Diablo® III

Is Sharpshooter worth using?

it's obvious SS has it's uses. DH's who can't get their DPS above 100k without SS loves it. and non DH's who play barbs love it. as for the "high-level" DH's, don't bother preaching because 99.9% of the "low-level" DH's won't listen but will eventually drop it when they get better gear. :)

This may be off-topic but before some barb wrote up a guide about how to spin the barb in circles, majority of the "top players" barbs don't spin. The next wave I would predict to be is that Monks are going to "blink" and move like a god. But hopefully the "top players" aren't going to figure out how to use it. So, whoever know what I'm talking about, let's keep it as a little secret and enjoy the diversity... as if there's really any diversity in this game.
Reply Quote
Jace

you are starting to sound like a fool. It's obvious that you havent played higher MP levels (7+). I watched your vid and bragging about killing MP3 elites in 5 seconds is not all that remarkable.
Reply Quote
Jace

you are starting to sound like a fool. It's obvious that you havent played higher MP levels (7+). I watched your vid and bragging about killing MP3 elites in 5 seconds is not all that remarkable.

Oh I'm playing MP5 Right now, can do MP6-10 with this particular Build too, requires Kiting you see, you have to take a break from Shooting at your enemies, especially against Waller or Shielding and let's not forget Extra Health+Reflect Damage, you're gonna pause and wait, hence Sharp Shooter = WIN. Tell me that ain't true, and I will brand you a fool who doesn't listen to reason =P

Althouth I prefer the Stun Grenades build better on MP7-10 because I just have to stand still, I don't use Sharp Shooter with that build though.

And I'm not bragging I can kill Elites in Mp3 in less than 5 seconds, just look at it this way. . . it's like a Pocket Watch, I don't pull it out of my pocket just to show you I have one, I take it out to show you the time because you asked me what time it is, good enough comparison you think?

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/JaceAltair-2678/

DH Stun Build Trolling Elites and Ubers on MP10
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178978741#1
Edited by JaceAltair#2678 on 12/9/2012 6:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Jace is awesome. I think sharpshooter is very good even if it's not the best passive.

If you can kill mp3 elites in 5 seconds with cheaper gears because of sharpshooter, what are you losing? Furthermore in higher mp, tanking dh works far better than any build due to the longevity and consistency.

The 'pros' can refuse to use sharpshooter all they want, but don't bully those who are using.
If a guy with sharpshooter hits 800k dps, you think he's still weaker than those with 100k dps?
Actually, imo, if everyone think ShSh is only good for beginner level, why don't they think it this way. You purposefully geared as everyone else but with the intention got playing in very high mp. You can because it works for lower, and the skill can be brought up to higher.

Impale - GW works with slow attack speed.
DW - can have up to 400% crit dmg from wpn alone, faster attack speed, the crit will reset after 1sec. If you have like 2 atk/s, you'll have 2x 100% crit right from start.

Players see that above 50% chc, the difference isn't great compared to other passive due to the fact they are already almost crit-ing every hit.
HOWEVER, since your base crit chance is high, the time taken to reach perfect chance is shorter, coupled with fast attacking, you're hitting on your crit dmg most of the them, and this Don't Reflect in your paper DPS and diablo progress.
More over, you conserve your disc on smokescreen/shadow power when you only use them when DPSing, for this case which is burst. Gloom once every 10 sec definitely requires less disc for permanent gloom.

Can anyone sum up the calculations for SS since I see bits here and everywhere. Better if anyone can provide the average hp of monsters in each level.

I'm thinking of how much damage at least for the first strike I'll need on multishot - broadside for a instant kill. Its much simpler and fun to play when you kill them in one hit, and id loot while waiting for ss to pick up.
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 12/9/2012 6:52 PM PST
Reply Quote

Oh I'm playing MP5 Right now, can do MP6-10 with this particular Build too, requires Kiting you see, you have to take a break from Shooting at your enemies, especially against Waller or Shielding and let's not forget Extra Health+Reflect Damage, you're gonna pause and wait, hence Sharp Shooter = WIN. Tell me that ain't true, and I will brand you a fool who doesn't listen to reason =P

Althouth I prefer the Stun Grenades build better on MP7-10 because I just have to stand still, I don't use Sharp Shooter with that build though.

lol. The fact that you prefer a build that doesnt use sharpshooter for higher mp levels just proves my point and pretty much what others have been saying in this thread. There is a reason why higher geared DH don't use sharpshooter.
Reply Quote
I'd really like the strong supporters of SS to look at the math. Yes, I won't deny that in a period of inactivity your CC will build up to a point where you will guarantee a critical hit. That's nice, but then once you get into combat the effect of SS changes. Jace, for example, will have his critical hits based on his buffed CC (which is 38.5%). Without adding the effect of SS, he should crit every 3 shots or sooner. With is attack speed of 2.25/s, that means it should take less than 2 seconds for the SS timer to reset. Since SS gives you 3% CC every second, that means he will gain, at best, 3% CC from SS in active combat. While that is worth something, I argue that it's a less effective passive for someone with that CC. If you have lower CC, the effect is better and quite possibly one of the best passives you could use. Based purely on facts, I don't know how this can be disputed. If you just like using it, that's a different story, but that's not really what this discussion is about.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Monsta
lol. The fact that you prefer a build that doesnt use sharpshooter for higher mp levels just proves my point and pretty much what others have been saying in this thread. There is a reason why higher geared DH don't use sharpshooter.

LoL

:NO:

You didn't prove any point, the only reason why I prefer the Stun build I use on higher MP's is because it's Tanky and I don't have to Kite a Million miles because of the amount of HP the monsters have, I just have to hold my Left Click button and stand still and kill elites. But in terms of Damage Output, the Frost Arrow build I'm using that incorporates Sharp Shooter deals more damage.

Just wait till I acquire a 1300DPS 2Soc Manticore, it's coming Soon™, just a few hundred Million, I'll show why Sharp Shooter is awesome =P

__________________________________________________________________________________
JaceAltair EU Server

Reply Quote
I feel that in certain gear sets with the right skill set that SS will still be viable even with better gear. For instance, my personal goal for my DH is to have him be a Heavy artillery style. So I'll focus on gears that have a high increase on Crit Damage, like Manticore(as soon as I stop being poor), and the Witching hour. Now if I can find a decent trifecta Nats ring, and a Dex/Crit Mempo, than maybe I'll switch SS off. With the skills that I use though and my overall plan for my personal DH, SS is viable. Making the argument against SS, the faster hitting 1h xbox builds suffer from little to no bonus from SS, simply because their attack speed combined with their natural Crit chance mean that they don't need SS because they crit so often, making something like perfectionist or nightstalker or even tactical advantage more appealing. Looking at all the posts, I feel that this is the general consensus, SS is good for slower, high crit damage focused builds, but becomes negated as you gain IAS/CC in gear setup.
Edited by hellgate09#1179 on 12/9/2012 8:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sharpshooter is something that can be useful as an undergeared lvl 60, but you grow out of it once you get crit chance from gear.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Giggler
Sharpshooter is something that can be useful as an undergeared lvl 60, but you grow out of it once you get crit chance from gear.

Why is this only useful for undergeared and will grow out of it?

Crit chance affix is one of the primary source which drive the price of gear sky high due to increasing dmg on paper. You can always opt to gear for pure crit damage, and survival for sharpshooter and you'll still do well in higher difficulty.

Plus, how much do you think you'll need to one shot elites in high mp without sharpshooter?
If I can do so without spending allot, it is definitely the place to go. Who else have the 'choice' of having sharpshooter btw, it's like one of the kind passive with relation to dps.
All others (other class included) are flat increase, to me is kinda boring, and takes no extra skill to 'play around' with.
Reply Quote
I definitely didn't read this entire thread, but I'll give a brief thought. I ran with SS for a long time coupled with ball lightning. If you don't have a lot of movement speed, getting up to 100% prior to meeting a group can be devastating. I'd get up to 100% then stand a screen or so away and shoot off about 10 BL. It seems that each of those shot before the 1 second after the first one hits all have 100% crit, so all ten of them will fly through a decent group with every one hitting multiple mobs multiple times all as crits. As I got tired of moving so slow, I eventually gave it up for a strafe build with some speed, but it worked well for those situations. Just my two cents.
Reply Quote
View profile
Why is this thread still going on?

Sharpshooter is a passive that's worth using if you want some crits, and want to front load your damage. Once you get the crit chance where you want it, with your gear, you'll want to use passives that give you benefits your runes and gear can't provide for a well balanced character.

Since the player base thrives on common builds and gearing the exact same way, currently, with a huge emphasis on a lot of crit chance, Sharpshooter has lot its flavor and isn't needed when players are gearing a certain way. It provided that, but players are getting it from their gear instead(with sustain), so the passive isn't necessary for them.

If legacy Nat's was still able to drop for example, and the player base wore it majority, Nightstalker wouldn't be necessary(just like Preparation - Focused Mind or Backup Plan wouldnt be) for players that wanted the discipline(because the legacy Nat's set provided sufficient regen). It wouldn't mean that a player using Nightstalker was a scrub or a noob, because all the "top"(lol) DH's weren't using it(as they would hypothetically be using legacy Nat's).

It's pretty obvious. This thread shouldn't have went on as long as it has, but when people start throwing around words like "Pro" it just becomes hilarious.

You skill spec with runes and change passives, to complement your equipment or lack of it in a particular area you want for your build and playing style. It's not about somebody being pro or being a noob -> That's stupid as hell.

We ALL play this game our own way, and for different reasons. Instead of people telling others that Sharpshooter isn't worth using... instead, tell them ways Sharpshooter CAN be useful, and then leave it up to that particular player on if they want make use of the passive or not.

tl:dr: Hardcore is better anyway.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 12/9/2012 9:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
very depending on play style, 2 OS manticore, pet+sentry+heavy kite+3 shots bola w/ emminint doom rune+2 shots cluster bomb is perfect to use SS.
if u spam element arrow, multi shot, rapid fire or primary atk, don't bother.
if Blizz give us some primary atk that do not trigger crit, then SS will be more useful.

it is works well as, meeting gift and pray it's not an RD pack
Edited by batang#6346 on 12/9/2012 10:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 09:53 PMPosted by sketch2002
I'd get up to 100% then stand a screen or so away and shoot off about 10 BL. It seems that each of those shot before the 1 second after the first one hits all have 100% crit, so all ten of them will fly through a decent group with every one hitting multiple mobs multiple times all as crits.

Ah someone already said it, LOL!

I was saving this one particular piece of information, I didn't want to give out all the mechanics that makes Sharp Shooter good, and holding out for people who would argue that high IAS or Dual Wielding 1HBows is not good for Sharp Shooter xD, yes that is true, when you fire 3-5 Shots in a matter of seconds, before they hit the target their Critical Chance will be where your current CC is coming from Sharp Shooter. But alas you've said it my friend.

JaceAltair EU Server

Reply Quote
Why is this thread still going on?

It's pretty obvious. This thread shouldn't have went on as long as it has, but when people start throwing around words like "Pro" it just becomes hilarious.

You skill spec with runes and change passives, to complement your equipment or lack of it in a particular area you want for your build and playing style. It's not about somebody being pro or being a noob -> That's stupid as hell.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. funny as hell when ppl calling others 'noob' and themselves pro because they don't use sharpshooter. How bout getting 100k dps without crit chance at all?

@Jace, i mentioned after fast atk spd for sharpshooter in my earlier comment too. lol, ShSh for the win.
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 12/9/2012 10:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
This was the reason sharpshooter was used with nether tenticles and caltraps-jagged spikes before they were nerfed to second class skills for glass cannon dh pre 1.03 where dh were the only classes as glass cannons running act 3 speed clears...

This has been known already almost since game inception people are fast to forget becuase they love bandwangons...

Currently in this version of the game sharpshooter has lost most if not all of its luster unless you still rely on kite mechanics playing your dh, which becomes less useful the higher mp you farm and almost completely useless in high mp7-10 levels the only exceptions being:

1) Lack of gear and the ease of gearing without buying crit on items and using SS as compensation.
2) Very specific builds like: Nether tentacles "useless after its nerf", Ball lightning, Cluster Arrow, and Spike Trap Kitting builds...
Edited by D3athStrik3#1951 on 12/9/2012 10:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
You are wrong, Sharp Shooter in PVP is Priceless
Reply Quote
Contrary to popular belief, your current crit chance does not affect the usefulness of SS. However, your attack speed, damage and crit damage does. (most)Skills do not use your paper DPS, only thing matters for SS is the 1second after your crit hit. Low crit chance does not have an edge over high crit chance. Slow approaching skills like spike trap and ball lightning take huge advantage of SS, as you will be firing off shoots/traps with 100% crit chance and you maintain that 100% until they actually hit something. A lot of more 1second in most scenarios.

I've spent the past few days testing this theory...

..and its true. With my gear and sharpshooter and nightstalker, I can kill elite groups in 1 second guaranteed with 100% crit chance and vault to the next group. Sharpshooter in top gear is extremely efficient.
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/9/2012 11:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
using it with ball lightning gives you amazing crits if you are far away. I can get off 10 shots that will all crit and since each one hits 2-3 times its totally worth it. Even when it resets, the shots that are already fired dont lose the cc % from when they were shot. Then by the time I am at the next mob I'm at 100% again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]