Diablo® III

Discuss Captcha vs Bots (Please Read)

Funny thing is a lot of the people who troll these forums all day are more then likely some of the botters, because us legit players are actually playing the game lol
Reply Quote
This discussion has many tiers.

On the effectiveness of captchas
Simple captchas are easily read.

It is very easy to claim this of course. The issue is that in reality, reading random letters is OCR and OCR is AI-complete. This means that to really read captchas all the time is theoretically as difficult as making a computer talk and make you feel like you are talking with a human.

Of course, in practice, since captchas tend to be generated using computers, there have been a plethora of vulnerabilities found in some captchas. But they get fixed... It is an arms race. But for example, re-captcha updates plenty of times.

Another thing about re-captcha is that it sometimes uses stuff from books. The spammers that would easily crack those have much better things to do than make a D3 bot.

Of course, there are services that crack captchas. But they either only work with very simple captchas nobody uses anymore OR cost money. Why do so many web companies use captchas? It is because it does not matter that Captchas do not stop 100% of automatic abuse. But they greatly reduce it. Moderators (humans) can deal with the remaining percentage that survives captchas.

[u]Make no mistake Captchas ARE effective against automatic abuse. A well-implemented Captcha that keeps getting updated would seriously impair the current robot business.[/i]

however, there have been new captchas.

It shows random product logos and asks to explain the product in any word.

Drop down trivia ex: What is the smallest?
options: Elephant, dog, cat, mouse

These trivia captchas are very weak. Because you are given four options. Your bot can just choose a random one. And have 25% chance to pass.

On whether or not Captchas CAN be implemented effectively
But although Captchas just work, there is still the whole problem on getting them in the game.

Captchas have to be rather frequent. Because if for example, the game just asks a captcha every four hours. The bot owner only needs to return to his computers running bots every four hours and type some text. It would not slow him down at all.

Can we make them work? The truth is that in order to implement captchas in an effective way, it would also have to be an annoying and intrussive way.

A long time ago I thought of an idea for "Town portal Captchas" . Captchas that always appear when you do a town portal. Current bots need to teleport to town and back to other heroes all the time and there is always a 10 second wait while you open the portal, so it could work. But it is still an annoying intrusive feature.

However, I think that at least AH bots can be dealt with.. Simply add a captcha for every transaction. A normal player does not make so many purchases or so many sales every day, so you would be at most typing a captcha 20 times a day if you are really good at selling by buyout. At the same time , AH bots would be hopeless.

Is it worth it?
Players will have to decide if they'd rather solve captchas all the time, or live with the reality of bots. I am not completely sure of what the best decision is.

Awesome response! Nice idea about the townportal captcha, and the ah captcha! These points are all valid. YES! Even if we did not stop a large portion and 100% of the ah bots that alone would be awesome! Also adding a bonus to the captcha (+mf, dps, armor, resists) for a limited time would make this much more acceptable, and feel much less intrusive. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!
Reply Quote

Botters would:
A) Utilize a program the fill out captcha thus making this change only inconvenience legit players.

OR

B) Assuming captcha could never be overcome by a bot program....
Botters would physically enter the captcha and bot. Do you seriously believe that people won't invest 5 seconds every 30 minutes for otherwise free money?

Note:
Botting isn't the only thing 'killing the economy'.
Assume botting is completely removed from D&D. Guess what?
People can still AH flip for mass gold compared to farming.
People can still buy gold from the RMAH and 3rd parties.

Since Blizzard can't just erase the existing gold and marketplace the end result is an insignificant change.

Note 2:
You may now assume I'm a botter because I oppose an idea that I don't believe would work.
Edited by babinro#1836 on 12/7/2012 3:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
+1 for captcha
Reply Quote

Botters would:
A) Utilize a program the fill out captcha thus making this change only inconvenience legit players.

OR

B) Assuming captcha could never be overcome by a bot program....
Botters would physically enter the captcha and bot. Do you seriously believe that people won't invest 5 seconds every 30 minutes for otherwise free money?

Note:
Botting isn't the only thing 'killing the economy'.
Assume botting is completely removed from D&D. Guess what?
People can still AH flip for mass gold compared to farming.
People can still buy gold from the RMAH and 3rd parties.

Since Blizzard can't just erase the existing gold and marketplace the end result is an insignificant change.

Note 2:
You may now assume I'm a botter because I oppose an idea that I don't believe would work.

The point is this would stop a LOT of the botting

And yes they can watch it, but you really think all these botters sit at the pc all day? These bots can run while they sleep, go to work. Whatever.. Ah flipping is part of the game. that has nothing to do with people using 3 party programs to run the game for them....
Edited by ZeN#1564 on 12/7/2012 3:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
If blizzard uses a unique captcha server side it will crush demonbuddy. If they use some !@#$ty captcha program it wont do %^-*. Either way blizzard wont add captcha. 80% of blizzards income off diablo 3 is botters buying new keys and selling on RMAH
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 03:34 PMPosted by spin2win
If blizzard uses a unique captcha server side it will crush demonbuddy. If they use some !@#$ty captcha program it wont do %^-*. Either way blizzard wont add captcha. 80% of blizzards income off diablo 3 is botters buying new keys and selling on RMAH

Yea well if the value of items went back up because bots can't farm them anymore, or as many. this would also increase the money blizz gets from rmah because the price of items would go back to where it should be, and the legit players would finally be rewarded for the time and effort they put into the game, instead of people who bot to the top, and don't even really play the game at all. they deserve what they put in. Nothing
Edited by ZeN#1564 on 12/7/2012 3:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Captcha does nothing to people who can program a freaking bot to play Diablo 3 for them. You think reading some text and repeating it would be any sort of challenge whatsoever? No.

Stop wasting thread space with your tears

yea the programmers themselves may find a way around it eventually, but the people buying the bots and using them by the hundreds would not know how to bypass this. Shhh botter go away
Edited by ZeN#1564 on 12/7/2012 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
capcha should give a stack of valor. and should be once every 45-60min
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
Captcha would SOLVE the bot problem, every monkey knows that, but!

1) Less botters = less D3 accounts sold

2) now it's too late to care, because ppl got like 2bil + gold in their inventory and good items cost like 1b+.
Reply Quote
catcpha can be very easily defeated by bots.

Any hardcore download would know JDownloader is pretty decent at beating catcpha from Rapidshare and so on..

and like several comments above, there could be a sentry that's taking care of the bot fam and can just manually key in the catcpha

also, by having a catcpha I feel alot of player will get irritated and quit. the player base is already in a very sad state now.
Reply Quote
Captchas are a cute idea and all... but what happened to I dunno...

Random maps?
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 02:43 PMPosted by MammthWffle
There's also sound captchas etc.

This would do what, exactly to people who are deaf? Think before you post. By the way, capchas are a pest and do not belong in games.
Reply Quote
+1!
Reply Quote
captchasss FTW.
&&yes it can be done. I've had first hand experience with an mmo that had used an in game captcha program and it was successful.
cry botters cry.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]