Diablo® III

Pro CM Wiz, please chime in

I just geared my my Wiz, who I have ignored now for months, about three days ago. Now I did a pretty standard Bomber spec with Explosive Blast chain reaction, but just recently swapped over to Meteor Shower. I find it more effective, but is there another reason aside from really low mana costs that I should be using Chain Reaction instead? What am i missing here?

chain reaction seems to only do a consistent 3x explosions at a specific timing, regardless of whether or not I was able to re-cast the spell before the 3rd one had hit, I don't get faster or more explosions for the given time frame. This seems to be tremendously wasteful.

Instead, I've been using Meteor Shower and can hit this spell and have tremendous amounts of meteors rain on my area causing (what I can only assume) is more damage in a shorter amount of time. though it does eat through more mana, which isn't really an issue with mana returns on crit procs.

Anybody tell me if I'm right? or is there a mechanic with Explosive blast that makes it better?
Reply Quote
Chain reaction does not use an attack turn to 'cast' due to the cooldown and the 'build up'. It is also very high damage and 360 degree medium size AoE. Given that energy twister tends to run excess AP, EB is an extremely powerful spell to deal massive dps without interrupting your WW/Frost nova spam in any way.

Meteor shower builds can result in more build if used in place on teleport, but if you are using it in place of EB and seeing more dps, you're likely doing something wrong. Every MS you cast will be replacing a wicked wind. This is going to drastically decrease your CM chain (freeze strength and diamond skin uptime)
Reply Quote
I would definitely NOT call myself pro, and I am sure Shandlar (also maybe Aimless or Aphraell) will chime in here to give you the "real" answer, but as I understand it there are two reasons to use chain reaction.

1. EB has a relatively high proc coefficent, .111 per blast vs. .050 for meteor shower. This means as your damage ramps up and you stack EB's, you are actually using your main source of damage to proc CM.

2. Since EB hits three times you do not waste attack turns. Because your are going to stack IAS along with CC, you no longer need to worry about cast time, BUT this means you can only cast things as quickly as you can press your keys, i. e. attack turns. Therefore each cast becomes very important, and you do not want to wast an attack turn on a skill that is not efficient, like meteor. Most of the top end players are experimenting with Magic Weapon/ electrify for this very reason.

I hope this helps, and feel free to call me out of my flawed logic.
Edited by EigenVector#1828 on 12/7/2012 1:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
The reason your having better results with shower over eb is your attack speed is to low. Search forums for shandlars break points for et to produce the best cm procs.

The above post is right on target as well. I would right a longer post but I already explaned a bit in your other post.
Edited by ReaVer#1305 on 12/7/2012 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would definitely NOT call myself pro, and I am sure Aimless or Aphraell will chime in here to give you the "real" answer...

Cuts deep...
Reply Quote
Maybe he just started at the beginning of the alphabet Shandlar lol..... Leaving out the person who has prob given the most to cm wizzies.

I'll give ya some respect sir ! o7
Reply Quote
Shandlar = noob

[I was going to be extra witty and make fun of one of your pieces of gear to prove what a noob you are.....but couldn't do it]
Reply Quote
I might be wrong, but there are potentially more than twice as many hits with meteor shower than there are with EB, 7 + molten ground, so 0.05 vs 0.111 are practically even, no?

Even still, I trust the pros, I won't waste any more attack turns with Meteor Shower, and throw out more Wicked Winds!

Considering I only really started this 3 days ago, I think I've done fairly well. I can only improve from here. 100k DPS here I come!

edit: Also, thanks to all who have given good patient advice.
Edited by Oscar#1292 on 12/7/2012 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Okay so I just upgraded my chest to a Tal's and my Legs to some Inna's with int. I'm at 2.56 APS and I'm just not sure how much more I can push on my regular gear. Practically every slot that can have IAS on it does, most are at max allowable for that slot, which means that pretty much the only way I'm gonna break 2.73 is by getting a Witching Hour belt, which is well outside of my budget and will further destroy my resistances, which is now down to around 600-650. Please inspect my wiz, am I missing something here?
Reply Quote
You can use meteor, it works, if you have the gear and are judicious with casting it. There are some builds in the Wiz Compendium sticky. Look for Shockquefy/Rockanadoes, as one option:

You basically run standard WW/SNS build, with Explosive blast, and keep everything frozen. Then throw down a meteor or 2 (drop teleport). If you you are judicious there will still be enough twisters to proc CM and keep AP full enough. Too many meteors and you'll lose your freeze. Having more APOC certainly helps....like 30. Meteor shower does proc alot more....and is great against groups of enemies, but loses effectiveness when you are down to just a couple of elites....since most meteors are missing at that point.
Reply Quote
thanks that's very helpful. I'm still experimenting and finding my footing as a wizard
Reply Quote
I would definitely NOT call myself pro, and I am sure Aimless or Aphraell will chime in here to give you the "real" answer...

Cuts deep...

I dont know what your are talking about.....
Reply Quote
View profile
Shandlar = noob

[I was going to be extra witty and make fun of one of your pieces of gear to prove what a noob you are.....but couldn't do it]

ooh me ill do it
8 IAS on two pieces, for shame shandler, for shame
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]