Diablo® III

Blizzard almost got me

I can relate to the OP, i have gotten a little bored with d3 (although i still do a couple Alkaizer runs a day) and i have canceled my subscription with wow this month because i just didn't have the time or the patience to grind out the dailies and the heroics every week. But i still love d3 and i will always love WoW no matter what! atm i have been playing 4v4 starcraft, BF3 and a couple diablo 3 runs a day and that keeps me satisfied atm. But i sure as hell know blizz is going to hit us with an awesome d3 patch very soon that hopefully makes me want to knuckle down and go hard for my paragon 100!!! :D
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 05:55 PMPosted by Ricsta
Having said that, I'd love a survival arena with wave after wave of monsters. I'm tired of hitting Escape, Space and OK to skip cutscenes that lost my interest hundreds of hours ago, I just want a conga-line of baddies to kill.

This is SO SPOT ON and really hit home for me. Something along the lines of the "Jar of Souls" event in Act 1 Cemetery...

Blizzard should seriously consider this suggestion in a future patch.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Zyron
Wow is dumbed down as is d3. Knock off the one size fits all players motiff please blizzard. Let me build my character my own way spending my own attirbute points allong the way. Still love the diablo label, I too still have some hope. gl hf.

Gaming has changed a lot over the years. It used to the realm of nerdy types with high-IQs and a penchant for complexity which opens up a wide berth of diversity in play styles. Today the average IQ if the typical gamer has gone down drastically and combined with this whole "everyone-gets-a-trophy" culture filled with play dates and bicycle helmets bestowed upon us by the overtly sensitive millennial generation, games must be dumbed down and made easy for them or they won't play. The only complexity is the amount of time and/or money one needs to be successful.

On top of these wing-nuts the gaming world got flooded by egomaniacal, win-at-all-costs types who exploit every game mechanic they can to get an advantage with the common excuse being, "Well if I don't, I will be victimized by said exploits and winning is everything." These are the people who constantly post edited montages of their awesomeness on game boards and for many of them, their whole measure of self-worth comes form their "rep" in a video game.

Take all that and combine it with corporate greed and you get dumbed down, vanilla games with business models designed to suck as much money out of the gamer as possible that are rushed out the door well before they are complete.

I want Shadowbane back. :(
Reply Quote
I stopped playing D3. Then I stopped playing WoW.

It was a funny moment. Looking back, I let myself get caught up in the "Blizz can do no wrong" herd mentality. They're just like any other Dev. Like Bioware as an example, They CAN screw up.

In the past, I'd come back after a not-so-emotional "[insert nerf/buff/policy] sucks!" cooling-off period. This time, that didn't happen. Not in D3. Not in WoW.

Even I was surprised by this.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 05:32 AMPosted by Icealen
Having said that, I'd love a survival arena with wave after wave of monsters. I'm tired of hitting Escape, Space and OK to skip cutscenes that lost my interest hundreds of hours ago, I just want a conga-line of baddies to kill.

This is SO SPOT ON and really hit home for me. Something along the lines of the "Jar of Souls" event in Act 1 Cemetery...

If this could be repeated by enough players, we'd be on to something here...

As far as I'm concerned, the "Jar of Souls" event and a few section of "The Keep" are about as close as D3 comes to the massive fights you'd have in claustrophobic spaces (like the jail) in D2... I want MORE of that! Lots of monsters is awesome!
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Vaeflare
One thing I’ve learned over the years is that everyone games differently. Some folks prefer to indulge in just one game at a time, some rotate between a few choice favorites over time, and some juggle multiple games within the same day. For me, it just depends what mood I’m in at any given time, and while I’m passionate about Diablo III, I also still actively play WoW and quite a number of other games ranging across different genres and formats. There’s certainly a lot out there to play, but for me at least, it’s great having a few staples that keep me coming back for more. :)

What mood are you in when you decide to play Diablo 3? Mind if I guess:

Nah, I wouldn't make you look that bad.

edited: If you want to post like you're a player... post on your players account. That way, I don't have to look @ all these completely irrelevant blue posts... I mean really. If I were the pres of the company I'd be mad @ you for encouraging such CRAPTASTIC threads. Seriously cut the passive be nice fake smile and let's just get down to the bees knees shall we..? faith and for what? Serious question. Serious Answer.
Edited by MANTiC0R3#1342 on 12/9/2012 1:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Diablo 3, Heroes of newerth, Heroes 6, Dark Omen, Planescape: Torment

Now this is the !@#$ bros!
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 is no doubt a fun little hack & slash game.

For me, its depth and content is where it needed more thought and development.

I have gone back to StarCraft as the whole D3 movement has come and gone really.

I would love for expansions to come to D3 - i think it has loads of potential.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
It might be a good xmas if only blizzard would release d3 pvp/arena...
Reply Quote

Gaming has changed a lot over the years. It used to the realm of nerdy types with high-IQs and a penchant for complexity which opens up a wide berth of diversity in play styles. Today the average IQ if the typical gamer has gone down drastically and combined with this whole "everyone-gets-a-trophy" culture filled with play dates and bicycle helmets bestowed upon us by the overtly sensitive millennial generation, games must be dumbed down and made easy for them or they won't play. The only complexity is the amount of time and/or money one needs to be successful.

On top of these wing-nuts the gaming world got flooded by egomaniacal, win-at-all-costs types who exploit every game mechanic they can to get an advantage with the common excuse being, "Well if I don't, I will be victimized by said exploits and winning is everything." These are the people who constantly post edited montages of their awesomeness on game boards and for many of them, their whole measure of self-worth comes form their "rep" in a video game.

Take all that and combine it with corporate greed and you get dumbed down, vanilla games with business models designed to suck as much money out of the gamer as possible that are rushed out the door well before they are complete.

I want Shadowbane back. :(

+1 well said
THe sad state of this Diablo is clearly seen when the CM edits his own "there are other good games, try them" response. It speaks to a much larger issue imho.
-
Slowly count to 100, and if your tired of the same cutscenes just hit escape... having fun yet? Who needs horadric recipes and runewords, developers don't even need an imagination anymore, just a very brown nose and an affinity for treadmills and above average graphics.
_
I still love this label, I still have some hope that ppl like jw will wake tfu. gl hf.

I am one of those nerd types..I'm 40. I can only imagine how kids today would respond to games like Zork (I played start to finish all three games on my old C64), or even better Myst where there were no instructions. You had to figure it all out on your own. These were games that required the player to think for himself. Hell, even Ultima online did that. These days, there is no need for cognitive or analytical skills. Games today seem to be nothing more than outlets for impulsivity and intended to be made extremely time consuming to push the gamer to make a choice between spending more real money to compete or accepting mediocrity. So so sad. It's "Keeping up with the Joneses" in the gaming world from this point on.

Shadowbane, despite its flaws (it was too ahead of its time), had the most robust character development in any MMORPG ever made. There was no single spoiler build (though numerous patches lead to FotM builds from time to time). Character templates had to be planned. Progression was a non-issue. It would take less than a week of casual grinding to get to max level and if you were in a decent guild you had access to the best gear you character could use. You controlled where the points went into attributes, skills and abilities. The gear was secondary to the template. The only grind was to farm gold for your guild to have a city and take/control mines fo resources to make your guild's gear. I had three accounts full of different builds of just rogues.

Sadly, I think the days of games like that are gone forever.

R.I.P. Shadowbane. You will be missed.
Edited by Nocterminus#1255 on 12/9/2012 6:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 just has no depth. It's basically Diablo 2 with a AH controlled loot system and a disney story line. What's the incentive to play when getting better gear means nothing until pvp comes out of course.
Reply Quote
I was hoping D3 would be fun but it's horrible. The loot system really is garbage. The auction house is nice but I feel I should be able to play through without using it as often as I do. It should be a benefit, not a requirement.
Reply Quote
I really don't feel like d3 is a game intended to be played for too much at a time. Aside from the fact that it's very strenuous on your hands and hard to even physically play for long, you don't really accomplish much. I missed out on d2 from being so busy with school but I feel like I've got a second chance with d3. I tend auctions and do a key/exp run 1 hr a day religiously because that's all the time I have; but it is just so enjoyable to see my progress and finish runs quickly little by little.
Reply Quote
Blizzard had me at orc..... I mean hello.
Reply Quote
I played wow for a long time, but sadly had to quit it because of D3. I'm sure I'll get tired of D3 at some point and go back to wow again. I pace myself so I can keep playing the games i like! ;D
SCII is another story tho. I can just logon play a game or two whenver i want and be done with it, so its always another choice when you get bored of all!
Hopefully you get to have fun at wow! ;D
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 05:32 AMPosted by Icealen

This idea was brought up several times over the past 3 months and got shot down. Many people did not seem to support it for some reason, although I think it's a great idea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]