Diablo® III

Is Sharpshooter worth using?

Sharpshooter definitely boosts your dps because of 100% crit chance but after 1 hit, you go down to your actual crit chance. This skill is useless for me, and I think especially for others with high cc already.

What if try to change the skill to a passive 10 or 5 cc increase other than 3 cc per second and reset after 1 critical hit. So at least to some extent, people will find it useful. LOL.

Your thoughts guys?
Reply Quote
I didn't play DH actively but there is one theoretical mistake. Crit chance goes to default 1 second after crit. So as I see the main point is to make much more dmg in this 1 sec. Probably the best way - some expensive attacking skills to make your main resource empty for 1 second and making huge dmg to enemies. Probably that was the view of blizz for this skill when it was developed. And once more - just my theory =)
Reply Quote
its an e-peen passive to boast about paper dps.
Reply Quote
it's only good when you have low crit chance. After 30% crit chance I found it useless.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 06:01 AMPosted by KainDraven
it's only good when you have low crit chance. After 30% crit chance I found it useless.

This. Once you break 30-35% crit chance, sharpshooter passive becomes useless as you are critting often enough to make it reset more often than being useful.
Reply Quote
SS is best with slow heavy hitters. it's still useful.
Reply Quote
I can't find the analysis right away, but I remember looking into the mathematics behind its usefulness and reading a post with a lot of interesting information about it. I do remember that after about 15% crit chance, the boost from Sharpshooter became nominal at best, and at about 30% or so, it was virtually useless. Really, unless you need the high burst damage front-loaded at the beginning of your fight, or you want to brag about your unrealistic paper DPS, then Sharpshooter isn't as great as it may seem.
Reply Quote
Well lets talk about the practice. If you count the time running to each new trashpack its defintly worth it. Possible oneshot alot monsters...
Reply Quote
If I had a DH I would use it. From a physical standpoint, you will crit more often with it.

You hear absolute statements such as "above x crit chance it is useless".

I walk around with 58% CC with my Barb, and yet there are occasions where I am hitting an enemy 4, 5, 6 times in a row before I finally crit.

There are also situations where you are walking from one pack to the next and have a lull in combat, or visit town. There are numerous situations where it is obviously helping.

All in all, from a physical standpoint you will crit more often with SS. I think it is one of the best passives in the game.
Reply Quote
2-3 seconds running = 9% cc, almost Barbs Weapons Master passive, which everyone use and love. Even in the middle of a fight, if you kite a little, you spend ~2 secs between big skills, that's 6% cc, maybe 9%. If you use something like Cluster Bombs, knowing that your first burst of Cluster Bombs x2 will 100% Crit and having +6-9% cc most of the time is nice IMO, no matter what any math crap says. Again, this opinion is with Cluster Bombs, didn't really tried it with faster skills.
Reply Quote
worst possible passive for a DH. much better off with perfectionist. u get crit for 1 second, which is the first shot, then has to recharge. its just something to make your dps look better on paper, when in reality u are nothing more about 2-2.5 times less dps then what it says
Reply Quote
You are forgetting that CC% bonus will never fall below 3%.
So i'ts costant +3% CC plus 3% every second.
After the critical hit you have one second before CC bonus resets itself, so if you are at 100% CC you'll have at least 2 crit shot.

Have fun with cluster bombs.

Obviously it's useless in terms of DPS but useful in terms of more crit hit chance as AngryRonald said.

Once your CC is above 40% you can switch SharpShooter whit other passives like Nightstalker.
Edited by Nickmot#2946 on 12/7/2012 6:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
If I had a DH I would use it. From a physical standpoint, you will crit more often with it.

You hear absolute statements such as "above x crit chance it is useless".

I walk around with 58% CC with my Barb, and yet there are occasions where I am hitting an enemy 4, 5, 6 times in a row before I finally crit.

There are also situations where you are walking from one pack to the next and have a lull in combat, or visit town. There are numerous situations where it is obviously helping.

All in all, from a physical standpoint you will crit more often with SS. I think it is one of the best passives in the game.

picking any set of skills for DH, you will end up critting at least once in a period of 2 seconds on average once you pass 35% crit chance from gear. This means you are going to get 3-9% additional chance to crit onto of your existing crit. We didn't say beyond X% crit, crit chance is useless. The additional increase in crit chance you get is marginal at best when you could be using another passive instead. My main DH has 51.5% crit chance. I crit multiple times a second, this passive would be a waste of a slot for me because it would just reset every second.

For me this would be I would be running 51.5-54.5% crit chance from second to second. This is such a marginal increase I rather spend that passive slot on something else. There are only two skills (runeless) that I can think of that would mean you aren't going to crit fairly often for a DH. Those would be Hungering Arrow (RUNELESS) and Evasive Fire (RUNELESS). Most people that use EF are using Covering Fire rune, so up to 3 mobs hit per attack, and Hungering Arrow has pierce, so it has the potential to hit multiple mobs. Anything else I can think of has the ability to hit multiple mobs or tick multiple times per use. This means sharpshooter will end up getting reset faster and faster based on your APS.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 05:50 AMPosted by silverwill
Sharpshooter definitely boosts your dps because of 100% crit chance but after 1 hit, you go down to your actual crit chance. This skill is useless for me, and I think especially for others with high cc already.

I actually like to believe that the higher critical chance you have, the more useful sharpshooter get, due to the lower recovery rate. But I don't like it anyway so I don't use it.
Reply Quote
The reason it loses its value after 30% isn't because the skill is no longer giving you "any" boost. It is because of diminishing returns vs. using a different passive as your crit chance gets higher.

Edit: Apparently I don't like reading. I agree with Dirk.
Edited by Psionat#1615 on 12/7/2012 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
SS is the best passive for dps, I don't know why everyone isn't using it. Might be a good thing because I was afraid they would nerf it from 3% cc to 1% cc a second. I save a ton of gold on my dh because I don't have to stack cc, only cd(and a little ias). I do dps bursts every few seconds with ss thanks to my cd.
Reply Quote
As other people have said, once you stack high amounts of crit chance, you don't need, or even want, sharpshooter anymore. Once it crits, your damage output goes back down to your regular output, then increases every second thereafter. If you're above 30%, preferably 35%, it's a useless passive.
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Erotica
As other people have said, once you stack high amounts of crit chance, you don't need, or even want, sharpshooter anymore. Once it crits, your damage output goes back down to your regular output, then increases every second thereafter. If you're above 30%, preferably 35%, it's a useless passive.

Why should I spend 100m gold on a ring with cc+cd+dex+vit+ar+armor when I can pay a few million and skip the cc on the ring and just get it with ss? There's no other really good passives like SS.
Reply Quote
17 Gnome Mage
12/07/2012 10:55 AMPosted by Ace

Why should I spend 100m gold on a ring with cc+cd+dex+vit+ar+armor when I can pay a few million and skip the cc on the ring and just get it with ss? There's no other really good passives like SS.

Archery+steady aim is practically required and then you have perfectionist or night stalker.
Reply Quote
SS is a low level skill as is smoke screen.

When low level is trying to boost every bit of damage sharpshooter is great, however soon as you can crit enough, usually above 30 it becomes a useless skill.

The same can be said about smoke screen and shadow power. At low level you do not do enough dps to make shadowpower/gloom worthwhile, so a player usually uses smoke screen untill properly geared.

Steady aim also becomes useless at high mp levels. Your dh will hardly be away 20yards from elite packs. So this skill becomes wasted 75% of the time. With crit up to 25-30 using caltrops +10, night stalker begins to pay off in juicy discipline. This allows higher level dh to stay in gloom forever without having to go either nats sets.

passives i found work best
archery-good damage boost
night stalker-refills discipline on crit
perfectionist-health and res
Edited by DarkInvalid#1222 on 12/7/2012 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]