Diablo® III

Memoirs of an HC purist

I decided, after much research, that HC was the way I wanted to play the game. The fear of loss, anxiety facing a new boss, the thrill of near death experiences. It was the most intense way to experience the game! I'd levelled 3 toons to 60 in SC, 2 of which were done with XP gear and plenty of AH gear, which definitely made the journey fast and effortless. I didn't want to "cheat myself" out of the experience so I planned to roll my first HC toon totally self-found.

I rolled up my class of choice (barbarian) and off I went! I decided after blazing through the first boss that I'd set the difficulty to MP3 just to give myself more of a challenge. Even so it seemed to be no more difficult than playing SC leaving me feeling no fear of loss at all. I continued playing the way I would in SC and finally died the first time at level 27 to Belial on MP3. I died due to lack of respect for Belial's abilities and because I really didn't think I could die.

So I decided to re-roll a monk (a class I'd never played before) on MP10 to give myself even more of a challenge! I wanted more of the HC experience I was expecting. That toon lasted only until level 7 when she died to an elite pack right outside of New Tristram.

I enjoyed playing a monk enough that I rolled another one. I decided MP10 self-found was pretty damn tough so I backed it up to MP3 again. I'm still playing this toon now. I'm up to level 42, NM Act 2, with Maghda down thus far.

So I've been doing some thinking. About HC, about self-found, and then it hit me: playing self-found is actually ROBBING me of my HC experience!

HC is all about fear of loss right? Fear of losing a character I've invested 200+ hours in and tons of gold in gear and such right? Well what do I have to fear? My gear is junk I crafted or bought from a vendor. My 42 levels can be re-rolled and recouped (with help from a friend) in a couple of hours. There's no fear of loss there...THAT'S why I've been playing just like I would on SC...

I will continue to play self-found despite this revelation just so I can say I made it to 60 the hard way...but NEVER again! HC is about fear of loss...so the game really doesn't begin until level 60!
Edited by Zaknaril#1820 on 12/11/2012 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Looks like you are playing it for the wrong reasons.

Reading your last three paragraphs, it actually sounds horrendous to play.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't use the AH.
Reply Quote
I haven't even started one, though I plan to, but it seems like you are forgetting that a self found level 42 is way more valuable than a power leveled and/or auction house gem leveled 42.

Because like you said, HC is about the fear of loss. You lose only what you put into a character, whether it be by time or gold.

Anyways, regular or purist the only ones who really aren't getting the HC experience are those who lean heavily on friends for gearing and leveling or those who transfer money over from SC, and even the SC gold lose can debatedly count.

You need to think things over again Zak, and remember that gear, gold, points, coins, rings or whatever are really just accumulated experiences. You never really lose them.
Reply Quote
12/11/2012 01:31 PMPosted by Zaknaril
So I've been doing some thinking. About HC, about self-found, and then it hit me: playing self-found is actually ROBBING me of my HC experience!

Nah.

If you're having fun playing HC self found, then you would be robbing yourself of your HC experience by playing any other way.

I don't think there's a single objective 'HC way', other than playing with the 'you die, you dead' requirement. Some people have their fun self-found. Some people have their fun going full blown no-vendor, no-blacksmith, no-ah purist. Some people have it getting power leveled and starting at 60. Sooner or later I'm going to get back to that char on my eu account that's set up for a no-vendor, no-blacksmith, no-ah, no-repeating-content MP-10 run (I expect to die, the challenge is in how far I can get).

Losing a purist character w/ 70 hours self-found can be just as much of a loss as losing a 500 hour 60, depending on how you yourself view it.

How you want to HC is really up to you, and if anybody else doesn't like it, well, they're not you.
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 12/11/2012 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
Some good insight, thanks for these posts, and I have been enjoying playing self-found for my own gratification. I'd like to be able to say I did it.

@Anomie - let me know when you want to do that because I would love to do it again. No vendor, no blacksmith, sounds brutal though...I LIKE IT!

I'll probably get this monk to 60 and then roll up a new barb. I played my SC barb last night for a few minutes and forgot how much fun it is to WW clear VoA in about 7 minutes!
Reply Quote

@Anomie - let me know when you want to do that because I would love to do it again. No vendor, no blacksmith, sounds brutal though...I LIKE IT!

The really hard bit there is the 'no repeating content' - which will likely mean I'm going to be geared so terribly it won't even be funny. I might not make it past the butcher :)

But then again, I've starved to death with the ironman flag (no scroll of recall, no up staircases) on in angband enough that I feel like I'm going to try it, sooner or later, no matter what ...
Edited by Anomie#1322 on 12/11/2012 3:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
HC is all about fear of loss right? Fear of losing a character I've invested 200+ hours in and tons of gold in gear and such right? Well what do I have to fear? My gear is junk I crafted or bought from a vendor. My 42 levels can be re-rolled and recouped (with help from a friend) in a couple of hours. There's no fear of loss there...THAT'S why I've been playing just like I would on SC...

You have to play the game however you feel comfortable. You think having better/uber gear will make you play more fearful? A couple of nights ago, when we did a nm act 1, I thought you were taking way too many chances. A couple of times my squishy wiz almost bit it, and you had a close call too. It seemed to me you were in a rush to get a lvl 60 char.

I don`t think you have as of yet fully shifted from sc mode. Instead of speeding up and talking of rerolling a char in a couple of hours....slow down. Hc is a patient journey. Self-found hc is even a slower ride. Enjoy the trip & smell the daisies.
Reply Quote
@twasbrillig - yeah I could tell you weren't happy with the way things were going. My style is pretty straightforward so I don't really kite much or anything like that. I am playing with a LOT more patience than normal. If I really wanted a 60 as quickly as possible I definitely would already be there. I think I'm used to playing melee toons that run into battle and have those close calls a lot more than you. You (and Anomie who also commented on this) are used to ranged (squishy) classes. So it would probably seem insane!

What I meant by what I said in the part about fear of loss is that I don't have much to lose when I'm level 42 and have a bunch of crap gear. I said that if I wanted to I could reroll and be back to 42 (or 60) in a couple of hours. Obviously that wouldn't be self-found. It would be powerleveled with help. I am not doing that nor will I. I was just saying I could. I've already logged more hours in this level 42 monk than I have on a level 60 DH in SC that's fully cleared the game (using a HF ring and Cain's set).

When I am not playing with anyone else I go through every area, clearing every nook and cranny. When I am in a group I tend to be a little more focused just because I don't want to bore anyone with my "poking around". I even quit picking up whites while playing with you twasbrillig because I felt like I was wasting your time going back to town every few minutes (which I normally do).

Hopefully you'll still run with me even though I'm dangerous :)
Reply Quote
When I am not playing with anyone else I go through every area, clearing every nook and cranny. When I am in a group I tend to be a little more focused just because I don't want to bore anyone with my "poking around". I even quit picking up whites while playing with you twasbrillig because I felt like I was wasting your time going back to town every few minutes (which I normally do).

Hopefully you'll still run with me even though I'm dangerous :)

I poke too. I kill everything & open every chest. And yes..much of my time is spent kiting & I like ranged fighters. Pick up the whites, am never in a rush. But let's not get separated again & work together as a team.

Am happy to run with you Zak....anytime & will have your back 100%.
Reply Quote
So twasbrillig and I ran this morning, Archives of ZK, on MP3...

I've come to the conclusion that MP3, as you start to get further in NM and Hell, is just too hard when you're wearing all self-found gear. We had some CLOSE calls there!

There was one instance where my health globe looked empty...I must have had like 5 HP left or something! If a monster would have just farted in my general direction I would have died LOL

I'm level 45 now and I'd like to live to see 46 so no more MP3!
Reply Quote

I will continue to play self-found despite this revelation just so I can say I made it to 60 the hard way...but NEVER again! HC is about fear of loss...so the game really doesn't begin until level 60!

I agree with this point. I recently started a 4 man MP10 purist run with some friends. We ran MP10 pure (self-found/crafted) until low 50's without a death. I had IRL obligations and fell 5-6 levels behind. The next day i find out that (our damage dealer) our WD died. Though this is sad that the run failed before all 4 of us reached 60 - i am sorta happy. It wasnt fun, i had no fear of dying, no threat of losing anything of value. Though it was a unique challenge, as stated above, it did not have the HC experience that i grew to love (and expect from NDE's).
Edited by TheSherm#1885 on 12/12/2012 9:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
Haven't really done a self-found character since mp levels came into play, but I couldn't imagine bumping up further than mp1 in nightmare. Kudos.

Sounds like you are having fun. Close calls are great. Every close call I get into reinforces my thoughts on strong efficiency. For me, the goal of HC isn't to play it safe. It's to not die. I'm always in a rush though.
Reply Quote
Yeah we had a pack of those fire mage things that just normally shoot the fire out that stays on the ground for a while, on top of that they were illusionists and desecrator, so they were putting double fire EVERYWHERE...we had to kite them all the way back to the beginning of the level LOL

twasbrillig was playing his DH and that ended up saving us because he'd drop sentry guns and we'd kite....and kite...

It was intense!
Reply Quote
I cleared A2 tonight on MP0. Belial was a pushover...I kinda wish I had left it on MP1 or something just to keep it interesting...

Anyway on to A3!
Reply Quote
So do self founds have a problem with being power leveled to 60 by AH trolls?
Reply Quote
Level 48 now, Ghom down, got to craft a nice sword and the next level of gems so my gear is actually looking pretty decent for once. I still need upgrades but it doesn't feel like I'm so weak now. Headed across the bridge...!
Reply Quote
Level 51 now. Diablo dead, Hellward bound, 60 here I come!
Edited by Zaknaril#1820 on 12/17/2012 7:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Best be careful.

At least you got past the A4 KW.

I was fighting him yesterday at level 51. All was fine, I was weary, then life drain messed me up. I was lucky enough to run back to the portal.

Checked my life when I was safe. It was at 125 out of 20k+
Reply Quote
Level 53, Skeleton King down, so far so good...
Reply Quote
Grats Zak!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]