Diablo® III

Is Sharpshooter worth using?

Not worth it

When you think about it, the only shot you're going to get off with the highest dps is the first one..

All the other shots will have an unbuffed dmg rate

LoL what are you talking about? Sharp Shooter only Increases Critical Hit Chance not Critical Hit Damage LOL!

Your actual damage per Hit when you get a Critical depends on your Dexterity, Weapon, AvgDmg Jewelries, Critical Hit Damage, Skill you are using and Damage Multiplier Gear or Skills i.e. Steady Aim/Stone of Jordan. . . your actual Damage per Crit will not increase through CC or IAS, learn the difference.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, and it's even more funny because you're using Steady Aim which is a passive that requires you to Kite, then you've got Sentry with Aid Station that requires you to stand still if you want to get the bonus of the Rune LOL!

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaceAltair-2678/

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Reply Quote
Why are you Demon Hunters Fighting with each other?
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 02:38 PMPosted by KillSwitch
Why are you Demon Hunters Fighting with each other?

We're not fighting my fellow Demon Hunter, we're discussing our differences =)

It's just funny that most Demon Hunters think Sharp Shooter is a worthless skill just because They got "High CC" but hasn't balanced they're CD or Dex+AvgDmg making them deal even lower damage than someone who uses SS, or they don't understand how the skill works or how it Synergizes with some Skill Setups or Gear Setups, because they don't understand what Damage Per Second(DPS) mean ;)

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server

Reply Quote
I'm glad majority of the people don't use it tho. Just like how awesome is Dashing Strike from Monk. It makes my monk unique when I use the skill to its limit. This game lacks uniqueness, it's good to use things that most people don't and be proud of myself :P

"Fight fire with fire!" that's what the demon hunters here are doing right now lol.
Reply Quote
I haven't kept up with this thread, however I did say early on that beyond about 30-35% crit chance you won't see as much return with sharpshooter, and in practice this is generally true. I won't try to deny the additional benefits given to you by sharpshooter when used properly. However, please keep this in mind. Your average DH is going to be running 1.5-2.5 APS, with approximately 30-40% crit chance. To lowball this, over 2 seconds you are getting off 3 shots (1.5aps). Of those 3 shots, chances are that 1 of them will crit, sharpshooter makes this ever more likely as time goes on. Based on AoE of most DH skills, and APS, you are looking at a minimal gain in combat.

You are completely correct is saying it will give a huge edge between combat and honestly if you can keep up a pattern of hit hard and fast early against packs of mobs and move on to the next then you have found a way to very effectively use sharpshooter.

As I said, yes, it's even better when you fight distancts pack of mobs ( as in, elite packs ) so you start the fight around 100%.

But even for a 'static' fight ( say, uber bosses ), sharpshooter makes a huge difference, even at 30% crit chance.

If you do not believe this, please, just count it.
It won't take you more than a few minutes and you'll completely change your mind about sharpshooter.

It's (obviously) even better when you have low crit chance ( which might be what gave the skill the 'nooby' reputation ), and its effectiveness decreases when you up your crit chance...
But you'd need WAY higher than 30% to make it useless/bad.

For the records, pretty much everyone who use culling the weak or steady aim but doesn't use sharpshooter, is straight up losing tons of DPS. Everyone but the toppest of the top higher crit chance.
Edited by blood#1783 on 12/9/2012 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
This thread is the epitome of a theory-crafting ridden junkpile so commonly encountered on Bnet forums.

Seriously, if SS was the most optimal way to play, then you would see it on the majority of top-level DHs. Simple fact of the matter is, YOU DON'T. Think of it this way: Let's say there's a style of rifle shooting common among many first time shooters. Let's say it makes things easier for them -- great. However, let's say that when you look at the top level shooters in the world, say, the ones who compete in shooting events etc, that NONE of them still employ this style/habit at their level.

Logically, one can infer that the "style" is no longer optimal provided better understanding/more experience/better X. This is a really crude analogy, but all I intend for it to say is that if Sharpshooter was actually an optimal skill at higher levels of play, you would necessarily see it being used at higher levels of play. Am I supposed to believe that top level DH don't run Sharpshooter because they think it wouldn't be fair to use...? That's insanity. They drop sharshooter in favor of other passives BECAUSE IT IS MORE OPTIMAL TO DO SO AT HIGHER LEVELS OF PLAY.

If you'd like to continue arguing, please address that stark fact -- that top level DH *do not* use Sharpshooter.
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 12/9/2012 3:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Alesso
the majority of top-level DHs

top level shooters in the world,

higher levels of play

higher levels of play

top level DH

HIGHER LEVELS OF PLAY.

fact -- that top level DH *do not* use Sharpshooter.

LoL! Look at this Dolt and listen to him talk, "High Level". . . "Top DH". . . "Top Level DH" LOL???

What's a High Level DH? What's a Top DH? What's Top Level!? You talk like some Elitist RMAH Jerk. . . yes that's how you talk, being Top Level doesn't mean you have the best High CC Gear, being Top Level to me means you know how to play and you know what builds work, I've seen some People with "TOP GEAR" and yet dies a lot compared to others who have far inferior gear than they have, because those other people know how to play right. Seriously you have no idea, you are the epitome of an Elitist Noob who have no idea what he's talking about.

Topic Question; is Sharp Shooter Worth Using; Answer YES.

Because not everyone has 50-60% CC, not everyone are Wallet Warriors *cough* and not all Build and Setups just uses 3 Passives(Archery,SteadyAim,Perfectionist). . . and as a lot of people have already said it on this thread, Sharp Shooter works well with some Builds and Gear Setups.

If you'd like to continue arguing, please stop saying "Top Level DH" blah blah blah, fact not all of them are good and they just bought their gear on RMAH.

JaceAltair EU Server

Edited by JaceAltair#2678 on 12/9/2012 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
It works well when you have impale, and rely on dodging. But helps having a high base crit chance too.
Reply Quote
@Jace

Lol. You just don't get it. The argument "they used money" is utterly irrelevant. I am not here to argue about whether buying gear or grinding gear is more 'pro' -- that's absurd and I don't personally care. I'm using "top level" in the literal sense -- not some grandiose subjective sense that includes how a player got to his level of gear, how much time he spent, how much money he spent, etc -- that's ridiculous.

To be blunt, there is no true skill in this game. Let's clear that up right now. K. Got it. Moving forward: No *TOP LEVEL GEARED* players use ShSh -- if it was optimal to do so they necessarily would. See that emboldened text? That is my thesis statement. I've asked you to explain to me why no top-level (re: best gear/builds/killing speed/uber-ability) DHs use ShSh at their level of gear/play -- you've utterly avoided that, and instead bogged yourself down on utterly laughable and meaningless tangents with regard to the use of the term "pro" and "top".

You seriously are making yourself look like a fool by siidestepping the actual argument in order to impose your own fixation on the use of the words "pro" and "top level". Avoiding the brunt of an argument and focusing on side issues is a sure sign the debater has not a clue what he should actually say in response to the argument presented.
Edited by Alesso#1854 on 12/9/2012 4:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Alesso

No you're the one who don't get it. . . let me repeat the Thread Title To you because you seem to be BLIND.

Is Sharp Shooter Worth Using; YES it is worth Using.

You talk about Demon Hutners on the "TOP LEVEL" who this guy?

http://tw.battle.net/d3/zh/profile/%EC%82%98%EB%A6%B4%EB%A6%AC-3696/hero/3138997

Well that guy has like 100K Elite Kills and it's quite possible he got everything Legit. . .

But these guys??
http://tw.battle.net/d3/zh/profile/xxywcx-3650/hero/20349825
http://tw.battle.net/d3/zh/profile/LON-3129/hero/15659195
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/greenwolf-2449/hero/14331750

12K, 27K and 39K Elite Kills and their gear are seriously top of the line. . . are they your TOP DH because they don't use Sharp Shooter? Well they've got more than enough CC to use their Cookie Cutter builds. . .

But you seriously think everyone can have those kind of gear? Well I've news for you mister, :NO: not everyone will have them playing Legit, it will take a very long time or a Tremendous amount of Luck!

And as you've been clearly ignoring somethings, like Builds that works Well with Sharp Shooter like Cluster Arrow build, it depends on playstyle, and there is some gear that works very good with Sharp Shooter too.

So you see? Your argument is stupid, just because the "TOP LEVEL DH" doesn't use it doesn't mean it's a worthless skill, so again to answer the Topic Title; YES it's definitely Worth Using!

JaceAltair EU Server

Reply Quote
Facepalm, lol. My argument is not that it's useless. It's that it is useless at top levels of gear/play/etc. I stated this in my very first post here -- epic fail on your behalf for attempting to setup a strawman. That ShSh isn't optimal at highest level/gear is necessarily proven by the fact that among top geared/level/etc DH there is almost no use of ShSh.

My argument was never that it's useless, period. It has always been extremely simple, and you have to this moment utterly failed to attack it rationally:
ShSh is only useful at lower levels of gear/play -- as gear/play improves, ShSh use diminishes, necessarily proving that ShSh is not an optimal skill provided with ultra gear/level.

Moreover, adding all this formatting fluff doesn't strengthen your argument. I'm convinced it's actually confusing you, because you've failed so hard to follow my very simple argument to this point, and have not made any real progress toward disproving it.

:/

Eagerly awaiting your next reply lol, I'm sure it will continue to fail at addressing my argument.
Reply Quote
@Alesso

I gave up a few pages back. I argued exactly the same points as you and he keeps going back to that same 'how you got your gear' argument. I'm pretty sure he's ESL, slow or both.
Reply Quote
Sharpshooter is great as a dps booster under 45-50% crit chance once you hit that mark it is not that much of a dps boost and pretty useless unless you use it with cluster arrows and still burst kite with spike traps or caltraps which means your running 1.03 glass cannon dh build which is now horrible for farming anything above mp2.

*PROTIP: Everyone says use ball lightning... Instead try switching out ball lightning with frost arrow and use the scoundrel with a Buriza with high freeze/piece% and use cull of the weak passive instead of sharpshooter... The constant slowing and freezing you will always get a 15% damage boost with cull of the weak reguardless of range which makes it great for tanking and that lets you swap out steady aim if wanted for more survivability for either perfectionist or night stalker for higher level mp farming. 15% damage boost always much greater boost than Sharpshooter could ever give you... Also works great with CALTAPS - jagged spikes, etc.
Edited by D3athStrik3#1951 on 12/9/2012 5:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
I haven't played diablo 3 for a few weeks due to the fact the economy went to !@#$, but after 1.05 especially, if you can't gear for 40+ crit chance, you aren't gearing correctly. Sharpshooter has been useless since day one and with some common sense anyone could figure that out.
Reply Quote
it's obvious SS has it's uses. DH's who can't get their DPS above 100k without SS loves it. and non DH's who play barbs love it. as for the "high-level" DH's, don't bother preaching because 99.9% of the "low-level" DH's won't listen but will eventually drop it when they get better gear. :)
Reply Quote
Jace, you're a joke and everyone knows you're a joke. I saw your little video and you burned your Sharpshooter passive on the first shot. It was EXACTLY as I said. Once you fire off your first arrow, it splits up, so that shot, and the split to the mobs behind it, all crits, THEN Sharpshooter is reset. Everything else after that was your natural CC/CD and Dex. If you had more CC you don't even need Sharpshooter which is what everyone's saying here. That build is AWFUL for Sharpshooter and NOBODY in this thread thinks that's a good build or would ever use Sharpshooter with that build. Failure of a DH. Don't make me make a video on Sharpshooter because I'll make you look bad.

About me being right/wrong. I'm most of the time right, and NEVER, not even ONCE, have you proven me wrong. Most of the things that I post on the forums are not disputed because they are in line with what everyone else thinks, and if it is something new that I'm posting, most people don't put it down and say that I'm wrong. Go ahead, you can look up my posts and try to dispute one of them. I bet you'll have a very hard time finding one point you can actually prove correct.

But anyways, you should do yourself a favor and go back to the EU forums.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 12/9/2012 5:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
it's obvious SS has it's uses. DH's who can't get their DPS above 100k without SS loves it. and non DH's who play barbs love it. as for the "high-level" DH's, don't bother preaching because 99.9% of the "low-level" DH's won't listen but will eventually drop it when they get better gear. :)

Lol. Too true... Too true.
Reply Quote
Jace, you're a joke and everyone knows you're a joke. I saw your little video and you burned your Sharpshooter passive on the first shot. It was EXACTLY as I said. Once you fire off your first arrow, it splits up, so that shot, and the split to the mobs behind it, all crits, THEN Sharpshooter is reset. Everything else after that was your natural CC/CD and Dex. If you had more CC you don't even need Sharpshooter which is what everyone's saying here. That build is AWFUL for Sharpshooter and NOBODY in this thread thinks that's a good build or would ever use Sharpshooter with that build. Failure of a DH. Don't make me make a video on Sharpshooter because I'll make you look bad.

About me being right/wrong. I'm most of the time right, and NEVER, not even ONCE, have you proven me wrong. Most of the things that I post on the forums are not disputed because they are in line with what everyone else thinks, and if it is something new that I'm posting, most people don't put it down and say that I'm wrong. Go ahead, you can look up my posts and try to dispute one of them. I bet you'll have a very hard time finding one point you can actually prove correct.

But anyways, you should do yourself a favor and go back to the EU forums.

LOL? Hahaha funny person you are "Mr. Know It All" Speedforce. . . people like you don't understand how good Sharp Shooter is =)

Especially on higher MP Levels where you will "Kite Mobs", move away from Arcane, Frozen, Walls, Mortars wait to fire when Elites are Shielded, wait for Copperfang Lurkers to resurface or position your self where you can fire and hit the most amount of damage to a group of Elites, those 2-4 seconds of you repositioning yourself and kiting means 6-12% Additional CC, not to mention the time you spend running from one Group of Monsters/Elite to another, but sadly you don't understand how to fight Elites and play the game right xD

So sad really, and if you're so good, go ahead!! Make a video of you doing 500-800K Damage on Elites, please make me look bad my good sir! Go make a video of you Bursting down Elites in MP3 within 5 Seconds! Like this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KF1kWOfvuI&feature=g-crec-u
I dare you!

Tsk tsk tsk. . . so sad you are "Mr. Know It All" Speedforce, sadly you are the Joke Here. Bet you didn't think about those factors when playing huh?? =D

So there you go you're WRONG.

P.S.
Yeah I've proven you wrong several times already, one on that number of Elites Killed per hour
here on this Post;
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200081614?page=1#17

And I'll be waiting of a video of you farming Vota MP3-5 make me LOOK bad Oh Please xD

JaceAltair EU Server

Edited by JaceAltair#2678 on 12/9/2012 6:01 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]