Diablo® III

Discuss Captcha vs Bots (Please Read)

Botters. Biggest cause of the diminishing value of gold and items

I have been wondering.. Could a Captcha at the beginning of each game and every 30 minutes or so possibly end the botting problem? If so in my opinion this could be worth it.

I would not mind typing in a captcha at all if it meant saving this game economy from being ruined...

Also the captcha could add a bonus to the player (bonus to attack, magic find, resists etc.) for a limited time, and maybe add 1nv at the beginning of the game... Any ideas...?

I've been trying to think of ways to end this problem and possibly help blizz with this issue..

Please Discuss

Maybe the legit diehard fans can help blizzard find a way to save diablo 3 from botters who refuse to put in the time and effort to earn what they have, and cheating to the top while destroying the game in the process...
Reply Quote
It's a possibility but whiners or those who bot themselves will always find an excuse to bash this idea..
Reply Quote
Captcha yes. Every 30min and/or providing any kind of "reward", no.
Reply Quote
Agreed. The reward itself should be the fact that it's stopping most botters!
Reply Quote
awesome! Lets see a blue post on this?! Maybe blizz can can work out an idea and expand on this idea to ruin the botters, and bring our d3 economy back to life :)
Reply Quote
there are services out there that will solve the Captcha for the bots. it will do nothing at all to stop them or even slow them down. this would only effect the normal players. never should a player be forced to stop playing every 30 mins to enter a code.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:26 PMPosted by drunkie
there are services out there that will solve the Captcha for the bots. it will do nothing at all to stop them or even slow them down. this would only effect the normal players. never should a player be forced to stop playing every 30 mins to enter a code.

really cause these services would not work for a more complex Captcha or a sound captcha.
I smell a botter in fear :)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
It wont stop them at all. I play another game that has a massive bot problem probably even worse than D3 if u can imagine it. They implemented captchas and the bot creaters found a way around the captchas,

Its a good idea but technology has gotten past captchas these days
Reply Quote
There's a reason no other successful game does it. Causewhile it might stop script kidds from botting for a couple weeks(until someone sells them a program to get past it) It won't stop the people that are the real problem which are gold farmers running hundreds of accounts who will buy a program to get by them or pay some random company $0.75 per 1000 captchas to solve them for them, and then all it becomes is a hindrance to legitimate players.

TL;DR Captchas won't solve anything goldfarmers would still be making crazy profit even after paying for a program to get past them, or paying people $0.75/1000 Captchas to do them for them.
Reply Quote
i get tired of typing authenticator code already. You mean i will enjoy typing captcha for every game? It will just punish more players than bots.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:32 PMPosted by ZeN

really cause these services would not work for a more complex Captcha or a sound captcha.
I smell a botter in fear :)
Yes, they would. The services are real people on the other side who sit there and solve captchas all day long.
Reply Quote
Simple captchas are easily read.

however, there have been new captchas.

It shows random product logos and asks to explain the product in any word.

Drop down trivia ex: What is the smallest?
options: Elephant, dog, cat, mouse

There's also sound captchas etc.

It would be effective, for the most part. Would deny overnight botting and would keep botters at their computer having to solve each captcha.

This only slightly lessens the gap between botter and gamer efficiency while raising so many more problems with this game.

My vote for this is a no.
Reply Quote
Botters raging in here already by the looks. lol. Even if it only takes out 1/2 the botters that would still be worth it, and typing in a captcha for an added bonus to mf or damage would make it worth it for you too take 3 seconds to type in the captcha
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:44 PMPosted by ZeN
Botters raging in here already by the looks. lol. Even if it only takes out 1/2 the botters that would still be worth it, and typing in a captcha for an added bonus to mf or damage would make it worth it for you too take 3 seconds to type in the captcha
Yes, everyone here saying Captchas won't work and giving you reasons why they won't work is clearly a botter. Captchas won't work get over it.
Reply Quote
Captchas are annoying for everyone and would be a bad move. The easy way to get rid of bots is to make it really hard to bot without injecting anything into the game, because it's easier to catch with warden. All that really needs to happen is to up the amount of random things that a bot has to consider to make it hard. Random exits from town random dungeon layouts, random monster locations, even slightly random discolorations on objects would make it super difficult to create a good bot that doesn't inject anything.
Reply Quote
guys I am 100% not a botter and I would like to see a resolution to this problem as well but I don't think captchas will cut it. the big time botters can always work around them no matter what. worse case, you have one guy monitoring dozens of bots and every time a captcha needs entering a warning pops up, he enters the captcha and waits for the next. it will certainly filter out some of the small time botters but I don't think that those small time users are the real issue.
Edited by padako#1522 on 12/7/2012 2:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Don't bot. Don't want captcha. I get kicked out enough as it is just with stupid input limit reached. I would hate to get kicked out cause I couldn't quite tell if that was an m, nr, or nn in some stupid captcha.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:48 PMPosted by padako
guys I am 100% not a botter and I would like to see a resolution to this problem as well but I don't think captchas will cut it. the big time botters can always work around them no matter what. worse case, you have one guy monitoring dozens of bots and every time a captcha needs entering a warning pops up, he enters the captcha and waits for the next. it will certainly filter out some of the small time botters but I don't think that those small time users are the real issue.

There is no way 1 person could watch 100+bots waiting for captchas, and like I said. Even if this stopped 50% of the botters it would still make a huge impact. one way or another the answer to this problem is out there. So start brainstorming and lets find it!
Edited by ZeN#1564 on 12/7/2012 2:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:55 PMPosted by ZeN
There is no way 1 person could watch 100+bots waiting for captchas, and like I said. Even if this stopped 50% of the botters it would still make a huge impact. one way or another the answer to this problem is out there. So start brainstorming and lets find it!

they could have 100 bots running on 1 screen in virtual instances with a process that checks memory streams (like LootAlert) and then gives them a warning and directs them to the correct virtual instance. it's very possible and not that difficult. keep in mind, the big time botters that are doing this for a living are probably already monitoring their bots as it is so it wouldn't be that big of a change for them. without eliminate the big timers, I doubt you would rectify 50% of the problem.

I don't think captcha is the right answer but I am open to hearing further suggestions here.
Edited by padako#1522 on 12/7/2012 3:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
When the answer is found the botters will for sure complain about the resolution, and try to get it removed, but us legit players need to make sure that something is done about this, and not give up till a solution is found
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]