Diablo® III

HC Wizard newb here, looking for some tips

So, I've got plenty of playtime on barbs and only barbs, and I want to branch out into a wizard (and a HC monk and wd eventually.... but I digress). I like to build "Disconnect resistent" builds, and have a fun schaeffer's hammer giant electrified ball of HPs of a barb currently.

Since Schaeffer's proc is essentially Storm Armor, I was thinking of running something like this with either a high lightning skill damage LS schaeffer's or a Skorn: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#biQSTj!VdZ!bZYcaa

Basically, the idea is to do enough damage and use lifesteal to stay alive until I afk-kill my attackers when combined with regen. Is this a doomed notion without prismatic armor and Diamond Skin?

Also, how would one go about levelling a HC wizard? I know next to nothing about the class, so any guides/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: fixed incorrect build link
Edited by Norc#1435 on 12/7/2012 11:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hey, welcome to HC.

I don't know much since I am a new comer too, but if you have never played a Wiz before, I think it might be a good idea to go test you skills and learn that class in SC instead of HC. Mistakes here are not forgiving, nor forgiven.... if you know what I mean.

If you insist, I'd give you one tip: Main stat = Life. Keep both at around the same value.

More experienced HC members will fill you in for sure better than I can.

Cheers!

IO
Reply Quote
While I appreciate the feedback, I am no newcomer to HC. I have a barb at paragon 26 or so (and I para level very slowly, since I refuse to use a ruby and have worked my way up to a whopping 17K deeps from 9K or so).

I might make a SC wizard but it just feels like a waste of time I could spend levelling, and SC generally makes me feel filthy these days.
Reply Quote
As someone who's had a lot of dead HC wizards, running with teleport as your only defense seems ill advised.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:56 AMPosted by InstantOcean
I don't know much since I am a new comer too, but if you have never played a Wiz before, I think it might be a good idea to go test you skills and learn that class in SC instead of HC. Mistakes here are not forgiving, nor forgiven.... if you know what I mean.

Having basically learned to play this game in HC, I think I disagree. I think people should determine which way they have more fun, and roll that way.

If someone is OK learning the class in HC and can accept the RIP's they're inevitably going to have by doing it that way, I think it's actually better to learn in HC, if your target is to play hardcore anyway - because you won't learn to do the things people can get away with in SC, that can't be done in HC. (you will start out being careful about clearing entrances, or quickly learn to do so, for instance.)

If someone is of a temperament that they're not going to want to reroll RIP'd low-levs while they're learning, *then* they should start in SC, learn the class, and crossover later.
Reply Quote
Fairly new to HC and much newer to the wizard class, but I'm having a lot of fun with this build.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPXgQT!gbX!YZZZZZ
Reply Quote
Hrm, I agree I am a little under-defended. What additional defensive abilities might make sense, and what should I sac to get it?

Lightning Hydra seems like it might be the first on the chopping block, very unfortunately. I am loathe to get rid of Familiar because of the damage buff and the fact he sticks around when I'm DC'd.

This is the build I meant to link, btw, not the one in the original post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#biQSTj!VdZ!bZYcaa

P.S.- I am planning on running with a cold damage Buriza using scoundrel, so I might take Cold Blooded. Galvanized ward also is a possiible passive option. Is paralysis any good?
Reply Quote
Storm armor on your first wizard ever in HC?

I'll see you in a day when you post the RIP thread.

Swap out sparkflint for Diamond Skin

and illusionist for something better

You also have absolutely nothing to spend arcane power on. Put in blizzard or Meteor. Meteor imo is better because of the bulk damage it's going to deal, but blizzard is safer

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#biQPOX!VcZ!bZZbca

I would also use Wormhole on teleport. We have no way to prevent being frozen. If an elite pack lays down more than like 10 feet of frozen, you're screwed. Wormhole allows for you to get WAYYYYY away from the issue

Forget Paralysis
Totally useless. Go with Galvanizing Ward. Its says "up to 8%" chance but you will NEVER see that 8%..NEVER

It's actually quite nice with Piercing orb + Lightning hydra for a beginner kiting build. You'd be surprised how often the 2 together cause stuns
Edited by TheDutchMan#1443 on 12/7/2012 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Emmet, did you see the fixed build I linked? I wasn't planning on using ray of frost anymore.

I was also thinking of blizzard instead of Hydra (the 20% freeze rune or duration extending one I think), and then Cold-blooded instead of Paralysis.

The other option is Diamond Skin instead of hydra, and galvanizing ward I think (is the 310 health regen really that awesome? It seems to be a hugely popular passive, even in SC, and it perplexes me).
Reply Quote
Well, I've been out of the game for a while, but I LOVED galvanizing ward. The health regen IMHO is good, especially for a "squishy" class like the wizard. Blizzard itself is one of my favorite spells, right next to Hydra. The snare has saved my life countless times, and has made my venom hydra's attacks that much more potent. I'm just getting back into D3, so naturally I'm testing out stuff again, but if you want, I'll gladly go through HC mode with you and answer any questions you may have that come up along the way.
Reply Quote
Going to agree with much of what the Dutchman said. Dimound skin is a must, I used mirror image for a long time but I cant handle dmg reflect and some other tight areas without dimound skin.

Storm armor is nice but you cant handle not having Pris on unless you are very well geared and have enough dps at the same time to make those lighting strikes worth having.

Unless melle build, you need a form of kiting. Blizzard is the standard and has best kiting but crap damage. I pref. comet metoer wth cold blooded for the most dmg and gimp kite. Only problem is its expensive AP wise so I also use AP passive.

As far as wormhole goes, he is right when running it gets you the most distance. duplicates is also nice because it removes agro on from you onto your fakes for a couple extra seconds often times causing them to be jailed or vortexed instead of you.
Reply Quote
Diamond skin is pretty much a must and has saved me many time(specially vs reflect when you no life leech/life on hit).Teleport is also pretty much a must and I personally like wormhole.
You dont want mob/elite to get to you therefore having only hydra and a main skill will not cut it for dmg before the mob reach you(specially if fast mob).Temporal flux with arcane orb(celestial) or Blizzard/Hydra(my preference unless you have very good gear for orb).

I farm act3 mp0 with maxed MF since about paragon lvl 1 (now 20) with my spec and have no problem with anything(though those Fast Demonic tremor were scary and I dont even bother vs Fast+Vortex demonic tremor).
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Anomie

Having basically learned to play this game in HC, I think I disagree. I think people should determine which way they have more fun, and roll that way.

If someone is OK learning the class in HC and can accept the RIP's they're inevitably going to have by doing it that way, I think it's actually better to learn in HC, if your target is to play hardcore anyway - because you won't learn to do the things people can get away with in SC, that can't be done in HC. (you will start out being careful about clearing entrances, or quickly learn to do so, for instance.)

If someone is of a temperament that they're not going to want to reroll RIP'd low-levs while they're learning, *then* they should start in SC, learn the class, and crossover later.

We are def not on the same page on this one brother. I respect your opinion but allow me, like you did, to explain why I think it's better to learn in SC.

For one thing, starting a class you have never played before and learning it in HC is utterly counter-productive. You do not die because of carelessness or bad luck, you die from lack of knowledge. Dying in SC can be as much a learning experience than it is in HC if you pay attention and you focus on LEARNING. In HC, having to reroll your Hero from the start makes you waste time and energy and since you've seen it already, it is not very productive in terms of learning a class. I'm all for the HC way of playing but I think there is a place to learn a class and HC is not it.

So I guess we agree to disagree. No hard feelings bro.

Be well and stay safe!

IO
Reply Quote
One last thing...

The way you put it, you start with the premise that SC players don't care if they die. I do not know anyone that likes to die. Of course HC is not forgiving in that regards, SC is. But that doesn't mean that people that play SC are "suicidal". (well... yeah, some are just idiots but that is another thing! ) LOL
Edited by InstantOcean#1793 on 12/7/2012 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
I really appreciate all the feedback; some great stuff here.

I think I'm totally sold on Wormhole and Diamond Skin. So, you can't activate either Teleport or Diamond skin while you're frozen, is this true?

Basically, my build is weird because (in addition to having 0 working knowledge of the wizard class) I'm trying to do a weird thing that may very well not be possible.

I want to be able to stand in at least A1 MP 1 or A3 MP 0 inferno, and be able to DC and live. I want to have sufficient EHP, passive attacks with Storm Armor, and sustain through life steal and regen that anything that tries to kill me will die before me (other than particularly nasty elites).

Is this a pipe dream as a wizard? Even in the best of cases it involves taking several hits without being able to use active offenses and defenses.
Edited by Norc#1435 on 12/7/2012 2:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
I really appreciate all the feedback; some great stuff here.

I think I'm totally sold on Wormhole and Diamond Skin. So, you can't activate either Teleport or Diamond skin while you're frozen, is this true?

Basically, my build is weird because (in addition to having 0 working knowledge of the wizard class) I'm trying to do a weird thing that may very well not be possible.

I want to be able to stand in at least A1 MP 1 or A3 MP 0 inferno, and be able to DC and live. I want to have sufficient EHP, passive attacks with Storm Armor, and sustain through life steal and regen that anything that tries to kill me will die before me (other than particularly nasty elites).

Is this a pipe dream as a wizard? Even in the best of cases it involves taking several hits without being able to use active offenses and defenses.

you can activate diamond skin while frozen.
D/C and live wont happen no matter you do; its random if you live specially as a squishy class like wizard.
I can take quite a bit of beating if I wear a shield(res 700+) but that would kill your dmg by alot unless you have insane gear that allow you still farm mp1 with having that much defense.
Edited by Asura#1611 on 12/7/2012 4:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
. . .Sources (wiz main off hand) start as level 5 items, so you'll have to progress for a while before finding one. I personally feel you aren't a real wiz unless you use one, but to each their own...Important to keep in mind that barbs and monks get the 30% damage reduction, wizs don't. . .

@ EmmetOtter- I agree with you 99.9% of the time, but I think I just stumbled on the .1% where I gotta disagree.

A 20+% block rate shield is darn near manditory on a wiz IMO for the very reason you list in the last sentence quoted above.
I have yet to see anyone make/play a wizard that did not take hits. I agree fully that mitigation through resists and armor are critical. . .but consider that any shield worth carrying will give you both AND provide a very nice extra layer of protection. Can one have too much protection?
Edited by WhiteOwl#1550 on 12/7/2012 5:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
I fully suport you branchin out, I fully support not using the wizard to do so since you like using the "Disconnect resistent build", DH's being out of the equation (for some reason) and monks having some glitch issues, I sugest you roll with WD....
Wizards just have this fetish about dying... had those ever since that "kamikaze" phase back in WW2... dont take my word for it, just check the suicide rates in Japan and survival rate amongst HC wizards (have I mentioned that number one Hc is a wizard)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]