Diablo® III

Almost 50, Need WD build/gear advice

So I just hit 45 on my WD and I'll be hitting 50 in a few hours. As we all know, 50 unlocks Hell difficulty and I have some questions:

What abilities should I use to make my life easier aside from the more obvious choices(Spirit Walk w/ Jaunt, Grasp of the Dead, Spirit Vessel)?
What should I look for on gear aside from vitality/intellect?
Any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
I just picked up a pretty dope 600dps 1h'er for level 50 so I'm good there. Should I look for any secondary stats such as life regen or pickup radius?
Edited by Denjiki#1268 on 12/10/2012 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
What style are you looking to run? That is probably the most important question before dishing out advice.
Reply Quote
Well, the not die style. lol. Nah, I'd likely go for the up-in-your-face model because I'm so used to being right in the fray.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
2H or 1H + mojo? That difference can lead to vastly different play styles. For example since lvl 30 or so I have used a primary attack.

Next question you need to ask is whether you will make a build utilizing pickup radius +, which you want for blood ritual, grave injustice or gruesome feast.

Probably the next question is how you want to keep your life up, whether going with life on hit and some classic LOH procing skills (rain of toads, acid cloud etc.) or approaching it from a different angle, life regen or +globe health, or some combo. You can never have too much health.

Start from there and then as you tweak your gear you can pick skills and passives that suit your playstyle and gear.
Reply Quote
Also grasp of the dead is not really considered an obvious choice, though it is a great ability.

Must haves would probably be spirit vessel, spirit walk and the garg.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you want to be "in your face" I would use a build similar to mine, but a tad more offensively geared:

Actives
Rain of Toads
Zombie Bears
Soul Harvest - Siphon Life or Swallow Your Soul
Spirit Walk - Jaunt
Zombie Dogs- Burning or Life Leech
Garg - Reckless or Humongoid

Passives
Jungle Fortitude or Bad Medicine (if choosing this I would change Garg to Stinker)
Blood Ritual or Grave Injustice
Spirit Vessel

I would combine a decent LoH (500-800) with so/so Life Regen (400-700). Between the two and siphon life you should be fairly tanky while keeping good DPS number. Once you reach the lower limits of LoH and LR pick he one you think is doing "better" and begin to scale gear from there. As you can see I use Life Regen and Life from Leeching Beasts (w/ thorns) for my life recovery. Alwayshave 2 sources of life regen (lifesteal, LoH, life regen, other) so that you do not rely on one form or the other too heavily (learned that the hard way early in this games life)

:Legal: Merely suggestions, hatred of choices will vary by your craziness level, some restrictions may apply. See gear for details on how your mileage may vary =p
Reply Quote
I personally don't find rain of toads to be that great against mobs that flee. It stresses me to no end. That's why I use firebomb, haven't figured out what rune yet.
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 12:11 PMPosted by mudrunner
2H or 1H + mojo? That difference can lead to vastly different play styles. For example since lvl 30 or so I have used a primary attack.

Well what are the main differences between choosing a dagger/mojo or a 2h'er? I know a 2h is likely going to give me more dps but a dagger/mojo combo is gonna give me more utility.

12/11/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Lykotic
I would combine a decent LoH (500-800) with so/so Life Regen (400-700). Between the two and siphon life you should be fairly tanky while keeping good DPS number. Once you reach the lower limits of LoH and LR pick he one you think is doing "better" and begin to scale gear from there. As you can see I use Life Regen and Life from Leeching Beasts (w/ thorns) for my life recovery. Alwayshave 2 sources of life regen (lifesteal, LoH, life regen, other) so that you do not rely on one form or the other too heavily (learned that the hard way early in this games life)

Which seems to offer more survivabilty and tends to be more wallet friendly? I'm assuming that LOH is gonna be nice because of the constant damage a WD offers like a CM Wiz does. On the other hand, life regen seems really good for those "Oh !@#$, gotta run" situations. Lastly, health glose seems like a great choice because they help me save my potions for those seriously close moments.

One more thing: Which is better- an Acid Cloud build or a Zombie Bears build?
Reply Quote
View profile
12/11/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Denjiki
Which seems to offer more survivabilty and tends to be more wallet friendly?

LoH tends to escalate the price on rings, amulets, and weapons fairly rapidly, but... with one lucky drop price no longer matters (as much...)

astly, health glose seems like a great choice because they help me save my potions for those seriously close moments.

Problem with health globes though are they are not there when you need them. You could fix this though by running sacrifice into the build and doing "Last Gift" Zombie Dogs and running Sacrifice in place of Soul Harvest and run "Provoke the Pack" rune for sacrifice. If you choose to do a sacrifice style though, it requires a great deal of thought. The most important o fwhich do you want Sacrifice to be a primary attack (2H) or a support to your main attacks (1H + mojo, imo)

Acid Cloud build or a Zombie Bears build?

Different is different =p

Acid cloud allows for you to hit targets at a safer distance and tends ot be a tad better for prolonged fights (Lob Blob Bomb only). However, Acid cloud lacks the punch that Zombie Bears can put out. When using Acid Cloud I tend to use either Slow Burn/Acid Rain or Corpse Explosion. Lastly Acid Cloud is extremely efficient way to proc LoH whereas ZB barely procs it at all.

Well what are the main differences between choosing a dagger/mojo or a 2h'er?

2H: Higher DPS, Better for DoT attacks, better crit damage potential, usually better Int + Vit raw numbers (so, 500 (Int + Vit) vs. 400 (Int + Vit). Cheaper (until Scorn), better lifesteal potential (5% vs 3%)

1H + mojo: Faster attack, so better for LoH & primary skills, 2 pieces to customize, higher crit chance potential (0 vs. 9.5%), less stressful style (for me at least) when using bears.

1H + shield: Better defense
Edited by Lykotic#1869 on 12/11/2012 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
12/11/2012 12:34 PMPosted by JoesGetNDown
I personally don't find rain of toads to be that great against mobs that flee. It stresses me to no end. That's why I use firebomb, haven't figured out what rune yet.

I am not a big fan of Rain of Toads, which is why I use spiders... also for runes for firebomb I personally like Flash Fire and Ghost Bomb (?) the best
Reply Quote
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r509/SamChowders/31685393.jpg
Reply Quote
Which is better- an Acid Cloud build or a Zombie Bears build?

Everything Lykotic said about this question is 100% spot on. I just wanted to add that if you're on a budget, it may be safer to go with acid cloud until you've farmed some gold/gear.

My WD was my first HC character (and I don't do the gold transfer stuff). I stuck with a pure long range build of acid cloud/haunt/spiders for a long time. I found that it was an extremely safe way to farm A3. Other folks would use Soul Harvest instead of Haunt - and that's a legit choice - but I wanted to stay far away at all times.

I've since switched to bears, and I can farm way faster (and I find it more fun). It's a more dangerous build, though, because you have to get right in the middle of everything. I had good life regen and pickup radius before I switched builds - otherwise I probably would've stayed long-range.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
check out my thread on some fun builds for new and old WD looking to faceroll and still live!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7273268556
Edited by Holyoke#1327 on 12/11/2012 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
For now I'm gonna go with the Acid Cloud build. Provides distance for safety and it seems to put out a fair amount of damage. When I hit 60(just hit 54) and buy my gear, I figure I'll shoot for 600-800 life regen and 400-500 life on hit. That is, if I can afford it. I imagine I'll be difficult to kill and I'll be able to get to Inferno in a quick fashion.
Reply Quote
I was previously leveling with the OP with my WD. I happen to like the Acid rain cloud.... thing. It's great that LoH procs well off of that, since LoH works better with lower dps anyways.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]