Diablo® III

Any tips or etiquette for a Softcore player

I have every toon to 60 on Softcore and my Monk is pretty well geared and my Barb is decently geared, I figured I'd give Hardcore another try.

I did a Melee Wiz up until like 20ish a while back and died because I strayed too far from the group. Also I was a Melee Wizard ;p

So yeah, lesson learned.

I am almost done with Nightmare Act 1 on a Witch Doctor

Any tips/experiences/thoughts for somebody who is used to the ins-and-outs of Softcore?

Anything specific to the Hardcore mode and community I should keep in mind?

Thanks!
Reply Quote
1. stack at least as much vit as your main stat
2. have a shield
3. never resume the game in the middle of the quest
4. have a safe escape route (always)
5. when in danger, dont whip it out, just run
6. dont teleport to other players unless u trust them
7. if you see a higher level toon, there is a chance he's there to PK guys
8. dont afk, teleport to town and leave the game
9. level reduced weapons are a great thing to have
10. dont get cocky !!!!
11. stay with the group
12. The easiest classes for HC in this order - WD>>Barb>>Monk/DH/Wiz
13. Level a few toons at the same time - your level 17 barb doesnt need int vit gloves, well your level 12 WD does, also if/when you die you have a backup plan which makes the death less "painful"
14. When you die, learn from it, dont cry about it, reroll another one
15. many other tips, just take a look at the forum..
Edited by Smithey77#2936 on 12/9/2012 3:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Smithey77

What does this one mean?
Reply Quote
They'll find a way to drag mobs your way or lead you somewhere unsafe where they can't die.. but you can
Reply Quote
Nice list.

Not a great idea for wiz or WD, because int also gives resistances, and the combination of DR and damage often ends up being greater than extra life. For barb, vit far more than str if you're using Nerves of Steel.

Monk is ridiculously easy if you build for HC (shield, high armor+resists, defensive mantra, Transcendence).

Search for "PK" here on the HC forums and you'll understand quickly.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 06:14 AMPosted by JiJin

Not a great idea for wiz or WD, because int also gives resistances, and the combination of DR and damage often ends up being greater than extra life.

I concur. You need sufficient vit as an int char but it is not a problem (and actually desirable) to let your mainstat get ahead of your vit. You can't *neglect* vit but I've been fine leveling with my mainstat ahead of my vit. I usually don't let the gap become more than a few hundred (depending on level) , but really, you just need to make sure you have enough life/mitigation to eat the damage you're going to take (and that should be looked at worst-case - build for the pack of four elites with vortex/molten/arcane, that's going to suck you in w/ vortex right on top of the molten it's been stacking up while the pack was idle, then drop a boatload of arcane - do *not* build for the general 'this is fine for most mobs' case)

I think there's a tendency for people to view dps and mainstat as 'not survivability stats' and I think that is a little bit wrong, even when mainstat doesn't provide mitigation. The shorter the fight is the less opportunity there is for things to go wrong. Note that this does not mean I think glass cannon builds are acceptable - they're not, my basic policy is a) make sure you can take the damage you're going to need to take, then b) up dps.
Reply Quote
Make 1 easy mode safe mp0 farmer first, unless you are trading gold from SC.

My WD is a good example of a fall asleep while farming mp0 for moneys char. As long as you can 1 shot trash like a screen full of scorps DPS isn't a big issue here.

Then make some fun DPS stacked suicide build chars and have a blast.
See my barb for suicide build instructions.
Reply Quote
Well when I started my WD I completely ignored dps, all vit/res, never rushed and now im farming act 3 with not a worry in the world. Better safe than sorry so go tank mode!
Reply Quote

Not a great idea for wiz or WD, because int also gives resistances, and the combination of DR and damage often ends up being greater than extra life.

I concur. You need sufficient vit as an int char but it is not a problem (and actually desirable) to let your mainstat get ahead of your vit. You can't *neglect* vit but I've been fine leveling with my mainstat ahead of my vit. I usually don't let the gap become more than a few hundred (depending on level) , but really, you just need to make sure you have enough life/mitigation to eat the damage you're going to take (and that should be looked at worst-case - build for the pack of four elites with vortex/molten/arcane, that's going to suck you in w/ vortex right on top of the molten it's been stacking up while the pack was idle, then drop a boatload of arcane - do *not* build for the general 'this is fine for most mobs' case)

I think there's a tendency for people to view dps and mainstat as 'not survivability stats' and I think that is a little bit wrong, even when mainstat doesn't provide mitigation. The shorter the fight is the less opportunity there is for things to go wrong. Note that this does not mean I think glass cannon builds are acceptable - they're not, my basic policy is a) make sure you can take the damage you're going to need to take, then b) up dps.

I agree... while leveling, it is a good idea to keep high vitality (and for Monks/Barbs, keep close to 1:1 ratio), but for other classes, not so necessary.

My WD has almost twice as much Int as Vit, and has had no problems. My Barb also has a lot more Str than Vit (but I did keep it close to 1:1 when I was leveling up to 60).

For every single class, their main stat also helps with survivability:
Strength gives Barbs more armor
Dex gives Monks more dodge AND armor (if using STI)
Dex gives Demon Hunters more dodge
Int gives WD more AR
Int gives Wizzies more AR

The main stat also gives more DPS. More DPS = quicker fight, which = less damage taken.

Don't get me wrong, vitality is important, but there are a lot of other things that help survivability as well (AR, LoH, L%H, main stat, DR, etc)
Edited by YoZUpZ#1264 on 12/9/2012 7:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Know the monster types and what they're capable of raw. If you can't handle their regular arsenal, then they'll kill you with any affix combination.
Reply Quote
G = gob
1 = Elite
2 = two Elite's (pay veryyyyyy close attention)
Reply Quote
G = gob
1 = Elite
2 = two Elite's (pay veryyyyyy close attention)

Ahhh, thanks!
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't agree with #5 completely. It's one of the top reasons people get killed.

Turning tail to run instead of continuing to kite and fight, especially for witch doctor, will get you killed vs fast enemies, fights you might have won had you just played aggressively. Even vs a double pack, repositioning between attacks results in the fight continuously stabilizing and destabilizing. Slowly but surely, you whittle them down and reduce the pressure one mob at a time.

When you turn tail and run completely, it is in complete destabilization, and you tend to blow your escape cooldowns to gain more distance hoping to drop aggro. When they don't drop aggro and then manage to catch you, you'll have no cooldowns to save you. If you're built defensively enough, and play aggressively, there are very few double packs that cannot be outplayed. If you've aggro'd three packs somehow, then the risk/reward ratio for turning tail becomes more favorable, and then you might as well just run for your life.
Edited by Bnetplayer#1858 on 12/9/2012 12:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
The other thing to be said about int/vit is that the WD's strongest offensive passive (Gruesome Feast) scales with int, so that as long as you or your friends are dealing enough damage to keep the globes falling, a heavy-int build tends to make your dps AND resists obscenely high when you need them the most.
Reply Quote

Why is WD the easiest?
Reply Quote

... but commit to the group. If you have to abandon the group, you should leave and go farm in a lower act.
Reply Quote

All great tips but I'd like to elaborate on #5 (in solo play). If you are outmatched and are running towards your nearest escape route and it's clear that you're not going to make it, you may have to turn and fight. I've had to do this a few times as a last resort. This is when you'll have to keep a clear head and not panic. You may get that health globe drop that will save your life, or build enough resource to continue your escape. You may even find you've weakened them enough to take 1 or two of them out and make escape possible.

Also, leave a trail of health globes behind you. These may be your 'escape route'. Depending on how conservatively you play, you shouldn't be using your health potions at all. While leveling I used mine once every 3 days or so.
Edited by Poxy#1672 on 1/13/2013 12:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]