Diablo® III

Is Sharpshooter worth using?

View profile
@JaceAltair

Look more "Wanna Be Pros" ROFL!

Tell me again how Terrible my Demon Hunter is *yawn*

If that's not arrogance, I don't know what is. What he said was crude and fairly biased, but the meat of his point was correct. Lower end DHs find SS more useful because it helps offset lacking CC. Higher end DHs where CC is in a good range (ie: 30-35%) can make better use of other passives. The point is about optimizing your build. Depending on where your gear is at, there are passives that are far more beneficial. That's the point I was trying to get across. I wouldn't say anyone is a bad DH because they are using SS. That's not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is that there are better choices that will optimize your performance.

@ActionKungfu

By top tier DH I'm referring to top end gear. Looking at things objectively (that is, everyone's skill is equal), it comes down to gear. Since this is largely a gear based game, I don't see anything false with what I'm saying. Yes, everyone's gear level will vary for a variety of reasons, but ultimately, the power of your character comes down to gear and the choice of skills used. A few posts back I posted math showing how it starts to become much less useful once you reach a certain point. Both opening up your wallet and farming for hours yield the same result, so I don't see how that even comes into play when talking about passive selection.

Why are people so fixated on whether you buy gear or farm it? It changes nothing about skill selection. If you're lacking certain stats (in this case CC), you can use SS to compensate. If your CC is at a point where you don't really benefit from SS, why would you use it instead of a more useful passive? If it's for no other reason than "because I like it", be my guest and use it! If you want an objective opinion, SS might not be the best choice.

Your post is throwing me off a lot here, because it's coming from the right place. However, the choice of words just seems like you disagree with me.

I don't call a top player a top player based on their gear, and I don't judge people or write them off because of their gear either. I would call them a top player based on their ability ingame, through action. AND, their knowledge about what their classes of choice are capable of.

Your version of "top player" in this game can be faked or bought. I don't see anything objective about that whatsoever.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/7/2012 6:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

Using either gear, skill runes, or passives to cancel the need for each is exactly how the game can be played. Or you move even further in one direction.

If you're using a 1h crossbow, once you get 10% more crit you can drop archery for something else you favor. Or keep going with 20%.

It's the same freakin deal with Sharpshooter. Maybe a player doesn't want to spec crit chance, but instead crit damage and average damage? They make great use of Sharpshooter that way. Maybe they're at the point where Sharpshooter is the only thing that can give them that extra 3% crit.

Who knows.

Maybe instead of Tactical Advantage, a player wants to use Shadow Glide instead.

This is what's good about this game and what it's all about.

You know what? Blizzard really overestimated the critical thinking of the average player for this game. It is truly sad.

People can simply not stack CC in hopes sharpshooter is going to cover that up, but it's not practical. Also I know what Shadow Glide is and use it for my Strafe build for my demon hunter when I'm tired of the same ol' cookie cutter builds, stop assuming people who attack Sharpshooter don't know what they are talking about. It's insulting.

Actually it is practical. Care to explain to me how it isn't? When I felt like using it earlier on in hardcore inferno, I used it, because I felt like it and wanted my first flurry to severely wound the monsters. Who knows when I'd have gotten the chance again plot a preemptive strike like that again during the battle.

Basically anything you do in this game is practical as long as you get the job done and survive. There's really no other standard because this game lacks any regulation.

It's insulting when someone tries to call another player a scrub just based on what gear is sitting on their profile, and not what they're actually capable of ingame.

It's not about sheet dps, or sharpshooter bloat. It's about effective dps anyway, and quite frankly, if sharpshooter increases someone's effective dps and that's what they're aiming to do? Then it's worth using.

My last part of my reply from your quote, wasn't directed specifically toward you, but it's to anyone that fails to think critically. I apologize.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/7/2012 6:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
I apologize too because I did think you were directing that to me since you quoted my post, but anyway. In my original post I didn't say there is no usages for sharpshooter, if you like front loading damage skills I think sharpshooter is a pretty good passive to take. Using a cluster bomb with a guaranteed or close to guaranteed critical hit is nice, especially against elites. However if this isn't your build I really don't know how it could be practical. This game first and foremost is about gear and there are a few pieces of non-legendary gear slots that naturally only roll crit chance (helm and bracers), so naturally even through random drops your CC is going to improve a heck of a lot faster than other gear DPS bonuses. Not to mention CC is some of the strongest at improving natural DPs. It doesn't seem practical to ignore CC, keep SS and stack AS and CD.

Like I said I also don't think it's practical to continue using sharpshooter unless you use front-end damage skills like cluster bomb or spike trap where you get massive damage bonuses on the first attack. I will sit here and tell you there are probably very good players who use SS and don't meet any of the criteria on why I wouldn't use it, but there are also good Dan players in Street Fighter.
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 12/7/2012 6:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
Here's the easiest way to look at it:
When you are still a scrub, use sharpshooter.
When you graduate from scrub status, move on to pro passives.

He gets super high dps for a bargain. He does need an amethyst gem in helm, his ehp is super low. As for the edit2, He would gain alot of dps if he used a 2 socket manticore. Why the heck is he using a 1h? Almost no DH uses 1h xbows! 2h+quiver is superior to any 1h. He also has three items with 12% movement speed so he's losing out due to the 25% cap. He spent hundreds of millions of gold for all that crit chance when SS gives it for free! Yes I know that SS gives you dps bursts before reset, but it still works very well!
Reply Quote
The worthiness depends on your entire build and play style, just like any other skill/passive.

Contrary to popular belief, your current crit chance does not affect the usefulness of SS. However, your attack speed, damage and crit damage does. (most)Skills do not use your paper DPS, only thing matters for SS is the 1second after your crit hit. Low crit chance does not have an edge over high crit chance. Slow approaching skills like spike trap and ball lightning take huge advantage of SS, as you will be firing off shoots/traps with 100% crit chance and you maintain that 100% until they actually hit something. A lot of more 1second in most scenarios.

I find it useful even at 70+crit chance, the damage burst allows me to burst down mp3 elite pack to 1/2 their hp at least, squishy ones like those skeleton archers could even be one shot, using spike trap - echoing plus any primary. And every second I'm not attacking, it's more power to me.

With the speed farming strafe build I'm using right now, it's utterly useless, as I'm always hitting something, so it's probably only 6% crit chance for me at best most of the time.
Edited by izanami#1553 on 12/8/2012 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
I apologize too because I did think you were directing that to me since you quoted my post, but anyway. In my original post I didn't say there is no usages for sharpshooter, if you like front loading damage skills I think sharpshooter is a pretty good passive to take. Using a cluster bomb with a guaranteed or close to guaranteed critical hit is nice, especially against elites. However if this isn't your build I really don't know how it could be practical. This game first and foremost is about gear and there are a few pieces of non-legendary gear slots that naturally only roll crit chance (helm and bracers), so naturally even through random drops your CC is going to improve a heck of a lot faster than other gear DPS bonuses. Not to mention CC is some of the strongest at improving natural DPs. It doesn't seem practical to ignore CC, keep SS and stack AS and CD.

Like I said I also don't think it's practical to continue using sharpshooter unless you use front-end damage skills like cluster bomb or spike trap where you get massive damage bonuses on the first attack. I will sit here and tell you there are probably very good players who use SS and don't meet any of the criteria on why I wouldn't use it, but there are also good Dan players in Street Fighter.

Crit chance isn't natural dps. Main stat, attack speed, weapon damage, and min/max average, are all natural dps. When you aren't critting you're using your natural dps, and when you crit it's your crit damage combined with your natural damage.

Reason why I'm clarifying this is because there are attacks that don't even make use of crit or crit damage at all. The Sentry and Jagged Spikes are two notable ones, that scale with your natural damage. So, while your sheet dps could get lower due to dropping crit damage or crit chance in favor of dex, weapon damage, and min/max average, your effective dps would still increase if you're using skills like those.

Which is why, with passives like Sharpshooter, it isn't about what it makes your sheet dps do with the bloat and the drop off. It's all about your effective dps, and your effective dps is going to vary depending on what type of player you are. As an example, Two players could be sharing the same character on the same account, and one player could have much more effective dps than the other.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/8/2012 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/08/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Alucardrx
I can understand a newbie DH using it since he/she lacks knowledge of the class like we did in the past, but a veteran player using it now is just a helpless noob.

LOL you're a funny person, because you've no idea what you're talking about!

I've been playing since June 2nd and I qualify as a veteran player. . . And I still use Sharp Shooter, not to make my DPS look huge, because I know DPS is an Inaccurate representation of your actual Damage Per Hit. DPS doesn't calculate damage multiplier gear i.e. SoJ, and some others.

You think you're "PrO" because you don't use Sharp Shooter?

Where's your gear anyway? Why are you sporting some Gold Find gear? ROFL! Tip for you my friend, you ain't gonna get rich with Gold Find gear, unless you're a Botter! Better switch to MF gear or just Level Up your Paragon fast.

P.S.
Please explain to us why someone is a Helples Noob just because they use Sharp Shooter? And I'll show you what kind of "Helpless Noob" I am, I use Sharp Shooter see =P

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaceAltair-2678/

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Edited by JaceAltair#2678 on 12/8/2012 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
lol....

Tip: that "gold find" gear isn't my main one, i spent 1.5mil to test it on inferno since i got bored in a while.

Anyway, SS is a noob passive nowadays. Whatever you build is, gearing CC+CD items is far superior.

The cluster arrow+ slow attack xbow without IAS build is also something at the past. It is not as efficient as IAS+CC+CD. Not even close for inferno farming.

Spoken like a player that seems to think that everyone plays the exact same way, for the exact same reasons as you do.

If your main concern is only of efficiency in finding the BiS items and nothing else, then you aren't playing to win as a DH anyway and should be playing a WW/DT Barb, using your wallet, or idling on the AH to flip and snipe items instead of enjoying the combat.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/8/2012 6:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
lol....

Tip: that "gold find" gear isn't my main one, i spent 1.5mil to test it on inferno since i got bored in a while.

Anyway, SS is a noob passive nowadays. Whatever you build is, gearing CC+CD items is far superior.

The cluster arrow+ slow attack xbow without IAS build is also something at the past. It is not as efficient as IAS+CC+CD. Not even close for inferno farming.

Yeah yeah Sure. . .

So what makes you PRO because you don't use Sharp Shooter? Because you got Lucky and made Billions of Gold and got all BiS items? Or you're pro because you're Dual Wielding Credit Cards? LOL! Hmmm?

Oh yeah here's a Noobs Build with Sharp Shooter;

Mp3 Elites in 5 Seconds;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KF1kWOfvuI&feature=g-crec-u

Mp3 Elites in 5-10 Seconds;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sRqECU-EQU&feature=g-crec-u

Mp3 Vota;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6mEnntLY7I&feature=g-crec-u

500-600K Crits easy, highest I've done is 890K, and that's with using 1H Bows, wait till I get a Manticore with upto 1300Damage and I'll show you 1M with each Frost Arrow shot. . .

Tell me again how Veteran Players who use Sharp Shooter are Helpless Noobs? HMM?

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaceAltair-2678/

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Reply Quote
12/07/2012 11:39 AMPosted by DarkInvalid
SS is a low level skill as is smoke screen.
qft!
Reply Quote
GUISE!

I don't know anything about this mathcraft of 30% cc making SS useless, but check this unusual Custom Engineering build I made:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nephalem-1802/hero/17099065

Skill build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#dkghYR!UeT!cZYbbb

225k REAL DPS with average gear, since:

Sentries, Companion, Traps and Trail of Fire do NOT reset Sharpshooter.

This build can make wonders for people with low budgets. I've tested it without the Legacy Nat's and it works almost as good, but with a little more resource managing.

With top gear, I imagine this build can still be very competitive against the other (cookie cutter) builds.
Edited by nephalem#1802 on 12/8/2012 6:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
GUISE!

I don't know anything about this mathcraft of 30% cc making SS useless, but check this unusual Custom Engineering build I made:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/nephalem-1802/hero/17099065

Skill build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#dkghYR!UeT!cZYbbb

225k REAL DPS with average gear, since:

Sentries, Companion, Traps and Trail of Fire do NOT reset Sharpshooter.

This build can make wonders for people with low budgets. I've tested it without the Legacy Nat's and it works almost as good, but with a little more resource managing.

With top gear, I imagine this build can still be very competitive against the other (cookie cutter) builds.

Sentry, Jagged Spikes, and Companions don't crit, so it isn't making use of crit damage or crit chance. However, I think Trail of Cinders still works off the snapshot and also doesn't reset Sharpshooter.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/8/2012 6:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
It's only 'good' if this is the first week you are playing D3.
Reply Quote
lol....

Yeah yeah Sure. . .

So what makes you PRO because you don't use Sharp Shooter? Because you got Lucky and made Billions of Gold and got all BiS items? Or you're pro because you're Dual Wielding Credit Cards? LOL! Hmmm?...

Look at that someone is mad and jelly

You can keep pretending you are not sad by typing those meaningless 'LOL'

Getting mad over a video game is really really sad.
Reply Quote
There're a lot of long posts in this thread that I'm too lazy to read, so forgive me if this has already been said. It's a PvP passive. It's not all that useful when you're spamming attacks into big clumps of monsters, but in PvP (at least this is how it was in D2, could be totally different in D3) you can go a while without actually getting a hit. If a lot of your attacks aren't hitting it can be pretty useful to crank up the CD and know that when you do get a hit in it's going to crit and it's going to do stupid amounts of damage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]