Diablo® III

11 Options to fix Reflects Damage

Am I missing something? Wtf is wrong with reflects damage?
Little piece of advice to you, Chillaxin. Go reroll a Barb.

I hope your post isn't trying to make me mad. I got 99 jimmies and your post rustled none.
12/12/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Monoxide27
2) After seeing a number of posts from players about RD dealing what they felt to be TOO much damage (especially from minions), we did some additional testing and discovered that Rare minions with the affix were in fact doing more damage than intended. This is an issue we have scheduled to fix in an upcoming patch.

LOLOLOLOL How many times did you CM's comment on RD posts saying that it is working as intended completely undermining everyone who complained about it and NOW you admit THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY WAS RIGHT after telling us all off multiple times?!?!?!?!

WOW. #CMfail.

This community should be in uproar over this, as this is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS.

The entire community? These threads are at best 50/50 and have gotten more lopsided toward those who don't think it's a problem as time goes on, probably because people gear up and adapt and realize it's really not that big an issue.

This is going to be an interesting test for Blizzard to see what they do. It's clearly not a consensus that this is a problem, so if they nerf it, it would be catering to those who cry VS those who adapt. There are very real and easy solutions to deal with RD that people just don't take because DEEPS.
challenge. Reflect eats you alive? Counter it

Having reflects damage the way it is now removes challenge from the game. I'll explain:

Reflects damage creates such a high mitigation / life steal requirement that once obtained, the rest of that monster power becomes ridiculously easy.

For example: I can enjoy non-reflect in monster power 5 with 300k EHP. I will be squishy and die when I make combat mistakes but can continue to make steady progress. Many players enjoy this playstyle.

However, in order for the player to deal enough damage to be efficient at this monster power, they will raise their dps. Because of reflects damage, they are forced to overgear with defense for that monster power. In the first scenario their little EHP might be risky and fun, but now they're required to walk around in tank gear making that entire monster power "difficulty" absolutely boring.

If you gear-up to counter reflects damage, the rest of that difficulty setting has no chance of being challenging.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/12/2012 8:33 PM PST
100 Night Elf Hunter
On my WD doing a infernal machine run against the reflect damage siegebreaker one of our team died. But as a WD I'm not allowed to rez people if there are reflect damage mobs within 3 screens!

To rez him I had to manually dismiss my dogs one at a time, then manually dismiss my gargant...then wait for my fetishes to disappear.

Then I could rez him.

That really isn't compelling gameplay.
I cannot believe blues are actually defending reflect damage.

It is an idiotic design choice. Remove it. This is common sense and should be no debate at all.
12/12/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Baneslayer
It is an idiotic design choice.

It is fine having an affix hit harder than others but when you're in gear that can tank molten-death-explosions (and those have the drawback of being easily avoidable) but still can't survive one accidentally hitting a reflect damage group, something is definitely imbalanced.

Why does the unavoidable damage hit for more than the avoidable damage????
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/12/2012 11:00 PM PST
12/10/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Lylirra
I believe the buff while active will have some sort of visual indicator, too.)

Well I would love to see somekind of coloring/auralike thingy on a mob who is Reflect... Since I wouldn't have to pop Gloom (to waste disc) before bombing the !@#$ out of them.. peace
Two quick things:

1) We're looking to redesign how the Reflects Damage affix works, as well as make it so that pet damage will no longer reflect back on the player. I went into a bit more detail [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006893362?page=2#31"]here[/url]. (I believe the buff while active will have some sort of visual indicator, too.)

2) After seeing a number of posts from players about RD dealing what they felt to be TOO much damage (especially from minions), we did some additional testing and discovered that Rare minions with the affix were in fact doing more damage than intended. This is an issue we have scheduled to fix in an upcoming patch.

I'm not sure if these points would change your opinions at all on the subject, but I felt the information was worth pointing out. :)

I have no problems with RD. There is nothing wrong with it. The reason people are dieing is because of lag. When you lag or there is rubber banding any LS/LOH attacks are not considered and thus players are killed in one shot. My brother plays a barb has no problems and I play a wizard sometimes with Archon 230,000 dps.

RD requires a strategy use a weaker spell or hit and kite... Simple. AR helps tremendously so does have some form of LOH or LS.
Edited by Archangel#1474 on 12/13/2012 12:12 AM PST
12/12/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Chillaxin

Having reflects damage the way it is now removes challenge from the game. I'll explain:

Reflects damage creates such a high mitigation / life steal requirement that once obtained, the rest of that monster power becomes ridiculously easy.

For example: I can enjoy non-reflect in monster power 5 with 300k EHP. I will be squishy and die when I make combat mistakes but can continue to make steady progress. Many players enjoy this playstyle.

However, in order for the player to deal enough damage to be efficient at this monster power, they will raise their dps. Because of reflects damage, they are forced to overgear with defense for that monster power. In the first scenario their little EHP might be risky and fun, but now they're required to walk around in tank gear making that entire monster power "difficulty" absolutely boring.

If you gear-up to counter reflects damage, the rest of that difficulty setting has no chance of being challenging.

Because Gloom doesn't make any mob in any MP easy, right? Learn to cast it for reflect mobs since it's practically a mandatory skill for DHs anyways. l only have 400k EHP and l can live through anything just fine assuming l don't run out of discipline at the wrong time.
Because Gloom doesn't make any mob in any MP easy, right? Learn to cast it for reflect mobs since it's practically a mandatory skill for DHs anyways.

Do you think it is intended design to be required to cast gloom before every shot or else you risk shots traveling offscreen into a reflect damage group? Or being required to read the line of text under every mob or else you risk attacking a group of reflect damage minions?

I'm overgeared for monster power 0. But thanks to reflects damage, shooting on any monster power is like walking on egg-shells because I risk killing myself.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/13/2012 1:32 AM PST
12/13/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Chillaxin
Because Gloom doesn't make any mob in any MP easy, right? Learn to cast it for reflect mobs since it's practically a mandatory skill for DHs anyways.

Do you think it is intended design to be required to cast gloom before every shot or else you risk shots traveling offscreen into a reflect damage group? Or being required to read the line of text under every mob or else you risk attacking a group of reflect damage minions?

I'm overgeared for monster power 0. But thanks to reflects damage, shooting on any monster power is like walking on egg-shells because I risk killing myself.

Oh darn, you have to actually read the affixes provided by Blizzard underneath their health bars? Who would have known being able to read was required while playing a game or that that's what they're there for. l sure as hell didnt.

#genius
Edited by MOMOZ#1426 on 12/13/2012 2:14 AM PST
Oh darn, you have to actually read the affixes provided by Blizzard underneath their health bars? Who would have known being able to read was required while playing a game or that that's what they're there for. l sure as hell didnt.

There are many moments where 60+ monsters are on the screen at once. Waving your mouse over all of them and reading before shooting isn't most people's ideal action RPG. Do any of the other affix's require a "read or die" mechanic?

Reflects damage completely changes the play-style of the entire game. I know its changed my character quite drastically. It has made me change my skills. It has made me sacrifice a 2nd socket in my weapon to get life steal instead. It has changed how I attack things on the map. It has made my old legendars useless. It made me get all new jewelry. So yeah, reflects damage (1 affix) has affected every single choice I had for playing this game.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/13/2012 3:46 AM PST
12/12/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Chillaxin

Solution is simple.
Buff the other affixes so that not only relfect damage is the biggest threat.

Compare to D2 days, people have became lazy.
What I meant by lazy is that people don't want to grind!!
AH users trash talk about non-AH users and vice versa.
If you want to run higher MP then gear up for it.
Stacking DPS and melting everything in the path seems much more fun but how long will it last?

The elements of frustration, anxiety, panic or rage holds great meaning to accomplishment.
Would you rather play this game as a mindless bot???
12/13/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Chillaxin
Reflects damage completely changes the play-style of the entire game. I know its changed my character quite drastically. It has made me change my skills. It has made me sacrifice a 2nd socket in my weapon to get life steal instead. It has changed how I attack things on the map. It has made my old legendars useless. It made me get all new jewelry. So yeah, reflects damage (1 affix) has affected every single choice I had for playing this game.

The point of the game is made!
Making changes and adepting to situations and be able to survive through all that, did it not make the game more interesting rather than kill, kill, kill??
Edited by NeoIIGeo#1895 on 12/13/2012 3:54 AM PST
Molten does 3k damage per second to me
Arcane beams does 7k damage per second to me
Hitting a Reflects damage group does 50k+ damage per second do me.

See what is imbalanced now?

Yea I see. Molten ground and Arcane sentry should get a pretty buff.
12/13/2012 04:03 AMPosted by MuF
Yea I see. Molten ground and Arcane sentry should get a pretty buff.

I definitely can agree with buffing the other affixes. They don't hurt even with medium tank gear.
12/13/2012 03:47 AMPosted by NeoIIGeo
Compare to D2 days, people have became lazy.

I had 6 accounts full of characters on Diablo2 and not a single one were forced to choose different gear, use different skills, or walk around the map in hesitation due to reflect damage.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/13/2012 8:54 AM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]