Diablo® III

The driving force to play....disappears

Like I said MF does not guarantee a legendary drop, it only increases the chances of one dropping. Also you are seeing a tapering effect on the drop rate. If you had a drop rate of about one legendary per 30 hours of play throughout the entire life of patch 1.0.4.

Then when 1.0.5 hits the new average should be for the entire life of the patch, before drop rates change again, should be once every 15 hours. To reach that new figure legendaries should be dropping like flies early one then taper off when it reaches the new average. That is what I notice for me personally.

Sweat, I think I don't have to repeat the same thing to you. Ok to make it simple, Legendaries was part of my driving force and doing as what the CM suggested to drive our MF to the max as possible would work to improve our legendary drop but it does not as you can see there was a drastic drop of drop rate from the beginning of patch 1.0.6 till now. But after looking at your profile, I can see that you have not really try to strive in getting a legendary with max MF :)

12/09/2012 09:44 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
Some players do not even bother using MF gear and let their paragon levels handle the MF that they are looking for.

It's true indeed, but then people who so difficultly level their paragon just for the sake of MF will sooner or later found out that the MF actually did not really change the legendary drop rate they had at the beginning of the patch 1.0.6

So then there should be a way to get the BiS gear in the game with perfect rolls from merchants, huh, Just farm the gold to be able to buy the gear. GJ Blizz turning D3 into a farming for gold game instead of finding the gear yourself.

I do not understand this part but well probably you could say the game was designed not as a farming for gold game only, its also farming for magic items and especially legendaries to keep people to play this game^^.

Oh I get it there are only about 100 accounts that have level 60 characters with really great gear. There is only about 10 accounts worldwide that has the gear to do 100K+dps right?

I am talking about a simple point Watson. The demand is not there, not because no one is playing, but it is because you have the majority of players that do not need that gear. Due to the fact that they already have better gear than what you are selling. Where the only gear that would be an upgrade is godly gear with near perfect or perfect rolls costing in the 100 million+ gold range.

Your first sentence is very confusing, you are practically saying the 100 accounts and 10 accounts have both great gears lol. any account with 100k dps i consider already has great gears :)

Exactly, demand is not there. But let's keep to the topic shall we? It's not to debate the demand problem here :P I am just trying to express the issue of how i manage to see the problem with less and less players playing daily :)

Oh so it is nerf skill x then buff the same skill again by the same amount. Interesting why bother nerfing it if you are going to buff it in the next patch. The last round of nerfs where there along with the nerfs to inferno where we would see an overall buff and that is what they achieved. Meaning you did not really need to regear AFAIK. AFAIK the stats needed on the majority of the gear for the classes is all the same as before.

Nope, that's not what I meant, the developers can nerf some skills yes, thats fine but they should give another better and more attractive boost in another skill to show to people, "Yes! this is the new build diversity as the previous useless skill was now made useful :)".

That way then people can still stick on to the game and try out all the new buffs and new builds as well. Some may be able to stick to the old ways as they have invested so much in the gears for that particular build but they at least know that what Blizzard is doing is for build diversity purpose :)

And yes indeed! There are some times that when a skill was nerf too much at a point it was useless, a good game developer will realize it quick and reboost it again to a decent point:)

I admire your passion ShadowAegis. But its better for you not be blinded by the forums rage and complains, I would rather be like you who just play the game and enjoy it the way i wanted without being affected by the terrible truth that goes around the game.
Edited by SilverRhythm#6301 on 12/10/2012 6:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 06:33 AMPosted by SilverRhythm
Sweat, I think I don't have to repeat the same thing to you. Ok to make it simple, Legendaries was part of my driving force and doing as what the CM suggested to drive our MF to the max as possible would work to improve our legendary drop but it does not as you can see there was a drastic drop of drop rate from the beginning of patch 1.0.6 till now. But after looking at your profile, I can see that you have not really try to strive in getting a legendary with max MF :)

So then it is wrong to play the game without having max MF if that is what a player wants to do? So then I would have to work to earn the gold or sell out more money to keep all characters with max MF from level 1 to 60 and beyond, right? Because it is the only right way to play this game.

Also I am running an experiment to see if I can gear up all three dreads in time without using the AH at all. I want to see if it is easier playing with more than one character and one class. So far the experiment is working out fine.

Look the new patch did not increase the drop rate one bit at all, and it did not lower the drop rate. I told you in what you quoted but you do not want to do the work.

You do not keep track of all of the legendaries you got from one patch that did not change the drops to the next one that did. You do not keep track of the legendaries per hours played throughout the life of the patch. That is important, because then you would see that the legendary drop rate was actually doubled like they said. If you did and bothered to notice the new drop rate of patch 1.0.5, patch 1.0.6 does not count because it did not alter the drop rate.

That is unless you are of the group that is looking to make the devs increase the drop rate through the roof. Where it is raining legendaries, sets and rares. Where the best gear in the game with perfect rolls is falling out of the sky like rain. Where you would not be happy until the great item hunt is no more.

12/10/2012 06:33 AMPosted by SilverRhythm
I do not understand this part but well probably you could say the game was designed not as a farming for gold game only, its also farming for magic items and especially legendaries to keep people to play this game^^.

Look what is the point of trying to find an echoing fury or a skorn, if you can simply buy it from an in game vendor. That is why I said what I said. It turns the great item hunt into the farming for gold only game.

Your first sentence is very confusing, you are practically saying the 100 accounts and 10 accounts have both great gears lol. any account with 100k dps i consider already has great gears :)

Exactly, demand is not there. But let's keep to the topic shall we? It's not to debate the demand problem here :P I am just trying to express the issue of how i manage to see the problem with less and less players playing daily :)

You are not confused here at all, and you know it. You know that I am right, you know it is not a problem of less people playing. You know the problem is that there is not enough players playing for the purposes of leveling alts. A good chunk of the players already have level 60's of the classes that they want and already have them geared with great gear.

So they will not be buying the lower end or the mid range decent gear for a level 60. That would be a downgrade for them and you know it.

You only want to see the problems with selling gear on the market as a sign of less people playing than see it for what it really is as I described above. So from here on it is pointless to try to convince you otherwise.
Reply Quote
I think it's only sane and expected that when you play this many hours you need to take a break once in awhile.

It was no different in D2 - many of us played for 10+ years but not constantly. We would regularly take breaks to play other games for awhile or because it got a bit boring. But we'd be back after awhile.

If you factor in future patches, PvP, etc. I'm certain you will return later. So just take a break for awhile man. No single game could ever sustain anyone at infinitum. Especially not one that doesn't even have a subscription-model.
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 05:54 PMPosted by SilverRhythm
We are not dumb!

How ironic..
Reply Quote

So then it is wrong to play the game without having max MF if that is what a player wants to do? So then I would have to work to earn the gold or sell out more money to keep all characters with max MF from level 1 to 60 and beyond, right? Because it is the only right way to play this game.

Also I am running an experiment to see if I can gear up all three dreads in time without using the AH at all. I want to see if it is easier playing with more than one character and one class. So far the experiment is working out fine.

Look the new patch did not increase the drop rate one bit at all, and it did not lower the drop rate. I told you in what you quoted but you do not want to do the work.

You do not keep track of all of the legendaries you got from one patch that did not change the drops to the next one that did. You do not keep track of the legendaries per hours played throughout the life of the patch. That is important, because then you would see that the legendary drop rate was actually doubled like they said. If you did and bothered to notice the new drop rate of patch 1.0.5, patch 1.0.6 does not count because it did not alter the drop rate.

That is unless you are of the group that is looking to make the devs increase the drop rate through the roof. Where it is raining legendaries, sets and rares. Where the best gear in the game with perfect rolls is falling out of the sky like rain. Where you would not be happy until the great item hunt is no more.

Look what is the point of trying to find an echoing fury or a skorn, if you can simply buy it from an in game vendor. That is why I said what I said. It turns the great item hunt into the farming for gold only game.

You are not confused here at all, and you know it. You know that I am right, you know it is not a problem of less people playing. You know the problem is that there is not enough players playing for the purposes of leveling alts. A good chunk of the players already have level 60's of the classes that they want and already have them geared with great gear.

So they will not be buying the lower end or the mid range decent gear for a level 60. That would be a downgrade for them and you know it.

You only want to see the problems with selling gear on the market as a sign of less people playing than see it for what it really is as I described above. So from here on it is pointless to try to convince you otherwise.

ShadowAegis, you are one guy who really do try to talk some sense into people :). Thanks for that.

Yes, the legendary drop rate has been doubled, but when the new patch released it was like ten-fold lol. Then later they dropped it and maintain it to the double rate that they wanted to. But it definitely is not the way to do it. If its for publicity to bring people back into the game, unfortunately what Blizz has done brings a terrible opposite effect in the future when they decided to take away everyone's 10 stick of candies and leave only 1 or 2 in their hands. They should at least inform the public, to celebrate the new release of patch 1.0.6 we are going to increase legendary drop by ten-fold! LOL people will swarm back to play the game for that event :) See, events bring people back into the game.

They should have kept to a status quo and not spoil the customers anymore and that way people can see that they actually kept to their word and not working behind the scenes to implement unwanted changes/nerfs.

Btw, that's cool mate. You decided to run the game without AH and definitely you won't experience all those AH pain of spending millions just to gear yourself up :). And indeed, what you said is true about the legendary being sold in merchants but that is not my point. My point is, these merchants must have a purpose of visiting. And that one particular purpose is to check out what new stocks they have in them. Indeed it will turn out to be a gold farming game and that is where Blizz needs to know how to ensure that what they offer in the merchants have the very small chance that they suddenly can give an upgrade to a char without visiting the AH.

The best merchant was still the Gambler in D2 :) And I would really very much like if they can bring him back but now his role is replaced by the blacksmith but they can still make the gambler provide the chance to draw out a legendary that nobody can find from drop or craft. It makes this merchant worth a visit.

Yes, i agree about the buying of lower end gears that downgrade them. But if there is a huge amount of players out there in the range of hundred thousands, you will find many players similar to what you have in gear now and they will eventually seek out those decent stats gears to gear them up. But well this is getting off topic;)
Edited by SilverRhythm#6301 on 12/10/2012 7:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think it's only sane and expected that when you play this many hours you need to take a break once in awhile.

It was no different in D2 - many of us played for 10+ years but not constantly. We would regularly take breaks to play other games for awhile or because it got a bit boring. But we'd be back after awhile.

If you factor in future patches, PvP, etc. I'm certain you will return later. So just take a break for awhile man. No single game could ever sustain anyone at infinitum. Especially not one that doesn't even have a subscription-model.

Thanks for the notice^^ Yeah me and my team decided to limit our D3 time to only 1 or 2 key runs or uber runs now. Now we are looking forward to a new game that we have just discovered to conquer! WRAGHH
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 07:14 AMPosted by SilverRhythm
Yes, the legendary drop rate has been doubled, but when the new patch released it was like ten-fold lol. Then later they dropped it and maintain it to the double rate that they wanted to. But it definitely is not the way to do it. If its for publicity to bring people back into the game, unfortunately what Blizz has done brings a terrible opposite effect in the future when they decided to take away everyone's 10 stick of candies and leave only 1 or 2 in their hands. They should at least inform the public, to celebrate the new release of patch 1.0.6 we are going to increase legendary drop by ten-fold! LOL people will swarm back to play the game for that event :) See, events bring people back into the game.

For me the drop rate did not change one bit with the new patch. I did not get any more legendaries per hours played than I did before or after it.

12/10/2012 07:14 AMPosted by SilverRhythm
Btw, that's cool mate. You decided to run the game without AH and definitely you won't experience all those AH pain of spending millions just to gear yourself up :). And indeed, what you said is true about the legendary being sold in merchants but that is not my point. My point is, these merchants must have a purpose of visiting. And that one particular purpose is to check out what new stocks they have in them. Indeed it will turn out to be a gold farming game and that is where Blizz needs to know how to ensure that what they offer in the merchants have the very small chance that they suddenly can give an upgrade to a char without visiting the AH.

The merchants right now are useful as fillers until you start getting good drops in late nightmare to early hell. I have gotten more than enough upgrades leveling using them than I can count. They are like what crafting is intended to be a filler. Not some small chance of getting really good gear from them. I would rather finding it in drops than buying it from a vendor.

Blizz could change their stance on this subject to give others the idea that they might not have to visit the AH just to gear up.

But I will press on with my experiment and if successful I will post the results here on the forums. Hey who knows I might just find a way to make things easier for others to gear up their characters.
Reply Quote
TLDR

800 hours and you realize what many have realized in 100 hours. .. welcome to an asian grind.

Posting about that on the forums now will entail this:

Being called stupid for investing so many hours just to find out,
or vice versa
being called ignorant for not investing enough hours to grant an experienced opinion.

What a community.
Edited by KradisZ#1651 on 12/10/2012 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Friend, you have logged 800 hours. Just switch games like every person does because it is inevitable. You do not want the fun to end, and I am with you on that! But there is finite content in games. Even WoW. All I can say to encourage you is that like WoW and LoL, the way they keep players around is by continuously adding content to "refresh" the game. It is the only way.

Leave now, but come back later :)
Reply Quote
"I hate this game!"
proceeds to put hundreds of hours into game and forum posts....ya

put that much time into a single game designed for maybe 50 hours and it does get old. grats
Edited by Cakemountain#1234 on 12/10/2012 12:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Items are boring and most rolls don't even make sense. Legendaries have no substance, set items are almost non-existent, took me nearly 800 hours to find 2 green set items. 2H Weps are nearly worthless. Hellfire Ring is account bound, totally stupid. No Jewels, No Runewords, No Charms, No skill Points. In fact, where is the diamond & sapphire gems? No game creation for trading, social life on diablo 3 is non-existant. I can go on and on...

I'm not trying to sound typical, but these are some of the reasons this game is dropping off...
Reply Quote
800 hours? i figured that out my first 20 hours playing ;-p. nah all seriousness though its just something to pass the time. if i get a good legendary, great! if not, well damn whatever
Reply Quote
MF

MF... that one stat that you "hope" will help you in some sort of way... Just a disappointing stat imo.

Paragon Level Reward

PLVL is just something to distract yourself. Not a thing unto itself. Quite ironic that Blizzard added this when they stated that they were just going to level 60 and not going to 99. Lolz...

What do I do next?
Well let's just say after you hit level 100 of paragon.....hmm Uber boss fights?

Uber bosses... horrible concept for a horrible reward (that sounds good but sucks imo). Diablo 2 at least made not only the concept better, but made the process in fighting the ubers as well good. If you have played Median XL you'd know that Mod Laz had created several challenges to give farming a point, again with good rewards.

Buying and Selling Items
Merchants in-game, a total joke! Why can't once in a while, give the merchants in-game a purpose for us to visit rather than keep selling and selling items to them. They will go broke! I mean in reality that is :P. Well, why not bring back the Gambler from D2? the one that give us the challenge to spend a hefty amount of gold to randomly get rare items and possibly draw a legendary item.

As someone said, Gambler won't work. One major problem is that legendary/set items just... suck. Blizzard made the RNG far too large in my opinion when it comes to legendary/set items. If D3 DID have the gambler you'd have to rely on a small chance in getting a legendary item and then an even smaller chance in that legendary being the right type or item with the right affixes and rolls.

D3's itemization is just... bad.

Less and less people are playing

Due to lack of content and the easy access to end game items thus making the game hardly last awhile.

EDIT: Nerfs and Nerfs
This title says it all. This game that took so many years just to develop and eventually the balancing issue is a joke. Nerfs all the way. I think of all the games I experienced so far, this game and Dota are the only game giving massive nerfs. But Dota quickly rebound back with buffs on certain heroes on a patch in like 2-3 weeks time to quickly readjust its balancing. Now I know comparing Dota and D3 is like comparing apple and orange. But what I want to express is.....there MUST be something in every game development. to rebound back the frustrated customers.

Yup... nerfs. Blizzard made a horrible mistake. When coming out with a new game you have to be on top of the ball in balancing skills ASAP and not waiting for people to use real money or invest in gear that go side by side with the skill build.

In the end it should always be just buffing, nerf/buffing (nerf on part of the skill that makes it too op, then buff another part as compensation), or changing the skill/rune all together.

If Blizzard was on top of the ball the OP WW barb, CM Wizard, archon god mode wizard, permanent smoke screen (both before the nerf and with nat's old item set), and other builds that are far too op in their own right wouldn't have lived so long.

But then... people rely on these op builds for their survival which brings me to combat in this game and enemies... For some reason the fighting in this game with the monsters doesn't really scream "tactics" to me... but more like cheesy.
Reply Quote
So MF has to guarantee a legendary drop huh. After you get x amount of MF you get legendaries raining out of the sky. Then what is next after raising MF to x level then the legendaries are guaranteed to roll with perfect stats.

Next I guess you expected paragon levels to make you a god. Sorry but paragon leveling was not put into place for that reason. Paragon leveling is there so that in time you will not have to worry about having an MF set on your character in order to be able to find good gear.

Most players right now have really good gear. So they do not want what they already have or an items that is actually a downgrade. So they are looking for better and best.

Nerfing: Come on let's be real. Show me a PC game where the devs did not have to nerf anything. A game where they had it perfectly balanced from day one. Heck Blizz North had to make balance changes to the classes as well.
Reply Quote
The gambler was the best merchant in-game and I loved to visit him often as a challenge to get items of good stats. And yeah, you just replaced the gambler into the blacksmith in this game where you forge the rare items and it gives you random stats. But bring back the gambler and give him some chance of giving a legendary item that can only be found in him! The super rare legendary!

You know who typically liked the Gambler merchants from Diablo 2? The people who currently spend an ungodly amount of time in the Auction Houses, buying more items than they're finding.

In all of this tirade, like everyone else with similar tirades, not once do you mention how much time you've spent ruining the game for yourself in the AH. Here's a tip. Of course the driving force disappears...know why? Because you bought all your gear instead of finding it.

Check this out. Just got my Level 53 Barb to Hell difficulty this morning before work (only need him and my DH to level 60 and I'll have a five set of classes at level 60). Before heading to work, I wanted to check out how he performed in Hell Diff, maybe pick a MP to work on tonight when I get home. On my way to Old Tristram, I found this drop from a random monster:

Blackguard 2h Sword:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/blackguard

I was previously using this, had two sockets in which I put a ruby and an amethyst:
Skywarden 2h Mace:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/skywarden

I saw the beam of light hit, and I immediately got excited for a legendary drop. My Barb doesn't even have much in the way of MF on his gear, and even though he was in Hell difficulty, I'd only put it on maybe MP 3 or 4. But it was a definite improvement from the Skywarden. I have a Blade of Prophecy waiting that will boost his DPS to around 9 or 10k and a Sultan of Blinding Sand he may use at Level 60 that will go farther than that.

Point is, you can go on a rant and say that the driving force of the game disappears because Paragon grinding is boring and items aren't worth as much as you think they should be, but items are still worth a ton to me and the ONLY character I use the AH for is my Wizard (solely because friends want to use it and I want to keep up). None of my other characters use the AH, and I'm having far more fun with those characters than my Wizard.

Know why? Because even low level legendaries are fun for me to find. Because if I'm subsisting on all FOUND gear, I don't just look at legendaries and see potential for dollar signs, I think, "how can I put that to use?" Because even when I kill the Uber Bosses and make a bunch of Hellfire Rings, I'll still have MP10 to conquer with everyone, because shopping in the AH hasn't allowed me to shoot to the end of that trail.

In fact, due to the immense amount of QQing around here, it actually inspired me to start two Hardcore characters to prove going without the AH can absolutely be done. So even when my Softcore characters are maxed the hell out, I still have Hardcore to conquer. Figure, if my Softcore Wizard is going to be the only character I buy stuff for from the AH, making a Hardcore Wizard will easily make up for it in spades.

But please...you bought a bunch of endgame gear, you've killed almost 50000 elites, and you're going to sit there and claim the driving force to play disappears?

So...are you still playing with no driving force, or are your logins to D3 just on autopilot now?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]