Diablo® III

My opinions on PoE and D3

I sure hope I don't get this thread deleted as I want to create an open commentary between the qualities of Path of Exile and the general lack of D3. While both games (D3 and PoE) posses a number of qualities and flaws, there is in my opinion a superior game in various ways.

I supported the beta of PoE (10 bucks) for access to their beta before it becomes open yo the public later in January. After which point it will be free. Yes, free.

My first impressions, based on limited research, screenshots and videos led me to believe that this was a cheap remake of d2, in some ways, it was, but not in the cheap sense. This game blew me away; It is extremely intuitive, skill based and leads a huge realm of item crafting.

D3 dropped the ball on itemization, simple as that. The story is fine, the maps are fine and monsters are fine, but the itemization is the worst thing I've ever seen in any RPG. When all classes of all builds resort to a single item... you have a problem. The entire system around items is so bad that in my personal opinion, those responsible should rethink their professions (which is probably better, get out of the Blizz thumb!)

I understand that Blizz is good at redemption, and likely will achieve that after and expansion, much like D2 was to LoD. But with such an initial imbalance with real currency, new items, better items, will be taken with such distaste, you will find less players or less players to spend money.

I don't understand why Blizzard is so non-transparent with their approach, we are in the dark in regards to decisions that not only should have been made before the game was released, but be open in the public.

Needless to say, I am excited for PoE and am in the process of liquidation in D3 as in my opinion, PvP nor expansion cannot fix the deeper issues which is an over simplified game that appeals to a larger audience than intended with the Blizzard model.

D3 is an amazing foundation, but this lack of communication and lust for money in an industry where there is no(limited)money but only passion to develop great games, you will be wiped up on the floor against new competition.
Edited by AtownStomp#1129 on 12/13/2012 12:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
Very well said. Bought by beta key today.

Oh hey, Atown. :P
Reply Quote
Hahahah! That is hilarious, hello to you, sir. Shoot me your name on PoE, mines AtownStomp.
Reply Quote
If PoE ever gets exciting combat maybe it will be a good game in comparison to D3 because I agree that there are many good ideas. But combat is boring right now, combat animations are underwhelming, characters look terrible and there is never more than 10-12 mobs on the screen.

ARPGS are firstly about making you feel powerful and secondly about optimizing your character with good skill builds and items. PoE is good on the second point but right now it completely fails on the first point, the game will never be as popular as D3 unless something drastic is made about combat animations (especially for melee characters).
Reply Quote
Blizzard "wiped up on the floor" by the competition? Please do point out such a company or game? Name me one game in the same genre as any of the blizzard games that has surpassed it in sales and critical acclaim? Please, pick any one of their games, any at all, your choice. GO.

What is with all you POE guys showing up here typing out these long winded posts like some kind of love letter. POE is not as good as you crack it up to be.

POE "intuitive". LOL! don't make me laugh!! the last thing POE is, is intuitive.

It's an ugly game to start. The animations and combat is stiff and lack luster. The monster models are horrendous. You fight dirty beggars for half of act 1 along with a bunch of crap things. Act 2 has you pitted against armies of red monkey's. Dungeons are hard to navigate and are so poorly lit. The skill tree while impressive at first is just a giant passives web with a few interesting alternatives sprinkled in here or there. Itemization is awful in POE. I hated it with a passion. No currency, instead you have a bajillion orbs for every imaginable purpose.

POE will be like every other "competitor" that was supposed to kill off a Blizzard game: Soon forgotten.
Reply Quote
Blizzard "wiped up on the floor" by the competition? Please do point out such a company or game? Name me one game in the same genre as any of the blizzard games that has surpassed it in sales and critical acclaim? Please, pick any one of their games, any at all, your choice. GO.

What is with all you POE guys showing up here typing out these long winded posts like some kind of love letter. POE is not as good as you crack it up to be.

POE "intuitive". LOL! don't make me laugh!! the last thing POE is, is intuitive.

It's an ugly game to start. The animations and combat is stiff and lack luster. The monster models are horrendous. You fight dirty beggars for half of act 1 along with a bunch of crap things. Act 2 has you pitted against armies of red monkey's. Dungeons are hard to navigate and are so poorly lit. The skill tree while impressive at first is just a giant passives web with a few interesting alternatives sprinkled in here or there. Itemization is awful in POE. I hated it with a passion. No currency, instead you have a bajillion orbs for every imaginable purpose.

POE will be like every other "competitor" that was supposed to kill off a Blizzard game: Soon forgotten.

What he/she said. POE sucks, lol.
Reply Quote

I certainly beg the difference. While I do not confess my love to a video game, I can confess that this is a game with a real competitive advantage. As an avid D2 player, this rejuvenates the ideology of the diablo gaming concept.

If the current D3 is any symbol of the future, it will be lost as the general diablo population has.
Reply Quote
PoE is clumsy and buggy. Other than detailed skill tree there is nothing new or exciting about it. There is no secure trading option. It is impossible to play co-op as loot being shared by everyone.

Diablo 3 destroys PoE with combat system and amazing gameplay.
Reply Quote
PoE is clumsy and buggy. Other than detailed skill tree there is nothing new or exciting about it. There is no secure trading option. It is impossible to play co-op as loot being shared by everyone.

Nothing new? You clearly are as experienced with PoE as you are with D3 looking at your profile. There are more "new" and intuitive qualities in PoE than the entire d3 addition to the diablo series.
Reply Quote

It's why I'm hesitant to try it out, I jumped the gun with TL2 and i was disappointed. i'll wait till it's out of beta and ready for release and see what the opinion of it is then.
Reply Quote
Curious about the combat system claims. I'm sorry but in PoE you can skillfully dodge ranged attacks won't get killed by some random monster when you are "feet" away from it. The D3 game does not have a in-depth combat system at all.
Reply Quote

Nothing new? You clearly are as experienced with PoE as you are with D3 looking at your profile. There are more "new" and intuitive qualities in PoE than the entire d3 addition to the diablo series.

Clearly you don't know there is more then one server. Makes me wonder how smart you really are.
Reply Quote

I certainly beg the difference. While I do not confess my love to a video game, I can confess that this is a game with a real competitive advantage. As an avid D2 player, this rejuvenates the ideology of the diablo gaming concept.

If the current D3 is any symbol of the future, it will be lost as the general diablo population has.

It's "beg to differ".

If you think POE has a competitive advantage, you know nothing of quality or business. But, if what you say is true, the sales figures and player count will speak for itself when POE finally releases, right? I look forward to you showing me those figures.

It doesn't "rejuvenate the diablo gaming concept". All it does is copy 12 year old game design s. POE has a serious lack of iteration and quality control. The developer seems to throw any idea they have into the mix with little thought of refining the details. The currency in the game is a very good example of this.

Also, don't talk for all Diablo fans. I'm a Diablo fan. Been around since Diablo 1 days and you most certainly do not speak for me.
Reply Quote
It's why I'm hesitant to try it out, I jumped the gun with TL2 and i was disappointed. i'll wait till it's out of beta and ready for release and see what the opinion of it is then.

I hear you there. I looked at TL2 which was supposed to be the D3 killer and failed even worse. Luckly for you, after January 23rd, PoE will be free for you to try. No spending $60 on junk.
Reply Quote

Honestly, don't waste your time. If you didn't like TL2, which is a far better D2 clone, then you'll hate this.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 01:26 AMPosted by AtownStomp

I hear you there. I looked at TL2 which was supposed to be the D3 killer and failed even worse. Luckly for you, after January 23rd, PoE will be free for you to try. No spending $60 on junk.

See, it's crap like this that makes it clear you're here with an agenda, not just to give us your "opinion".

If you think D3 is "junk", even with whatever problems it has, you're clueless.
Reply Quote
12/13/2012 01:24 AMPosted by AtownStomp
Curious about the combat system claims. I'm sorry but in PoE you can skillfully dodge ranged attacks won't get killed by some random monster when you are "feet" away from it. The D3 game does not have a in-depth combat system at all.

Lmao. Alright, you can have dodging arrows if you want. I'll take precise, fluid control, visceral combat over an arrow dodge any day.

Your statement wouldn't be nearly as hilarious if POE's combat wasn't so craptacular to start with.
Reply Quote

It's "beg to differ".

If you think POE has a competitive advantage, you know nothing of quality or business. But, if what you say is true, the sales figures and player count will speak for itself when POE finally releases, right? I look forward to you showing me those figures.

It doesn't "rejuvenate the diablo gaming concept". All it does is copy 12 year old game design s. POE has a serious lack of iteration and quality control. The developer seems to throw any idea they have into the mix with little thought of refining the details. The currency in the game is a very good example of this.

Also, don't talk for all Diablo fans. I'm a Diablo fan. Been around since Diablo 1 days and you most certainly do not speak for me.

Hold on tight because you will need to as things you held deep slip away to better things.

Also, do some homework, begging the difference is far more correct than "beg the differ." Although, playing games since D1 entitles you to one thing besides a smartass, and that is a damn fool for wasting that much time on pixels and caring enough to defend D3.
Edited by AtownStomp#1129 on 12/13/2012 1:33 AM PST
Reply Quote

It's "beg to differ".

Hold on tight because you will need to as things you held deep slip away to better things.

Okay?

Also, do some homework, begging the difference is far more correct than "beg the differ."

The true idiom is 'I beg to differ' which means 'I disagree'. Please do your homework.

Although, playing games since D1 entitles you to one thing besides a smartass, and that is a damn fool for wasting that much time on pixels and caring enough to defend D3.

I'm a fool for wasting time on pixels? I guess the pot is calling the kettle black? Way to go and call every gamer out there a fool. Nice one, man.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]