Diablo® III

Disappointing Blue Posts

12/13/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Javrius
Post a sticky. Keep it updated. It should contain three sections: recognized issues, developer decisions, and implemented changes. Issues should move from one section to another as their status changes.

Hard to do well, but great idea. Even if the "decisions" part were left out, it would probably go a long way.

Make the "we heard you" recognized list really long and exhaustive, and it will be clear that any given patch will only touch a small fraction.
90 Undead Hunter
Maybe take a a page out of Sanya Thomas-Weathers book of CMing??
If none of you know who she is check her out on LinkedIn or any search engine you use(http://www.linkedin.com/in/sanyathomasweathers)

I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a community board, website, forum, what have you. . . since the DAoC Herald. When i think back to those "good ole days" i actually can smile and think back to how close the community was with the developers, CMs and one another.

Most of the blue posts I read do not instil those feelings in me. To be honest it just seems to get worse and worse as the months go by. I have to be the lamest duck in the room, but even though I rarely post I even feel like "blizzard" isn't listening to "us". I don't feel like we're valued in any respect. I feel like I am just handing over my money every month to play games (which to me have degraded in quality over time) and get B-slapped on the forums.

Some of the responses I see from blues i am honestly shocked. I mean Jay Willson's twitter tirade about the other developer for Torchlight + Blizzard North. Even Bashiok has had some temper tantrums on the forums. I understand the forums arent very healthy and its because of the users. But I really dont think (no matter what the reason) Blizzard should stoop to the same lows as the trolls. Actually disgusts me because I expect more and hold Blizzard up to such a higher standard than that.

I dunno. . . I guess I am just getting more and more disappointed with the community as a whole, Blizzard, Diablo and WoW. I know Diablo III isn't Diablo II. . . but it really should have been. It's just been disappointment after disappointment.

Oh. .. so Back to Sanya. How about a Grab Bag Friday?? I know you dont want to Q&A on every thread someone posts. . . How about your fans submit questions and the CMs answer 10 a week? (PERTAINING TO THE GAME, not how fuzzy your kitty is) It doesn't have to be answers to questions like " When is the PVP patch?" But maybe control the type of questions you're asked. . . .
Edited by Tiernan#1867 on 12/13/2012 9:54 AM PST
12/12/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
Okay, so. How do you think we could improve?

Can you tell to the one guy who develop the missing content from the game to hurry up?
Get rid of the auction house.
It is obviously there to generate whatever small revenue that it does.
The whole thing ruins the game to go hunting for your own drops. Why play the game when I can just dish out some money and buy all the best gear? What kind of greedy logic is that?

All this has done was show that the hackers beat you so bad that you created an entire way for them to keep doing it(An Auction House). OR is it that the guys who hacked diablo2 to hell became the current developers who are now spamming and bot farming to sell the stuff for real money? None of it makes any sense......

Add pvp arena.
Not balanced? But Blizzard can balance 3 races to play in a pvp strategy game (starcraft) 5 in warcraft, and all the classes in world of warcraft....but can't handle simple diablo 3 characters.
very strange

Offline mode.
A. Why even have Hardcore mode with the constant threat of freezing in game due to a lag spike and dying losing all that progress? No sense at all.
B. [i]Worried about hackers so you stream online now? clearly not with the constant spam i get from people selling the stuff they get with their farmer bots.... who I think work hand in hand with blizzard, just like the guys that spam in Diablo 2 with the same things.
Anybody can log in and play and get hit with spammers and hackers.

The silence is overwhelmingly deafening about every single key issue.
Gotta love the age old saying, "If it looks and sounds like a Duck....well then it's a Duck!"
Meaning that the reason these things will never get fixed is because they are making enough money from this product to ignore what the people were expecting and wanting.

This entire game as it is and how it is being handled is so far out there in the twilight zone strange, never the less I'm not surprised.
Edited by WAR#1474 on 12/13/2012 10:01 AM PST
Wow, never saw so many Blue post in a single thread. :-) I only have read those though, not everyone's post over 21 pages so I'm posting because maybe I'll learn where to ask next time.

Usually I try to ask good questions right here, where I'm looking for an answer. I know since a few months (well since the forum went live) that chances are very low of getting an answer from Blizzard here but I ask anyway because I don't know any other alternative. Is there an email where to send such questions and expect an answer? Do I need to open a ticket for any question?

For example, I recently asked why the shrines don't stay on the map once discovered, unlike health pool for example. That's a good one, isn't? There could be a few reasons and I wanted to ask in case this could be discussed and possibly modified in a future update but no Blue joined and no idea if it was noted on a pad for discussion.

Would love if there was a way of you telling us that a Blue or Blizzard have read it. Then no need to discuss every single thread (I understand this would be a full time job) but at least I would know I was considered, whatever the result is. Maybe add a flag or a checkmark to a post that was read by Blizzard?

I must go back to work, thanks for your strong participation in this thread.

Best Regards
The only updates we've gotten on the future of the game have been from Jay's twitter posts. I think you can understand why people are frustrated, it was intimated that PVP would be released sometime this year this does not seem possible anymore and what ensues is the current state of the forums with people asking about PvP every other post. I personally would like to know what 1.0.7 will contain (just a hint) or at the very least if we will be getting a dev blog on that patch. Some people seem to think it will be a class balance patch, not sure how true this is.

That's totally understandable. We do want to update players on PvP once all the details are finalized. We're not at that point yet, but Jay understands that it sucks to wait and has been trying to bridge that gap via direct updates on Twitter. He's a good dude and really cares this community, despite so many statements to the contrary. =/

That is exactly our point man, you don't have to wait until all details are finalized, that is the core of your problem here. You have to inform your community of how are things going, status and what are the challenges. I understand that you have certain restrictions, but you gotta be more open with us man.

Your problem is that you wait so long to give us something, that people get frustrated, when they get frustrated their level of demand increase a great deal, and when hat happens if what you release is not up to our standards (see what I did there? :D) everyone start ragin and that's how you loose players.

Let me give you an idea of what I'm trying to say. Lets consider the PvP issue for a sec. If you inform the community what is going on with that, the following things will happen:
Read the first line of OP's post, got to "I've played since beta" and stopped reading.

We're ALL playing beta =^/
[quote]Given that, I don't understand why so many players say that we aren't taking player feedback into consideration. Is there something we could perhaps do better to make this fact more clear?

That's because many people on this forum are trolls and people wanting the game to fail. Many of us are too busy with real life and when we have free time, we're playing the game, not actively causing trouble on the forums here and making the community look like a bunch of winey teens and a-holes.

I have a lot of fun with Diablo 3 - that's the most important - so I know there's hope. Monster power was a nice addition added and was taken from Diablo II; honestly we need more features from Diablo II put into Diablo III, and we also need more innovations that improve on the core concepts that make the game great already.

These are some nice simple suggestions, but would make for some good improvement to the game.

-add 100 more legendary items, including a lot of normal, nightmare and hell.
-add 20 more sets
-add 15 more unique stats
-add 3 new types of gems
-make white items useful
-make blue items useful
-add super super rare (tradeable) "unique skill learning books"
-allow us to chose where to put stats when we level
-remove capping from everything: mf, runspeed, IAS,...
-allow to go from 1 act to next in-game
-allow for 6 players
-allow us to join mp1-10 games based on a filter.
-remove "unique equipped"
-remove "account bound"
-add new monster affix

Along with those, I think making the different damage types (cold, fire, lightning, physical, arcane, poison, holy) have unique properties - like how it was in the beta, and improving many of the skill runes would go a long way in making the character builds and customization all the more deeper and more satisfying - straight up dps builds are not for everyone, despite the fact that many beta tests played that way.

Also, improving monster density across the acts would make the game a lot more fun. I feel like there's parts of the maps where the battles are fun and it really feels like - for brief moments - like you're fighting the legions of hell; then it ends and then the majority of the time you're just skirmishing with small packs of monsters. I'd love to see wandering "herds" of zombies in Act 1 for example, or regiments of demons moving around in act 3 and overwhelming the soldiers.

Right now I feel too much is being held back for the future expansions, but the problem is Blizzard held back so much, it made the game at first release feel so bare and stripped down to what it really could be.
The only updates we've gotten on the future of the game have been from Jay's twitter posts. I think you can understand why people are frustrated, it was intimated that PVP would be released sometime this year this does not seem possible anymore and what ensues is the current state of the forums with people asking about PvP every other post. I personally would like to know what 1.0.7 will contain (just a hint) or at the very least if we will be getting a dev blog on that patch. Some people seem to think it will be a class balance patch, not sure how true this is.

That's totally understandable. We do want to update players on PvP once all the details are finalized. We're not at that point yet, but Jay understands that it sucks to wait and has been trying to bridge that gap via direct updates on Twitter. He's a good dude and really cares this community, despite so many statements to the contrary. =/

That is exactly our point man, you don't have to wait until all details are finalized, that is the core of your problem here. You have to inform your community of how are things going, status and what are the challenges. I understand that you have certain restrictions, but you gotta be more open with us man.

Your problem is that you wait so long to give us something, that people get frustrated, when they get frustrated their level of demand increase a great deal, and when hat happens if what you release is not up to our standards (see what I did there? :D) everyone start raging and that's how you loose players.

Let me give you an idea of what I'm trying to say. Lets consider the PvP issue for a sec. If you inform the community what is going on with that, the following things will happen:

- You will be calming the anxiety of a group of people who regularly start the fire on every single massive drama that we get.
- The community will be properly inform and actually we will be able to give you opinions focused on the problematic and not based on speculation. This way the process of prioritizing that what should be change ASAP will be automatic.
- You will have less post to rad because all the non productive threads will partially cease, as a result you will be able to offer responses on serious matter and have time to talk about everyone's pets!
- The community will be more united. And the damaged relationship between Blues-Players will start healing.
- You will be bringing back, certain part of the player base that left because of the lack of communication.
- Finally you will sleep better at night!!!

You are freaking Blizzard!! I'm sure this is not a challenge because it's simply obey the rules of public relationships. Plus it is a win-win situation, there is not a bad outcome. I know the company has some rules that might interfere with all of this but sometimes you gotta bend some rules in order to better yourself. Honesty man that is what we are asking for. Include the people in the process and not at the very end of it when decisions are already made. I appreciate al the efforts the team has done so far but it's too little when you whant to keep private so many things. (violin music stop playing).

Cheer mate!
90 Draenei Priest

You cant.
Its obvious by now nobody in Acti/Blizz who matters cares. Bobby Kotick got what he wanted out of your IP and I doubt he wants to see a dime roll back into this game to create a better product. Just force a sequel or expansion until Diablo is six feet under with all the other Activision IPs milked to death.
The only satisfying posts from a blue I can think of would get you or whoever else fired for slamming your company so hard.
So lets just keep moving along pretending everyone cares about the game and that things will be so much better some day.
I am sure my opinion will be lost in the shuffle and won't mean as much since I have moved on from D3, but here is what I think CMs could do to improve communication with players (this may have been mentioned elsewhere).

There are tons of great suggestions and CMs frequently take these back to the Dev team. Of this, I am positive. What we, as a community don't get much of are the reasons behind why a change wasn't implemented. While I realize there is a point at which good business practice demands that not all conversations be made public, it would be nice to understand why a lot of changes are ultimately turned down. Was it too difficult to program within the framework of existing structure? Did it ultimately just come down to a "we have an alternate idea" kind of thing?

One example I would possibly use is to question why something like increasing skill power based on paragon level went nowhere? The game is gear dependent to a fault and something like this would do a lot to alleviate this issue. Please note, I am not asking for an answer to that specifically, but it is something that I suggested a long time ago and I think is a good example of what I am talking about.

I am not expecting a blue post on everything or anything at all on my posts really, it is more that when the community comes up with an idea (like several of Droth's larger posts), it simply seems like they hit the post limit and disappear into the nether regions of the forum. I, for one, would like to know that the discussion had more merit than simply being another post that eventually went away. It might have been considered. It might not have been. We will never know which seems ridiculous on posts as popular as some of those.

If you mean how can you improve Diablo 3? Start here: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6935294656?page=7#133

Diablo 3 is a static game that is mostly brightness, little darkness, and zero horror.
Diablo 3 should be a random game that is mostly darkness and plenty of horror.

I want an isometric Diablo 1 / Amnesia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesia:_The_Dark_Descent )

I don't want dead ends, I want to be able to stalk around corners carefully like I did back in Diablo 1. If I hit a dead end, use procedural generation to extend the passageway, or to cause a wall to cave in and provide more room to explore.

I want the darkness to be stifling. I don't want to see the monsters until they're nearly right in my face. I don't want to run around corners with all guns blazing, I want to sneak around them, whilst shaking in my boots.

Following a set path is not fun. Getting lost in a deep, dark dungeon is fun.
Where is the atmosphere that was in Diablo 1? Diablo 2 lost 80% of that atmosphere. Diablo 3 has lost 99% of that atmosphere.

Light radius, people! It's a concept that worked well and should never have been removed.
You guys can make these games as easy to play as you want. You can make doing literally everything in the game as convenient as humanly conceivable. People will still complain about it.

This is the fan base of new. They are the millions you seek to attract.

This game is in much better shape than release, and feels very much like a Diablo game again.
I believe that the blues and dev team are really doing their best. Alot of posts I see here is that blizzard don't listen to the community and don't make changes for them. For me I think this isnt true.
Firstly this isn't some private server where changes could be patched easily. They have to weigh the pros and cons and really test things out. This is a game that targets a wide region and a couple of patches ain't gonna satisfy everyone. There's bound to be unhappiness here and there.
Secondly I don't think blizzard will make changes just for the minority of the gamers here. Granted there are some very good suggestions, but they are not just gonna change things based on those suggestions alone. Give it a while more.
Thirdly, keep up the good work. Although sometimes the downtime really gets to me but I believe you guys can do better!
12/13/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Javrius
Post a sticky. Keep it updated. It should contain three sections: recognized issues, developer decisions, and implemented changes. Issues should move from one section to another as their status changes.

good concept, i like it
but i think it's better to have 3 stickies, or more, that are directly related to improving the game
one of them should be "Suggestions for the next patch"
2nd one should be "Issues, bugs report & specific comments/suggestions about the previous patch"
the last one could be what the developers are thinking or working on, like reports, or even outlooks for D3 in the farther future
there should probably be a sticky for PvP development until its release, then it will be divided again into suggestions and issues/bugs report parts
View profile
We are just starving for information about a game we are very passionate about, but likely rather bored of playing. We are looking for hope that change is around the corner. and that our persistance in staying will ultimately pay off. Blizzard needs to share more information and get players excited again, and instead of using twitter, they should really throw the CMs a bone and allow them to present it to the forums. It would be a huge turnaround. Allowing information to break in the game's official forums isn't a bad thing, and should be expected. That builds community. Also, CMs providing feedback from devs on issues, questions, ect that arise from the forums would be nice aswell.

I think alot of players are hard on CMs not because players think they actually make the game, but because they are the only connection frustrated players have to getting answers, and players are quite frankly not getting many answers. But once again, it's not the CMs fault.
Edited by the5rites#1313 on 12/13/2012 11:08 AM PST
90 Draenei Priest
You guys can make these games as easy to play as you want. You can make doing literally everything in the game as convenient as humanly conceivable. People will still complain about it.

This is the fan base of new. They are the millions you seek to attract.

This game is in much better shape than release, and feels very much like a Diablo game again.

Yes and Back to the Future, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Superman 64 are all some of the best games ever made.
It is so obvious every bad game that someone doesn't like is just due to it being way to hard for the person complaining.
A bad game is bad. Beating it doesn't make you cool nor does it make peoples complaints about it invalid.

Since you said that you are listening to players and their ideas, and would like to engage in a discussion on some, I invite you to see this post

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7178927832

and pass along that to Diablo 3 developers.
Since I am a Software Developer myself, I would like to hear their opinions. Feel free to post on that thread, you and/or the developers.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]