Diablo® III

Is Sharpshooter worth using?

Aww, I got this feeling that the sharpshooter bandwagon is starting up.

Bottomline, 3% crit chance bonus + 100% crit chance on fight start is never bad.

1. Try getting a quick hand crossbow + a 20% atk spd dml or hbow offhand.
2. Start practicing firing ball lightning from afar with steady aim.
3. Blow everything up, and take your pleasure in looting, id while your shsh build back up.
4. Ignore the names calling and don't worry about having TA as your passive.
Reply Quote
I think the real argument comes down to how much gold you have and or are willing to spend on a decent CC build as apposed to a good SS build. I my self use a SS build and enjoy it. Currently I'm at 92k-410k SS build. I don't see a lot of difference if I switch to my CC gear besides a huge drop off in top end. Yes my bottom/total DPS would be a bit higher but I would not have that initial shot with Multi that just clears rooms and or puts a huge hurt on mobs.

My skill set is not what most people would use but they work for me and I enjoy playing with them and I think thats all anyone should take into consideration when selecting their skill sets. Not some random people in game forms telling them they are wrong for their choices because all the "Pros" use this particular set of skills and not your set of skills.
Reply Quote
I only wish I could have such gear, but according to my calculations, with perfect Increased Damage on Critical, Sharp Shooter offers better average damage increase than Cull the Weak and about the same as Steady Aim (higher if you wait 2 seconds). The question is, is this gear, used to get max crit damage good gear? If yes, then everyone should use sharp shooter just for the +3% crit chance alone.. If not, then everyone should still use Sharp Shooter until they can get gear that is better than highest crit damage gear (if that exists, I'm not rich yet so I've no clue, I'm good at math, but I don't have all the DH items memorized yet). Any thoughts on if max increased crit damage gear (and also add to crit chance with same gear if possible) is any good or not?
Reply Quote
It was nice when the game was new and ppl didn't have gear...

Stacking a insane bunch of Nether Tentacles and when they hit they all crit.. That was the !@#$. Yeah it's not that usable nowadays.
Reply Quote
If yes, then everyone should use sharp shooter just for the +3% crit chance alone..
If not, then everyone should still use Sharp Shooter until they can get gear that is better than highest crit damage gear

At one point in time, some one release a guide explaining sharpshooter is not real, fake dps and there's another point in time where allot of DH quits and try to market their char by saying 200k dps UNBUFFED or something like that. And I heard that Athene, the infamous twitch-er purposely created a 800k dps from sharpshooter. This cause the divide between ShSh user and anti-shsh.

From the above points, people have the idea that by using sharpshooter to artificially boost your dps is cheating and refrain from using. The comes the pro wannabe and start calling ppl noobs for using sharpshooter in this point in time while not even sure how it works or the breaking point of the damage advantage it actually gave.

I don't understand what you're talking about with regards to gear. Care to break it down further? From weapons, you can get Manticore with 300% crit dmg, or dual wielding Calamity and Danetta's Spite for 400% crit dmg potential. Belt you can have witching hour for atk spd and 50% crit dmg. Ammy can gives your up to 100% crit dmg, rings 50% each, and last but not least gloves with 50%. Additionally, you can get another 50% from the adventure set bonus (Traveller's pledge + Compass Rose). If these are the gears information you're looking for.
Reply Quote
It was nice when the game was new and ppl didn't have gear...

Stacking a insane bunch of Nether Tentacles and when they hit they all crit.. That was the !@#$. Yeah it's not that usable nowadays.

Sadly, ToC, pets and my sentries no longer can make use of sharpshooter, and of course nether tentacles. DH was my 3rd character so I wasn't leveled as high before the nerf hammer dropped.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Alesso
Seriously, if SS was the most optimal way to play, then you would see it on the majority of top-level DHs.

Assuming 'Top level DH's' were also 'Top level mathematicians'.

Ok, some people on these forums argue about how this skill is more usefull because it allows them to use (wtv discipline skill) 24/7, or how that other skill is more usefull because it boosts their resists, and so on.
I don't have anything to argue against these guys. Yes, other skills are usefull.

But some people are actually trying to argue against Sharpshooter on a mathematic level ( i.e. "Sharpshooter is bad because at X% crit chance it doesn't increase my DPS a lot ) and it's !@#$ing obvious they can't add past 12+12.

I know some players optimally shouldn't use sharpshooter. If you destroy elite packs in 1 second, it's a waste to take sharpshooter, you should probably just take something to run faster because killing them in 0.5 second won't change anything anyway.

But I've seen tons of people who SHOULD use sharpshooter, but don't, because they don't know how good it is, or they just read 'pro' DH talk about how it was bad and thus assumed it was bad for everyone.

What I'd really like would be, for someone who use culling the weak/steady aim but not sharpshooter, to come forward and say 'I use CTW/SA but no SS because I counted the DPS increase and it was 'X%' - presumably less than CTW'.

But I'm afraid very very very few people actually spend their time counting anything at all. They just go to their class' forums and take whatever is the most frequently called OP build and roll with it.

I mean, do you assume every %^-*ing barb in the game is using the WW build because they figured it was good on their own? let's get real here.

So, if you're using CTW/SA and think SS is bad, I'd like you to tell us all how much more DPS you think SS would give you ( and if you get to <15%, please explain how you figured that out, it should be fun to read ).
Edited by blood#1783 on 12/9/2012 11:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Zelda
using it with ball lightning gives you amazing crits if you are far away. I can get off 10 shots that will all crit and since each one hits 2-3 times its totally worth it. Even when it resets, the shots that are already fired dont lose the cc % from when they were shot. Then by the time I am at the next mob I'm at 100% again.

I was one of the people who called sharpshooter useless for top geared players. I was skeptical so I've tested this.

Sharpshooter, Darkstalker, Tactical Advantage

1.) Get to 800k+ dps (sharpshooter 100%crit 500% crit damage, 2+ attacks per second )
2.) Ball lightning takes 4+ seconds to reach target.
3.) Cast 8+ ball lightnings each with 100% crit that hit multiple times.
4.) Elite dead and your discipline is full thanks to darkstalker. Vault + tactical advantage to next elite.

As you can see the crit chance rewarded from sharpshooter benifits a lot more than 1 hit.

So, with this build you can reword the advantage of sharpshooter to " every elite encounter gives you 24+ guaranteed crits in a row"

It makes the passive look a lot nicer, now doesn't it?
Reply Quote
I was one of the people who called sharpshooter useless for top geared players. I was skeptical so I've tested this.

As you can see the crit chance rewarded from sharpshooter benifits a lot more than 1 hit.

So, with this build you can reword the advantage of sharpshooter to " every elite encounter gives you 24+ guaranteed crits in a row"

It makes the passive look a lot nicer, now doesn't it?

You're on the side for sharpshooter now? =D

Actually I wouldn't go for nightstalker, since you won't need that much disc when you already like one shot those packs. Steady aim for superior damage or vengeance might be better and you can just gear up with pickup radius.
Reply Quote
So, if you're using CTW/SA and think SS is bad, I'd like you to tell us all how much more DPS you think SS would give you ( and if you get to <15%, please explain how you figured that out, it should be fun to read ).

AGREE

at 400% crit dmg, 3% x 400% = 12% a little less than 15%,
but thats the minimal u can get, no draw back, work in any condition, so far the best.
CTW need spesific pair of skill to slow enemy
SA in higher mp lvl, most of the time are surround by enemy makes SA less occour.
both CTW/SA is not 100% happening.
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 12:06 AMPosted by HachiKumo
Actually I wouldn't go for nightstalker, since you won't need that much disc when you already like one shot those packs. Steady aim for superior damage or vengeance might be better and you can just gear up with pickup radius.

The build is for most elites killed per hour. You want the disc for vaulting from elite to elite.

If you have enough dps to kill the elite before the 100% crit chance expires, then steady aim is not needed.
Reply Quote

The build is for most elites killed per hour. You want the disc for vaulting from elite to elite.

If you have enough dps to kill the elite before the 100% crit chance expires, then steady aim is not needed.

Right. If your skipping trash, then your strategy is great. I can suggest some more tips. Try getting a legacy hellcat waist guard for additional disc if not using witch hour for the crit dmg.

Higher disc pool is better for stocking disc and additional disc from nightstalker helps.
Can also use a Inquisitor cloak for movespeed if not using compass rose set or lacuni/inna's temperance.
Ice Climber is several times cheaper than bloody footprint and since you get to use a cheaper alternative by skipping crit chance, you can get your ms from other gears.
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 12/10/2012 12:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
Right. If your skipping trash, then your strategy is great. I can suggest some more tips. Try getting a legacy hellcat waist guard for additional disc if not using witch hour for the crit dmg.

Higher disc pool is better for stocking disc and additional disc from nightstalker helps.
Can also use a Inquisitor cloak for movespeed if not using compass rose set or lacuni/inna's temperance.
Ice Climber is several times cheaper than bloody footprint and since you get to use a cheaper alternative by skipping crit chance, you can get your ms from other gears.

I might sell my bloody footprint for ice climber. lacuni/innas is great. Good luck finding a legacy hellcat with dex and disc on the AH.

Overall good advice for this setup.

Also getting 28% ball lightning damage from mara's kaleidoscope and quiver is an insane dps boost. (like 224k dps boost!!!!)
Edited by Chillaxin#1429 on 12/10/2012 12:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

What I'd really like would be, for someone who use culling the weak/steady aim but not sharpshooter, to come forward and say 'I use CTW/SA but no SS because I counted the DPS increase and it was 'X%' - presumably less than CTW'.

But I'm afraid very very very few people actually spend their time counting anything at all. They just go to their class' forums and take whatever is the most frequently called OP build and roll with it.

One would use Steady Aim over Sharpshooter, if playing as a trap hunter, with emphasis on turrets and jagged spikes doing the damage. The sentry and jagged spikes don't crit but take full advantage of steady aim and custom engineering for a huge gain in eDPS.

I still like sharpshooter though, as a matter of fact, I like all of the passives the DH has in the arsenal. Even Thrill of the Hunt, it is amazing with Multishot, you can pause the whole room.
Reply Quote
SharpShooter Best PVP PASSIVE
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 01:31 AMPosted by ActionKungfu
Even Thrill of the Hunt, it is amazing with Multishot, you can pause the whole room.

I feel like playing with Thrill of the Hunt too, but kinda ran out of passive slot.
Right now testing out with pure sentry build and slow with nat slayer.

Since sentry don't crit, I dont have much use for shsh actually. Will change back once I get tired of sentries. Turret batteries is cool.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 08:31 PMPosted by JaceAltair
lol. The fact that you prefer a build that doesnt use sharpshooter for higher mp levels just proves my point and pretty much what others have been saying in this thread. There is a reason why higher geared DH don't use sharpshooter.

LoL

:NO:

You didn't prove any point, the only reason why I prefer the Stun build I use on higher MP's is because it's Tanky and I don't have to Kite a Million miles because of the amount of HP the monsters have, I just have to hold my Left Click button and stand still and kill elites. But in terms of Damage Output, the Frost Arrow build I'm using that incorporates Sharp Shooter deals more damage.

I said that sharpshooter is useless for higher MP levels, and you're agreeing with me without even realizing it. /facepalm
Reply Quote
Sharpshooter is a waste of passive skill. Design a better one
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 02:50 AMPosted by Xeno
Sharpshooter is a waste of passive skill. Design a better one

can you back this up with numbers?
Reply Quote
With my current gear, 1% CC is equivalent to 10% CD. Yes, for things like ubers where you'll be constantly hitting and therefore never allow SS to boost you higher than 3%, Archery would be better. Farming wise however, archery can be replaced with SS due to the amount of moving you'll need to be doing. 50% CD from Archery (for me anyways) would be equivalent to 5% CC as stated above meaning after a mere 1 second of not critting, SS would be more effective than Archery and moving from wave to wave of trash (and elites) usually takes longer than that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]