Diablo® III

The Witching Hour vs IK Belt for high MP lvls

So I just got a Witching Hour with a high str roll, and I'm wondering if I should break my IK set, drop my Innas and get pants with AR STR VIT, then switch to a HotA build and farm higher MP levels for better loot. I don't think I'd need much MS for HotA, so maybe I could afford to drop my Innas and stick with +12% MS on my boots.

Thoughts? :D
Reply Quote
The only way I'll use a witching hour is if I get LS on my main down the road....and all res on my current glove to make up the loss of AR from the set bonus. Witching Hour is great as long as you don't sacrifice survivability for it.

My ideal main since I'm a mighty weapon guy would be 11ias,crit dmg,socket,LS, STR.......one can dream.
Edited by MASKOAA#1251 on 12/10/2012 6:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you want to try higher MP, you will need more resist and HP. MS is useful for any builds. The purpose of it is to reduce the chance of losing beserker running from one pack to the next.

To use witching, you will either need LS on both weapons or on one of the weapon + bloodthirst passive. Most will go with the later because it is more cost effective.

Doing HOTA (excluding WW hybrid) at high MP (9 or 10) demands heavy gear because you need high armor, high resist and high dps for life leech (not for killing mobs quickly). With WW, you can get away with lesser gear because of mobility.
Reply Quote
The only way I'll use a witching hour is if I get LS on my main down the road....and all res on my current glove to make up the loss of AR from the set bonus. Witching Hour is great as long as you don't sacrifice survivability for it.

My ideal main since I'm a mighty weapon guy would be 11ias,crit dmg,socket,LS, STR.......one can dream.

When I meant breaking the set, I meant breaking the 5-set bonus. I think having 2 pieces of IK is mandatory, unless you stack up some solid AR. I've been doing a lot of switching, especially on my weapons since I lost the LS from IK belt. Right now, I'm using a pretty good sword for MH and a dagger with CHD, IAS and OS, but I really felt the effect of not having that +10 cc when I did my last run. Tradeoffs. :( My DPS on paper went down by about 10-20k, but I was really killing mobs faster, while keeping WOTB up on MP6. :D

Btw, solid IK gloves, man.
Edited by Nar#1725 on 12/10/2012 7:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
If you want to try higher MP, you will need more resist and HP. MS is useful for any builds. The purpose of it is to reduce the chance of losing beserker running from one pack to the next.

To use witching, you will either need LS on both weapons or on one of the weapon + bloodthirst passive. Most will go with the later because it is more cost effective.

Doing HOTA (excluding WW hybrid) at high MP (9 or 10) demands heavy gear because you need high armor, high resist and high dps for life leech (not for killing mobs quickly). With WW, you can get away with lesser gear because of mobility.

Around how much AR, HP and DPS will I need to succeed in MP8+? I went with LS on my OH + bloodthirst passive. I just tried HOTA now, and I think I'll just stick with WW. My DPS wont let me leech enough life to keep me standing against a pack when all the other minions are dead. While the minions were alive, Rend was keeping me up, and not my actual DPS from HOTA. Haha, I guess I'll do HOTA some other time. Lol.
Reply Quote
Hi there, I farm MP10 comfortably with these gears:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/chichi-1857/Dog/28792793

My dps is not very high and I found HoTA/Rend build to be at least 2.5 time faster in killing elites and mobs in general vs WW. As you can see from my profile, I currently run a WW build to farm XP at low MP (0 - 2), and WW is excellent for this purpose. It could be different if your dps is in the 200k up, idk, for my damage range HoTA beats WW hands down.

Basically for MP10 HoTA you will need (all unbuffed) 650 res all, 6500 armor, 50k HP, 100k dps, 7.5% life leech (higher dps means less life leech require, off course).

I suggest the build below, on D3progress I was experimenting with killing Kulle-Siege on MP10 solo so the build there was not typical:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZkQRP!ZYd!bZcbYc

Or a pure HoTA build for easy fury management, since you don't have rend to keep your sustain, in it's place will be Overpower - Crushing Advance, you don't need killing spree because HoTA's crit chance scale with Fury, just keep your Fury up and you will crit all the times and gain fury back. That's why if you have high crit chance, you can drop weapon master as well for Animosity instead. Crit chance only add to your paper dps, not real damage. Bash - Instigation is an alternative to Punish, sacrifying damage boost for slightly faster fury gain, which means more of thoose sweet HoTA. Try this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZkQRP!ZWd!YZcbYc

Needless to say, HoTA builds benefit greatly from a 5 piece IK set (+2 fury gained from Fury Generators + no more fury degen) and especially a piece that give you -5 Fury cost which means you make up for all Fury needed for HoTA every time your crit, and HoTA should ALWAYS crit. It should be 1 piece because otherwise you will sacrifice a lot of dps. And you don't need more. It is costly, but that's the best option.

I have tried -5 on SoJ, Mara, and Skull Grasp with no crit, but later on decided to go with a boost in dps in stead and ditch all those options. Skull Grasp with - Fury cost AND cc are hardest to find, usually there is none on the AH. If you are going to pick one, I suggest SoJ.

I have played HoTA builds for a very long time until I got my WW disconnects fixed, so if you have any questions, just shoot. ;)
Reply Quote
Hi there, I farm MP10 comfortably with these gears:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/chichi-1857/Dog/28792793

You are farming MP10? how long does it take you to kill Elite Packs?
Reply Quote
So I just got a Witching Hour with a high str roll, and I'm wondering if I should break my IK set, drop my Innas and get pants with AR STR VIT, then switch to a HotA build and farm higher MP levels for better loot. I don't think I'd need much MS for HotA, so maybe I could afford to drop my Innas and stick with +12% MS on my boots.

Thoughts? :D

I keep both IK and Witching in my ready stash. Typically 6% leech is enough for most situations but you never know when you re going to run into some tough Elites. Like other gear its good to have a survival package with 10-20% less dps and then your regular dps gear IMO. They key is find a good dps and survival balance for your style of play since some very skilled players can go basically pure dps and use timing to stay a live. Others rely on EHP and most go for a balance it seems like.
Reply Quote

I have to disagree slightly there is another side, I run MP-10 fine with my witch 315LOH and bloodthrist only. If you need X amount of Life per second to survive on a giving MP it doesn't matter how it comes. 250K DPS at 3% or 125K DPS at 6%. I have also found using OP with killing spree advantageous to crushing advance the boast in DPS and ability to kill quickly in combination with the additional LS to work well with my gear at MP10.
Reply Quote
Is Hota that much more effective in mp10?

Having tried both, I admit Hota can kill elites faster, but I will have to be very careful of my positioning to not get cornered. With WW I can dance in and out of danger care free and not be concerned with survivability. In the end I prefer the latter because the difference in kill speed is negligible and I can afford to be lazy.

With 350k self-buffed dps, I still get owned by mp10 reflect packs at 6% LS. The encounter is much more trivial with 9% LS.
Reply Quote
Is Hota that much more effective in mp10?

Having tried both, I admit Hota can kill elites faster, but I will have to be very careful of my positioning to not get cornered. With WW I can dance in and out of danger care free and not be concerned with survivability. In the end I prefer the latter because the difference in kill speed is negligible and I can afford to be lazy.

With 350k self-buffed dps, I still get owned by mp10 reflect packs at 6% LS. The encounter is much more trivial with 9% LS.

yeah true the RD's are the curve ball I've been using frenzy maniac and for RD its affective to come off WW and allow my LOH to reach its highest potential, the problem is recognizing them before your cannon fodder. I used to carry a 1K belt as back up if i got a nasty combo like a electrified RD or something. However I'm finding frenzy with LOH to be a better option.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]