Diablo® III

Can we PLEASE get a viable summoner?

I want an item for WD summon skills like Three Hundredth Spear is for barb ranged skills. Something that adds 30-50% damage to zombie dogs and gargantuan and reduces their cooldowns or adds life or something like that. I miss playing summoners, and 9% damage is just sad. Gargantuan is handy but there's only so much he can do offensively since there's only one of him. I want to really be able to focus my whole skill set-up around my zombies and have it actually pay off.
Reply Quote
I'm mainly a Wizard player, but in my time leveling my WD, I've been having a lot of fun with the Fetish Sychophants passive with Firebomb and Acid Rain. How viable would a build based around a fast attack speed and Sychophants be, if it was used alongside Dogs and Garg to summon hordes of minions similar to the Necro from D2?
Reply Quote
We have 20 yards pick up.
Reply Quote
I'll admit I've never played around with the fetishes at all, so that's an interesting thought. And I love the 20 yards pick-up. I have a GF WD and I only need to give him that one item to take care of his pick-up radius completely. But I'll definitely look into the fetish skills.

Update: Dude, you're a freakin' genius. I bought a dagger with 11% ias and a bunch of ias gear, got up to around 2.65 APS with enchantress. Used rain of toads + fetish sycophants and they just pop right up. You can easily get four or five of them within the first 10 seconds or so of spamming rain of toads (I like rain of toads because it hits one spot rather than travelling across the screen so you can spam it on yourself and let the fetishes it summons do the killing). Interesting things I just discovered:

1) Using the fetish summoning skill kills all your passive fetishes (lame).
2) Fetishes can CRIT. Which means of course that to make a really badass summoner you need stupidly expensive trifecta gear all around. When in doubt go for ias over CC or CD though, since you need it to keep up a steady stream of fetishes.
Edited by Wooginator#1493 on 12/9/2012 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Fetishes have a hard time against elites in higher MP, they die to things such as desecrator and arcane.

Two problems with fetish passive:
1. Can only summon melee minions. Should be able to summon any fetish minion.
2. No synergy with the Fetish skill, e.g. increased damage, reduced cooldown and/or increased uptime of fetishes summoned by fetish skill.

Final problem with fetish passive: It takes over a precious passive slot which could have been used for a better passive.
Reply Quote
i think if WD was anywhere near the necro in D2, people would be complaining about D3 blowing up their computers cuz of their crappy gfx cards, lol.
Reply Quote
any idea if there is a limit of fetishes to summon using the passive?
Reply Quote
we'll most likely get a full pet class in an expansion.
if thats not the case, they might buff up dog damage to 50% ish and make fetishes permanent?
Reply Quote
I love my WD, but i'd abandon him faster than a baby girl in China if the necromancer made a comeback in the expansion.
Reply Quote

ALittleHazey
View profile
I love my WD, but i'd abandon him faster than a baby girl in China if the necromancer made a comeback in the expansion.
1 hour ago

HAHAHAHA. Agreed
Reply Quote
I loved my summoner in D2, such an !@# kicking toon!, half the screen my skellies and minions! lol Just destroyed everything, you loved it or hated it. I've been playing with pets since day one since this is the closest to it we have right now. Any added pets, Fetish Sychophants or whatever is welcomed by me. I would however like another big minion instead of many little ones. I would like a true pet build, pets as your major source of damage. Please Blizzard! lol
Reply Quote
I think the nec will make a comeback in the expansion due to the fact that the character class is hinted in the Stinging Winds of Act 2. The event with the necromancer means that Blizz has at least conceptualized a necro character, so it is not unreasonable to expect that they will build on this initial work.

Blizz likes to reuse things to reduce dev time, so why not?
Reply Quote
I just want to be able to use summons offensively. I played around with the fetish passive some more and it's just not viable offensively. All they are is more meat shields, which is nice, but I want to be able to sit back and watch my minions rip people into little bitty pieces. I'd like a skill that allows me to spam fetishes. Even if they only last a minute, I want to be able to summon an ACTUAL army, rather than an army of 5 fetishes that last 20 seconds.

Also, interesting idea for a summoning skill: Something where you can summon up to say, 10 of them, and they do decent damage, but they have a total amount of life that gets divided among all the ones you have summoned. So you could summon one or two and have them function as tanks, or you could summon 10 or 12 and they'd be relatively fragile but do a lot more damage.
Reply Quote

Also, interesting idea for a summoning skill: Something where you can summon up to say, 10 of them, and they do decent damage, but they have a total amount of life that gets divided among all the ones you have summoned. So you could summon one or two and have them function as tanks, or you could summon 10 or 12 and they'd be relatively fragile but do a lot more damage.

as runes, it would work perfect. plus it fits the necromancer's lore; they can either summon a single extremely cunning minion or an army of undead with same amount of intelligence invested in them.
Reply Quote

ALittleHazey
View profile
1 hour ago

HAHAHAHA. Agreed

depends if they give me CE
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]