Diablo® III

Is Sharpshooter worth using?

I take back my statement, it was a bit rude and generalized.

That said, players should adapt to what is given to them... ie: my HC DH uses a shield because I'm broke on HC... If I had tons of gold I would upgrade, but this is what has allowed me to clear all of inferno. You work with what is given to you. If you have poor gear then sharpshooter is a decent passive, but nowadays with the average DH sporting over 30% crit, SS constantly gets reset. Unless your specific build is using cluster arrow or the like for huge one hit elite kills, there ARE better passives.
Edited by kush#1208 on 12/7/2012 7:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Roll a barb - then, nerf it.
Reply Quote
SS was the !@#$. Now it's just bad and people who defend it are bad.

This is so so true, just look at any DH that is trying to defend SS in this thread... they are terrible.

Look more "Wanna Be Pros" ROFL!

I defend Sharp Shooter because it's a great Passive, post #28;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7350945058?page=2#28

Tell me again how Terrible my Demon Hunter is *yawn*

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaceAltair-2678/

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Edited by JaceAltair#2678 on 12/7/2012 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
I dont use ss cuz other dh makes fun of me
Reply Quote
I don't get it when you guys are saying that anything above 30% cc, you don't need the sharpy, it was very useful to me that the time when my CC was only 35%. I use evasive tactics at that time and kite a lot. 5 - 10 sec was crucial.

Now that I have 63% cc, it only gives me 40K DPS more when at 100%.

I say sharpy is useless when your CC is >50%, but not from 30%.

If you're at 30-35% CC, SS basically resets every 2 seconds or less (assuming 1.5 attacks per second to simplify math). SS increases your CC by 3 every second, so it will give you, AT BEST, a 6% CC boost. This also assumes that your first two hits are not crits and that your third would be a critical hit. That is clearly simplified math since your CC is increasing, so it's even more conservative, but it illustrates the point. So instead of landing 30 out of 100 hits as crits, you're landing 36 at the loss of either A) archery (which is a 100% uptime DPS boost), B) night stalker/vengeance (which is a crucial discipline regenerator) or C) steady aim or perfectionist (depending on MP level). Not a useless passive, but far from being useful enough to replace any of those passives in my opinion.
Reply Quote
Here's the easiest way to look at it:

When you are still a scrub, use sharpshooter.
When you graduate from scrub status, move on to pro passives.

edit:
Example of a sharpshooter user who actually is scrub gear'd:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaceAltair-2678/hero/10755643
^uses sharpshooter for the 300k sheet dps markup, when in reality it's far lower

edit2:
Example of an actual good DH with ~300K *REAL* DPS -- none of that scrub fluffery from using scrubshooter:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tang-1275/hero/1208349
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 12/7/2012 5:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
It depends on your base CC.
IMO having a base crit of 35 and above makes SS basically useless.
But the first 1 second on full crit is amazing tho, it was like a 5 NV, guaranteed 2-3 yellows XD
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Who8myrice
I dont use ss cuz other dh makes fun of me

Haha This wins
Reply Quote

Do you know the meaning of the word Scrub? ROFL! Google it you might learn something.

You're a perfect example of another "Wanna Be Pro", "I don't use Sharp Shooter because people will make fun of me QQ!"

I don't normally throw stones, but you're just annoying. You're a perfect example of somebody who doesn't understand something, yet acts superior to others. That's called ignorant arrogance. You are, by no means, a great DH. You're not the worst geared DH I've ever seen, but you're far from being a top tier DH, so don't flaunt your gear; it just makes you look stupid. SS isn't a useless passive, but for better DHs, there are much better choices.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 12/7/2012 6:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
SS was the !@#$. Now it's just bad and people who defend it are bad.

This is so so true, just look at any DH that is trying to defend SS in this thread... they are terrible.

I think it's funny how you can judge if someone is terrible or not just by looking at their profiles. It's about what they're capable of ingame. Use your brain dude.

This guy seriously said "pro passive"

Both of you guys got some delusions.

Hollering about "pro passives" and judging books by their cover in a pve game, where players play with different goals in mind and for different reasons.

hahahahhahah

I could call kush "terrible" for using a shield on his HC DH. But why should I? It doesn't prove or disprove you being terrible at all. It just shows you felt like using a shield. The same as those that are using Sharpshooter, feel like using Sharpshooter.

Got it?
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/7/2012 6:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't normally throw stones, but you're just annoying. You're a perfect example of somebody who doesn't understand something, yet acts superior to others. That's called ignorant arrogance. He was absolutely correct with what he said. You are, by no means, a great DH. You're not the worst geared DH I've ever seen, but you're far from being a top tier DH, so don't flaunt your gear; it just makes you look stupid. SS isn't a useless passive, but for better DHs, there are much better choices.

Hey bud, where did I act superior to others? Please direct me to the post where I acted high and mighty. . . go on?

And don't tell me I don't understand how Sharp Shooter works, it's a great passive and I answered the OP's question, and it is worth using. . . the game is about Balancing your Current Gear+Skill Set Up to efficiently kill monsters, and Sharp Shooter is one of those skills that helps a lot, so you can concentrate on getting Critical Hit Damage or Average Damage Gear, and not concentrate on just CC sacrificing your damage output.

So you say he's absolutely correct? Calling other people Scrub who uses Sharp Shooter? He doesn't even understand what the word means LOL! And he's obviously a Wallet Warrior =P. That is acting Superior to Others! just because they use Sharp Shooter. Or are you drunk that you don't get what he said?

Not everyone get's lucky with Drops and get's those 2Billion items or are Wallet Warriors, don't talk like you know everything about a Demon Hunter.

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server

Edited by JaceAltair#2678 on 12/7/2012 6:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

Do you know the meaning of the word Scrub? ROFL! Google it you might learn something.

You're a perfect example of another "Wanna Be Pro", "I don't use Sharp Shooter because people will make fun of me QQ!"

I don't normally throw stones, but you're just annoying. You're a perfect example of somebody who doesn't understand something, yet acts superior to others. That's called ignorant arrogance. He was absolutely correct with what he said. You are, by no means, a great DH. You're not the worst geared DH I've ever seen, but you're far from being a top tier DH, so don't flaunt your gear; it just makes you look stupid. SS isn't a useless passive, but for better DHs, there are much better choices.

How can you even call someone great or not based on gear?

Top DH??

Players can easily open up the wallet and become "top" by these fickle standards, or just become fortunate on their very first legendary drop in inferno and become "top" by these same mindless standards.
Reply Quote
Sharpshooter is a nice ability, but I think unless you love front loading on damage with certain abilities like Cluster it is a waste of a passive space for higher end DHs. Once you hit around 42-45 CC you really want to use SS over something like TA, Perfectionist and Archery? It just doesn't seem to have a place for higher end Demon Hunters. It's still a very good passive until you can get the gear to cancel it's effectiveness out. In the beginning I used it for a lonnngg time.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 12/7/2012 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
12/07/2012 06:13 PMPosted by Kadderly
Sharpshooter is a nice ability, but I think unless you love front loading on damage with certain abilities like Cluster it is a waste of a passive space for higher end DHs. Once you hit around 42-45 CC you really want to use SS over something like TA, Perfectionist and Archery? It just doesn't seem to have a place for higher end Demon Hunters. It's still a very good passive until you can get the gear to cancel it's effectiveness out. In the beginning I used it for a lonnngg time.

Using either gear, skill runes, or passives to cancel the need for each is exactly how the game can be played. Or you move even further in one direction.

If you're using a 1h crossbow, once you get 10% more crit you can drop archery for something else you favor. Or keep going with 20%.

It's the same freakin deal with Sharpshooter. Maybe a player doesn't want to spec crit chance, but instead crit damage and average damage? They make great use of Sharpshooter that way. Maybe they're at the point where Sharpshooter is the only thing that can give them that extra 3% crit.

Who knows.

Maybe instead of Tactical Advantage, a player wants to use Shadow Glide instead.

This is what's good about this game and what it's all about.

You know what? Blizzard really overestimated the critical thinking of the average player for this game. It is truly sad.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/7/2012 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
@JaceAltair

If that's not arrogance, I don't know what is. What he said was crude and fairly biased, but the meat of his point was correct. Lower end DHs find SS more useful because it helps offset lacking CC. Higher end DHs where CC is in a good range (ie: 30-35%) can make better use of other passives. The point is about optimizing your build. Depending on where your gear is at, there are passives that are far more beneficial. That's the point I was trying to get across. I wouldn't say anyone is a bad DH because they are using SS. That's not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is that there are better choices that will optimize your performance.

@ActionKungfu

By top tier DH I'm referring to top end gear. Looking at things objectively (that is, everyone's skill is equal), it comes down to gear. Since this is largely a gear based game, I don't see anything false with what I'm saying. Yes, everyone's gear level will vary for a variety of reasons, but ultimately, the power of your character comes down to gear and the choice of skills used. A few posts back I posted math showing how it starts to become much less useful once you reach a certain point. Both opening up your wallet and farming for hours yield the same result, so I don't see how that even comes into play when talking about passive selection.

Why are people so fixated on whether you buy gear or farm it? It changes nothing about skill selection. If you're lacking certain stats (in this case CC), you can use SS to compensate. If your CC is at a point where you don't really benefit from SS, why would you use it instead of a more useful passive? If it's for no other reason than "because I like it", be my guest and use it! If you want an objective opinion, SS might not be the best choice.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 12/7/2012 6:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
OK I have a question, can Sentries reset SS ? What about spike traps?

One thing I dont like about SS is that it can make it hard trying to work out gear upgrades if you are running with it and forget to switch it off before comparing items, when it artificially neutralizes the DPS gain for +CC on an item, and artificially overstates the gain of +CD on an item.
Edited by MuckFe#6371 on 12/7/2012 6:30 PM PST
Reply Quote

If that's not arrogance, I don't know what is.

Oh you think saying that makes me arrogant?

When those people call Demon Hunters who use Sharp Shooter terrible? ROFL!

It's more like proving that a Demon Hunter who uses Sharp Shooter is not Terrible but knows what they are doing/talking about.

Oh Please my friend.

JaceAltair EU Server

Reply Quote
12/07/2012 06:19 PMPosted by ActionKungfu

Using either gear, skill runes, or passives to cancel the need for each is exactly how the game can be played. Or you move even further in one direction.

If you're using a 1h crossbow, once you get 10% more crit you can drop archery for something else you favor. Or keep going with 20%.

It's the same freakin deal with Sharpshooter. Maybe a player doesn't want to spec crit chance, but instead crit damage and average damage? They make great use of Sharpshooter that way. Maybe they're at the point where Sharpshooter is the only thing that can give them that extra 3% crit.

Who knows.

Maybe instead of Tactical Advantage, a player wants to use Shadow Glide instead.

This is what's good about this game and what it's all about.

You know what? Blizzard really overestimated the critical thinking of the average player for this game. It is truly sad.

People can simply not stack CC in hopes sharpshooter is going to cover that up, but it's not practical. Also I know what Shadow Glide is and use it for my Strafe build for my demon hunter when I'm tired of the same ol' cookie cutter builds, stop assuming people who attack Sharpshooter don't know what they are talking about. It's insulting.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]