Diablo® III

Disappointing Blue Posts

Lylirra, I appreciate your efforts to try and deal with some of these ignorant posters, but some people will complain no matter what you guys do. They only remember things like 100 threads about bots ruining the game without a blue response and "forget" the countless times Blizzard has replied to popular threads that lead to major game play changes.
Community Manager
"How do you think we could improve?"

As if we are working for Blizzard....
we paid to play the game....not make the game

You want us to listen to your feedback, but only if we don't ask for it?
(Also, just to be very clear: CMs are not developers.)

I wish I could help you guys in my free time. I like programming things and tinkering with equations and formulas. Unfortunately, my primary programming language is Matlab (if that is even considered a language since I'm a mathematician lol) and I would guess the developers use C++ or Java.

Overall, I find the community managers relatively helpful. Sure there are things they can do better but they don't know everything or even as much as the developers. I'm sure they will let the general player base know facts as soon as they know them (as they have been)! Keep up the good work.
Edited by Iria#1342 on 12/12/2012 10:24 PM PST
Community Manager
All boils don't to finding a source to vent, and sadly Jay has the name big enough to take it.
Because he's the hero we deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it.

Awesome. I just inhaled hot coffee because of this. It burns.

In all seriousness, though, good feedback all around.
View profile
It's my last post for the night as I don't really see this going anywhere good. I just think, once a week, the CMs should take the top one or two questions or issues plastered all over these forums to a dev and then provide that feedback back towards the players. Like i said, it should be a 2 way street. I think that's one simple way of improving things. It would be cool if the players could vote on whats being ask. Kinda like a weekly event.
86 Orc Warrior
12/12/2012 10:18 PMPosted by Mamif
True Randomly generated world
The idea of having the same world over and over was to find the dungeon faster, so you could make faster runs :)
Lylirra you guys are doing a great job, I personally find the info CMs put out to be helpful and informative. Its also cool to hear all the other stuff OP was whining about you guys posting (about cats and gameplay or something), it shows you guys play the game and enjoy being active on the forums. Most of these complaints are just from keyboard warriors who are frustrated from a session on d3, maybe they did a run with out seeing a legendary drop or died in HC.
Hey Lylirra, what you think about that only BOTs are playing in pub game (you know monk bot).
I know you guys making effort to get rid of that problem. But nothing changed.
Item's and Gold's worth are decreasing everyday every moment.
Actually I wouldn't mind reading the CM's job description and understanding more about their roles. Please go ahead and post it all out. Thanks.

On another topic, i really like the idea of having weekly development progress. This way I can see what is being worked on and have something to read about aside from angry complaints on forum. If I wanted to wait until the developers know for sure what they want to implement then I might as well wait until the patch is out.
12/12/2012 10:19 PMPosted by Lylirra
Thanks! I'm aware of what my job description is and what I'm supposed to be doing within that role. That's the easy part. What I'm asking, however, is what additional things players think I could be doing to make their experience better. Not all of the feedback in this thread may be useful, and there may be some requests that simply can't be honored, but that's okay. This still has been a really good discussion, I think, and I hope I'm able to make some positive changes as a result of it (they may not be immediately, but they're still worth following up on). :)

Indeed asking directly to the community is sensible and at times a better way, but it can backfire as well as most players here do expect a CM to be the icon of the game and the front line when it comes to in game support and inquiries and know how to 'please' or 'answer' to the community. Community in general, same like elections for presidency, wants to hear the right thing.

Its not easy dealing with us ya? As we're all humans, and humans are such a paradox to deal with. But perhaps setting a KPI in near future, with more better time responds (if possible) to critical thread will ease the tension in the forum and build a better image for the game and D3 as a whole. I believe why ppl are questioning blues respond is that D3 is currently made to be play on line only, and with the pass experience of having expansion and so on, players had become more info hungry and demanding.
I think this is how game design meetings went down

http://memegenerator.net/instance/31804432

http://memegenerator.net/instance/31804494
CM is a thankless job, so let me buck the trend and say thank you! Now you're asking for ways to improve so here is a stream of consciousness:

*Maybe CM's should specialize, have 1 CM focus on game play. Another on future patches. Another on trending topics. Everybody can interject on the fun ones :) That way I can focus on who to pay attention too.

*Make CM posts easier to find. The 'Blizz' button only works half the time. There are many CM posts that don't seem to show up at the top screen of the forums.

*Ignore the troll posts...unless they trend. It gives them validation and cheapens your brand.

*I liked the idea of some weekly/bi-weekly/monthly post. If we want the game to be popular for 5+ years you gotta go there. Tell your boss you need budget/people. Tell them Tranquility sent you.

*Yes the 3-5 day periods of silence are brutal, in a totally not actually brutal type of way.

Anyways, keep taking the high ground and above all, don't rail against the community to your messaging detriment.
Am I the only one who thinks it's embarrassing for Blizzard to have an employee asking their community how to do their job better; and then retorting with, "I'm aware of what my job description is and what I'm supposed to be doing within that role."?

How long have you been working for Blizzard?
You've made it clear that you are unable to give us the exact information that devs are currently working on because you don't want to have to retract statements if things change in the future - this is fine. Can you at least let us know things that they are looking at either implementing or changing? We don't need exact details, but at least knowing what they have in mind for moving forward would put a lot of minds at ease. Maybe for instance "the developers are currently looking at improving the way that monks generate spirit" or "the developers are currently looking into adding diversity to class x's builds."

At least statements like these would give people hope - something to look forward to as opposed to the same monotonous grind.

A lot of people have already said it, lack of communication is killing things right now - at least with regards to pertinent information.
In all honesty (addressing the blues & company), I really don't think there is anything more you can do to make things better. None of you seem to have really any clear impact on the direction of the game (which is fine). You supposedly are supposed to take our ideas to the powers at be for consideration but that always seems to fall on deaf ears (which is fine because all you can really do is relay our message).

The only things I would suggest you do as to stop fueling the hatred of people is to stop posting in threads that have no real impact on the games problems. Threads like talking about what builds you like to play, or cats (as someone pointed out though I never saw that post).

Threads that crop up every day and players continually echo on the games problems are : PvP, class balance, bad itemization, no diversity, items are boring, most skills are useless/boring.. things like that. These are the threads you guys need to be posting in, not the other threads. Your only going to enrage a large majority of people.

Think of it this way, your a broom salesperson. You notice this house where you can clearly see there is some sort of funeral going on, so you then knock on the door and proceed to try and sell your brooms. Your just asking for it; better judgement is going to tell you, "ya I better stay away from that house, it's just going to anger everybody.

Same idea here; don't do anything that's going to enrage people. As much as some of you may like to talk about certain aspects of the game you like, it's not always the best choice. Discretion should be the better part of valor in that you stay away from the pointless threads.

If you are going to post, make sure you only post in the threads where people are asking for "blue posts" in regards to the games problems.. and only those threads.
This TED talk video contains the concept which will be the solution alleviate the frustration of the community.

http://www.ted.com/talks/rory_sutherland_perspective_is_everything.html

The entire 18 minute video is entertaining and useful. However, if you must, you can skip to 7:55 and listen for just 2 minutes.
Most of the outrage/grumpiness/whatever you want to call it stems from a) lack of pvp and b) lack of info on pvp.

But I'm sure you know that, and I know you're telling everyone as much as you can/know/are allowed to. And I also know that once info on pvp comes out and it launches, it will paradoxically get worse because ZOMG THIS ISN'T THE PVP WE WANTED or whatever, because, well, internets.

As for concrete suggestions on how to better interact with the community (those of us who are housebroken and aren't obvious trolls anyway), I would like to second the idea of a weekly or even bi-monthly CM/dev blog where you guys (or someone) talks about actual concrete stuff that's going to improve the game. I for one think it's come a long way and is better off than ever, but there's always room to improve. More interactive polls/features on the website having to do with actual gameplay related stuff (favorite skill/runes for each class, etc, even though you have the gameplay stats) would be cool too.

Personally, I don't really care for pvp and would like to know more about other fun endgame stuff. I really have enjoyed paragon levels, keywardens and the infernal machine. I'd love to see more stuff like that in the game, and know about it too. If you wanted more suggestions, PLEASE MAKE CRAFTING NOT TERRIBLE. Poor Haedrag.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Community Manager
12/12/2012 10:27 PMPosted by NoWay
Actually I wouldn't mind reading the CM's job description and understanding more about their roles. Please go ahead and post it all out. Thanks.

We don't have a posting specifically for Diablo III open right now, but this should give you an idea(ish): http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=120007O

There are multiple different positions within a single community team, though, with varying responsibilities. Some focus completely on publishing content on blog and forums, some focus more on social media interactions and fostering engagement, and some focus more managing projects.

It's my last post for the night as I don't really see this going anywhere good. I just think, once a week, the CMs should take the top one or two questions or issues plastered all over these forums to a dev and then provide that feedback back towards the players. Like i said, it should be a 2 way street. I think that's one simple way of improving things. It would be cool if the players could vote on whats being ask. Kinda like a weekly event.

We've discussed doing something like this before, but the inevitable downside is what happens if the highest voted questions were topics we really didn't have any new information for, or weren't in a position to comment?

Now, that doesn't mean we can't take your idea and adapt it into something similar or more workable (that might take some experimentation, though). Again, awesome food for thought.
This thread is more fun then the actual game itself
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]