Diablo® III

Good weapons, still crappy dps.

Is it my strength or what? I'm at 48% crit and 524%cd with battle rage...

edit: I sold some WD gear and upgraded some things, sittin at 150k with battle rage
Edited by HandGestures#1375 on 12/10/2012 10:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, your strength is pretty busted, and if you really want that high stat sheet DPS you need more attack speed gear and average damage on your rings/ammy
Edited by Wayneold#1685 on 12/9/2012 9:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yea, str is a big part. Definately.
Reply Quote
a ring with 5-6% crit and cd/as and a little str/avg damage would solve all your problems.

that ias/cd ring is gimping you, hard. lots of cd without the crit is bad itemization. your crit chance is really low, essentially wasting all of that crit damage that you have.
Reply Quote
Well my gear isn't as good as yours, but I don't have anyone to play with so if you don't mind an undergeared barb around 100k dps. Then I'll join you :)
Reply Quote
You are only paragon lvl 6 so lvl up and you will get some str/vit.
Reply Quote
Your actual dps is better than your character sheet dps, due to the low dmg of your offhand, which doesn't matter for your tornadoes.
Plus like the other folks said, upgrade those rings. Not sure if you need your res all so high to survive. So maybe u can ditch AR on one or both rings and get some nice ones with higher avg dmg, cc/cd and some strength to boot.
Reply Quote
118k strg for 4k Elite Kills is a "crappy dps"?

Back when i had 4k elite kills i dont think i made to inferno yet! lol
Reply Quote
i got just the right ring for ya! add me in-game if you wanna have a look

Enzo#6484
Reply Quote
View profile
12/09/2012 09:31 PMPosted by Wayneold
Yeah, your strength is pretty busted, and if you really want that high stat sheet DPS you need more attack speed gear and average damage on your rings/ammy

+1
Reply Quote
Get rid of those depth diggers, replace them with rare pants that have 150str/200+vit/2 sockets and NO AR. Those will cost you 10k-2m.

You can then get a better amulet.

Next you need to get CC on your 1st ring. I mean, whats the point of having all that crit dmg and not stacking on it?

Next get some IK gloves. I don't get why I see so many barbs with rare gloves ask for help but IK gloves are always one of the answers. If you search the AH by strength, you won't find any rares for a while...Also they have 9-10% cc.

Then get rid of your offhand. Pick up an echoing fury with a socket.

I thought offhand dps wasn't important, just the stats that came with it? I also did the math on IK gloves. Mine have a tiny less crit and the same strength, mine also have crit damage and vita which is hard to come by on IK gloves if you want to keep it within a reasonable budget. Right now I have about 48m to play with after I sold my life steal skorn.
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 06:13 PMPosted by HandGestures
I thought offhand dps wasn't important, just the stats that came with it?

If stat sheet DPS is your goal, then offhand DPS matters for sure....if WW efficiency is your goal then stop worrying about your stat sheet DPS to begin with.

EF is a great offhand because it raises the speed of both weapons by +.2x attacks per second. No other single item in the game will raise your attack speed by that great of a margin.
Reply Quote

I was under that impression too, actually. The offhand can't just "add damage" like a regular weapon, can it? I thought it only added the stats but didn't actually increase your damage regardless. For example, an offhand with 256 dps (and stats like +70%cd, or 9%as or whatever) and an offhand with 759 dps and the exact same stats would have the same dps result, no?

If that's not true, then the offhand must add dps but at a greatly reduced rate compared to the mainhand, yes?
Edited by Anwar#1857 on 12/10/2012 6:36 PM PST
Reply Quote

If stat sheet DPS is your goal, then offhand DPS matters for sure....if WW efficiency is your goal then stop worrying about your stat sheet DPS to begin with.

EF is a great offhand because it raises the speed of both weapons by +.2x attacks per second. No other single item in the game will raise your attack speed by that great of a margin.

I think you might be slightly wrong there, the dual benefit of EF applies only if in your mainhand, unless something recently changed, I'm pretty positive that if its used as an oh, the +aspd doesn't benefit the mainhand weapon as well, only dw bonus does.

@op, crazy high dps mainhand :)
Edited by Phantom#1713 on 12/10/2012 6:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 06:36 PMPosted by Phantom
I think you might be slightly wrong there, the dual benefit of EF applies only if in your mainhand, unless something recently changed, I'm pretty positive that if its used as an oh, the +aspd doesn't benefit the mainhand weapon as well, only dw bonus does.

Nope, check it out again....it applies to both weapons even in the offhand.
Reply Quote
To answer all your questions about offhand DPS and whatnot, and because I don't feel like typing out how weapons work all over again I have stolen this from Uberjager's guide, enjoy:

2G) Weapon choices!

I know most of you have been waiting for this.

Weapon choices is one of the primary reasons why most barbarians waste money. Especially WW barbarians.

First things first. Here's a list of important stats that can roll on weapons (ranked in order of importance):

1. AVG damage.

2. Lifesteal.

3. Socket/Critical Damage (they're essentially the same thing)

4. Strength.

5. Vit.

Why do I rank lifesteal higher than that of critical damage/socket/strength?

I've seen most players gear to improve DPS rankings on offsites like Diabloprogress or etc. On these sites they seem to ignore the value of lifesteal altogether and most players do on the assumption that they can get the bloodthirst passive and proceed to stack for more paper dps. This stupid. Mainly because it puts you in a rut. Lets say if reflect damage gets buffed, (though I really hope not) these players would have suddenly realised "ohshi- I need more lifesteal nao. Changing your weapon in the event of a crisis like that happening is the worst thing that could happen to you. This is because weapons at a higher tier are usually godly... expensive and players who make that mistake commit to errors resulting in losses of hundred millions of gold. Try to avoid that.

Also, the use of the bloodthirst passive is stupid. I know it's massively tempting to go the way of the Diabloprogress DPS rankings but beserker rage or brawler give way more bonuses than you could get off a "10k dps higher weapon with no lifesteal". Some of you might complain that "omg, they have so low uptime" I'd probably respond with a "l2p". I'll go indepth on this in the skill choice section. But this approach to gearing for barbs has been terribad.

A fine example of this is Google337#1271. Recently upon a rumor that orignated off a blue post that RD was going to be nerfed he immediately sold his lifesteal MH (he had only 2.7% on gear then all of it was from his MH, selling it would drop it to 3% from just bloothirst alone) and got a higher dps weap with more critical damage. It was pretty amusing to then watch him die over and over again before he had to resign to the fact that they weren't going to do anything about RD and that having !@#$ty LS and sustain is bad. He promptly bought himself another MH with LS (that was crappier than the previous one he sold). Looking from his finances I'd say he probably lost 1b in that whole fiasco.

Lets run through the 3 most optimum dual wielding setups and two of that includes your favorite fear stick, Echoing Fury (EF).

High DPS MH + EF.

EF + Fast but low dps OH.

High DPS MH + Fast but low dps OH.

Heres some elaboration on each individual setup and my take on which is better.

High DPS MH + EF.

I would say this is the most ideal setup for a barb that you want to be able to play different skill builds. You could be a HoTA/WW hybrid or a throw/WW hybrid. You could play anything. The only cons of this setup is that it's going to be expensive. A high dps EF and a high dps weapon you can expect to cost about 300m per piece. One MH I find really cost effective to fill that slot that fulfills the ranking system I listed above is the Butcher's Sickle. Personally, I've seen a !@#$ton of sickles in the market relatively underpriced compared to their rare counterparts and mostly unsold. The EF fury procs are largely rare and manageable due in part that the only few things that would proc it are WW (though probably only on initial cast), fury generating attacks and Overpower, hence removing the need for a cold SoJ. In this setup, the dps is skewed to WW and other forms of damage dealing skills, however RLTW still deals about half of the dps for your setup so hitting breakpoints are still as important.

EF + Fast but low dps OH.

Alot of players swear by this. This build is a variation on the classic WW build pioneered by kripparian but instead of using a High DPS MH you'll be using an EF to further maximise your RLTW by hitting the higher breakpoint thresholds. However as EF is on MH, it procs way more. I find it quite tough to pin point the source of this but I suspect it has to do with RLTW actually proccing the MH's CC. It's annoying to the point that if anyone runs this setup without a cold SoJ or a cold offhand to keep the fear in check it's an extremely inefficient setup. If you recall Acrimony used to have an EF on MH and a sword on OH. But whenever he advertised his DPS it'd be at 240k... with no cold SOJ or OH. His actual combat dps was much lower because of the fear procs and the fact that a good 30% of the mobs he's trying to kill run off from the pack of mobs he's WWing. Its an example of deceptive skill building that tricks the less informed into thinking that the setup is ideal (high dps, ehp ftw), especially since his MH EF had no lifesteal. I heard he sold his gear for 12b, fanboys + deceptive gearing ftw!

High DPS MH + Fast but low dps OH.

About the same as the above but because of the fact that you don't get the +xx APS it's much harder to hit the APS required to hit the higher breakpoints. You'll realise that as a result you're extremely over reliant on % ias from gear and might make gearing in that respect much harder.

However, you don't constantly fear stuff you attack, so it has its benefits.

Popular misconceptions:

Most players prefer to use a mace or axe for MH. But most do not realise that if your CC is pretty high you can afford to drop the axe or mace as your MH and use a high dps sword as an MH. The 15% from weapon master increases your dps by a decent amount once you've gone past a certain dps value.

ON 2H setups for WW. I don't really know that much about how 2H works because tbh I've avoided it like the plague. Sure, they're awesome for HoTA, rend , seismic slam but WW wise they seem too slow to help in the fury generation process. For that reason I won't comment much on it. But I wouldn't endorse it either.
Reply Quote
So I sold half my WD gear and upped my barbs sheet dps to 150k with just battle rage.
Reply Quote
with 4000 elite kills, you may as well just spend more money with real money.

get EF with socket, get better rings, get trifecta amulet

get Lacuni prowlers with CC.
Reply Quote
am I missing something? 2447 str is not busted...I was expecting like 1700 or something.
Edited by MASKOAA#1251 on 12/10/2012 9:42 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]