Diablo® III

Periodical Freezing (Lag?)

Hey there, I got a new weird problem.

I've only just returned to D3 after exams. Haven't played since right before 1.0.5. Now I come back and I constantly get random game freezes. I'm not even sure if it's a connection issue or some sort of GPU glitch. Here is what happens:

Game runs fine at high setting (never had any hardware problems either), suddenly irrelevant of the location/number of mobs around, the game will freeze. I can still run around, whirlwind etc, but the environment is frozen and I can't do anything. Sometimes after 5 second, sometimes after as long as 30 seconds, the game will suddenly fast forward everything at a mad pace to my obviously dead body. Right after such freeze, my connection bar will drop down to red for a second, but will then return to normal (until the next freeze that is) This seems to happen at random, but nevertheless makes the game COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE.

Please help me resolve this issue.

i5 2500 CPU
GTX 570 GPU
8gb Ram
Newest drivers
Reply Quote
Hmmm, from reading numerous topics it seems it might be related to the GPU after all. Anyone have any advice how to address it at least temporarily?

Edit: Seems like every time the GPU hits ~54+ degrees, everything goes sideways.
Edited by Eph3drine#1680 on 12/10/2012 6:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
Update: Underlocked the GPU, turned up the aircon in the room, turned the GPU fan to 100% power. The lags still happen. ~48 degrees (last one).
Reply Quote
Lags continue to occur even at lower temperatures. Definitely something messing up the GPU in the game. All other games (Black Ops 2 for example) run flawlessly on max settings with lower temperatures.
Reply Quote
u are not alone... while my game is freeze (maybe like 2-3 minute) until it show a msg "The game connection has been lost; your client has been disconnected from the server"
Reply Quote
Still no comment on this?
Reply Quote
I have regular performance issues, and i can't really link it to anything specifically. As far as GPU temperatures go, yours are ridiculously low, that definitely can't be a problem. I regularly have my cards approach 90 degrees C and that isn't a problem - although i do think its interesting how diablo 3 generates a ton of heat, but at the same time has a relatively low GPU utilization - i run evga precision to monitor temps and gpu utilization. For example, most of the time Diablo will have both GPU's at ~40% utilization. Switch to something like Civ V and i'll see much higher utilization, sometimes approaching 80-90% and it will generate less heat. I have SLI 470 GTX's overclocked pretty heavily and it will be constant 60fps in Diablo 3 (i have v-sync enabled). Then out of nowhere, for no reason i can determine, game will stutter, appear unsmooth, or even on rarer cases, rubber band.

I also use a core i7 2600k at 4+GHZ and have 32GB of memory and an SSD. I don't use a bloaty antivirus and i always run the most up to date drivers (but i don't run Nvidia beta drivers - unless there is a specific reason to) I use a cable internet connection and am hard wired to the router with cat-5.

All this, and i can't play the game smoothly and reliably? It just doesn't make sense. Not at all.
Reply Quote
I hope Blizz is working on this. A lot of people seem to be having this problem.

A rep advised me to turn off my antivirus (following a ticket). Did not help one bit,

I also concluded that the heat is not the problem. It still happens with very low temps. However the freezes are directly related to the ammount of stuff going on on the screen.

I've tried all sorts of different drivers too, no change.
Reply Quote
Having the same problem here!

AMD FX 8120
12Gb DDR 1600
GTX 680 4Gb - driver 310.70

The GPU and CPU temp never pass through 50ºC
The GPU usage never pass trough 60%

And the game freezes A LOT on Korsikk and Arreat Nucleus, just only when playing with 4 players on MP more than 5, or alone on MP10 (just sometimes).

Tried to reduce de config and nothing worked!
Reply Quote
@ Lordofthul: Is it exactly the same? Funnily enough I can still control the character when this happens... So the commands still go through to the server and my friends see me doing random stuff on their screen, as I run around blind.

This suggests that it is definitely GPU related. Something forces the GPU to dump its cache and then the game is frozen while the GPU rebuilds it from scratch.

In the meantime Blizz keeps sending me generic connection advice in response to my ticket, even though I've stressed over and over that this is GPU related. Poor effort.
Reply Quote
HERE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkO8LhaD8FQ&feature=youtu.be

I've even uploaded a video to show what is going on!

Blizz show a grain of actual "support" and look into this.
Reply Quote
Yes, I have the above same problem that you guys described since 3weeks ago. Today is the worst that the connection keep dropping to red (very low like 1200), I cannot even pick up items on the ground. Blizzard please, pay attention to the issue, I bet lots of player got the same problem.
Reply Quote
removed
Edited by brenzA#6648 on 12/14/2012 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
32 Gnome Mage
Having the same issue. Play for several minutes. Sometimes more or less until the game freezes and I got an eventual disconnect. What's interesting was I was given free wow game time recently and I had the same problem with that game as well.

Yet I can jump into cs:go and can play un interrupted for hours. It seems to be exclusive to blizzard games.
Reply Quote
Well what is weird is that my mate (the barb in the video) lives in my city, has the same ISP and has almost an identical computer save for the GPU and Mobo. He has zero lags.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Eph3drine,

Your video shows a connection issue, not one related to gpu lag. Troubleshooting it can take some time though as it's pretty much going to be a trial and error approach.

If it's at all possible, I'd take the computer over to your friend's house and try playing from his network connection. That will tell you the most and narrow down the problem quickly to either being your machine or your connection. Otherwise, you'll need to start with things like checking the driver version for the NIC, looking for firmware updates for your modem and router or swapping them out entirely, replacing the ethernet cable, and making sure no other computers on your network are streaming or doing heavy downloading while you're playing,
Reply Quote
@ Lordofthul: Is it exactly the same? Funnily enough I can still control the character when this happens... So the commands still go through to the server and my friends see me doing random stuff on their screen, as I run around blind.

This suggests that it is definitely GPU related. Something forces the GPU to dump its cache and then the game is frozen while the GPU rebuilds it from scratch.

In the meantime Blizz keeps sending me generic connection advice in response to my ticket, even though I've stressed over and over that this is GPU related. Poor effort.

YEAH EXACTLY THE SAME THING.... But dont know how that game can CRASH A GTX680 WITH 4GB!!!

Its not the connection, not the nvidia control panel forcing the game, ITS A BUG FROM THE GAME FFS!!! Ive turned off the nividia control panel setting for antialising, buffering and etc, turned of the game antialising, turned on the reduced FXs AND IT STILL HAPPENING!!!!

And that ridiculous support is telling us that is our PCs or config! Common FIX IT!
Reply Quote
I have the same issue, one minute ping is fine, then when an elite pack comes, everything freezes except for my character. Checking connection outside the game, everything is fine. After 30 secs or so, everything fast forwards and I am dead.
Reply Quote
Same here, I've been having this issue since the 1.0.6 was up.
I never had this issue before, like seriously never. I watch Youtube and Twich both just fine, oh and HD too!
I just can't keep playing like this! Please help and fix this issue!
Reply Quote
12/14/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Saikyou
I have the same issue, one minute ping is fine, then when an elite pack comes, everything freezes except for my character. Checking connection outside the game, everything is fine. After 30 secs or so, everything fast forwards and I am dead.

Same.
Blue/s you need to stop asking for DXdiag's and telling people to update their drivers. It's not us
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]