Diablo® III

Finally! Paragon 100 -- No more Strafe!

...Now I can go back to a dps build. No more Ruby Gem, Hellfire ring, Leorics Signet, or Stone of Jordan to reduce my dps either.

It wasn't till around Paragon 70 (about half way timewise) that I hit the "groove." Here's what helped:

1. Lots of pickup radius. 30yds was perfect. Started with 14yds, and over time kept increasing it until at 30yds, never seemed to run out of Hatred anymore.

2. 400 All Resists. Sure I could survive with 250 but every 2 or 3 runs the right (BAD) combination of walls/jails/molten/chains would kill me with great annoyance.

3. Changing the Strafe rune occasionally to break up the boredom. Emberstrafe was my favorite.

4. Plenty of drinks & snacks on hand. Some days I had a cooler next to me so I wouldn't have to go to the refrigerator.

5. Didn't pick up yellows, except amulets and rings. Didn't loot ordinary chests.

6. Put Move and Strafe ability on the keyboard so I didn't have to mash the mouse button, just move the cursor.

7. And the absolute BEST thing I did was get out of my computer chair and move to my La-Z-Boy recliner near the TV. Put the monitor on a small table that my legs fit under. Put the keyboard/mouse on a small piece of plywood board placed on the armrests of the recliner.

Other notes:

From Paragon level 50 to 100, probably made close to a billion (1000 million) in gold picked up and items sold. Got the achievement for looting a complete IK set. Thank you Barbs for financing my Legacy Nats set which I bought tonight.

Keyboard: Bat Companion, SP/Nightbane, Strafe, Vault/Tumble
Mouse: Shuriken Cloud, Prep/Focused Mind.
Passives: Archery, Vengeance, Nightstalker
DPS: varied btwn 150 and 190 dps (paper) as I kept switching rings and radius and/or AR gear.
Follower: Templar/Inspire

Dropped the passive Tactical Advantage for Archery. Using TA did make the runs faster (less than 8 min each) but it was too hard to maintain that level of concentration more than 3 or 4 runs. So even though the run time increased to 10 or 11 minutes, it was now stress free so I could watch tv while playing.
Reply Quote
congratz on your achievement!

i do agree that Pickup radius is VERY important in every speed farming build but i think that much is redundant (altho when playing and watching TV at once it might be a good choice)
i myself have a VERY fast farming build, but i enjoy using the strafe build more since its an EZ mode skill and doesnt take much thinking while my BL build requires great consinctration that doesnt allow me over 4~5 consecutive good runs.

hope you have fun with the rest of you play, and GL =].
Reply Quote
u cant use BL and watch tv at the same time :)
Reply Quote
1 question. sorry that i might be a little slow. how did pick up radius help hatred regen?
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 07:43 AMPosted by Lyonnn
1 question. sorry that i might be a little slow. how did pick up radius help hatred regen?

Vengeance, doesn't need to run to all the health globes.
Reply Quote
Congratulations ! I gave up when I reached level 90, couldn't stand the XP runs any longer. Impressed by those who can !
Reply Quote
Congrats! That is one heck of an accomplishment!

MOMOZ, youre almost there yourself... and nice gear btw... Im slowly but surely working my way towards the 300k club. New pants and new chest with rad gems and 20 more paragon levels should get me there....
Reply Quote
gratz!

pickup radius ftw, I agree, around 30 is a nice point (got 35 now, but have the 49radius gear on-hand lol)

o/
Reply Quote

4. Plenty of drinks & snacks on hand. Some days I had a cooler next to me so I wouldn't have to go to the refrigerator.
cannot stress this enough people, there is no formula for a perfect blend of oreos and coffee, but more is always better

PS twinkies are discontinued, they are the new 08 valor
Edited by zoid#1554 on 12/10/2012 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 07:46 AMPosted by MOMOZ

Vengeance, doesn't need to run to all the health globes.

More specifically, as you're running through a large group of mobs, many die after you pass them -- dropping globes. If you don't have the radius to automatically pick them up, you would have to backtrack to pick them up, wasting a LOT of time or miss getting the 20 Hatred and 2 Disc per globe.

Perhaps 50 to 75 percent of the time -- after running through a large group of mobs -- Hatred and Disc would be full because of the globes picked up.
Reply Quote
Congratulation~~
BTW, Strafe or BL is better for exp farm? I realize most of the DHs use BL to lv instead of Straft.
Edited by Leonyy#6740 on 12/11/2012 12:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/10/2012 08:13 AMPosted by Rahan95
Congratulations ! I gave up when I reached level 90, couldn't stand the XP runs any longer. Impressed by those who can !

Lolz, I think I am going to give up at 80.
Reply Quote
I dont use drinks/ coffees as my passive coz i simply dont do 5runs straight a day lol
But it is essential to those who wanna reach 100 haha!

Congrats and ur suggesstion is very important! Im gonna get more pickup radius

My goal is to get 5 more level n reach lv50 by yr end
Reply Quote
Why SP-nightbane, and Prep-focused mind?

Why not just Prep-punishment?
Reply Quote

When you hit a certain point, your hatred hardly ever goes down :) If I am not mistaken, at 15 hatred per sec regen with 1.5 APS, you barely lose hatred. Globes pick up the slack.

Keep SP for steady life leech and hatred regen I will try it out!

*Opinion Alert*
This is great for Legacy Nats, but with current nats set and maybe 10-20 more from gear, you total about 60-70 disc, no need for focused mind (since you get less than your max anyway), you can go for Prep: Backup Plan or any other.
Reply Quote

My Disc pool is normally only 30 Disc. So two reasons:

1. Prep/punishment only works if you have the disc to cast it. Whenever I tried to use it -- based on my play style -- it was usually NOT available.

2. I keep SP/Nightbane (Lifesteal & 3 Hatred/sec) up the whole time when attacking mobs so that

---- a) there's enough hatred to Strafe nonstop in a large room/cavern or through a large group. Prep/Focused Mind gives 45 disc instead of just a refill of 30 disc to be able to keep popping SP.

---- b) I don't have to worry about whether the mobs are Reflect Dmg or not -- basically I forget about RF mobs when playing and just play. I only know they are RF when red dmg numbers pop up, but there's no impact on health so no worries.

While running to the next group, if the disc was less than 3/4 full, I'd cast Prep right away so that the cooldown would be reset in time to use it in the middle of the next fight. Similarly, if Hatred was low after a fight -- cast SP/Nightbane right away to fill it up before the next engagement.

Consider SP a Hatred generator and don't think about the lifesteal ability. You will find yourself using it more often and at times you wouldn't normally use it. But you'll be able to keep Strafing till the last monster dies.
Edited by Jamr#1438 on 12/13/2012 2:55 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 12:07 AMPosted by Leonyy
BTW, Strafe or BL is better for exp farm? I realize most of the DHs use BL to lv instead of Straft.

BL takes some concentration to play the game. IMO it's more tiring if you're gonna play several hours straight.

Strafe -- if you have enough dps -- is easy mode. You just have to move through the dungeon and not do much thinking or reacting. The most perplexing thing for me was -- when I got to a waypoint -- remembering or figuring out where I was in the route and where was I supposed to go next, because I hadn't been paying much attention to the game.

That's why I could watch TV -- or Netflix on the TV -- while leveling. And watching TV is what made the endless hours tolerable.

-- On Netflix I watched all the episodes of StarTrek TNG, ST Voyager, ST Enterprise, Psych, Drop Dead Diva, Monk, Stargate SG-1, Medium, Dexter, Weeds, and a bunch of old movies I always meant to watch but never had the TIME lol !
Reply Quote
[quote="73824842208"]The most perplexing thing for me was -- when I got to a waypoint -- remembering or figuring out where I was in the route and where was I supposed to go next, because I hadn't been paying much attention to the game.

lol, same
Reply Quote
Congratulations Jamr!

I'm planning to paragon level my DH once I'm done with my wizard. I really miss playing my DH a lot. I would appreciate if someone could offer me advice on gear changes or anything else. Naturally I would like to keep costs as low as possible since the DH isn't my main. Though I would like to properly gear her up if and when I have tonnes of gold (which unfortunately I don't atm), I could spend about 40mil on her if necessary.

My current plans are to:
1. Get more pickup radius as OP suggested. Probably can't reach 30 but I'm aiming for 20 at least.
2. Get more CHC - Nat's sight and bracers.
3. Try to roll a more DPSier HF ring.

On my wiz, I find that I need about 100k dps minimum to clear mobs at a decent pace at 0mp in act 3. I could put 2 radiant star emeralds on my manticore (found it so it isn't the best). Won't be enough to even hit 100k what more the 150k OP suggested though so maybe I should use sharpshooter instead of Nightstalker since I have quite a bit discipline?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I haven't tested your build yet though which I probably should to have a better idea of what I need.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]