...just wanted to know if APS influenced how often channeled spells like Disintegrate proc CM. He was told that it did not, because Disintegrate ticks twice per second no matter what your APS is, and that stacking ASI was just a good way to drain your AP really fast. I was pretty sure that wasn't right, so I checked it out myself. Turns out I was totally wrong.
I popped Archon, cancelled it, and then spammed Disintegrate on a single MP10 zombie until Archon's cooldown was over. I measured how many seconds of constant channeling it took to refresh Archon. The cooldown-relevant factors were:
- Archon: No Rune, the cooldown I was resetting.
- Critical Mass, the actual proc I was triggering.
- 22.5% CC, to proc CM.
For Disintegrate, I used both the Chaos Nexus and Convergence runes, chosen because they have the same proc coefficient ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004036888 ), so any difference between them is purely due to the crits from CN's secondary beams.
I also used two different attack speed setups, one with an ASI dagger (total character APS = 1.67) and one with a 2H mace (total character APS = 0.98).
I used Energy Armor: Energy Tap, and Diamond Skin: Prism to keep my AP from running dry on the fast tests. This should have had no effect on cooldowns whatsoever.
Procs/second were calculated by taking 120 (the total time Archon should take to reset its cooldown without CM) minus T (the actual time it took to reset Archon's cooldown), and dividing the difference by T, i.e.:
Procs/sec = (120 - T) / T
Comparison of the rate at which secondary beams are fired by Chaos Nexus for slow vs. fast weapons was eyeballed by counting the number of beams fired over a 5s window in a frame-by-frame viewing of the video.
- Chaos Nexus, fast weapon: 88s to refresh Archon. 0.364 procs/sec. 18 secondary beams fired between 42s and 47s in the video.
- Chaos Nexus, slow weapon: 86s to refresh Archon. 0.395 procs/sec. 11 secondary beams fired between 14s and 29s in the video.
- Convergence, fast weapon: 88s to refresh Archon. 0.364 procs/sec.
- Convergence, slow weapon: 87s to refresh Archon. 0.379 procs/sec.
- Attack speed appears to have no effect on the rate at which Disintegrate procs CM.
- Attack speed does appear to cause CN to proc secondary beams more quickly.
- ...but it doesn't show up in cooldown reduction from CM procs; CN shows no advantage over Convergence, and fast CN shows no advantage over slow CN.
- The fact that these beams don't seem to speed up the CM procs may indicate that they have a very low or zero proc coefficient, or that my testing just wasn't rigorous enough to notice the difference (if I really wanted to do this right, I'd average over a whole bunch of trials, but I'm too lazy).
- The encoding of my videos was crappy enough to make CN beam counting a little difficult, but seriously, try it yourself in-game with a fast vs. slow weapon setup; it's night and day. Fast weapons definitely proc secondary beams faster.
tl;dr Using fast weapons with Disintegrate sucks. It doesn't help you proc stuff more quickly, just burns your AP really fast. Go get yourself a Skorn.