Diablo® III

Disappointing Blue Posts

Well, I would say that you could improve by returning to the blunt responses like what Bashiok was giving us.

Many hated his approach, but I personally hate the sugar-coated responses that sound scripted. I know you guys are just trying to sound professional and I can respect that, but nothing commands respect more so than a CM that can put things out to the public in as plain and blunt a method as possible.

Example:

Players asks: "Am I a noob?"

Good response: Based on your play style, yes you are a noob and you should probably try harder.

Bad response: "Based on your play style, no you are not a noob, you just need to have more diligence in improving your skills"

They both ultimately say the same thing, but one of these responses is designed to soften the blow, which I find offensive. Say what you mean and mean what you say... if people get offended by the harsh truth of things, that is their problem, not yours.
12/12/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
Okay, so. How do you think we could improve?

Answer this one question, I think a lot of people want to know:

Is there any chance that there will be an offline mode in the future?

If not, I can at least forget about Diablo 3 instead of permanently trying to stay updated about it in the vague hope that it might happen with an addon or something.
Good to see so many posts in this thread Lylirra, I can feel the love!

I honestly think the ideas about weekly roundups/updates/blogs are so popular because of the age we live in, with instant information everywhere we look. That said, they can do nothing but lighten spirits on the forums.

I think you do a great job of listening to us, and I think many players either overlook or have not felt the pressure of being a primary conduit of sorts for a multimillion dollar company. Controlling an inventory whose worth over $8M, I personally understand the red tape you have to deal with.

Best wishes, come back soon!

1. Lower the $1.00 fee at the RMAH, make it a percentage like the GAH
2. Access to the AH's at another computer/device
3. Gear comparator in the AH's (red green)
4. Offline play availability would fix constant rubberbanding
5. Socketed item quest
6. Diamond gems for all resistance
7. Eliminate random in game merchants ( i pick up garbage to keep the water supply clean) instead have these be elites
8. Add some rooms/caves to the puny ACT 4
9. Listen to those people wanting PVP ( not for me but I hear it a lot)
12/12/2012 09:31 PMPosted by Lylirra
There you guys go, the blue admitting they are mainly here to talk about frivolous topics.

There you guys go, a player taking a blue quote out of context. ;)

The font may be blue, but Lylirra's posts in this thread have been pure moderator GOLD!

I modded a minor D2 forum back in the day, it was way more tame than this mosh pit. I would never want your job!

This thread full is of gems and turds, boy scouts and trolls, fanbois and haters, hyperbole and hypocrisy. Everyone demanding that they be heard, and listening to no one! It's a microcosm of the battle.net forum chaos.

You waded in with your shields down and walked out the other side unruffled.

My hat is off to you Lylirra. This thread should go to the mod hall of fame.
Start by reading all the critiques made by players since release. And there are TONS of them.

I get the feeling you guys are ONLY searching for positive feedback and ignoring the rest

This perception actually really confuses me given how many changes we've made to the game based on player feedback and criticisms, and how frequently we actually say that we're listening.

Here are a few quick examples that I can recall from memory:

There's also changes made to drop rates, Legendary items, reducing repair costs, reducing the challenge gap between monster types, removing Invulnerable Minions, removing enrage timers, revising CC, improving resource spenders, improving how item affixes roll, adding Paragon, adding new shrines, giving more benefit to in-game events and Resplendent Chests, AH features, and more.

Given that, I don't understand why so many players say that we aren't taking player feedback into consideration. Is there something we could perhaps do better to make this fact more clear?

Stuff listed above are modest or simple quality of life changes that were inevitable. Action bar locking should have been a given before launch. Really.

The critique posts I am referring addresses the major issues of this game. Threads that may reach 26 pages or 500 posts and are highly rated before they self-lock and fade away into obscurity. None of the fundamental problems about the game outlined in those posts have been adequately addressed.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 12/13/2012 8:51 AM PST
12/13/2012 08:34 AMPosted by Wolf
Is there any chance that there will be an offline mode in the future?

This was established before the game even came out and commented on since: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/08/04/blizzard-vp-surprised-over-fan-reaction-to-diablo-3-online-requirements/ http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/19/diablo-3-always-online-requirement-critical-to-d3s-long-term-integrity-says-blizzard-boss/

Just from an "amount of software development work" standpoint, offline mode seems pretty unlikely. One reason to go online-only is to greatly cut down on dev work (the server-side logic doesn't need to also have a client-side equivalent). Offline mode would take up dev time and kick a lot of other improvements off the roadmap.

If your hopes for the game hinge on offline mode, I'd definitely move on... personally I played D2 online-only also so it's fine for me.
The critique posts I am referring addresses the major issues of this game. Threads that may reach 26 pages or 500 posts and are highly rated before they self-lock and fade away into obscurity. None of the problems in those posts have been adequately addressed.

The patches so far greatly exceeded my expectations (they had a lot more change than I thought the team would be able to do in the time available, and almost all positive changes).

That said, I agree there are some very-often-referenced "big picture" complaints that haven't had any comment from Blizzard, and some kind of "we hear you on this" post on some of those complaints would probably go a long way to chilling out the forums.

At the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see a patch in the next 6 months tackle some of that stuff head-on. I expect getting PvP out is using a lot of developer bandwidth and once that's in the rear view mirror there could be more focus on other areas that come up over and over. And of course there HAS to be an expansion in the works, so some large batch of changes will be in there rather than in patches.
- Technical Support
View profile
I agree with the last statement. However, it's not what she's doing, it's how she's doing it. It'd be better of her to ignore posts where she might have to "defend" herself.

It seems however, that a certain lack of professionalism is a requirement for employment with Blizzard.

I would say I'm seeing far more professionalism from Lylirra so far than in most of the posts directed toward her in this thread. I find it rather ironic you say what you did only to have the one you're attacking turn her cheek the other way time and again.

If people had to "avoid posts where they would have to defend themselves", we'd never have any meaningful posts here at all. All we'd have are trivial and mundane topics of no value whatsoever. Personally, I prefer conversations where something fruitful will come of it.

I think we're all above the third grade level here in terms of the capability of reasoning and comprehension, at least I hope we are. But for those that might not be able to handle themselves in a calm manner and not attack the nearest CM for anything and everything...well, guess what? Those CMs are also moderators. They do this wonderful thing called, amazingly enough, moderation. If a player cannot behave, then they get moderated and maybe even a timeout from the forums, hopefully to return with the lesson learned that it isn't a good thing to be a jerk.

Lylirra and the rest of the CMs should be able to have good conversations with us without constantly having to sit somebody in the corner until they can behave again. This isn't pre-school, ya know.

:)

My suggestion? Fix build diversity. Right now Monks are a joke, as this pains me to say it is true. We only have one solid build apart from TR builds, and spirit regen is HARD to come by in high amount to do anything worth while.

Our 3 set .33 SPS..really? I mean come on now, This is just a slap in the face and serves no purpose.

FoT:TC is the most popular rune? Cause it is our ONLY good one. There is no reason to take any other rune because our mobility as the *fast paced speed warrior* is barley there at all!. Make all the other Spirit generators just as fast!, Give us offensive passives please!!

Dashing strike should not require a target. My reason for this? DH's get vault, barbs get sprint, Wizards get teleport, WD's get spirit walk. ALL of these are tools for mobility and damage reduction that DO NOT require a target. Monks? We have to have a target on screen, and with the way the camera is set up, it is almost worthless to dash a short distance unless you can catch a mob on the small corner of your screen. This is why FoT:TC is so useful, because it is our dashing strike in one, and therefore making the ability almost pointless. Our Abilities cost TOO MUCH spirit!! Why can we not generate more over time? Dodges should generate spirit or something! Getting 6 spirit regen on gear with decent stats is going to cost a hundreds of millions! It is just insane. I think the whole monk class needs a revamp like what was done with the WD back in later patches.

Don't nerf barbs, keep them as is, THEY are good and stable, BUFF EVERYONE ELSE TO THEIR SYNERGY LEVEL.

Lack of communication as stated in here PAINS MY SOUL. I like the casual blue posts, I do. But with SO many players BEGGING for fixes, changes, buffs, nerfs, and we never get to hear a word of it? ALL we EVER get is "Soon". I go onto WoW forums and there are posts about class changes and fixes and plans ALL THE TIME. Why don't we as one of Blizzard's biggest games deserve that same kind of attention? I often feel like we are just set to the side and not cared about at all.

If this gets read and my message understood I would be very grateful. I think the game has the potential to be THE BEST ARPG in the world, just as D2 was after many years of work. I just hate that there are so many good suggestions, and almost no communication of these changes happening.

Hoping for the best,
Braintrain.
12/12/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Lylirra
I'm currently asking what -- in your opinion -- the CM team can do to better serve the Diablo III community. (You guys already provide us with your thoughts on how the game could be improved, and we're definitely appreciative of that fact.)

I'm guessing you would appreciate a simple solution that doesn't give you CM's a lot of extra work. So how about a weekly update thread?

Sticky it and give us any development updates you can or comments on hot topics. Real time information is what we need. People leave the game when they seldom get updates or cannot find the info you've provided in other threads. It will be right there at the top of the forums every week. We'll have our info and be able to ask our questions. We will be content with the knowledge that specific issues are at least being looked. You'll have a singular location to give us what info you can.
ppl want more transparency with the developers but if they had it then they would just complain every time the developers changed a design decision and it would lead to more headaches for blizz. it's just one of the many curses related to be being a big name developer. that being said, Lylirra, I think most ppl just want to know that their ideas and suggestions are being acknowledged. try to chime in on more threads to let us know that the ideas are being passed along.
85 Undead Priest
To expand an idea that the CMs could do (rather than the devs) that both I and others in this thread have suggested:

Post a sticky. Keep it updated. It should contain three sections: recognized issues, developer decisions, and implemented changes. Issues should move from one section to another as their status changes.

Recognized issues:
A list of concerns that have been recognized, and the developers are thinking about. No promises. They may decide something isn't a concern, they may decide to fix it, it may happen in the next patch or years down the road. But just the recognition that the CMs have seen the concerns, documented them, and passed them on (posted in a centralized place) would go a long way towards alleviating the impression that players aren't being listened to.

Developer decisions:
Issues that the developers have considered, and their responses. Once again, no promises, just their current feelings. This would help players understand which direction the game is going, what the developers are currently thinking about, which issues are likely to be resolved, and perhaps most importantly, which never will be.

Players need to know when what they're asking for just isn't a good fit for the game, they're never going to see it, and if it's that important to them, they should go somewhere else. I.E. offline mode, allocatable stat points, skill trees, etc. There are so many topics that have been brought up, the developers have responded to them, and that response has been lost to history, buried in the forums somewhere, and so people ask them again. Link to those explanations.

Implemented changes:
A list of everything that has been done as a direct result of player feedback, whether it be general concerns, or specific player suggestions that have been implemented. That way people will have somewhere to turn to to show how the game has changed in response to player feedback, instead of the forums being overwhelmed by the constant claims that Blizzard doesn't listen.

But once again, the important thing is to keep it updated. It's disheartening when things like the "Known issues" list on the bug report forum is constantly out of date.
Are you guys looking at underused skills/runes/passives to maybe improve upon the ones that really suck?
When the CM said, "how can we improve?", they meant how can the CM's interaction improve with us, not the game. Keep actual game suggestions out of the thread to stop it clouding the issue.

:/
ya i agree... it would be nice to have more responsive blue comments... getting a blue response is like winning the lottery
more response on serious issues
Edited by ROSS#2551 on 12/13/2012 2:54 PM PST

I think the main problem is that many of the important topics or concerns that people really want to hear about get lost in the cluster that is the 'General Discussion' forum. The problem is that it is just....too....general. You've got who knows how many tens or hundreds of thousands of people posting with different opinions of hate and love and it's no surprise that the CM's cannot respond or even see the vast majority of these posts.

Take this thread for example, half of the responses have nothing to do with the topic of the thread - Lylirra asked for ways to improve the interaction with the community and people are still droning on about itemization, build diversity, and the satan spawned RMAH! I mean I agree there are problems but this isn't the thread to express or discuss them.

What I think you need is another sub forum. Have it heavily moderated by a select group of your green members or members that we all can agree care about the direction of the game and will ask the questions and bring forth the issues that we all want to be addressed. Keep the hate threads, cat threads, rate the guy above you threads and the rest of the filth in the general forums - and when you're feeling brave or bored or both you can sift through that pile of crap and attempt to put out some fires or hell even start some - whatever floats your boat.

The point of this new 'sub forum' however, would be to bring forth only a handful of issues on a daily or weekly basis. Put trust in these moderators to interact with the CMs in a civilized way, and get the information we seek in a organized simple format. Limit who can post on these forums and limit the number of threads, so it doesn't get inundated with crap like the general forum does. Maybe create three major topics per week - and if it turns out to be something Blizzard is 'not in a position to comment on' - then so be it! But you need to tell us that. Tell us that it is never going to happen, or that it's a possibility in the distant future, don't just leave us in the dark.

I don't post a lot on these forums but I do lurk a lot and when I do, I'm always going straight to the blue posts (insert Dos Equis meme). It would be nice to have a place to go to where I know the most important issues at hand are being discussed in a place that isn't flooded with meaningless drivel. Just my opinion.
Edited by IronKenichi#1902 on 12/13/2012 9:32 AM PST

I post every so often with things I believe would make the game better or suggestions or ideas with little to no response. These topics are not inflammatory enough to get a lot of views but I have never had Blue respond to any suggestions or requests for information. I realize not every single post can be replied to or addressed (however most of the users of the forums are able to read everything - why not the people paid to do so?) but sometimes it is disheartening to see responses to certain threads while worthy threads get no love.

Example posted yesterday with no response was about a Design clean up and removing all of the dead time waiting for NPCs to open paths / doors / progress. Why isn't there a mode after beating the game 4 times to play without the linear, NPC driven, cutscene-oriented Story Mode? Why not a farming only mode or a quick way to get into the guts of farming without the hand holding, slow to progress, waiting for NPCs, story mode?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]