damage reflect do exctra damage,which is a code error
- Technical Support
View profile
all we need is blizzard to fix the bug, nothing else.

the damage reflect do exctra damage,which is a code error

See above for what else is causing the RD issues. It isn't just one bug, but a couple plus an oversight on the developers' part that can be rather easily corrected.

The problem is the false pattern of thinking that something that raises your DPS is automatically an "upgrade". You news crying about RD need to realize that there is more to gearing a character than just obtaining the highest sheet DPS possible.

If you want t flash your epeen with 250k dps while it having even half the mitigation you should assume you are going to have trouble with RD. an "upgrade" is anything that gets you closer to a balanced build with good mitigation while still being able to build up damage.

RD is nothing new and has been in the game since inception. This is a strict L2P issue.
12/12/2012 01:04 AMPosted by Asadian
The problem is the false pattern of thinking that something that raises your DPS is automatically an "upgrade".

Welcome to action RPG's.

Something that raises your offence without losing defense is an upgrade

Vice versa works too.

To all the people who say my "210k unbuffed dps and 700 EHP is unbalanced" needs to look up the word DIVERSITY and realize you can play good action RPG's without all your stats being decided by your made up definition of "balanced".

One rpg hero might be a super tank. (Doesnt kill as fast)
One rpg hero might be super destructive. (Dies more)
One rpg hero might be a hybrid.

AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN. They are all fun!
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/12/2012 1:35 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]