Diablo® III

Using Kieble's calc as a "whats next" guide?

Hey guys.. so running my just updated build through Kieble's AMAZING calc tool, I am looking at the following stats for my gear:

Item Name DPS Percentage EHP Percentage
Helm - 6.28% 3.70%
Shoulders - 2.10% 10.02%
Neck - 7.92% 6.07%
Torso - 5.63% 8.67%
Hands - 6.74% 11.97%
Waist - 2.36% 6.90%
Bracers - 4.20% 7.59%
Legs - 3.20% 9.14%
Left Finger - 3.56% 8.69%
Right Finger - 4.09% 3.07%
Feet - 3.96% 6.91%
Main Hand - 32.92% 2.63%
Off Hand - 17.03% 14.65%

Then combining the DPS and EHP percentages to see the LEAST effective gear pieces I get the following:

Item Name Total
Helm - 9.98%
Shoulders - 12.12%
Neck - 13.99%
Torso - 14.30%
Hands - 18.71%
Waist - 9.26%
Bracers - 11.79%
Legs - 12.34%
Left Finger - 12.25%
Right Finger - 7.16%
Feet - 10.87%
Main Hand - 35.55%
Off Hand - 31.68%

So to me.. I read that as right finger, then waist then helm likely need to go next?

What do you guys think about using this approach for guided gear upgrades?
Edited by Raichean#1218 on 12/7/2012 9:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would not use this approach.
Reply Quote
What would you recommend? Trying to figure out a way to systematically look for the next piece of gear. Upgrades have been massive for me lately both in DPS and EHP, but working on whats next.
Reply Quote
I don't think you'll get very good results with this. I'm not even crazy well geared but per-slot thinking is required.

For instance, the obvious places to add ASI are on my helm or pants. Swapping the pants costs me a huge amount of EHP through LoH, which won't show up on your %'s. Swapping the helm costs me some LoH, some APoC. However, I have the option to get APoC on my offhand, so my next upgrade path is APoC Chant's to let me use a Mempo's in helm slot.
Reply Quote
Granted, I am going perma-archon model so honestly AP means almost nothing to me right now. I ignore that pool entirely.
Reply Quote
What I did was develop a spreadsheet that compared my Diablo Progess itemscore for each item to the top itemscore for that slot for wizards. It's been very useful in selecting the most cost-efficient areas to upgrade my toon.
Reply Quote
Yeah, you could focus on the specific example I used because it was easiest for me to talk about and ignore the greater point I was making entirely. That's an option.

Your method correctly identified your Wailing Host as terrible, but doesn't proscribe what to look for instead. And that method is always going to complain about your belt. That's about as much defense as you can pack onto one and a great Int roll means you'll have a hard time beating it damage-wise with a rare. If you want that slot to be offensive, go with a Witching hour, but note that it's going to make your algorithm think you're sacrificing too much EHP there. Tal's belt might be a cheap compromise that would fit your alg, enough int plus the native crit should give a boost.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Ossian
What I did was develop a spreadsheet that compared my Diablo Progess itemscore for each item to the top itemscore for that slot for wizards. It's been very useful in selecting the most cost-efficient areas to upgrade my toon.

Interesting thought..
Reply Quote
Yeah, you could focus on the specific example I used because it was easiest for me to talk about and ignore the greater point I was making entirely. That's an option.

Your method correctly identified your Wailing Host as terrible, but doesn't proscribe what to look for instead. And that method is always going to complain about your belt. That's about as much defense as you can pack onto one and a great Int roll means you'll have a hard time beating it damage-wise with a rare. If you want that slot to be offensive, go with a Witching hour, but note that it's going to make your algorithm think you're sacrificing too much EHP there. Tal's belt might be a cheap compromise that would fit your alg, enough int plus the native crit should give a boost.

Actually no, it was just a counterpoint. Ultimately I fail with regularity regarding gear upgrades so trying to find a method to my madness. With startling regularity I buy something on the AH with glowing confidence my stats will improve, and the moment I can see the stats in inventory, I see my mistake. Even with my two recent significant upgrades, I wouldn't have predicted they would help raw stats, and yet they did.

(side note, yes I know (now) about linking AH in chat)

So this is more about process than anything else.
Reply Quote
I think it'd be helpful to understand why you thought things were upgrades?

At a certain point you can't trust the red/green indicators. Especially with set bonuses and +% damage they can be misleading.

One trick is to take d3up's "DPS gains by stat" and normalize them to Int. Right now, mine says +1 Int is 52.9 dps and +1 CC is 1,832.38 dps. So using a little dimensional analysis from chemistry I can say that my CC/int equivalence is 1832/52 = 34.6. So if I'm giving up a point of CC, I need to be adding at least 35 int to go DPS-positive. The complex balance of stats limits the usage (e.g. don't go swapping multiple items with the simple ratio) but it's useful if you're making tradeoffs and want a quick judgement on them.
Reply Quote
Actually I would punch a nun for stat comparisons to work directly from the AH like they do from inventory.

So mainly the screwups happen from when I look at X item.. wow.. much higher in Y of my existing item, better stats, higher dps.. blah blah.. Buy it, compare.. 15k LESS DPS?!?! WTF?!?! Offhands have bitten me so many times I hesitate buying them now!

Equally, I would expected a DPS drop, and moderately significantly when changing to my Lacuni bracer, less int and so on, yet it was a very slight increase. *shrug* Its killing me.
Reply Quote
Hey there, thanks for using my calc. The last few things you posted, it seems you should have just punched them in as new items cause it'll show the full upgrade from multiple items at once.

With the percentages they have to be looked at relatively, for example shoulders are one of the only slots that have only int as a possible dps upgrade, but does that mean since they are the lowest they should be upgraded? No. As I'm on my phone I can't look at your gear but the big thing to remember is my calc doesn't take into account things like hellfire exp rings, reduc verse Meele or ranged and other background information. While the item breakdown will give you information as you.said where your one ring provides way less ehp and dps than the other, that doesn't necessarily mean it is your worst piece.

For example if my andariels did t have a slot, it wouldnt be the worst piece of gear I had, but the fact that I could pick up a socketed Andy's for maybe 500k makes it the best upgrade for the cost.

So you're using a great way of analyzing your worst slots, but sometimes other slots will give you bigger upgrades for cheaper.
Reply Quote
I appreciate the heads up and advice. Really am hoping to gain a better understanding as I move through upgrades, especially as I get into the tens of millions tier of gear. For whatever reason I just do MISERABLY when choosing off of the AH, unless I link them, so trying to find ways around that.

I really appreciate the help and any advice. 8) Still hoping to break 200k DPS. 8)
Reply Quote
The best advice I can give you is to stop thinking about upgrades for now.

Start playing the game with the gear you have, don't do any upgrade for a week or 2. That will give you a better understanding of you character as a whole.

If you find that you are dying too fast to random mob, look into your gear and see where you could improve your DPS. Is it easier to get armor on your shoulder, Resistance on your belt..etc and try to keep in mind not to reduce the other stats too much.

For example, I've been using my gear for a few weeks now and found that I was always running around to pick up gold. so I looked at all my gear and search for similar gear but with pickup radius. results: I changed my pants and bracer, took a 2k DPS drop but gained 14m radius and some EHP as bonus.

Other example: If I had the money i'd get a Zuni Pox with similar stats as what my ring has but that's only because I could then change my chest piece to Tal's which would then give me a DPs boost. Currently my Zuni chest gives me a great amount of much needed EHP. But it's still holding back other stats I could get.

In other words, never look at a piece on its own. always look at it as part of the entire gear set.
Reply Quote
Will do.. should get more play time this week as I will have a little more free time. Last week was mostly AH farming and stat tweaking and this week actually some play time.

I will say I crossed some interesting line hitting 175k as suddenly reflect mobs are STARTLING when I am in archon mode. It was quite startling.. figure prismatic shields may be my next skill change.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]