Diablo® III

Periodical Freezing (Lag?)

Yeah, after much frustration the issue is still not resolved, but it now is pretty much clear that the issue is connection related. However, since so many people get it and it all seems to have started recently, it is definitely nothing on our end. Blizzard's servers are not communicating with ISPs properly.

I spoke to an ISP technician on the phone today, and even he could not get a stable connection, the trace route returned with timeouts all the way.
Reply Quote
My case that is similar to you -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415151629

I think it could be due to connexion issue with your ISP or traffic-related. In a period of chronic lag, i've moved my laptop on another network, the univeristy network, and i've immediately noticed no more lag or no more freezing lag.

I think my ISP can't manage very well the traffic on heavy demand and on rush hour (usually the week in my case) ... Unfortunetely, i don't think that my isp is open to talk of this topic with me. The technicians systematically do reference to the plug in the wall or the network wires as the best solution... I should change my ISP.
Edited by EstiDeKaliss#1449 on 12/15/2012 12:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
You have a dual core cpu, high ram, and good video card?

Open your diablo 3 launcher, go options, uncheck peer to peer transfer, this might be taking up your upload speed causing lag, lower your graphics settings, and run the repair tool in the launcher see if you still lag
Reply Quote
Not gonna lower my settings with a 4ghz quad, 8gb of ddr3, and a 6950. And I phoned my ISP. They reset my router and we did a speed test. My connection is blazing fast.
It's not my pc or my connection
And explain why The horrible lag spikes only started on Friday?
Edited by DamageInc#1846 on 12/15/2012 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've reinstalled D3, and run a repair. Peer to peer is disabled in the launcher. Horrible lag spikes still there.
Reply Quote
DamageInc,

I did a speed test too during lag and i got 90mbit of dl \ up per sec, this is fast... But that didn't change my chronic lag.

In parallel i did the same test on the university server where no lag occur. I got 30mbit sec from up and dl.

So my isp seems faster to up and dl but still lag on D3. And on the slower university network, there is no lag.

Connection speed should not be related to this problem, this is something else than speed in the connexion.
Edited by EstiDeKaliss#1449 on 12/15/2012 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have the same issue since the last major patches also, this weekend experiencing the worst of it. Now I am getting this crazy lag, where my toon stops and catches up after 30sec to a minute for life or death, more frequently and actually getting DC'ed whether i am in the middle of the game or in AH. i get both lag and DC.

I dont expect AH to use a lot of graphics processing to render some static frames around static text. So, why am i lagging in AH and dc'ed from AH, same as in game. This connection and lag issue can't be graphics or PC performance base, all of my offline and online game works a treat.. but this lag issue remind me of my old WOW days where i would grind to a 1fps 6million dollar man slow mode run and Bliz blaming our machine.. same old, same old. no one wants the responsibility.

Anyway, this issue has been around for a while.. it seems it gets fixed eventually then 3 or 4 months down the line it will rear its ugly head again. Bandaid fix.
Reply Quote
Try everything listed below to see if you still have the lag:

I had problems with the new patch and i could not load the game, so I tried a bunch of things listed in the forum and reinstalled diablo 3 several times to fix it and I am using windows xp.

1) Disable or turn off your firewall, sometimes even if disable the firewall still works. I disabled my Kaspersky firewall, but somehow this blocked my connection to the battlenet patch server still. (Found out I had to uninstall kaspersky firewall to fix my problem with installing diablo 3, patch up date and load the game after many hours.

2) Before you uninstall, run the repair tool on the launcher, see if it fix your problem.

3) Go into internet explorer, go tools, internet options, lan settings, check automatically detect settings and uncheck use automatic config scrip/use a proxy server. If above does not work, go advanced in tool options, reset internet explorer settings, sometimes spyware change your settings.

4) Go microsoft website and update your windows and internet explorer, found out battlenet update use internet explorer for patch download.

5) For Streaming Failure error, Go C:\Program Files\Diablo III or similar one in your windows, delete Diablo III.mfil (when you run launcher they reinstall these and make a backup copy in case)

6) Go C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data or similar one in your windows, delete battlenet and blizzard entertainment folder (when you run launcher they reinstall these and make a backup copy in case) If you cannot see this Application Data folder, go C:\Documents and Settings, go tools, folder options, view, check view hidden files and folders. For Windows Vista/7: C:\ProgramData\ is the same as Application Data for windows xp.

7) Go Start menu, run, type in msconfig for windows xp or similar one in windows 7/8, go general, set selective startup, disable all items in start up. Go services, hide all microsoft services, disable all others (remember your settings here change back to it later) Restart your windows. Try install diablo 3 or patch up date with launcher again, and try repair tool in launcher.

8) If none of the above works, uninstall your firewall and antivirus. Restart computer, try install diablo 3 or patch up date with launcher again.

9) Uninstall diablo 3 and reinstall diablo 3 trying everything listed above.
Edited by Laine#1622 on 12/16/2012 6:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

4) Go microsoft website and update your windows and internet explorer, found out battlenet update use internet explorer for patch download.

Browser is irrelevant. I use Firefox. If it was relevant, they would tell you you must use EE. and not using it would interfere with launcher and patching.
And you're forgetting this issue is all of the sudden. One week ago all was well. heck 2 days ago all was well. All the sudden there's unplayable lag.
Reply Quote
Well for me this "lag" issue started RIGHT after patch 1.06.... I was hoping patch 1.06a was going to fix the lag - but it did not. It almost cannot be our fault for this issue. 500 hours playing, no problems. New patch - problems. unplayable :( need answers fast or even more people will leave but this time not because they dislike the game, but because they cannot play it. Sad.
Reply Quote

Browser is irrelevant. I use Firefox. If it was relevant, they would tell you you must use EE. and not using it would interfere with launcher and patching.
And you're forgetting this issue is all of the sudden. One week ago all was well. heck 2 days ago all was well. All the sudden there's unplayable lag.

This info i got from reading this forum saying battlenet servers use internet explorer as the default browser for patch download, rest of info from http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904620655 and other links in forum

When you try

7) Go Start menu, run, type in msconfig for windows xp or similar one in windows 7/8, go general, set selective startup, disable all items in start up. Go services, hide all microsoft services, disable all others (remember your settings here change back to it later) Restart your windows. Try install diablo 3 or patch up date with launcher again, and try repair tool in launcher.

Did you still get lag in diablo 3 with nothing running? Sometime the firewall/antivirus will restart itself even if u disable it on msconfig.

If you tried:

8) If none of the above works, uninstall your firewall and antivirus. Restart computer, try install diablo 3 or patch up date with launcher again.

Did you still get lag in diablo 3 with nothing running?

I think they changed something in 1.06 since I never had any problems until this patch too which caused me to waste 2 days to figure out how to fix it.
Edited by Laine#1622 on 12/15/2012 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
12/15/2012 04:02 AMPosted by TwistedM
Yeah, after much frustration the issue is still not resolved, but it now is pretty much clear that the issue is connection related.

Which Region are you playing on ?

The Americas region , Asia or Europe ?

Have you tried reproducing the issue on the Asia or Europe regions. Your toons are saved by Region so don't worry when you switch and your toons are gone. Your only going to play for as long as it takes to test if the issue comes up or not on those regions. Once you switch back

12/15/2012 04:02 AMPosted by TwistedM
I spoke to an ISP technician on the phone today, and even he could not get a stable connection, the trace route returned with timeouts all the way.

Which address was he doing a traceroute to ?

AFAIK There's two servers traffic is sent to in game. My research seems to suggest that one of these servers is both on a CDN local to the player as well as being pingable. If it's the one from the knowledge base on doing traceroutes (12.129.209.68) that one will be unpingable and hence can't be reached directly by a traceroute for security reasons.

Which part of the world are you playing from ?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
12/15/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Laine
This info i got from reading this forum saying battlenet servers use internet explorer as the default browser for patch download, rest of info from http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904620655 and other links in forum

I don't really like trying kitchen sink solutions. I'ld rather find out the root cause of the issue and try a few things to cut down on frustrations. IE A targeted method of diagnosing and solving and issue rather then a shotgun approach.

Anyway without doing a little bit of research myself I do believe the battle.net folder has Webkit libraries and Webkit is used not IE. What you've linked doesn't appear to have anything in it saying anything to do about internet explorer. It would only be relevant if the OP was still downloading the latest patch (ie streaming patch data in) and the patch was very large (like a GB or so)

You have me at a disadvantage tho - I'm currently at work so can't double check that myself. I don't know how big the last patch is or even if it's possible to play while still downloading.
Edited by Bluespacecow#1139 on 12/15/2012 9:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Which Region are you playing on ?

The Americas region , Asia or Europe ?

I am playing from Australia and playing on the Americas server. Will try to play on Europe to see if the lag persists.

12/15/2012 09:12 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
Which address was he doing a traceroute to ?

We both tried the knowledge base ip 12.129.209.68. What the hell is the purpose of putting that ip in there if it won't work? O_o

Some NEW Developments:
To completely eliminate the possibility that it's hardware related, I tried connecting through my mobile phone 3g tethering... Game was a little choppy at times by did not freeze!

So this is definitely a connection issue, but I doubt it is our ISP's or Modem's fault. My internet is blazing fast. I play BO2 with perfect ping and zero hicups. Speedtest returns great results, in speed and stability. And of course you can't discount the fact that all these "connection issues" magically came out with 1.06 patch. Blizzard's dodgy coding or their downgraded servers (dunno if this is true, heard a rumour) are conflicting with many perfectly good ISPs.
Edited by TwistedM#1167 on 12/15/2012 9:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
12/15/2012 09:31 PMPosted by TwistedM
I am playing from Australia and playing on the Americas server. Will try to play on Europe to see if the lag persists.

Did you switch to Google Open DNS to get past the recent error # 3007 for Australians ? Which ISP are you on ?

12/15/2012 09:31 PMPosted by TwistedM
We both tried the knowledge base ip 12.129.209.68. What the hell is the purpose of putting that ip in there if it won't work? O_o

That's only the game server. For some reason they don't list the depot server for some reason. Possibly because us.depot.battle.net maps to an IP address on a local CDN of which discussion of which would make the article too complicated.

Strangely enough you can ping us.depot.battle.net . Normally for Blizzard servers you can't - the theory going if you can ping something then you can possibly IP flood it. So Blizzard normally disable their internal servers beyond the gateway to their data centers from responding to pings. It's why you normally see rows of astericks beyond a certain point in the traceroute.

What results do you get back from a ping to us.depot.battle.net ?
Reply Quote
I have the exact same problem, have tried all suggested "solutions" and nothing works. I can't even do a 15 minute alkeizer run without two to three of these lag spikes. Please fix Blizzard!
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 12:16 AMPosted by NerdRage
I have the exact same problem, have tried all suggested "solutions" and nothing works. I can't even do a 15 minute alkeizer run without two to three of these lag spikes. Please fix Blizzard!

Hey here's another one sharing my experience!!
But but, Wait, I thought I was a " moron" and" it's on my end"?
Reply Quote
12/15/2012 10:12 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
Did you switch to Google Open DNS to get past the recent error # 3007 for Australians ? Which ISP are you on ?

Yes I did get the 3007 and switched to Google DNS servers to avoid it. However these particular lag spikes were occuring even before that. Also, since then I switched to my ISP's default DNS servers and I have no trouble logging in, however the Lag spiked at issue are still there.

12/15/2012 10:12 PMPosted by Bluspacecow
What results do you get back from a ping to us.depot.battle.net ?

Tracing route to gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net [68.232.45.253]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 85 ms 74 ms 127 ms 68.232.45.253

Trace complete.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
12/16/2012 01:23 AMPosted by TwistedM
Tracing route to gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net [68.232.45.253]

That's not a ping :(

ping us.depot.battle.net
Reply Quote
That's not a ping :(

ping us.depot.battle.net

Whoops, my bad.

Pinging site-rrc--grp-ldr--gc1.wpc.nossl.ms.na.att-acdn.net [12.120.152.128] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 12.120.152.128: bytes=32 time=219ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 12.120.152.128:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 219ms, Maximum = 219ms, Average = 219ms

Makes sense. My ping usually sits around 250. That's ofc until I start fighting an elite pack... That's when the S**t hits the fan and the ping suddenly becomes >1000
Edited by TwistedM#1167 on 12/16/2012 6:58 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]