Diablo® III

At wits end what to upgrade! Help needed!

Hey all,

Thanks for checking out my thread.

I mainly do long key runs at higher MPs for legen drops and keys and then ubers thereafter.
I can farm MP6 with ease, MP7 takes a bit longer and a few more deaths. 1.23IAS, 52% CC, 488 CD.

My stats are 560AR, with higher Phys, poison and light resist.
154k DPS, 48k HP.

What do i mainly need now? More AR, more vit, more DPS ?
and what can i upgrade for that?

I have about 50m right now, can put in another 50m if really need be.

My options that i know as of now (please feel free to add / critique)
1. IK Chest : I really need a better chest for AR. I can pick up a similar rare for 20-40m, IK chest will cost me about 80m or so.
2. Mempo with str, crit. It gives me similar DPS, HP but more AR. However, it costs like 150m, so not worth it right now.
3. Better IK helm, Better Ice climbers.
4. Witching hour gives me 20k DPS, same HP but i lose the AR and my LS and also possible cleave / bash dmg. Is that worth it, will cost me about 40m or so.
5. Dont need mov spd from lacunis / innas, will drop me too much in stats.
6. Dont need IK Boots, mov spd will be nice, but stat drop will be too much from iceclimbers.

Some new cheap innas, lacunis, WH comparision:
http://i.imgur.com/6B21q.jpg

Any other recommendations ?
Edited by CyCo#1801 on 12/11/2012 2:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just upgraded the lower DPS ring, have 1.3k more DPS, 4k more HP.
Reply Quote
I'd upgrade to IK reign. You'd not only get the added AR, but you'd get a good dose of armor so you could change Tough as Nails to Superstition and have even more defence against elemental. You'd get the set bonus against melee as well.
Reply Quote
Hey all,

My options that i know as of now (please feel free to add / critique)
1. IK Chest : I really need a better chest for AR. I can pick up a similar rare for 20-40m, IK chest will cost me about 80m or so.
2. Mempo with str, crit. It gives me similar DPS, HP but more AR. However, it costs like 150m, so not worth it right now.
3. Better IK helm, Better Ice climbers.
4. Witching hour gives me 20k DPS, same HP but i lose the AR and my LS and also possible cleave / bash dmg. Is that worth it, will cost me about 40m or so.
5. Dont need mov spd from lacunis / innas, will drop me too much in stats.
6. Dont need IK Boots, mov spd will be nice, but stat drop will be too much from iceclimbers.

Any other recommendations ?

1. yes get an ik chest
2. get a mempo without crit
3. meh
4. 20k dps is tremendous and it has IAS, use bloodthirst
5. you might think you dont need the ms, but you do, what you REALLY need is the IAS from these 2 items
6. your hp is too high and its crippling you because your focusing on that

bottom line: you do not have nearly enough IAS to make 2hand shine, and too much hp. Aim for 35-40k hp with similar all res and use warcry-impunity and bloodthirst.
Reply Quote
@Squill I understand the logic in IK. more armor, more AR. Its just that putting down 80m on that doesnt really seem worth it to me right now ? If I had the gold, I just may do that.

@Jook
1. Same as my comment to squill.
2. If I do that, I get IAS, but will lose a lot of DPS, as it is the crit one loses me 1-2k DPS. I will wind up getting IAS, but lower CC and lower DPS.
3. Intersting, this is the main thing I was going to do. Get more str or better stats on these.
4. I know 20k DPS is a lot, thats y I am leaning towards this. I guess i could always use bloodthirst if my LS feels too low. But I would like to mention, its this LS that is keeping me alive along with rend. It lets me dance in arcane, stand in desecrator (mostly) as I can keep HOTAing. Without WOTB, my biggest problem as always is fury regen. Hence, IF i had to, would it make sense to keep my currently belt, get a IK chest and then switch TaN for animosity ?
5. Again you did bring up IAS. I dont completely understand why I need IAS, esp since im not WW. I may get more APS, but is it really worth the huge loss i take in DPS, AR, vit etc?
6. HP is high? I thought 50k would be nice, 45k bare minimum. If I lose HP, i can get a lot in many other items. E.g. shoulders, boots etc.

Btw, esp. coz of the HP point, I just got a good deal on a ring.

Its not showing up on my profile yet.
9 max dmg
77 Str
98 Int
82Vit
8 IAS
32 CD
3.5 CC

The main thing it gives me is more HP, and 2k DPS and some resist.

I could possibly get 100-300m for this but I didnt want to coz of the extra HP.
Reply Quote
Could Jook or anyone else comment on the too much vit and too little IAS to me ?

I know here IAS is not about paper DPS, if i have the same DPS, with or without IAS, it means that I will attack faster with more IAS for less damage or attack slower with less IAS with more damage.

@ Jook super crazy ammy man. Btw, y all the vit gems ?
Reply Quote
A stand and deliver build such as HotA still needs attack speed because your leeching has to be greater than incoming damage. If you attack more often you leech life more often.

I don't think 80M is a terrible investment in equipment that will give you a ton of STR, Armor (800+), and AR. It's not a shortterm fix, in fact it may be the last armor you ever require.
Reply Quote
@Squill.

If you see my current chest, It has 169 str, 189 vit and 16AR.
a decent 80m IK chest will generally give me:
150-160 str
150-170 vit.
70-80AR
So I will gave about 60 AR or so, and may actually lose str and vit.
Armor, yes, I will gain about 300-400 armor.

Thats actually the main reason im waiting, if i need a good armor, y not just get a 100m or 120m that i wont need to change again soon.

HOTA needs IAS for more attacks per sec. But if ur DPS is lower, then does it really make a diff ? I have 1.0 APS and 150k DPS, then i do 1 attack per second for 150k Dmg. If I have 1.5APS with 150k DPS, then my actual damage is much lower, its just that I net a total damage of 150k DPS FACTORING IN the IAS already.

So does it actually make an diff at all? Acc. to me IAS would only make a diff if it increases my total DPS.
Reply Quote
your thinking in terms of paper dps, ignore that it is a poor illusion of how effective you are. I recommend you buy the cheapest versions of the gear i mentioned... would cost you like 20mil max just and pick up impunity instead of revenge and bloodthirst instead of tough as nails. You will be 2x as effective this i can almost guarentee...and use frenzy maniac keep it at 5 stacks then smash spam, attack once to refresh buff then more smash spam. 20% more dmg buff

i use vit gems to inflate my pvp dummy score
Reply Quote
1stly, you are not a ww barb. However, 24%ms is still something "once you get hold, never give it up". Probably you know why after you get them and farm for a week. Switch them b later.

Higher ias also give you access to ww built. Ias certainly works better on skorn. Its easier to play with higher swing speed. I pick higher swing speed anytime vs same dps 1.0spd. I tried them both. Again It's an easy decision.
Reply Quote
@Jook I will definitely try it out. Btw, any reason u pick maniac vs punish ?

@Honygyuh I totally agree. Mov spd is awesome, but not the need to have right now.
The IAS decision is very interesting. Do you know of any thread that calculates IAS for normal barbs and not WW barbs ? Because I would love to see the stats on lower DPS but high IAS.
Reply Quote
@Jook I will definitely try it out. Btw, any reason u pick maniac vs punish ?

knockback is annoying, frenzy is faster to refresh, frenzy appears as a visable buff so you can time your attack

what i do is get 5 stacks of maniac(buff lasts 5 seconds) then ill rend afterwards(rend also lasts 5 seconds) then smash spam. then when its about to drop ill stop smash, attack ONCE with frenzy to refresh the buff and rend ONCE right afterwards then continue smash spam i also hold down shift so i dont go chasing after mobs. This means i always have a 20% dmg buff and rend ticking while making optimal use of smash.
Edited by Jook#1782 on 12/9/2012 5:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Jook knockback IS annoying. And yes, frenzy is easier since u see it. But then its also about fury, and bash gives me more fury which really helps. But will try that out.
Reply Quote
Anyone else with any other advice other than get IK, get IAS and lose the vit ?
Reply Quote
Try http://www.d3rawr.com/d to calculate your DPS gain.

If your objective is to farm more efficiently, then you will really want to consider IAS and movement speed. Let me answer your question about this:

12/09/2012 02:58 PMPosted by CyCo
So does it actually make an diff at all? Acc. to me IAS would only make a diff if it increases my total DPS.

Yes, it makes a big difference in farming speed. Consider this: at 150k DPS, you will be one-shotting most white mobs with HOTA. If your APS is only 1.2, you can only kill 1.2 small clumps of white mobs per second. But if your APS can go up to 1.6, you will be able to kill 1.6 groups of white mobs per second.

Even if each Smash does a bit less damage, you'll still be one-shotting most white mobs, and you'll be able to kill MORE of these mobs per hour, leading to more experience and more drops.

Now add another 12% movement speed. You'll be saving one second here and one second there in all the empty spaces. Multiply this over 3 hours of farming per session, and I guarantee you'll see a significant increase in the number of runs you can complete in 3 hours.
Reply Quote
I do use rawr to calculate the gains, and as jook mentioned, it may not be a flat DPS increase and if I use a mempo or a lacunis, i lose DPS.

Now u r right in the 1.2 and 1.6 difference. Its about attacking slow and hitting hard vs. attacking fast but hitting soft. And i guess when ur talking about crits, its better to attack more than less. A witching hour gives me tons of XP increase, so it does make sense. But the extra 15% or so from innas + lacunis may not, coz the APS increase, may not really offset the DPS decrease. and thats the only place i can get mov spd, coz i will lose a lot of DPS without ice c.
Reply Quote
My two cents worth....
1. yes this first but a good chest (IK) will cost about 200 mill
2. MEMPO (phew) not worth it stick to IK set you don't need to become a papper DPS Barb It's all about balance
3. Not at the moment but one day ya Get one with AR (make sure chest is high in VIT)
4. Get a IK belt you won't reget it
5. Yes you do need MS
6. You need MS IK boots are great and add to the set
Reply Quote
@Waycooloz

I have an IK Belt, and I do know an awesome vit chest costs a lot. The 150 Str 150 vit cost about 70-100m.

MS IK boots are good, but They cant match my current boots (or better ones in terms of stats). I have about 250 str, 10-12% Life and 60-100vit on them. IK boots with 175 str 180 vit give me +2k life, -4k DPS and cost 850m! The only adv is mov spd and im not sure they are worth that much to me right now, unless im aiming for a 5set.
Reply Quote
An update from my side:

I looked at innas and lacunis.I gain about 5-10k DPS on innas and 2-5k DPS on lacunis. I bleed HP, about 7-8k on innas and about 5k on lacunis. However, the big thing is that I lose AR. About 120 AR total. I make up that with IK Armor, so net 60 loss. That will bring me down to 500 AR. Is that really comfortable? That means with impunity i will just be at 620, which IMO is really low, esp. for a HOTA barb.

Its also keeping in mind that I have 56 AR on my ammy that I could lose for 9IAS but that will bring me down to 420 AR unbuffed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]