Diablo® III

How cost-effective is your Monk??

Character Name Xenia
Combined cost of current gear ~144 Mil (Going by memory, not purchase records)
DPS Unbuffed 66,240
EHP Unbuffed 754,178
Reply Quote
I see where you are coming from and yes, I do agree with you on your points. Gear has depreciated significantly since the purchase of most of my gear, so my price is indeed pretty inflated and I hope nobody would have to spend as much as I have to get to my level.Perhaps the point is that as more people post, it will become more clear which ones have geared with recent costs vs. old costs, and anyone looking at this for ideas on gearing cost will gravitate towards the posts that give lowest cost vs. DPS/EHP results as the new bar to be set as far as bang-for-buck. It can hopefully dispel the myth that monks necessarily have to cost a fortune to gear, when they see what can be done at low prices.Perhaps if you posted details about one of your recent sets (contained in your gearing thread), that could be a bar that people could look to as inspiration of what can be done at a low cost with the most current of prices. Seeing this information in more threads may be helpful to junior monks who have just graduated into inferno and trying to figure out gearing costs. :)

This is really well-said Nameless, and gets at my intention when starting this thread.

Just because there are thousands of factors that impact the cost-effectiveness of gear (when it was bought, if it was found, etc) doesn't mean that the concept of cost-effectiveness is flawed. I think, at the end of the day, all of us Monks are trying to find ways to improve in a cost-effective way, so having a thread that has many nuggets of wisdom from those willing to share can be beneficial.

In that regard, I do think people should share as much qualifying information as they would like. I tried to keep it simple with total cost, DPS and EHP so people would not feel overwhelmed if they wanted to share, but I like that people have shared additional details that give more meaning to the numbers and gear choices.

Cheers, Monks!
Edited by TexaStranger#1793 on 12/12/2012 9:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
As far as prices go. They have definitely been rising for mid-high tier items. Also it depends on what's on the market at the moment, sometimes you can build a set for 5m, another day it might cost you 15.

Low tier items are still very affordable I built a 60k, 640 res for 7m off BIN items..
Edited by scrapz#1142 on 12/12/2012 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
80k dps
575k ehp
40 mil approx
Reply Quote

This is really well-said Nameless, and gets at my intention when starting this thread.

Just because there are thousands of factors that impact the cost-effectiveness of gear (when it was bought, if it was found, etc) doesn't mean that the concept of cost-effectiveness is flawed. I think, at the end of the day, all of us Monks are trying to find ways to improve in a cost-effective way, so having a thread that has many nuggets of wisdom from those willing to share can be beneficial.

Well of course the concept of cost-effective gear is a good one. However, the concept of this thread IS flawed because nobody is providing information for when they bought their gear. So if I were to post that I spent 100 million gold and my stats are 100k dps and 450 EH, would that be cost effective? Nobody would have any idea unless you knew when I bought my gear. If I bought it three months ago, that would be fantastic. If I bought it today, that would be horrendous.

Here is an example: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435884?page=1#5
Similar stats (and really the more recent one is better) for half the price, simply because the cost of gear depreciated that much in less than a month.

In terms of personal examples:
- When 1.05 came out, I spent 3-4 days bidding on Inna pants that had 9% AS and 40+ resist before I finally got mine for a little over 20 million - this was a great deal at the time. Looking in the AH now, you can get 40+ resist, 9% AS pants for under 2 million buyout.
- I spent 8 million on my Inna's belt. I can get a similar one for 2 million buyout today.
- I spent around 35 million on my Nat's boots. You can find similar ones (40+ res) for as low as 6 million now.
- I spent 18 million on my Inna's chest. I can get a similar one for under 8 million (under 5 if you don't care about 5% dmg reduction vs 6%).

Looking at what stats you got for your money isn't enough. It's simply lacking one of the most important pieces of information - when you bought it. The crazy thing is, as much as prices have dropped since 1.05 ... imagine how much they've dropped since 1.04. Or heck, since 1.03!

As much as I love the concept of this thread, it's just not providing the information that you want it to.
Edited by Piffle#1874 on 12/12/2012 11:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi All, new Monk here.

Name: Lee Sin (1.0.6. Monk)
Cost: 50mil give or take (Excluding Rings and Bracers)
DPS: 100,452.60
EHP: 585,694

Being new to the class, I am open to any opinions and/or advice on my gearing.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
12/12/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Piffle
As much as I love the concept of this thread, it's just providing the information that you want it to.

The thread may not be providing the information you want it to, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of useful information. The irony is that you, by sharing examples aimed at discrediting the usefulness of this thread, are helping us all think about cost-effectiveness more broadly. If this thread morphs into a discussion on what is and is not cost-effective, that would be awesome and informative.
Reply Quote
Typo, should have said this thread is NOT providing the information you want :/

Either way, if you think that helped, then great.
Reply Quote
Name SirMonksAlot
DPS 105k ish
EHP in MP10 gear 560K (d3rawr)
How much spent on Gear to date: 300-400 M since 1.02
Current value of gear... guessing 100M (without gems) (kinda sad I have spent 4 times that for it though)
Reply Quote
View profile
I have run with my monk since Day one so I have lost count on how much my current build cost either gold or time. Unfortunately, it would be safe to say that he is as cost effective as trying set up a ski resort in the middle east. It has been done but not cost effective at all. With that in mind I continue to have fun and wouldn't have done it any other way...well mostly.
Reply Quote
@Piffle @TexasStranger
I think we are all working on the same team here (to strive for the goal of maximize effectiveness of gold used in gearing), so let's not let the in-fighting disrupt us from what the thread is trying to accomplish.

I agree with Piffle in that the timing of the purchases is very important, and the fact is that many of our items have been purchased over time. I still have items on my monk that I purchased more than 2 months ago that I anticipate would have devalued in price significantly since that purchase. It will be very tedious for most of us to capture the kind of information that Piffle is suggesting to make this thread the most useful - which I completely agree with.

But I will maintain what I say though. If the readers who come into the thread and are looking to use this as inspiration for their own gearing, they should probably be advised (hint hint to the OP towards changing the wording in the front page) to treat these figures as ballpark ceiling figures on how much things should cost (at most) if they were to purchase the same gear today, knowing full well that gear does depreciate over time and/or prices fluctuate depending on what is in vogue then I think this thread can accomplish a useful goal of how much it should cost (at max) to gear up to a certain DPS / EHP level and strive to do it even cheaper if that is their goal.

The goal here for new monks (should they choose to do so) is to "outcheap" or "outbudget" anyone that posts their results in this thread, I think. It is not to be used as a point of humiliation to say "what? you paid THAT much for these results?" because Piffle would be right (I'm just imagining what he might say or type upon reading what I write) -- that would be tremendously unfair to do so given the way that the have been moving over time.

My 2 cents here anyway.
Edited by Nameless#1537 on 12/12/2012 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Name: Tien
Cost: 425m
DPS: 102k
EHP: 788k
Extras: 2.4% lifesteal, 1700 lps

Main weapon represents about 40% of the total cost of my monk, them lifesteal weps ain't cheap. I've got a inna's pant+belt for farming low MP that puts my dps/ehp to 120k/400k, cost me like 10m extra. Some of my pieces are pretty old, could probably regear for 250-300m today.
Reply Quote
Name: Overg
Cost: $0 (everything is self found by this character)
DPS: 40,921
EHP: 550,465

Inspired by Vrkhyz's "What MP level do you think I can handle?" thread, http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7338113755 ,I've recently been pushing MP levels to see what I can accomplish.

White Mobs: I can kill them on MP10. Takes forever, but it's doable.

Key runs: I've successfully done an Act 1 key run at MP7. Once again, took forever (about 46 minutes), but doable.

Key runs, efficient: MP5 is probably my most efficient time spent/drop chance MP level.

Bosses: The enrage bosses (Butcher, Belial) are extremely tough at MP4. It's probably take incredibly good crit RNG to down them on MP5.

Ubers: I've downed Skeleton King at MP2, the others at MP1. I got absolutely destroyed on the Ghom uber fight at MP3.

If you check out Vrkhyz's thread, I think you'll see his results are pretty similar (if not a better) than mine. So consider me the "baseline" for what a monk can accomplish.
Edited by overg#1771 on 12/12/2012 3:43 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]