Diablo® III

Discuss Captcha vs Bots (Please Read)

Blizzard is NOT going to use captcha, plain and simple. It will impede and punish the legitimate player for which Blizzard does not want to do. So, chances of Blizzard implementing this is nearly nonexistent.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 03:02 PMPosted by Nilrem
Blizzard is NOT going to use captcha, plain and simple. It will impede and punish the legitimate player for which Blizzard does not want to do. So, chances of Blizzard implementing this is nearly nonexistent.

gtfo botter. would much rather see this game succeed with a captcha then to fall to botting trash like you
Reply Quote
DERPPP if you're a legitimate player, than you're obviously going to want the botters gone, and wouldn't mind the captchas being used to eliminate a majority of them. i know i wouldn't. i bust my !@# for what i have and believe these botters should have to do the same. god forbid you have to put a 10 letter phrase into a little box to prevent the market of D3 from crashing more than it already has. you people need to think outside of the box. wah.
Reply Quote
i like bots in d3 and d2.

they make items more affordable to me lol.
Reply Quote

gtfo botter. would much rather see this game succeed with a captcha then to fall to botting trash like you

Accusing me of being a botter, what a joke. I hope you realize that this is not about you. This is about Blizzard and their philosophy. If you want to be naive and making rather childish and idiotic claim, so be it. But realize that it only hurts your defense in the end.

Like I said before, it is Blizzards philosophy to not punish the legitimate players. And seeing as captcha would in fact do that, there is almost no chance of it happening.

12/09/2012 03:11 PMPosted by KuDDleZ
DERPPP if you're a legitimate player, than you're obviously going to want the botters gone, and wouldn't mind the captchas being used to eliminate a majority of them. i know i wouldn't. i bust my !@# for what i have and believe these botters should have to do the same. god forbid you have to put a 10 letter phrase into a little box to prevent the market of D3 from crashing more than it already has. you people need to think outside of the box. wah.

Sigh, this level of logic fails on so many levels. You do not speak for every legitimate player. There is no ground for you to make the claim that if legitimate, you do not mind captcha. That is just idiotic.

The ends do not justify the means here. Punishing all the legitimate players to stop some (not all) of the botters and spammers just does not work.
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 12/9/2012 3:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
captchasss FTW.
&&yes it can be done. I've had first hand experience with an mmo that had used an in game captcha program and it was successful.
cry botters cry.

Really. Which game was that?
Reply Quote
i like bots in d3 and d2.

they make items more affordable to me lol.

yea and also make it worthless when you, and all other legit players find one
Reply Quote
IF blizzard wants to do something against bots, they would only limit the game play for 12hour/day, or at least check who is 24h online.

There is a guy in my recent list, that is online every time I log in in the last two month (I stop entering public game after 1.05, thats why he still at my recent list)

here is his profile
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kkss-3487/

two months ago he was leveling paragon, now he have 1400h and 200mil gold collected.

Detect bots and dups is very simple, Blizz just do not want to stop them, live with it, or quit.
Edited by GoejoHusan#1207 on 12/10/2012 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have proposed a captcha-free solution to botting in another captcha-support thread. I don't feel like repeating myself, much like I wouldn't feel like repeatedly entering a captcha solution every 30 minutes. (hint: a honeypot would curb botting productivity almost immediately)

I am vehemently opposed to captcha's in any place people feel compelled to use them, stated as a legit player. captchas simply do not work in real life. They are easily circumvented, easily detected and a nuisance to the real people they are meant to protect. they pose accessibility issues to people with hearing deficiencies and visual deficiencies. I have met captchas that I simply cannot read.
Reply Quote
I hate this idea, blizzard just needs to stay on top of botters and ban the account.

I prefer banning so that if the botters want to start again they buy another copy of D3 and this is income for Blizzard so hopefully they can keep a nice size staff to work on things.

Also, I feel botters aren't the problem anyways. It's the people buying from them.
Reply Quote
i've written about this before: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5966447140

what about non-pause captcha?

Just as the topic states - why not remove botters by adding captcha? This could work like this, but other ways are possible too: while being ingame (running and farming), there will be one random notification that appears on a corner of the screen and has a countdown (for all players if there's more than one player in current game); with a message that will force player to do the easy math or something else, like picking correct picture, not just the usual "type the following" etc. (up to 30 mins to reply allowed, than disconnect) - basically a captcha that doesn't pause the game. This could be adjusted to not be a big issue for real players - pop-up once in like 6-8 hours of play - is that really a problem, when we could have reduced number of bots with better AH experience?

Accounts that doesn't reply to captcha numerous times, could be flagged and just checked for possible bot farming. It could be a part of Blizzard's Terms of Use.

Please say what you think in a post, add sticky request, give a rating to the main post.

And to all sceptics out there: this can be changed in many ways over time, to be even a safer method to determine, who actually is playing the game. If done properly, it won't be a harassment to legit players.

As to one popular reply that say NO to captcha in any form:

Bots will adjust to new security features, therefore captcha will remain useless after short period of time.

Why not change the captcha system and methods, every time Blizzard announces maintenance break? They just could change things around the captcha week by week, thus provide a better marketplace for everyone and forcing bots creators to be busy again.

If not captcha, what would you propose? The question is more about how we can fight with botting, because at the current state, very important aspect of the game - economy, is broken and Blizzard, while trying hard, is still unable to find a way to fix it. Removing bots is the key here.

edit: also, if you're interested in fixing item diversity problem, meaning - if you want best 2h, in 9 of 10 instances you'll end up with Skorn or - if you're DH - Manticore, best bracers - Lacuni, and so on, please read and write here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004696112 Thanks!
Edited by fhantomPL#1840 on 12/10/2012 8:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
i've written about this before: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5966447140

what about non-pause captcha?

Just as the topic states - why not remove botters by adding captcha? This could work like this, but other ways are possible too: while being ingame (running and farming), there will be one random notification that appears on a corner of the screen and has a countdown (for all players if there's more than one player in current game); with a message that will force player to do the easy math or something else, like picking correct picture, not just the usual "type the following" etc. (up to 30 mins to reply allowed, than disconnect) - basically a captcha that doesn't pause the game. This could be adjusted to not be a big issue for real players - pop-up once in like 6-8 hours of play - is that really a problem, when we could have reduced number of bots with better AH experience?

Accounts that doesn't reply to captcha numerous times, could be flagged and just checked for possible bot farming. It could be a part of Blizzard's Terms of Use.

Please say what you think in a post, add sticky request, give a rating to the main post.

And to all sceptics out there: this can be changed in many ways over time, to be even a safer method to determine, who actually is playing the game. If done properly, it won't be a harassment to legit players.

As to one popular reply that say NO to captcha in any form:

Bots will adjust to new security features, therefore captcha will remain useless after short period of time.

Why not change the captcha system and methods, every time Blizzard announces maintenance break? They just could change things around the captcha week by week, thus provide a better marketplace for everyone and forcing bots creators to be busy again.

If not captcha, what would you propose? The question is more about how we can fight with botting, because at the current state, very important aspect of the game - economy, is broken and Blizzard, while trying hard, is still unable to find a way to fix it. Removing bots is the key here.

edit: also, if you're interested in fixing item diversity problem, meaning - if you want best 2h, in 9 of 10 instances you'll end up with Skorn or - if you're DH - Manticore, best bracers - Lacuni, and so on, please read and write here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004696112 Thanks!

+1
Reply Quote
How many HC players will quit after losing toons to a popup while they are playing? Without multiplayer pause, this will cripple groups. What if I get the phrase wrong, will I be locked out on the first attempt? I may be generalizing, but almost everyone has run into a captcha they couldn't interpret. Like others have stated, punishing all is not the solution.

I compare your captcha to the TSA. I don't want to be groped every time I play because of something another group of people are doing. There is a way to catch bots, but that is for the higher ups to implement. Before trying to come up with a solution to find bots, you need to be sure bliz is even looking for them.
Reply Quote
View profile
12/07/2012 01:55 PMPosted by ZeN
every 30 minutes or so

12/07/2012 01:55 PMPosted by ZeN
Also the captcha could add a bonus to the player (bonus to attack, magic find, resists etc.) for a limited time, and maybe add 1nv at the beginning of the game... Any ideas...?

I agree with the idea of the Captcha, but every 30 minutes, not a chance. Also, casual and even hardcore players shouldn't benefit additionally with Valor Stacks and MF just because the game's a hotbed of illegal activity and real life thieves.

I want to say they could make it so that it could ask for a Captcha only if you're in town or classified as "In Menus," but even that...enough people complain about needing an Item Lock feature because they FAIL so miserably at blazing through vending and identifying trash that they end up misequipping something, selling it accidentally, and crying a river here on the forums that Blizzard needs to change the game to fit their inability to succeed at first day crap. Captchas every 30 minutes? That'd yield some QQ, lemme tell ya.

I'd be okay with it if they could implement it without wildly interrupting gameplay. If I were in town and just reorganzing my stash or vending trash, the game asked me for a Captcha, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If I were in the midst of fending off blue champs, rares, and a fleet of other trash mobs, and a Captcha pops up, I'd be pretty peeved.
Reply Quote
Please enter the symbols you see:

Jfd-=..12x ... sorry please try again
Jhd==..12x ... sorry please try again
JHd-=..12x ...sorry please try again

Item is no longer available.

YES CAPTCHAS PLEASE
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]