Diablo® III

Tuesday = Blizzard Christmas Party

time to delete agent folder once again...
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 09:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
Knock off the trolling, folks (this includes posting in all caps, calling people "idiots," etc). I can understand why you might be frustrated about tomorrow's downtime and I can certainly empathize since it's not an ideal situation, but that doesn't mean it's okay to be rude or uncivil to other posters. =/

Ma'am yes Ma'am.

Also, since so many of you insist tomorrow is our Christmas party (it isn't), sounds like I'll have to decorate appropriately. And potentially wear an awful holiday sweater. With lights. Oh, and one of those horrible appliques of Rudolph or one of the lesser-known reindeer. Yes.

Sure as long as you tweet the pics!
Reply Quote
You would be incorrect about the festivities, but we can't fault you for guessing!

We're very much around (and will be around tomorrow, too), but we're quite busy behind-the-scenes. We don't have much new information to share at the moment, but the development team is currently working on some content updates for an upcoming patch, and we hope to share more details on that in the near future.

(Note: We'll be releasing 1.0.6a [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7383708519"]tomorrow[/url], but it's just a fastpatch, not a content patch. Sometimes certain issues can't be hotfixed, so we'll need a full patch to address them.)

then why did you name the previous patch as 1.0.6 since it was the patch just like this one?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
i work all the holidays and such at my job, we are closed for only 1 day of the year and thats christmas. That day we open up at 12:01 am on the 26th.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
12/10/2012 10:34 PMPosted by Oray
then why did you name the previous patch as 1.0.6 since it was the patch just like this one?

Because it contained a lot of the architecture and data needed to begin our Battle.net functionality testing: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7924401/

I believe the patch was something like 8 MBs. Not exactly small (though a lot of the content wasn't visible to players, to be fair).
Reply Quote
(Note: We'll be releasing 1.0.6a tomorrow, but it's just a fastpatch, not a content patch. Sometimes certain issues can't be hotfixed, so we'll need a full patch to address them.)

Hmm, so after 6patches, 7months of the game released, there're still un-hotfixable issues on the game?
Edited by stefan#3330 on 12/10/2012 11:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
There will be employees still working through the holidays, missing time with there families to make sure everything is running great. Server techs and others alike will be on call incase something goes down or theres a problem.

So please show some respect to these folks who will be sacrificing there time so you can still play. I don't agree with the way d3 has turned out but still gives us no right to harass these employees when they should have the day or days off to be with family.

I used to go back to work during new year\ christmas n i wish someone will appreciate. My boss just think i get double pay for that day n it is a fair deal

So ure right we should respect them giving up their days off

But i wont rule out them having parties after work lol~ though it probably wont be as fun as those who dont needa work the next day
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 07:30 PMPosted by Vaeflare
but the development team is currently working on some content updates for an upcoming patch, and we hope to share more details on that in the near future.

OOhh, what can this be :O

Stop getting me exited!
Edited by Densans#2713 on 12/11/2012 12:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Lylirra

Because it contained a lot of the architecture and data needed to begin our Battle.net functionality testing: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7924401/

I believe the patch was something like 8 MBs. Not exactly small (though a lot of the content wasn't visible to players, to be fair).

This is one of these areas where you guys just set yourselves up for such easy free kicks.

1.06 should have really been 1.05b, you'd have to be blind not to realise that players expect content with major patch number increments, so why not just avoid the angst and call it 1.06b instead?

It really does seem almost like a form of masochism Blizzard indulges in sometimes.

Another obvious example, you'd have to be equally blind I think not to realise that players expect maintenance on Tuesdays, so when a maintenance comes up on say a Friday, and you guys call it "scheduled", you take a hit from so many people for absolutely no good earthly gain on your part.

I'm not saying either of these situations didn't need to happen, but how about you guys in the tech departments run things past marketing / PR once in a while. You might just save yourselves some completely unnecessary hassles.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
This is one of these areas where you guys just set yourselves up for such easy free kicks.

1.06 should have really been 1.05b, you'd have to be blind not to realise that players expect content with major patch number increments, so why not just avoid the angst and call it 1.06b instead?

It really does seem almost like a form of masochism Blizzard indulges in sometimes.

The major difference between a normal patch and a fastpatch is what happens to the software code. Normal patches (1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3) require a new branch in our software code, whereas fastpatches (1.0.1a, 1.0.2b, 1.0.6a, etc) do not and any data included is simply added to an existing branch. This is pretty typical of how patches work for the software industry as a whole.

The reason 1.0.6 wasn't 1.0.5a was due to fact that the data we patched in for our Battle.net testing was significant enough to merit its own branch in our software code. We know that this probably felt a little weird for players -- to have a normal patch for only a small amount of visible changes -- but it was a necessary beast (so to speak). We try to avoid these situations whenever possible.
Reply Quote
come on blizzard sort ur crap out u have some countries on downtime for no reason US ppl r playing right after patch and us aussies suffer coz we cant log in i have been waiting weeks for a belt uprade to come on in the AH coz ur drops and rolls r that !@#$ that i have to depend on the AH for every item i have now that i finally found one i wont be able to bid coz i cant log in WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORT IT OUT
Reply Quote

The major difference between a normal patch and a fastpatch is what happens to the software code. Normal patches (1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3) require a new branch in our software code, whereas fastpatches (1.0.1a, 1.0.2b, 1.0.6a, etc) do not and any data included is simply added to an existing branch. This is pretty typical of how patches work for the software industry as a whole.

If that is the case then does it mean that patch 1.06 was not complete before it was merged into the baseline? If that was the case the best practice is to take out another branch to make the current changes to prevent potential human errors when merging it back in i.e. "It was working before.. how come it is not working now??"
Reply Quote
Jay would make a great santa IMO. I envy blizz's christmas parties.
Reply Quote
read this entire thread and this reaction is litterly most ppl here on any sort of thing blizz does for D3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OGD5_9cA0#t=00m16s
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 05:52 PMPosted by nofo
Jay would make a great santa IMO. I envy blizz's christmas parties.

He'd make a better grinch. :(
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is pretty typical of how patches work for the software industry as a whole.
Uh....... firefox is up to version 17! Diablo has been around a lot longer. How come you guys aren't up to v17?

O_o
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]