Diablo® III

Pimp Your Monk: FREE Holiday Service

Hey Scrapz, I'd appreciate if you'd take a look at monk and see what would be the one piece I should upgrade next? A bunch of peeps keep saying "inna's pants", but I just don't think I can afford to lose 120 Resist All and like 7500 Life for 12% Movement speed and like 4k dps. I got 50m to spend right now, and don't mind if I have to continue to save up, I"m just absolutely lost on what would be the best, most important thing for me to upgrade next.
Reply Quote
Hi....

I would like to join ... cuz i am starting fresh with MONK ... LuckyBoy #6791 = budget 200k for now got hack >.<
Reply Quote
Typed up some responses while the forums were down.

LEFTBALL:
Rainbow Monk: Too may different resist. OWE works by adding your HIGHEST resist (fire in your case) and all resist. I'm surprised you made it to paragon 16 in that state=X

With your budget, rares would have been a much better choice when gearing up. Why?

Belt - This probably cost you a few mil. With >1m you coulda of had a 100+dex/100vit+/double resist 100+ belt which would have helped your surviabilty much more.
Shoulders - Has no vitality. Could have a comparable rare /w same stats + vitality for >2m.
Nats Combo - probably ran you over 20m for the combo.. An entire comparable dps/better overall build could have been built using the budget for these.

My advice, sell of the nat's combo, belt and regear from scratch.

PHAM:
You're going to have to regear. The problem is you would lose DPS regearing to a balanced monk. You have too much vitality stacked on your weapons. Never look for vitality on a weapon, only as a added bonus. You drop to 678 if you change both your weapons.

Your ammy is buff, but no vit.
Same with your belt.
Pants: Inna's /w 160+vitality will give you bettter ehp and free some slots up for you. 40+ mil I bought mine on bid a long time ago for 78m.
Helm - can easily get up to 80 vitality from a inna's and double resist. I like your pickup radius, so it's a tough call whether or not you should drop this slot.
Shoulders - Vit > Life. 5 percent of 678 vitality is 1186.5hp = 30 Vitality. Under 50m should land you a double resist, 70+ vit and >200dex.
Ring: I'm sure you have a better ring then your hellfire in your stash.
Weapons: Should have dex since dex scales up your damage, defense, and dodge.
A 1000+Dps 1.2APS weapon /w 100dex/socket/ls should give you about a 4k dps gain over your OF.

ORION:
Better diversificaton of vitality across your gear. Vitality too heavily stacked on certain pieces.

Priority of replacement:
Bracers: This needs replacing bad.. You can stack at least 100 resist in this slot. Once you fix this, you can change other pieces. Splurge in this slot, you'll be keeping it for a while.
Boots: If you aren't planning on going nat's set then upgrades your boots..needs vitality on them, should have at least 240 dex for a rare boot. Once this slot frees up you can fix your ammy
Ammy: Too much vitality on them, not enough CD. Ammys roll the 100CD and 10CC. Maximize your dps from this slot.
Helm: Needs crit. Vitality > Life the majority of the times . Mempo's are engamer's gear, without crit they're useless IMO. You'd be better off with a dual resist innas or if you really want the ias, Andys helm /w socket since you're poison stacking.
Belt: Not enough resistance, can easily get over 110 from this slot.
Hands: Once you fix the resist issue with your belt, you can focus more on DPS in this slot. Trifecta

HYDRE:
I don't know EU prices but simple fixes could improve your mitigation. Vit and resist seem a little low.

Ammy: No stats. A 100dex/6.5CC/50CD will produce the same damage. Strive to get something with 100 dex/ 80 vit / single resist/ 7+CC / 50CD.
Bracers: Crit/Vit too low. minimum of 4.5 CC from this slot. Could use more vitality and 110+ resistance
Pants: No resist. The same pants with 45+ resist can be had for 2.5m. That extra 40 dex isnt worth losing 45 resist IMO.
Boots: Same goes for your boots. Nat boots under 200 dex can roll a single resist, nats over 200 dex can roll vitality. >200 dex and resist is the better budget choice.

STARWULF:
Needs more vitality. As stated with others, try and diversify your stats amongst your gear so you are never forced into finding a piece with XXX when upgrading.
You have a few pieces with the wrong resistance + some pieces with no resistance.. I try to make it a minimum of 40 per slot.

Resistance > armor IMO. I don't know what it is your EHP is but for me:
+1 armor = 107 EHP
+1 resistance = 875 EHP
Take your ammy for example, 257 armorx 107 = 27499 EHP. If you were to get 40 resist x875 = 35000 EHP.

Ammy - I would upgrade this first. Missing vitality and a single resist. You may end up losing dps but gain alore more overall EHP allowing you to drop your pants and get inna's down the line.
Shouulders - Could pick up a extra 40 resist there.
Belt - Needs vitality
Rare Ring - Trifecta's aren't always good and thats a bad one. Not because it doesn't give you massive DPS but because the crit chance is so low. Monks are very reliant on crit. Could pick up some resistance/vit in this slot when you upgrade
Gloves - Time for a trifecta. This is a DPS slot, so I wouldn't be too concerned about getting double resist or resist + vit. You're at 60 RA on this slot, you can drop to 45+ for a single resist instead..
Reply Quote
I am very interested in this :) I will add you for sure.
Reply Quote
Scrapz, I only want advise as there are others who need more help than me. So what do you recommend for me? (right now I do mp4 without much problem, but mp5 gets me with rd and molten elites)
Reply Quote
Scrapz... just wanna give you huge props for what you are doing with this thread. Not that you need me to say this, but your advice is sound, to the point (I wished that I could do it as concisely as you have been) and hopefully a wake-up call to those that read this.

I hope that people who read what you write actually take it seriously instead of looking around for an "easy way out" (or think that they can "legendary" themselves out) of the jams that they find themselves in.

Nothing more to add. You rock, dude.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 12/11/2012 11:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Christmas has come early this year, thanks to Scrapzy Claus!
Reply Quote
Hi Scrapz,

How long are you going to be running your service for? I'm currently trying to save a bundle of gold prior to picking up better pieces. I'm currently sitting at a low of 46k DPS, one day to achieve my dream of 100k+.

I currently have no where near what these other guys may have to offer in terms of gold, but I would greatly appreciate it if you give me a response as to what I should be upgrading next, what stats to look for in that gear spot(s).

I'm running a dual wield build, with no AS atm. Ideally, I would imagine most of my pieces to have AS included near future. All in all, I just want to achieve that powerhouse monk, pure offensive and agile. Defensive stats are not to be ignored.

Any advice/suggestions?
Reply Quote
Hi Scrapz,
I could really use your help with gearing choices.

Right now I'm using a one hander with LoH and a dps shield. Many of my pieces have LPS for a little over 1k and I have 717 Resist All and 30k health, with only about 24k dps.

I am playing Act1 Inferno at MP1 just up to and into the crypts in the graveyard for chances on better gear drops, but it can get pretty close on some Elite packs with my gear.

I only have about 2 million, so my budget is super limited and I find it hard to get decent gear on the AH for upgrades although I am pretty noob in general.

Thanks a bunch for the advice and service!

Tracker#1972 - Doomsday - 2 million
Edited by Tracker#1972 on 12/11/2012 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Haha I hope I'm not too late Scrapz but I just got my monk to 60 and I'd love to go into higher mp's prepared. I know you have a long line of people waiting but just wondering if you could pimp me out.
Beyonso - itsTimmay#1867 - 25 mil.
I have bit more but I'd like money for gems and some spare cash.
If you could I'd like something along the lines of
60k DPS
35k hp without gem
5 LS
2 APS
40CC
300 CD
500 resists or a single one is fine.
Reply Quote
@scrapz
I read your posts and my heart grew three sizes that day.
Seriously, awesome of you to give your time and gold to the community.

@itsTimmay
You can do much better than that for 25m. Much better. For example I have a set in my stash that I think is about:
60K DPS / 6000 Armor / 650 AR / 40K Life / 5.5% LS

I'm going by memory, but that's a rough estimate of what the set has, although it might be lower for a Monk who's not in paragon 40s. I'm actually not sure how much it's worth, but I think it's less than 10m. Anyway, it's yours if you want it. I'm usually on pretty late EST on weeknights. Hit me up with a friend request and if we cross paths in the next few days, you can have it. Save the 25m for upgrades and when you get a better feel for what you need.
Reply Quote
@scrapz
I read your posts and my heart grew three sizes that day.
Seriously, awesome of you to give your time and gold to the community.

@itsTimmay
You can do much better than that for 25m. Much better. For example I have a set in my stash that I think is about:
60K DPS / 6000 Armor / 650 AR / 40K Life / 5.5% LS

I'm going by memory, but that's a rough estimate of what the set has, although it might be lower for a Monk who's not in paragon 40s. I'm actually not sure how much it's worth, but I think it's less than 10m. Anyway, it's yours if you want it. I'm usually on pretty late EST on weeknights. Hit me up with a friend request and if we cross paths in the next few days, you can have it. Save the 25m for upgrades and when you get a better feel for what you need.

I don't even have anywhere close 2m and I refuse to sell my alts gear. That's just not how I play. 2m being the least amount requested by Scrapz. I'll be happy to have that set off your hands Demiwraith. :)

Edit: Or which ever pieces that may fill as an upgrade.
Edited by Aesza#1783 on 12/11/2012 1:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
Scrappy Clauz!

I added you but I'm an old old man and I probably was fast asleep by the time you logged on. Anyway, if you still have any energy left, or inclination for providing suggestions I'd definitely appreciate it!

I've actually learned a lot already just by reading your responses to other folks. Awesome work. :)
Reply Quote
I was trying to reply but server was down the whole time...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hosing-1356/hero/25281062
I haz 79m. Right now I also have alk gear on... So I am grinding for exp/items/gold
Reply Quote
Wow thank you very much. I'd love to buy it could you tell me what the crit chance and damage is?
Reply Quote
2. Aki - Aki95#6246 - 600mil ( will be in roughly 2-3 days time ) Playing from Singapore so i have no idea when is 6pm-1am your time
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 02:14 PMPosted by itsTimmay
Wow thank you very much. I'd love to buy it could you tell me what the crit chance and damage is?

No idea what the Crit Chance or Crit Damage is. I think it's around 60K DPS total. CC and CD are always already factored into that number. Especially at lower DPS, they are generally not too relevant, assuming you have sufficient CC to get up your Sweeping Winds. (IMHO)

(When PvP comes, this may change)
Reply Quote
SILVERALEX:

Overall your setup is good. With dual LS weapons, you shouldn't be dying to reflect packs. Might be a problem with your gameplay style. Either improper timing of serenity or you're not stopping your attacks and moving when you're suppose to.

Your resist are too low, try to hit 600-650..
No slot should ever not have dex in it. DEX = dmg, dodge, armor, etc.

Rings + Ammy = You stacked a !@#$ ton of dps modifiers on these slots and you will LOSE dps.

Ammy - At least this has vit so I would concentrate on fixing your rings first. Actually I think you bought my old amulet, was it 14-19m?

Rings = Needs dex. you WILL lose dps in this slot unless you can find afford a nice trifecta dex ring.. from my calculations, if you go with a 50dex/7ias/4.0crit you'll lose about 10k dps... Gotta ask yourself, is it worth losing 10k dps for a possibly 80 resist.

Shoulders - When you can, upgrade these to at least 40+ your resist and 50+ vitality.

Aesza:

I'll be running this until Christmas. When it comes time and you have a budget I can work with, I'll be more then happy to help u gear up. With your 2m budget, can't see upgrading much.

Your chest would be the first place to replace. 120dex/120vitality/3sockets/50 resist can be had for >500k all day..

Here is a budget build I threw together real quick. It's a good base for you to copy.
http://d3up.com/b/175430

Quick Advice for budget builds
1. Get natural crit on your weapons, not gems. Gems are for ballers

A dex/socketed/lifesteal weapon with 900+ dps will cost u 1-2m..
A 90 percent crit gem will cost you 6m..
A 900+ dps weapon/dex/ls/ NATURAL 90+ crit will cost u 500k-1.5m for the weapon..

So what would you like to spend, 7m on a weapon set or 500k - 1.5 for a comparable weapon?

2. get at least 6 pickup radius - it allows u to facetank even in mp10 because you'll be picking up health globes without moving.
3. get to at least 2.0 APS - more hits = more life steal = more damage = faster spirit.
4. Maximize your crit chance
5. Try to hit at least 600 resist /w 38k+ hp

TRACKER:

You're playing hardcore so I can't give you good advice since it's a completely different ball game.

If I had to guess:
1. Defense first, dps second.
2. Double stack resist like a madman
3. Since LOW dps setup's do not benefit from LS. LOH is the better choice atm. LOH scales with attack speed, I would try to get as much IAS gear possible.
4. Transcendce, I'm guessing you're using this to sustain by spamming your mantra.. Upping your IAS will allow you to generate faster therefore allowing you to heal faster.
5. STI > Resolve. Since the 25 percent reduction works only on the enemies you hit, it does not work against against randged and elemental damage. Constant mitigation from armor > possible mitigation always, especially if you're low hp and running away from something you cant hit.
6. Dashing Strike, not sure why you're using this, maybe to escape bad situations? If you're powerlvling in a3, I would use a ally instead.. They were what I used during a3 inferno 1.0, they were extremely useful for tanking..
7. Sweeping winds for Deadly reach + foresight. With HC. Defense > Offense. Using your ally + deadly reach allows you a safe distance to attack.

Again, I'm not a pro at HC but that would be what I would do in your current gearset.
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 12/11/2012 3:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
EARMUFFS:

Sure, just msg me when you see me on and actually playing.

HOSING:

What is your goal? It's kind of hard to give advice if the correct gear isn't displayed. I know im my mp1 grinding gear I only have 200 resist and a !@#$ ton of IAS..

1. Bracers - I hate lacunis for monks. HATE HATE HATE. You have a choice of 3 stats. Everyone wants Primary/Resistance/crit, but those are a arm and a leg.. Even if you were able to get the perfect roll, IMO they still suck. They drop way too much EHP for a negligble increase in dps.

Perfect Lacuni ($$$$) - 100 dex/60resist/9IAS/ 6CC - Would give you +4000dps - 40k EHP
Abundant Rare - 150dex/6CC/90resist/80vit would give you the same dps as you have + 120-160K EHP
DEAD MEN DO NO DPS

Rare Vs Lacuni
1. Dex
Rare can roll up to 200..
Lacunis, the majority of the time roll >100. The #1 lacuni's in america rolled 98 dex.. -_- *facepalm*
2. Resistance
Lacunis roll 80 RA ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) or 60 single resist..
Rares roll double resist with a total up to 140....
3. Vitality
Rares can roll up to 200 Vitality..
Lacuni roll 0 or >100 vitality.. You have only 3 random stats so you dont get this stat.
4. Crit Chance..
Both roll up to 6 but again $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

2. Rings - Needs dex
3. Ammy - Needs Crit Chance/vit/resist

AKI95:

OOOHH, 600 million to play with. I'd be game to pimp your monk. I'm on PST, California. Best would be the weekends, Saturday or Sunday. I'm usually on all days..

DEMIWRATH:

Thanks man! I genuinely enjoy doing it and helping the community. It's a great way to pass time at work too lol.

I see that you're giving away a set too, props to you man!
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 12/11/2012 3:32 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]